Home General Discussion

Red Dead Redemption

Replies

• Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Pre-ordered a copy a couple of days ago, can't wait to get a posse together and snipe from a rocky outcrop.
  • psychoticprankster
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    Getting it for ps3.
    Psn Name
    HonkyPunch.
    Hit me up, chumps. I'll be playing this shit for years.
    aww , I was hoping you were getting it for the 360 :(
    I'll be getting it eventualy for the PS3 aswell though.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    played it a bit last night... it's certainly hit or miss. mostly hit, as I'm really enjoying it, but shit like the Hair and grass (especially in the first town) are just bad :(.

It also feels like there's little to no lighting a majority of the time, then other times the lighting is awesome. the game could have used SSAO, because I don't see lighting baked in to ANYTHING. most of the props and buildings are completely flat :(

outside of those things the game is pretty awesome so far. would recommend for sure!
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I agree (from the videos and screens I've seen) that the lighting looks great when it is dramatic but a little underwhelming when there's no direct light source. The ambient lighting was pretty flat in GTAIV as well from what I remember. A lot of games up until now have had a similar problem but I think SSAO will fix that in the future.

I'm pretty excited to give RDR a try by the way. It looks like a lot of fun!
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    If anyone wants to get a Polycount posse going, im in. Gamertag = Tattoocalypse
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah the lighting is hit and miss, which can be expected with a full night/day system.
  • psychoticprankster
    If anyone wants to get a Polycount posse going, im in. Gamertag = Tattoocalypse
    Yeah ,I'm up for that.
  • psychoticprankster
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Did anyone get a pack of those playing cards from a midnight sale for RDR? I drove to three palces last night trying to find them, but nobody had any. I would be willing to trade goods or services with anyone who could possibly help me get a pack :D

I've got the game sitting here on my desk, it's killing to wait another three hours to get home!!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Those cards did look awesome.
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    seriously this game is awesome. it has the randomness of fallout 3 but its gta, in the wild west. its so fun and looks gorgeous. for the amount of flat land they have there is always something to find and ride out to.
    im never going to get any work done now
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Got my copy... aaand can't play it til I get home cause of meetings scheduled on either side of my lunch break. Ahh well, I wanted my first experience of the game to be on my big screen anyways. :)
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    awesome so far, but is anyone having problems in the multiplayer with dropping connections? i tried for about 30 minutes to get a game going with a couple people and i kept getting sent back to singlepayer with "network connection lost" as the error, this is on 360
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    MikeF wrote: »
    awesome so far, but is anyone having problems in the multiplayer with dropping connections? i tried for about 30 minutes to get a game going with a couple people and i kept getting sent back to singlepayer with "network connection lost" as the error, this is on 360

I keep experiencing the same thing. the game is awesome so far, I cant wait to check out some of the multiplayer.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    bummer. something about all of those 100% ratings seemed too good to be true.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Someone selling a product emailed a magazine to say their product was awesome?

Sounds like you guys are blowing this out of proportion. The email didn't say anything about a bribe or how they were watching his family, it was just some over-zealous self promotion.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG.

the atmosphere and clouds and lighting is f'ing epic. the characters are detailed so well, all the folds and wrinkles in the cloth is great. the scenery is terrific. the animations and voice acting are superb. Even the really subtle things like the layer of dust floating above the ground is done really well.

a big congrats to everybody that worked on it, this looks like a masterpiece and im sure it will play like one as well.

i feel all giddy, its like when i played GTA for the first time. an epic journey awaits!

edit: you sure theres no ssao? im pretty sure i saw a bit of it, under chickens, around my feet, i doubt they were cards. maybe theyre just really subtle.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly the only real disappointment so far was stepping into a river and dying instantly.
    Guess that's their invisible wall.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they need to fix the multiplayer issues. those mainly being invisible horses, people, and weapons. ive been playing with my buddies for a few hours and most of the time everyone was invisible. and when you cant auto-lock, it pretty much makes it impossible to shoot them.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Honestly the only real disappointment so far was stepping into a river and dying instantly.
    Guess that's their invisible wall.

Same thing happened to me...I wanted to see if there was any fishing. I kept walking deeper, hmmm maybe I can check out the underwater flora. *dead*

One of my favorite moments while exploring was when I heard a pack of wolves howling, I went to go check it out and I saw at least 5-6 of them ambushing an innocent traveler. Time to collect wolf pelts!
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Really like this game. Though it isn't just 'GTA in the Wild West'...It's a pretty good description of it. A lot of my time last night went to hunting then gambling my money away at the poker table. Sadly, I've blown away a few innocent people when I thought they were shooting at me - which lead to a downward spiral. Being a bad guy feels pretty good!

If I had to pick the most disappointing part, so far, it's controls - especially while on a horse. I just find myself riding off into the sunset or jumping over things i never meant to. Still not that big of a problem though.

Edit> AND i can't stand the main character's voice, he sounds like the guy from Big Love. All I can think about is going home to my 3 wives.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I was out in the middle of nowhere hunting a flock of vultures. One fell, and like a scene from Duck Hunt, a bunch of coyotes came running to the fallen bird like they were going to steal it from me. Guess what they didn't do, because I killed them.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    played for about 13 hours yesterday. got 30% through the game, and spent alot of time running around killing people. my highest bounty (on my head) was 1800. lol

fucking LOOOVE this game. soo good. the animations are just... omg. so good. The horses are so reel. even when controlling them. I find its best to just press A to move forward and then press left or right to turn. dont hold up and turn like you usually would.

siiiick game though. so so good. Havent really found anything to complain about with it. the missions are cool, and different.

only one thing I should warn you guys about... COUGARS... those fuckers are deadly.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    13 hours? Sheesh. :)
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    only one thing I should warn you guys about... COUGARS... those fuckers are deadly.

Tell me about it. I was out bird hunting and as I dropped a hawk from the sky, I ran toward the corpse for precious feathers. MISTAKE. Running directly towards me was one of those fucking cougars. BAM. DEAD. Even though I was mauled to death, it was awesome to see how much life is going on in the world.
  • Ott
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, hunting has been fun. Reminds me of when I would play Oregon Trail as kid. I'd skimp out on buying food/oxen/medicine and just spend all my money on bullets to hunt. Who cares if Johnny contracted gangrene and had to lose a leg.

I just noticed last night that there are little animals drawn on the map that show territory for different game.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    This game is awesome so far. I think the lighting and shading on the terrain look pretty amazing for a video game. Those wolves can be lethal. I love the way they can drag down your horse.
  • Canadian Ink
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i spent about 2 hours perfecting the art of shooting a horse in the head to make the rider go flying. good times.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    This game is damn amazing! The voice acting is top notch and am getting really into the story...my only gripe is that the lighting indoors is awful, I can't see anything because everything is really really dark. Am I the only one with this problem on the Ps3?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    slipsius wrote: »
    played for about 13 hours yesterday. got 30% through the game, and spent alot of time running around killing people. my highest bounty (on my head) was 1800. lol

fucking LOOOVE this game. soo good. the animations are just... omg. so good. The horses are so reel. even when controlling them. I find its best to just press A to move forward and then press left or right to turn. dont hold up and turn like you usually would.

siiiick game though. so so good. Havent really found anything to complain about with it. the missions are cool, and different.

I want 13 hours to play... waaah =**(
  • mastershokhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So are they switching between 2 normal maps on the horse walk cycle? Looks good.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone else hating target painting in Dead Eye? I was having a lot of fun just hitting "bullet time" and dashing into a room pulling off headshots on everyone in there. Suddenly target painting is introduced and I can't do shit. Not to mention it will paint a target on ANYTHING you move your crosshair over, including innocent people and YOUR OWN HORSE.
    I'm hardcore raging because I was trying to save a hostage and I just put a bullet into their face, and like 6 into my horse while dragging the crosshair to the actual enemy.
    for the love of god, can I turn this feature off?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Saw it at work. A whole lot of "meh" for me. Average game, nothing fantastic imo.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Then maybe you should play it to better understand 'the little things' that, so far, has made this game a lot of fun to play.

It's the first game where I've naturally walked through towns as I was in character for that moment.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vassago, you gotta take it slow and walk around the towns. if you appreciate the little details you will love this game. for example, there was a blacksmith that picked up his tools, pulled a red hot horse shoe out of the furnace, started beating it, put everything down, went to the horse troth and dipped his head in a bit and then went back to work. i mean, thats freakin great. so much ambient animation going on.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    Then maybe you should play it to better understand 'the little things' that, so far, has made this game a lot of fun to play.

It's the first game where I've naturally walked through towns as I was in character for that moment.

Adam, exactly! My wife was watching me play and wanted to know why I was walking so slowly in the towns or trotting along trails on my horse, but I just can't imagine sprinting around all the time like in GTA. The Man With No Name doesn't sprint from the saloon to the general store - he casually saunters over there, because his balls are too big to be running that fast :D

Vassago, I can't imagine anyone viewing this game as average. Aesthetically, I've never played anything quite like it. What's another average game that you think is a close comparison to RDR?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea I totally agree about the sauntering all over the place, its not too slow and it just looks so bad ass. this game seems ridiculously immersive, I was rolling around in multiplayer with a 6 man posse of friends taking on the gang hideouts, super fun.

there is so much to do its a lil overwhelming at 1st, I can see myself spending lots of time at the poker table :D wish that was in multiplayer.
  • psychoticprankster
    Do animals respawn in this game ?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Animals are pretty much infinite. I found this out the hard way while knife fighting bears in the mountains. After taking down the 3 I found, I called my donkey over to head back to town, when suddenly a bear dashes down from the mountains, and MAULS EL PUEBLO (I call him that, because the character I chose looks like Fidel Castro, so i'm riding "The People" (I think thats what it means)). And then charges me, swiping my face off and pushing me down a mountain.
    Fuuuuu-
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    boy does it ever feel good to kill a cougar. Nasty little things. Finally got my lasso last night, really fun hog tying people - though, I'd advise NOT lassoing deer.
  • psychoticprankster
    Gav wrote: »
    boy does it ever feel good to kill a cougar. Nasty little things. Finally got my lasso last night, really fun hog tying people - though, I'd advise NOT lassoing deer.
    My friend had cougers attacking him every 5 minutes last night. there seems to be alot around.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    this looks absolutely gorgeous
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    hehe just got back to my desk to see a set of those cards waiting for me....sweet
  • Mladen Jovicic
    bought it this morning.i turn on the ps3.blinking red light.dead. ...awesome:poly127:
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    bought it this morning.i turn on the ps3.blinking red light.dead. ...awesome:poly127:

Happened to me with God Of War III, I know your pain. Better not read the instruction manual too fast.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Got it off of buy.com's $15 off deal, so I'm still waiting for the snail mail to get it to me, fingers crossed it arrives before the three day weekend!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    its got to the point that my fiancee demanded we fix her 360 and buy another copy so we're not fighting over who gets to play. I've yet to play single player and its one of the best games I've played in a while. I loved GUN and always wanted something like it but larger scale.. bam here it is.

I'm sure this weekend after drinking we'll try bare fist bear hunting.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Anyone else hating target painting in Dead Eye? I was having a lot of fun just hitting "bullet time" and dashing into a room pulling off headshots on everyone in there. Suddenly target painting is introduced and I can't do shit. Not to mention it will paint a target on ANYTHING you move your crosshair over, including innocent people and YOUR OWN HORSE.
    I'm hardcore raging because I was trying to save a hostage and I just put a bullet into their face, and like 6 into my horse while dragging the crosshair to the actual enemy.
    for the love of god, can I turn this feature off?

Ya, i wasnt too happy about the target painting either. though, shooting your own horse? ive TRIED killing my own horse and it doesnt let me shoot. lol. im a dsperado, so when my horse dies, or isnt around,and i call it to me, i get a black stallion! its awsome.

as for teh target painting though, you just gotta be careful with it. dont move your cursor over people you dont wanna kill. move it around them. it made shooting peoples hats off for the sharp shooter challenge near impossible though. finally did it without dead eye. in armodilla, in the saloon, there is a guy with a top hat. it is by for the easiest to shoot off without blowing their head off.