Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Rens, crazyfool! You guys kick it!

Thinking of entering that warrior comp over at cghub. Just concept sculpting at this point.

warrrriorgrrrrrrl.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ultra wrote: »
    Endzeit: u should look for other artist´s textures first to learn how work with uv´s
    your uv map is completely wrong, to big for the lack of detail u have, the texture is ok for your first one...keep working GL!

More mudbox
    head2_wip4.jpg

reminds me of
    4110-27300.gif
  • 100Chihuahuas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    100Chihuahuas polycounter lvl 7
    StevenEgan wrote: »
    MatCap fun:

RenderSkin-1.jpg

A VFX supervisor at CIS Vancouver told me that it "freaks him out" when models he sees on reels are missing their genitalia, and that seeing a model with an equally detailed penis would be a refreshing and uncommon detail.

The skin around the crotch and knee areas seems a bit too wrinkled to me, like the skin of someone elderly. This monster seems to me to be young and strong, and tight skin would reflect that. The skin around the crotch and hips is especially tight, and skin there does not bunch up like that

I like his crazy bellybutton! And that awesome exaggerated tendon in the hand

Edit: I guess skin might have a few rolls in that crotch area if he were to be posed leaning far far forward, I didn't think of that
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Slaught wrote: »
    Sweet work crazyfool and StevenEgan!

Looks very nice Rens, but I´m not a fan of the boots.
    They seem a bit sloppy compared to the rest of the model.

riki25t.jpg
    Slooooow.

somehow i see dragonballness in that
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Harry wrote: »
    somehow i see dragonballness in that

Same, and I'm liking it, not your average forced anime style.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EJim2.jpg

One of many different projects I'm doing at the same time...
  • aNarchy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first time posting a project on here so here goes :thumbup:

its a clay render of a gun i have officially abandoned for now due to not having the required skills to finish it. i have been working on other stuff, but i will come back it it. C&C's still welcome, lay your worst on me :)

also gun is called the 'Twisted Rose', design for a game.

trclayrender02.jpg
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Wow. Nice toonshading tactics there Pangahas. Any chance of sharing the process?
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    First ever non hard surface model, self portrait. Quite pleased with it but can use a lot of work. Will be going into zbrush to 'zombiefy' it soon..

frontwire.jpg
  • StevenEgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenEgan polycounter lvl 9
    A VFX supervisor at CIS Vancouver told me that it "freaks him out" when models he sees on reels are missing their genitalia, and that seeing a model with an equally detailed penis would be a refreshing and uncommon detail.

The skin around the crotch and knee areas seems a bit too wrinkled to me, like the skin of someone elderly. This monster seems to me to be young and strong, and tight skin would reflect that. The skin around the crotch and hips is especially tight, and skin there does not bunch up like that

I like his crazy bellybutton! And that awesome exaggerated tendon in the hand

Edit: I guess skin might have a few rolls in that crotch area if he were to be posed leaning far far forward, I didn't think of that

Thanks for the great feedback. The only reason that I have given him folds like that, is I'm trying to give him the look of having a thick hide, being a Minotaur and whatever... But I will have a play with them.

Yeah, I guess you're right about the genitalia, but he is going to be wearing a loin cloth at least, so I doubt it would ever be seen, but it would make for a more accurate model.

Thanks for the feedback... I'll give a few things a go.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    I can't decide if this is pleasant or creepy. need suggestions
    1db77e6dab0a5efc0ac951bfb1fdea56.png
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks kinda creepy. Like skin with no bones in it, which always creeps me out! Also helped by the fact that it's bending the wrong way, in opposition to a hug. The hands are in a very defensive position.
  • crashoveride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crashoveride polycounter lvl 18
    Zodiacal sign for a zodiacal clock. ( Saint Seiya's project )

wipverseau01.jpg

Flat diffuse on max
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Harry - it's got 2 left hands.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    its also got no arm bones and hands on both ends of the same arm, it's kind of the point
  • lupi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas love the stilisation mate;)
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lowpoly, wip, d@@dle of an old speedpaint... doodles.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tileable texture WIP for a medieval environment.

brick_texture_wip.png
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Pretty dark texture, It looks almost like the bricks are painted black!
  • Abe_hokage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working on a contest on zbrush.fr
    make an animal out of a comic character...so chose wolverine and a sloth... (nto the best match i must admit haha)
    did a version more "human for fun too...
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    @Harry
    A little disturbing as a model, but I bet it would be a really great design for a wedding ring :)

@Medestruit
    Earthworm Jim rules. Rock it proper ;)
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    @Harry
    A little disturbing as a model, but I bet it would be a really great design for a wedding ring :)

I don't understand. I don't mean to sound rude at all but I've gotten a few people telling me its creepy or unsettling and I *think* I can see it, though that might be myself projecting feedback onto it?

The part I really don't get though, is that something aesthetically creepy would be a good wedding ring? (it is a design for a ring btw)
    Is it just the idea of someone sculpting digitally a ring, which is the creepy part? or, does it look weird onscreen and your mental image of it actually cast in metal doesn't look as creepy for some reason? It's very puzzling.

If people assumed it was just a model for fun, then i guess yeah, it's kind of weird for me to model that. I should clarify it's to be cast as a physical metallic object. Does that change anything?
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    The part I really don't get though, is that something aesthetically creepy would be a good wedding ring? (it is a design for a ring btw)
    Is it just the idea of someone sculpting digitally a ring, which is the creepy part? or, does it look weird onscreen and your mental image of it actually cast in metal doesn't look as creepy for some reason? It's very puzzling.

If people assumed it was just a model for fun, then i guess yeah, it's kind of weird for me to model that. I should clarify it's to be cast as a physical metallic object. Does that change anything?

Right now, it looks like a boneless and flabby arm thats wrapped around and twisting the other hard backwards. So yeah, a little disturbing. If it were silver, then I wouldn't assume that. Btw, you asked if it was creepy.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    Right now, it looks like a boneless and flabby arm thats wrapped around and twisting the other hard backwards. So yeah, a little disturbing. If it were silver, then I wouldn't assume that. Btw, you asked if it was creepy.

yeah absolutely, i know i asked, and like i said i'm probably coming off rude or like im trying to brush comments off. It's more that i just wanna understand exactly what people think is weird about it, so i can maybe save it. So, mostly because you're assuming it's meant to be an actual flesh and bone hand rather than a metal cast?
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    It´s not the idea or the subject that makes it creepy.
    I think what makes it a little unsettling is the fact that it looks so real.
    The way the ring part flows into the arms with the skin creasing slightly at the wrist, the hinted muscles and tendons under the skin.
    Like Woody294 mentioned it makes the "ring" part look like arms without bones.

I think if you stylized it a bit more or made the ring part look more like a regular ring with a beveled edge it would be less weird.
    The hands and the flowers themselves are beautiful.

@Abe_hokage and {scumworks}
    Awesome!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Slaught wrote: »
    The way the ring part flows into the arms with the skin creasing slightly at the wrist, the hinted muscles and tendons under the skin.
    Like Woody294 mentioned it makes the "ring" part look like arms without bones.

OHHHHHHHHHH that makes a *lot* more sense. I want to make inscriptions and probably a small rim on the inside, i wonder if this would help? And yeah a bevel is a good idea to kind of denaturalise it.
    I thought you guys meant the actual hands themselves dont look bony enough.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I thought you guys meant the actual hands themselves dont look bony enough.

No, the hands look terrific :) I was talking about the ring part, as well.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    woody_294 wrote: »
    It looks kinda creepy. Like skin with no bones in it, which always creeps me out! Also helped by the fact that it's bending the wrong way, in opposition to a hug. The hands are in a very defensive position.

Just look at Harry avatar, head without face, just skin :P
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tying this guy off before dominance war.

18136325.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Dreamer wrote: »
    swordstress.jpg

Fine ass model with the emphasis on ass! Agree what someone else said about the crotch, looks a little disturbing on such a hot chick.
  • 100Chihuahuas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenEgan wrote: »
    Thanks for the great feedback. The only reason that I have given him folds like that, is I'm trying to give him the look of having a thick hide, being a Minotaur and whatever... But I will have a play with them.

Yeah, I guess you're right about the genitalia, but he is going to be wearing a loin cloth at least, so I doubt it would ever be seen, but it would make for a more accurate model.

Thanks for the feedback... I'll give a few things a go.

Anytime! ;D
    Ah, I guess if he is wearing clothes it doesn't really matter then, lol.
    Hmm, to convey thick skin, you could keep his bulk but make his muscles less defined. The thicker/more fleshy the skin, the less you see the small details of the muscle, just the overall shape and form. And maybe make his neck flap meld more softly into his chest (look at images of cows, their flappy necks kind of cover their entire chests, it is very fleshy)

His hand looks like it should be wrapped around a man's throat. That would be a sweet pose. ;)

I just found the coolest thing on google! Search for images of a Belgian Blue Bull, THAT is some sick reference.
  • 100Chihuahuas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I busted up the base mesh a bit, putting in some details.

WIP2.jpg
  • 100Chihuahuas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP wrote: »
    Fine ass model with the emphasis on ass! Agree what someone else said about the crotch, looks a little disturbing on such a hot chick.

lol! I think it looks alright. She is wearing spandex, and thin women do have a "nub" there from that one bone. They're usually protrayed as super flat and rounded but that isn't usually the case.

If she were wearing jeans and that nub was present, that might be a tad disturbing :)
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    lol! I think it looks alright. She is wearing spandex, and thin women do have a "nub" there from that one bone. They're usually protrayed as super flat and rounded but that isn't usually the case.

If she were wearing jeans and that nub was present, that might be a tad disturbing :)
    it's def more formed to the body than what normal spandex looks like, but it's a design choice kind of like Miranda in ME2 because her suit wouldn't fit any woman's body like that

38478pcn_amberrose61-e1268314475748.jpg

This is more of what spandex really looks like on a model type body. The forms end up be a bit more subtle and spandex stretches over dips of the body.

Taki%201p%20red%20cosplay%20-%20Soul%20Calibur%20-%20Tight%20Spandex%20009.jpg

Kind of like a tight tank-top on a woman won't get sucked into the cleavage no matter how tight.
  • 100Chihuahuas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's def more formed to the body than what normal spandex looks like, but it's a design choice kind of like Miranda in ME2 because her suit wouldn't fit any woman's body like that

This is more of what spandex really looks like on a model type body. The forms end up be a bit more subtle and spandex stretches over dips of the body.

Kind of like a tight tank-top on a woman won't get sucked into the cleavage no matter how tight.

Ahh yes, the pants on that model would be much more realistic if the fabric actually showed fabric qualities, instead of those of vacuum-sealed plastic :)
    Her butt-crack would also not be as pronounced.
    I was defending the "nub", forgot to consider the non-fabricness as well
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    GCMP wrote: »

It needs more Camel toe!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome Dado. I love the expression on the sheep. :D!!
  • Vivetriquette
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, the pleasure of color picking.
    Tried to get a sense of direction.. tried. I think spending another day on it is not a bad idea.

pirate07.jpg
  • areve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    highpoly.jpg?t=1289090517highpoly1.jpg?t=1289090544
    done with the highpoly, or I have to be done, it's hard to stop hehe so much fun ;P
    she's going to be able to have the jacket on and off
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rens - 1 and 3 are my favorite. 3 a little more so.
  • rooster
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »

rooster, DUDE what are you up to??? i am intrigued and i am all about whatever it is you have got going on here
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    Doing some simpler stuff to get the hang of things. just the scope for now.

Scope_all.jpg
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    looks awesome and intriguing rooster. can't wait to see more!
  • 100Chihuahuas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sculpted some damage onto my mesh- boy was it hard! Only because this was my first time using Zbrush- I'm a mudbox user. I am determined to become fluent in Zbrush too.

WIP3.jpg
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    looks awesome and intriguing rooster. can't wait to see more!

agreed. It's like a retro and intriguing mechwarrior.

rens: I like #2,3 personally.
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    I like that paint style ya got going on there Pangahas :).. perhaps could you explain your process?

Here's some progress on my model of Thrall.. a few more proportion changes, and costume updates.. gonna start unwrapping tomorrow

thrall06.jpg
This discussion has been closed.