How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    My God, I should never doubt how crazy and simple and beautfiful you make even the simplest of assets. Thank you Perna, can't access DB here either so I'll check it out at home, where I'll probably reply back with some questions. This is crazy good stuff, thank you for your time.  
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan insane polycounter
    @justo or you could take the 'client deadline is up my arse' route and use this mcg..... ;)

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/mcg/mcg-cane-basket
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    @perna
    Tried opening this in 2015 and 17, no luck. So how did you make the baskets Per? Since you used a special modifier/plugin that's not native in Max, all I get when I open the scene are "Missing OSM" in the modifier stack where you used the mysterious tool. 

@musashidan
    Thanks Dan, I'll check it out :) And don't worry, deadline's over. All this is to learn how to do a better job next time. 
  • supaclueless
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    Thank you Super, you were right :) 

@perna , I wanted to ask you some Yes/No questions if you have the time to answer:

1-The first FFD box you called WIDE stretch, which doesn't really look like it does anything, you put there in order to adjust the width of the segment in order for it to later bend correctly into a circular shape?
    2-You use the Clone modifier and not object instances because this way you can weld and do mesh operations with all clones, which you wouldn't be able to do with instances?
    3-Unrelated subject, but I keep hearing meshsmooth is slower yet I see you frequently use it. I don't see the difference, in this case, with using TS. Did you use this simply because you're used to it and performance-wise it wouldn't affect a scene this small?
    4-Do you have a dog and is he cute?
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    1. it's a leftover - doesn't do anything, I decided to go the epoly route for variation
    2. clone mod is parametric, instances are not, and of course separate objects can't cross-weld or -subdivide
    3. turbosmooth is generally faster as it resolves to emesh, but that also means it collapses to emesh
    4. I would if I knew what to do with the dog when I'm out of country

Just a heads-up not to read too much from my max files and screenshot during 2017. My setup is distributed among 5 different Max installs at the moment, and it'll take some months to pool it all.

Check my sig for extension recommendations, including Clone.
  • iacdxb
    Offline / Send Message
    iacdxb polycounter lvl 2
    Hi, getting some hard line in cylinder shape. Any idea how can I fix this....? Thanks.

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    You mean you don't want that hard edge in the cylindrical side? Just delete those supporting edges, you don't need those. 
  • NoRank
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank triangle
    By removing the control loops?

Tbh your question is really vague...
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    @iacdxb
    Try running the control loop around the cylinder instead of down its side:

• iacdxb
    Offline / Send Message
    iacdxb polycounter lvl 2
    @perna
    Its like round cut, but thanks for that, I will give a try by keeping same cutting looping system.

• perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    @iacdxb the shape of the cut has zero relevance on the effectiveness of the solution.
  • Kerotronic
    Hi :)

Can anybody help me by telling me how this animation was created ? 

thank you :)
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 4
    snip
     This isn't the really thread for a question like that dude
  • admiralpixel15
    Offline / Send Message
    admiralpixel15 polycounter lvl 2
    @Kerotronic This thread is mainly for 3D artists who are struggling with MODELING shapes etc. not Animation. Please read the thread title. :) If you're looking for Animation threads try visiting this link : "http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Animation" and look for tutorials you see fit.  
  • throttlekitty
    Offline / Send Message
    throttlekitty Polycount Sponsor
    That said, it's a clouds texture + levels driving displacement.
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    How would you guys make a diamond-patterned bag with the least manual tweaking? I tried creating a bag from a quadsphere and twist it at the top, then convert that to splines, then mirror it for the opposite cross line. 

The problem with this is the bag loses its pattern shapes at the bottom, plus it requires quite a lot of vert pulling. I also just created a subdivided plane and pulled the center down using soft selection, but it deforms awfully. 

• perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    @Shinigami , no, the principle is to not align the cutouts with the existing topology, which is what most people do automatically. The cutout is midway across the segment, leaving more space for shading correction. I've made a bunch of posts on this.
  • EarthQuake
    Justo said:
    How would you guys make a diamond-patterned bag with the least manual tweaking? I tried creating a bag from a quadsphere and twist it at the top, then convert that to splines, then mirror it for the opposite cross line. 

The problem with this is the bag loses its pattern shapes at the bottom, plus it requires quite a lot of vert pulling. I also just created a subdivided plane and pulled the center down using soft selection, but it deforms awfully. 

Well I assume the bag would be tied at the bottom? So start with a regular sphere rather than a quad sphere so the strands connect at the center. Do a sphere, then delete the top half and extrude up to get the base shape before twisting.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    @EarthQuake Hey Joe, thanks for answering. Your suggestion is perfectly viable, though I was thinking of trying to keep the pattern even at the bottom, as if the thing was tied at the top instead. Got any ideas?

• reereen
    Offline / Send Message
    reereen polycounter lvl 2
    I'm trying to model a low-poly bird that will be rigged for a game, but I'm not sure whether the topology would be sufficient for rigging. I've done google searches on bird topology and wing topology, but most of them were above my poly limit. I'm trying to keep the model under 1k polys. I do know that the wings should be able to flap, the beak should able to open and close, and the eye should be able to open and close. The eye not need to be able to rotate.

Basically how do I keep the wings, eye, and mouth riggable while still staying within the 1k poly limit?

Here is also the reference I was looking at: 

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @reereen  why not just rig it and see for yourself?  Has the age of CG self-experimentation died........?

Also, not a modeling problem as per the thread.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 8
    Put a texture on it (checker if need be), rig it quickly, and you'll find out where you'd need more edge loops etc. ;)
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    @Justo: Are you saying you're incapable of modeling criss-crossing diagonal lines?

@reereen: there's no such thing as "bird topology". Just use general principles of modeling and optimizing organic subjects. Geometry should be evenly distributed and equally contribute to silhouette, except where serving a specific purpose for deformation. When it comes to optimization, just make the lowest-cost reductions until you are at the tricount you seek.

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    @perna Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, I am incapable to do that shape correctly, though I'm still thinking on how to do it. The ideas I came up with were lame and pathetic. 
  • delisun
    Hey dudes and dudettes, i was trying to model a fox trapper knife cause of the interesting shape, BUT I DONT GET TO MODEL DEM SHAPE.

The first try:

the second try:

a quick render for seeing the problems:

with ngons:

you can clearly see sharp edges where i not want them to appear if i wont use ngons ._. this is very frustrating.

hope one of you wants to help me :>

edit: the reference is: http://www.foxcutlery.com/n/files/u01e41/fox_trapper.jpg
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    delisun said:
    i wont use ngons
    Prepare to be roasted
  • EarthQuake
    I wont ngons either my brother died that way
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 4
    My dad used to beat me if he found n-gons or triangles in my high polies so I understand where you're coming from delisun
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx greentooth
    BEWARE OF THE NGONS, those bastard once stole my 3D model and made it better. 
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    @perna that is crazy, Norway is crazy, you are awesome. Thank you.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo said:
    @perna that is crazy, Norway is crazy.

If you hack the CIA and zoom a satellite all the way into Norway you'll find that it's entirely built from N-gons.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • johanflod
    Offline / Send Message
    johanflod polycounter lvl 7
    I am working on a personal character project. As i thought it would be an interesting challenge I decided to model this skateboard helmet. 

For the top part of the helmet I started out with a sphere, because it was easy to do the 7 holes at the top that way. You can clearly see that the backpart shape of the helmet does not match the reference. 

During modelling I used one turbosmooth that separates by smoothing group and one turbosmooth that does not separate. 

The holes are keeping their shape but the helmet as a while looks a bit wonky. 

I try to readjust the shape of the helmet but I end up with a mess. Any pointers on how to go forward is appreciated. I happily start from scratch with a different approach. 
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox ngon master
    nail the shape first, subdivide for more res, do the holes. once those are locked in, you should not have to touch the shape
  • HashBrownHamish
    Offline / Send Message
    HashBrownHamish polycounter lvl 5

I have had multiple attempts at modeling this cloth male skirt but without success, this is my 5th attempt at the belt part I think.
    The final low poly model is for a mod and it will use APEX cloth in UE4, this is why the skirt hasn't got much shape to it

I'm trying to make it look natural but at the moment the cloth belt looks more like melted plastic. Even without textures the shape seems wrong but i can't put my finger on what to change
  • perna
    Offline / Send Message
    perna quad damage
    @HashBrownHamish , you forgot to say what the problem is and how we can help  :)
  • HashBrownHamish
    Offline / Send Message
    HashBrownHamish polycounter lvl 5
    @perna edited it sorry x)

• Mad_Llama
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad_Llama polycounter lvl 2
  • Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys, I wonder, how do I put shapes like circles and curved doorframes into wall without adding too many segments. Like this one, I want to avoid T-vertices, if possible.

• Fjr3
    Offline / Send Message
    Fjr3 polycounter lvl 2
    Hi I'm new to 3D in general, I did observe and learn, now taking chance to ask you guys. I've been trying to model an iPhone. Got stuck at the Home Button.

Here's my attempt

The edge is so weird when I subdiv-ed it. Thanks in advance, guys. One more thing, you guys are awesome teachers !

• Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez greentooth
    @Fjr3 Isn't the front a flat glass plane with a hole cut in it? Why not model it like a flat plane with a hole in it?
    If two things are seperate objects, why not model them that way?
    As for why it's fucky, your problem is twofold: Your cylinder isn't shaped like a cylinder and it's sides are uneven, which is why it smooths like an egg.
    You also don't have proper supportive edgeloops around it to force the shape to stop, so it gets that sideways pinchy effect. 
    This hole has eight equal sides, and has supportive edgeloops to constrict the subdivision so it'll smooth properly.

• johanflod
    Offline / Send Message
    johanflod polycounter lvl 7
    Neox said:
    nail the shape first, subdivide for more res, do the holes. once those are locked in, you should not have to touch the shape
    Thanks for the answer. I will work on that. 

I also had issues with another form on this personal project.  The cover for the particle filter has spokes that goes towards the middle. The spokes are welded together with circular forms/insets at regular intervals. On the bigger filter I started with the rim of the filter and extruded faces towards the middle to create the spokes. The rim has a circular shape but the rim "inset" has straight lines. I want to insets to be circular just like on the reference photo. This is a very common shape but somehow I just got stuck :P thanks in advance. 

• LittleRain
    How do I slice models like this video at 16:05 in 3ds max? 
    He is not using the Slice Plane tool, or quick slice, at least I think he isn't. He is basically just slicing a whole object on an axis much like the Quick Slice tool.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 8
    That's likely the Swift Loop tool..
  • Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez greentooth
    johanflod said:

Insert a loop on each of those flat rims, scale outwards until roundness is achieved. 
  • Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 4
    I wonder how do I make this properly. I am having hard time assigning vertices properly.