Home General Discussion

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    It bugs a small OCD part of me as well that the game is set in 202x (or whenever) and all the technology fits in with the original games 'timeline'; but looks ridiculous compared to today's technology.

Really? Shanghai is going to get a second layer in the next ten years?! Jebus! O_o

E: Ha, just read this:
    Talon wrote: »
    Is the "Steiner Bisley Industries" brand a nod to Spaced?

The main characters in that being called Tim Bisley and Daisy Steiner...

Seems especially likely as the cover artist for the Deus Ex: Icarus Effect book is the same guy that drew Tim's comic artwork in the series.

That's fantastic! Well spotted! :)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    ebagg: I hear you, but consider the new Star Trek prequel/reboot.
    While they had some, albeit flimsy, story support for a more futuristic look, the truth is its simply a reality of production. As time has progressed, technology and experience allows us to create ever better designed and more compelling worlds... even when these worlds ostensibly take place prior to their lo-fi predecessors.

I would rather the game have an awesome new look, than strain too hard to match an out-dated style and hodge-podge aesthetic of a 10+ year old game.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    ebagg: I hear you, but consider the new Star Trek prequel/reboot.
    While they had some, albeit flimsy, story support for a more futuristic look, the truth is its simply a reality of production. As time has progressed, technology and experience allows us to create ever better designed and more compelling worlds... even when these worlds ostensibly take place prior to their lo-fi predecessors.

I would rather the game have an awesome new look, than strain too hard to match an out-dated style and hodge-podge aesthetic of a 10+ year old game.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, if they wait so long to make a sequel or a prequel that the previous parts of the series feel outdated, it is nearly impossible to not also be a reboot.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    vargatom wrote: »
    deusex.jpg

True story brah.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    fearian wrote: »
    Really? Shanghai is going to get a second layer in the next ten years?! Jebus! O_o

I wish I could find the image but there's a photo comparison between L.A. and Shanghai showing that Shanghai had the same amount of growth in 10 years that L.A. had in 100
  • crazyfool
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I'm longing for that game.
    Although i gave the first deus ex a try when it came out it didn't cought my attention back in the days. I'm not sure why. Maybe I was just too young or not in the mood to deal with that kind of game.

Anyway the new game really impresses me from what I've seen so far and gameplay wise its the kind of thing I was looking for during the last months.

I really love what the design teams did on the game. It's not only everything looks great and well polished but I love all those designs that I've seen so far. It some Ghost in Shell reference if you ask me.

Looking forward to it. Whenn will it come out again? I heard it was delayed recently.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The Concept artists name is Jim Murray. Used to work with him here at A2M.

The dude is absolutely ridiculous. I believe he learned how to model while at Eidos, and ended up doing a good chunk of the high poly stuff.

http://www.jimmurrayart.com/

Although he's not at Eidos anymore. He took off to work at Valve before Christmas.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    crazyfool wrote: »

The year is 2011 AND WE STILL DONT HAVE DECENT FACIAL ANIMATION!

W.T.F.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    oXYnary wrote: »
    The year is 2011 AND WE STILL DONT HAVE DECENT FACIAL ANIMATION!

W.T.F.

this.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Shame though, games like Enslaved had amazing facial animation, heck even HL2 still holds up pretty well.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Fucking pumped for this game but enough with the automated facial systems in games which are meant to be of a cinematic visual quality.

Don't listen to that retarded publisher asking you to match every language...animate the god damn thing by hand.

Your art is as good as your worst piece.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Jacque:
    Thanks for the link. This guy really is a blast.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Yea the facial animation isnt great and the stupid NPC's look dodgey but those environments look sexy :) and the story should be epic.

It annoys me when they make the main characters look great and then everyone else looks like stink. Its ruined alot of games for me, like elder scrolls, fallout, dragon age and to an extent, the first mass effect (although I love that game to death the NPCs hurt my brain). stupid facial features generating mumbo jumbo.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Malus wrote: »
    Fucking pumped for this game but enough with the automated facial systems in games which are meant to be of a cinematic visual quality.

Don't listen to that retarded publisher asking you to match every language...animate the god damn thing by hand.

Your art is as good as your worst piece.

Too true.. I hate it when those kind of shackles are forced on ><
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think you are right about this.
    But personally I'm not so much bothered by those flaws IF the game as whole has a certain level of quality and can excel in other aspects. What I mean is: Playing a game with superior gameplay or something with a well told and original story or be it amazing charakter animation in a 3rd person game or stylish environments can distract me from flaws in other areas to a degree. Excellence in on of those things can really catch my attention and thus I'm willing to ignore (or even don't notice) flaws in other aspects of the game.

So I didn't had such a bad impression of the NPCs in Fallout because I guess I was sucked into the atomsphere of the wasteland and stuff. Or maybe because I'm not a characterartist in the first place, so I'm willing to accept other standards. On the other hand the 3rd person walk animations of your maincharacter in Fallout really turned me down. It really wasn't cool. If the whole game would have been in 3rd person this would have been a serious issue. So I see the problem you are talking about but. I was glad I could play in first person all the time.
    Also I don't compare grafics from different games too much. To me its not important if some game did this or that so much better. What counts is the overall impression the game leaves. If it works together I'm fine playing a game that is not considered the new revelation in terms of grafics. But if it doesn't leave an impression of overall good quality I also experience the same issues you talked about.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Looking pretty cool, will all come down to gameplay though and how cool that will be.

As for facial animations yeah there not great, most games dont do them well but honestly its due to time and money. You cant have animators burning time on small things like facial animation when there is plenty of full body animation to due. Just not practical in some situations. And this isnt a game where facial animation is as important as say a Mass Effect where its all about the close up character interactions
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAYqjEhaiXE[/ame]

Thankfully not a player of the original series or I'd probably be pissed.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAYqjEhaiXE

Thankfully not a player of the original series or I'd probably be pissed.

Looks perfectly fine to me, as a deus ex fan.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    eld wrote: »
    Looks perfectly fine to me, as a deus ex fan.

yeah, actually doing pretty well there so far.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Completely reminds me of the original, a little help from your buddy, then seeing if there are any other routes available. The first was so strategic and awesome.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I'm reading through the comments on the youtube video..good god. Why the hell are video game fanboys such whiney pricks?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I'm reading through the comments on the youtube video..good god. Why the hell are video game fanboys such whiney pricks?

Sometimes I just feel ashamed to be a PC gamer. But I do believe that it's just a very vocal minority. It seems like majority of people who played the first game are looking forward to HR.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Really you guys are excited by this? I couldn't imagine a more on rails incarnation of a sequel to a game that's remembered as amazingly open-ended.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Yes, deus ex was very open endeed

this is about as on rails as most sections of DE i remember.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Really you guys are excited by this? I couldn't imagine a more on rails incarnation of a sequel to a game that's remembered as amazingly open-ended.

That was just one section, with a very narrow playing area, what were you expecting? Looks good to me. VERY sexy fire!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hahahaha. All the negative comments and then I see a flagged as spam comment:

"Looks pretty good"
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

It was open-ended in terms of choices and decisions, the maps were very close to the original unreal in terms of how open-ended they were.

Also,

haters_gonna_hate_10.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    The more recent videos have been just a little disappointing, from the art to the gameplay.
    Not so bad that I won't purchase the game I think, but I reserve the right to be a little critical.

Got enough intrusive UI shit on the screen maybe? Does everything you can interact with really need to glow yellow when you get within 20 feet? That guy talking to Jensen in the office looks about as low-poly (poor blocky silhouette) as characters from the original game!
    Holy shit, you guys decided to cast that horrible voice actor again(he's been in both the previous games), only this time for the main character? Fuck. Just take an ice-pick to my eardrums now please.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's less of a crime than bioshock was, and people loved that game! :)

This is the sole reason I'm really looking forward to deus ex 3:

inventory-620x.jpg
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    It's less of a crime than bioshock was, and people loved that game! :)

inventory-620x.jpg

I want to secks all over that revolver model. Gorgeous design.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    [image]
    Grid inventory! Yes! God, I miss that type of inventory.

Maybe it's weird, but there's nothing that I enjoy more in a game than being efficient. Other people think, "I really hate having to manage this inventory" while I sit there pleased as pie that if I'm clever with rearranging I can hoard more stuff.

Plus it adds a whole other strategic level. You constantly have to predict what will be most useful later on, balance out having a big strong weapon with a bunch of small healing items, etc.

All hail the grid inventory!
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, i don't get the haters.

A)The videos a very small slice of what I'm hoping is a large game.
    B)Deus Ex 1 had a relatively linear level structure, it was how you developed your character which defined when, how and with what you moved through the levels which made it cool.

Personally I'd rather play a more designed game with depth and directed levels than any of the sand box yawn fests with their random gen quests.

Not a fan of the over use of the highlighted interaction points though, a tad spoon fed for a game which rewards exploration.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still hoping theres a "hard+" mode that takes all of that out. I don't very much want to know theres an entrance point 60 feet away because its glowing through a wall... Plus lets face it, who wouldn't play this on hard anyway.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah, I think that first missiongameplay vid reminded me alot of deus ex 1. Remember that the first mission of deus ex basically did the same thing, it gave you three option you could choose, and then you were off, and given pretty much the same kind of clues. Deus ex was not open at all, it just gave the illusion of being so. And always making your own coices when it came to tackling missions. Really looking forward to this, seems like they really "get" deus ex.
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    It was the static portraits that bothered me. There's all this high tech HUD around u then a 2d concept piece of the guy your chatting to slides in. :S
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The biggest thing for me that made Deus Ex what it was, was the ability to finish the game with very little action/killing. Somehow the trailers don't indicate thats going to be the case this time around.

The levels usually presented you with 3 or 4 options for each obstacle, which let you decide the method you want to take based on the type of character you want to play. "balls out, guns blazing", "stealthy ninja", "leet haxor"
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    The biggest thing for me that made Deus Ex what it was, was the ability to finish the game with very little action/killing. Somehow the trailers don't indicate thats going to be the case this time around.

The levels usually presented you with 3 or 4 options for each obstacle, which let you decide the method you want to take based on the type of character you want to play. "balls out, guns blazing", "stealthy ninja", "leet haxor"

They've officially said that you'll be able to go through the game stealth and non-lethal with the exception of some bosses I think.

And there being non-lethal ammo.

Now deus ex had this thing where you had to really aim and hit the head to knock someone out, while now it seems to be enough to just be behind the guy to do it, but you still have to stealth there.

Edit: This preview talks a bunch about choices, lethality, rewards and different routes:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/24/exploring-choice-in-deus-ex-human-revolution-by-playing-through-the-demo-twice/
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5JF59NHzMI[/ame]

GLOWING... LADDERS... AND... BOXES...

Jesus Christ... Oh well...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [php][/php]:(

I really hate the third-person cover system. It completely throws off the immersion.

Also, I actually agree with Odium for once. What is happening!?
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    yup....been seeing this recently. MAJOR bummer. actually, if you can't disable the hand holding highlights, i might not buy. takes all the fun out of the game.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    woah last page dejavu.

Did you check the preview slum?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, but you know what, that's you should get it for PC, because you always get modders who 'fixes' those problem areas you might have with the game.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    600full-deus-ex-screenshot.jpg

I think they're going for the item-highlight they had in deus ex, and the permanent highlight to signify usable objects.

Since if you notice, only objects near reticule gets highlighted unless they're usable static items like ladders or doors.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Woah, I actually found a good comment on the you tubes...Where is the music? o_0

I'm hoping they turned it off so it was easier for her to narrate over because the music was key in establishing the atmosphere of the original.

And the highlighting looks to be on anything which the player can interact with, no matter if its under the reticle or not...we know what the first PC mod will be. :P
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Did you check the preview slum?

Yeah, what are you referring to?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Woah, I actually found a good comment on the you tubes...Where is the music? o_0

I'm hoping they turned it off so it was easier for her to narrate over because the music was key in establishing the atmosphere of the original.

Soundtrack seems to have everything right going for it:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTnpREir97I[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDIQ17K5ciw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNQR0spE_s[/ame]

And the highlighting looks to be on anything which the player can interact with, no matter if its under the reticle or not...we know what the first PC mod will be. :P

As I said, items seems to be highlighted when they're under/near the reticule, usable static items seems to be highlighted at all times.

Slum wrote: »
    Yeah, what are you referring to?

Plenty of choices, paths, consequences, killable/sparable characters.

Of all sequels coming out, and there's plenty of them, like xcom, or the bioshock series for example, Deus ex: HR seems to be the one that's staying the most true to its predecessor.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I wouldn't worry about highlighting. After all this bitching that can be seen on the internet I think we can be sure that they will make it toggleable. I mean, on their official forums there's a whole damn thread dedicated to highlighting and that shit has over 20 pages :poly142:
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    @ odium - the highlights are often inevitable in today's games with complex worlds and many interactions;)
    Beleive me, there r solid reasons behind that kind of decisions which are taken by ppl (mostly being fans of DE1 btw) working very hard on the project ;)
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    let's hope so teaandcigs. cause i'm one of those peeps that does not play games on PC. however, there has been a significant dumbing down of console game elements for the public in general. and i continue to find it a little bit insulting. maybe that's just cause i'm a little older. i just hate having my hand held. we'll see what happens.