Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - JFletcher

Replies

• aesis412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can I ask what program you use? great looking renders they almost look cell shaded.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeps nice wear and rust, this guy could use some serious garage time!

-Woog
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    Thats killaaa :P crazy work
  • Walking Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Walking Fly polycounter lvl 8
    FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK....
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Wicked awesome. Can't wait to see this with a killer background and presented with the final flare. Awesome work mate.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    I just thought I was in front of a drawing = win
    :D

nice work dude
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    thanks for the support guys, really appreciated. :)

worked through the legs and some of the back:

renderg.jpg

a couple of things i want to note:

-mostly around the back are quite a few normal errors, and see some under the arm too.
    -view of the back may be a bit hard to read, may pass over it again.
    -got quite a few wires and stuff to hang in :)
    -its floating from the ankle, yes, heh. i didn't want to join the pieces and i plan on filling the joint area
    -crate could probably stick out more from the actual character, hard to distinguish, will most likely pass over this again.

hopefully i can get some more interesting shots soon, an actual pose. :)

EDIT:

"PR" had 'magnum pr' constantly springing to mind, so i changed it ...not that it means anything :)
  • Martin_X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job! Really awesome work, one of my favorites. Think defiantly top 50.
  • Rens
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    really cool, but you need a second color to make some areas pop out. it's really hard to read now..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Really great work!
    I agree with katzeimsack that a second contrasting colour for some of the parts (probably use it on larger scale pieces) will really help to separate parts out and make it a bit clearer.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome.

Aside from the second colour as suggested before, perhaps having some of the internal workings a bit more chrome-like might help too.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, this is great!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Same here about the second color. Perhaps having the yellowgreenish surfaces more saturated?
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Needs more metal showing. Top notch work, dude.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    how can polycount not win this year
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really interesting texture style. I was a little confused and thought this was a concept(wondering why the hell you were still working on your concept so late). But pleasantly surprised to see the texture wips and that is what the actual materials look like.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

... or is it magnum PA

Never mind. Thanks guys, I've tried running through some different colors for different sections but i don't think it really cuts.. i feel the most i can get away with is the ammo crate being a very distinct blue (not the last image). Perhaps i just need to revise the concept once more. However i am happy with the green + orange :)

not ignoring the advice, just not sure how to execute it without it turning out like a rainbow :( if anybody has any ideas they'd like to share that would be great. :D

no update right now, i will wait until I've done the gun (something i don't think should be green :) )

thanks for the comments.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    great work man... Doesn't even look like a game model to me! Baking so many mechanical pieces must have been a real chore, my hat's off to you
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome man, almost looks like a realy nice illustration in those last shots. i think its the background.

-Woog
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    I mentioned before and other ppl agree that it needs a main secondary color. I think you can use more of that orange you choose in bigger areas and darken certain parts so that theres more contrast. Great work tho.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's my "oh shit no time left better upload something quick" final:

render.jpg

Yeah clee, i was just finding it hard to get that secondary color in there without the thing looking like a clown, its definitely something i will work on though. Thanks. :)

more work to do and i'm gonna redo the render, just getting a nice basic pose in. pedestal is iffy, might give it a shot though, couple tiles n' stuff :)

EDIT:

cookie to the first person to spot the untextured bit! :)
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great man - bravo!

Is the untextured bit the staggered plates on his thighs? No clue really
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man this is looking cool, I've been keeping an eye on this one recently. I really like the arm wires you have going on, very nice touch!

The biggest thing I see right now if you're running out of time is the gun on the right side of the render is so hard to distinguish from the rest of his parts on the side. The details are hard to follow right now for me, I think if there were some color and spec changes, or even some glowy bits there it would help the readability.

Really nice work so far though! I know how much of a pain it can be to do a ton of small mechanical pieces :)
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great man! Hopefully you get a chance to do a few more poses, cuz like X-Convict said its hard to tell where the body starts and the gun ends. Is the untextured bit the little part that connects the arm to the back piece?
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet! Yeah man this is looking alot better. Even tho you didnt push the secondary color more, I can see that you have darkened some parts darker so that theres more contrast.(I think you can still push the darks darker and brighten lighter parts, but its up to you) Like the gun would be darker and with this, the gun will pop out more from the rest and not get lost. Now, finish the base off with maybe a nice background environment for the beauty shot. Go, go, go!
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badass Robot... !!!
    looks like he is part some transformers....
    Is it that you want image to look like as 2d render...?
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    This is just so full of win, awesome.

When this said and done you're going to have to talk at least a little about the shader/texture method you used because it just has so much style to it!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    I also find the gun a bit hard to read when it's surrounded by the rest of the character. Have you thought of posing him with a front view? At least I am very curious to see how it looks. :)
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to push your light parts lighter!!
    Second color doesn't mean necessarily other hue :]
    Just add more contrast to have a better identification of the shapes
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very nice Im a bit sad that you desaturated the colours so much :( I really liked the colours in the first image you showed of the textureing with just the head and body
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i havent really changed anything here except playing with contrast and making the orange a little more noticeable as suggested:

rendert.jpg

better/worse? :o

tbh im not feeling it... i liked the colors to begin with as a base but in that last image i really liked the cold blue lighting, and you can call me cheap, but i liked the contrast more, seemed like it was in a foggy deserted war torn city.. dunno :/

@ nrek,

i agree the gun didn't merge well with the body, something i will be working on, and have done so slightly in the above image.
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremy price polycounter lvl 18
    I think that one colour would work if there were more shift in the value/saturation.
    if the outer 'major' pieces (knees, shoulders, chest, etc) were lighter and more saturated, and the inner parts were darker/more muted it might help define the shapes better.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the Idea about contrast : just using one or two color but shifting the value for better reading. ( it's only an example and one possibility )
    :)

// NOT JFLETCHER PIC !!!!!!!! //
    renderg_shark.jpg
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the advice,

im still a bit unsure, the knee caps i think i can get away with, and the upper layer of the turbine thing, though it still throws me off as odd looking, and just 'dotted' across the model for the sake of it (that being other color variations too)

i imagined it a little more subtle. :)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    this one rocks ..

just do it like Taehoon_Oh with biggun and make 2 or more tex-variations

pc ftw :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Try to get all the limbs are detatched from the torso in the silhouette. There's such high frequency detail in your model, it gets hard to read when a limb is in front of another limb, or the torso.

Spread the legs wider apart.

This is my favorite mechanical entry by FAR.

:D
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    To be honest dude, I think you did some amazing modeling getting those forms down, http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/1779/highpolywip.jpg

but the texture work is totally destroying that. I know a lot of people here are gun ho for scratchy painterly stuff, but I really think you should clean up some key areas so we can read this like the 3d model it is. Right now, it is hitting that uncanny valley mark, where the more I look at it, the sloppier it looks.

But you have every right to disagree, as a lot of people here seem to like it for what it is.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Easily your best work yet based on the others on your site, definitely one to be proud of best of luck with the judges.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Super nice work all around. Your mechanical modeling is just awesome ! I also love the design.

I've to agree with coldkodiak, though. I think you pushed the details on the diffuse a bit too much and it's definitly fighting against the clean shapes you made during the modeling. I'm not sure if you already worked on that, but I think that when you are making robots, the most important maps are the specular ones. And atm, I think your character is lacking of contrast in term of colors and materials, but I'm sure it will change in the next days !

Best of luck for the final run !
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The contrast looks alot better man! I think you should still keep the shoulder plate color the way it was before. It looks like you are trying to force it to be orange but its not. And it seems to look out of place since no other part has that color...

Heres a quick paintover of wat I have in mind:

robot_paintover1.jpg
  • javier.deandres
    incredible detail to the texture, I think you'll be among the top 10.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its a beautiful entry, I just think its become a bit desaturated and hard to read, maybe its subjective but I would like to see his slightly yellow parts in a strong forklift yellow http://safety.1800inet.com/images/marcom/forklift.jpg
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you may be on to something clee!! :)

thanks for the paint over, definitely going that way. I agree about the shoulder piece, the "forced color" you mentioned was what i was saying i was unable to prevent in most areas when trying to get the secondary color in, but you've given me a good idea to make the small orange bits stand more and leave everything how it should be.

@ Ged,

perhaps, though i didn't imagine this guy too colorful, the concept was just to lay down the idea, i couldn't picture this guy getting a neat colorful paint job when they could save time and throw him in the front line. :)

though as mentioned above i'll be bringing to small orange and blue bits up a notch :)

edit:

Regarding the concerns about the texture, i actually agree with you, to an extent. I loved how clean it looked after the bakes, the clean style and the hard normals, but i think textures will always ruin this feel, and believe me when i say i tried to keep that clean look but the texture just looked god awful. I'm happy with the gritty paint though. :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gotta say i liked the slight orange pop there
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im glad that it was helpful to you. Cant wait to see how you put this badboy together in the end. Now hurry and get to the base and finish it up!
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :o

renderq.jpg

ive made some changes, although nothing too massive, im comfortable with it, and feel anything else i would want to do would just be nit picking. :)

1) Right side pose isn't gonna stay, just used it for the heck of that last image. Getting a neat pose together, or i might just go with one for the beauty shot (i don't know why but i prefer dominant idle poses rather than action poses :( )

2) making a pedestal, i have a really cool idea just probably not enough time :(

3) the flagpole from the concept keeps picking at me! i don't really have much texture space, but i'm gonna add this and see what its like.

heh.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so i only just saw that theres a 7 day extension, guess i should have expected that, from previous years :P

That should hopefully be a nice amount of time to create some fucking sweet ass mechanical pedestal with all kinds of wires and shit :)
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    or a pet!

this shit is awesome btw.