Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    This is my second attempt - it already looks better, but not still not ideal...
    Choose the amount of sides on that cylinder to accomodate the edgeloops you want. 
    https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2595473#Comment_2595473
    If your cylinder has 3x the sides of the amount of flats on the jaggies, you'll be fine. 5x gets you a sharper CNC look.

• HAWK12HT
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12

@DigitalGreenTea I tried with another approach this shape of yours, see if it works for you. I used regularize edge loop script in between too to make it a perfect circle and move few verts with edge constraints on. 

tried lighting and looks fine no artifacts even though I personally think there is a minor dent going on in 3ds max view port but its not noticeable.  

• rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    rage288 polycounter lvl 7
    I´m wondering why all the time I see people are still using Max 2016
    Actually I don´t :D 
  • HAWK12HT
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH @rage288 if you dont then you know why :smiley:
  • Rekov
    Offline / Send Message
    Rekov polycounter lvl 5
    I'm having difficulty figuring out how to add supporting edges to this so that I can subdiv it. I can probably fake my HP model with a bevel modifier, but at this point I just want to find the solution.

I've highlighted the edges that need to remain hard under the subdiv. So far I haven't found a way to add supporting edges around these that doesn't also harden edges that need to remain soft. Do I just need to start by adding more geometry to my LP model?

• rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    Rekov said:
    I can probably fake my HP model with a bevel modifier, but at this point I just want to find the solution
    There you have your answer. Add quadchamfer or chamfer separated by SG and woila if you are using max. If not you can add a "bevel modifier" and subdivide on top of that should be the same.
  • Rekov
    Offline / Send Message
    Rekov polycounter lvl 5
    I initially tried something like that approach, but it didn't work out terribly well, at least in Blender. I used a bevel of two segments with a profile of 1.0, essentially adding an edge along side each edge being beveled without changing the profile. Adding subdiv on top gave this:

I believe I have found a solution involving more geometry. I'm going to test that now.
  • rage288
    Offline / Send Message

Green are hard edges (different SGroups)
    Then chamfer modifier, then subdivided :smiley:

• Rekov
    Offline / Send Message
    Rekov polycounter lvl 5
    @rage288 I can't add chamfers there because those are curved surfaces, and that would break the normals on that curve. Very nearly every surface is curved, so there's no obvious place to run the edges across the surfaces while trying to put them along the edges. The only faces that aren't curved are the ones with strikes parallel to the Y axis.

Tried doing something like this, but unfortunately there's still some pinching to the normals.

• rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rekov look at my example above. The first picture Ive posted was wrong sorry about that
    and that "pinching" you´ve got there is perfectly acceptable

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Rekov said:
    I'm having difficulty figuring out how to add supporting edges to this so that I can subdiv it. I can probably fake my HP model with a bevel modifier, but at this point I just want to find the solution.

I've highlighted the edges that need to remain hard under the subdiv. So far I haven't found a way to add supporting edges around these that doesn't also harden edges that need to remain soft. Do I just need to start by adding more geometry to my LP model?

• GlowingPotato
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    Hi,

Can someone advice how to remove this pinching when i smooth the mesh ?

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Hi,

Can someone advice how to remove this pinching when i smooth the mesh ?

used 42 segments on my mesh, could probably used a 24, 28 or 32. But why waste time :P. 
  • Rekov
    Offline / Send Message
    Rekov polycounter lvl 5
    @wirrexx Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm trying to avoid hardening the edges that I've dotted in magenta here. I've found that doing so visibly breaks the curve in that direction.

I'm going to keep playing around to see if I can't come up with something that puts edges where I have them in red, green, and cyan without making a total mess of the topology

EDIT: This is the best I've come up with so far. Some slight distortion, but it's probably the best I can hope for.

• Rekov
    Offline / Send Message
    Rekov polycounter lvl 5
    Actually, here is a better all-quads solution:

• mrgkirq
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgkirq polycounter lvl 3
    hi can anyone help me with the Acr Stock?

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    @mrgkirq This can be done with a boolean operation, model the whole thing and cut it out later.
  • mrgkirq
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 said:
    @mrgkirq This can be done with a boolean operation, model the whole thing and cut it out later.
    try it didn't get good result

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Ok, maybe you could post your WIP?
  • rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgkirq said:
    Zi0 said:
    try it didn't get good result

Yeah, post the result! :D

• mrgkirq
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 said:
    Zi0 said:
    sorry i make alot of shapes remove it all lol
    If u have any idea 
    help me please 
    thanks

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    In order to help you we would like to see why you aren't getting good results, thats why we ask for a WIP shot.
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    mrgkirq said:
    hi can anyone help me with the Acr Stock?

Here's a really dirty fast go at this, proportions are all way off, but you get the idea... Use enough supporting geometry and use a cylinder to booleon out the inset area you have marked within the red square...

• meenakshi
    Offline / Send Message
    meenakshi polycounter lvl 6
    Hello,

I am working on lemat revolver. I am on blockout stage and i am stuck on one particular shape.

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Try to draw the part you don't understand, it helps sometimes.
  • Noors
  • meenakshi
    Offline / Send Message
    meenakshi polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks you  :smile:
    its really helpful 
  • Rekov
    Offline / Send Message
    Rekov polycounter lvl 5
    There is some discussion of similar geometry on page ten to the problem I'm having, but none of those proposed solutions seem to work, both as they were proposed and for me trying them on my mesh.

This obviously doesn't work, nor do any of the other attempts I've made to add supporting edges around the edges that need to be hard while avoiding breaking curvature on the cylinder.

Obviously I could simply give the cylinder itself so much geometry to the point that the edges parallel to the axis of the cylinder no longer need supporting geometry. Is there a way to achieve the desired effect without really bumping up the geometry?
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Rekov said:
    There is some discussion of similar geometry on page ten to the problem I'm having, but none of those proposed solutions seem to work, both as they were proposed and for me trying them on my mesh.

This obviously doesn't work, nor do any of the other attempts I've made to add supporting edges around the edges that need to be hard while avoiding breaking curvature on the cylinder.

Obviously I could simply give the cylinder itself so much geometry to the point that the edges parallel to the axis of the cylinder no longer need supporting geometry. Is there a way to achieve the desired effect without really bumping up the geometry?

Your cylinder needs to be able to support The extrude. 32 sides used. The extruded "half" cylinder, was cut in between two segments, to keep the curve. 
  • Rekov
    Offline / Send Message
    Rekov polycounter lvl 5
    That's what I was afraid of, wirrexx. But it's easily enough done, especially for an HP model. Thanks.
  • Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    @wirrexx I learned something today :smile:
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Zi0 said:
    @wirrexx I learned something today :smile:
    Glad to hear. 
  • Pultz
    Offline / Send Message
    Pultz node
    I am new to 3D and still learning a lot i found a house i want to model from a game i'm looking forward to coming out but having some trouble with curved structures, can anybody help me how to do this.

here is the ref:
    I know its a bad ref but its the only one i got, im talking about the front part with.

here is my attempt:

This is going to be a game asset so I'm trying to think about the poly count as well :)

any help is appreciate

• abronee
    Offline / Send Message
    abronee polycounter lvl 4
    Hi everyone. I am trying to model out this radio, but I am struggling on the corner topology, can anyone guide me through? Would be must appreciated

• cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Why are you trying to model the radio all as one piece, split it up like it is in real life. Look at the bottom of the radio, you can see the side panels are recessed and separate elements, the front, back and top panels are all separate as well... You're just making more work for yourself trying to get the whole object as one element...
  • abronee
    Offline / Send Message
    abronee polycounter lvl 4
    Why are you trying to model the radio all as one piece, split it up like it is in real life. Look at the bottom of the radio, you can see the side panels are recessed and separate elements, the front, back and top panels are all separate as well... You're just making more work for yourself trying to get the whole object as one element...

I tried to separate the different geo, but im not quite getting the look of the insert of the outer geo which gives the shown shadows
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    @abronee
    I think you are over thinking this pretty hard...
    Just think of how it's constructed and break it up into those pieces, it's literally blocks on blocks.
    Do a blockout of the model before thinking of adding loops and stuff, it will make things much easier.  

• Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, I wonder how would I approachvmoddeling a mattress. I tried to use heightmap, but its somewhat blurry at part close to the camera. I post the image as it should be rendered.

now, what I would like to go for, is this

Not sure if heightmap would work for this, as the render is close to camera. Also, how would i approach creating this and then bending it all over mattress shape ?

• Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    @Filip5 M8, show your attempt first if you want modeling input. It would also help to figure out what your goal is.
    Either way, for a game model, a normal map should suffice. For a viz type realisticrender I would do a heightmap, using displacement and make it maybe 2048 for a single tile. Either way I would take care to model it realistically with seams and all. All of these patterns are made flat and sewn together into matress shapes, so by deconstructing reference pictures you should be able to model it realistically, UV those parts flat, and tile textures on there. Once you're tiling textures, you can get them as crisp as needed.
    Either way I'd create the pattern from scratch, either in photoshop or a modeling software just to learn.
  • GlowingPotato
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    Hi,

Any advice on how to maintain curvature in this mesh ? I made a few attempts but no luck so far. 

• Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 8
    Hi,

Any advice on how to maintain curvature in this mesh ? I made a few attempts but no luck so far. 

Not sure what you mean by that, but as far as I can tell, edge loops affect curvature uppon smoothing the mesh. Add them close to the edge and that edge is going to be sharp. If you add loop further from egde, its going to be more curvy..
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Create it planar and simply bend it =)
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Most likely a question that's been resolved on more occasions in this thread than I've had hot dinners. So at a glance there's not enough faces to preserve the shape via a cylindrical object.

(checkout bottom of page 149, more useful advice from @EarthQuake

• Thanez
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    @GlowingPotato
    M8, what the other people here said, but for highpoly cylinders such as these, try to remember that the natural edges of the cylinder will become your edgeloops.

The only thing I did to keep this consistent was to try to keep the polygons by the supported edges square. That way I get an indication at once how hard my edges will be, by looking at the width of the edge below my first cut:

Edit: A little tip: If you do your cylinders with 4 sides as a base number and multiply that up to where you want to be, you'll end up with a cylinder that can be mirrored on both axises, so you'll only have to do a quarter of the work.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    32 sides is more than enough to get a smooth and bakeable mesh, but i did one with 40 and kept the edges smooth "for bake" 

32 sides here using double smoothing technique. 

• Pixter
    Hello. At the moment im working on one project, that based on Unity WebGL, so that meens that all 3d graphics need to be well optimized. And part of my job is to model that lantern (in image). I want to understand how to model these arabic patterns and what i need to use for that? Im thinking that i need to make everythign in geometry and bake it to diffuse map, so it will be in texture. I dont know maybe it will be easier to make those patterns in substance or there other way? Need your advices, guys!
  • VinnyAle
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    VinnyAle said:

many of us on this forum have shown this before. Please take your time and go back, i showed this method on the page before and Perna, Earthquake, Eric and so many more has shown fixes for this. The key to working with curved objects is to have a the edgeflow stay as consist as possible. If you add 2 edges to close to eachother on a curved surface, you'll get bulges, hard surfaces, pinches etc. Try to have them evenely spread. Now, this is just one method of many. This is a old Example that i did. But the principal is there. 
    me a couple of days ago

@perna
    a couple of years ago.. 

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Agreed.

Also a reminder that information linked in this thread's Opening Post, Page 1, lists a huge library of content relevant too Subdivision Surface Modelling, as follows:

Subdivision Surface Modeling on the Polycount Wiki
    Shared: My Technical Talk content by Perna
    How u model dem shapes? Image Ripped! by cookedpeanut

• VinnyAle
    wirrexx said:
    VinnyAle said:

many of us on this forum have shown this before. Please take your time and go back, i showed this method on the page before and Perna, Earthquake, Eric and so many more has shown fixes for this. The key to working with curved objects is to have a the edgeflow stay as consist as possible. If you add 2 edges to close to eachother on a curved surface, you'll get bulges, hard surfaces, pinches etc. Try to have them evenely spread. Now, this is just one method of many. This is a old Example that i did. But the principal is there. 
    me a couple of days ago

@perna
    a couple of years ago.. 

Thx man for help me.
    i tried this but don't fix yet :( 
    I will search more information in others  thread's