Home Stickies

[P&P] - What are you working on? 2008 Edition

Replies

• Chunkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    brainz2ma8.jpg
    w710.png

gone a few weeks without doing any real art, used Vahl's basemesh and just started doodling about a week ago, got the basics done then did some more today. Just wanted to show I'm still alive heh
  • Waz
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    New character I'm working on, based on a concept by Meatsworthy. Still have hair to do and maybe some more tweaking of the Zbrush,

Lily_Zbrush.jpg
  • Chunkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    loving the clothing on the character Waz :) once the hair is on it'll be easier to comment on the face- loving the detail though, just need to make sure it doesn't become noise city :)
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Chunkey : GOGOGO dude :)

waz : folds, especially on the trousers are really random, more is not always better and you should keep in mind the reason they are supposed to be here. I tend to always start with obvious pressure and gravity points, then add more pressure depending on what is under the cloth, I'd strongly suggest you this book if you don't already have it :

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Wrinkles-Drapery-Solutions-Practical/dp/0823015874/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229369597&sr=8-1]Dynamic wrinkles and drapery[/ame]

Also, the facial structure doesn't read as correct to me, eyes seem either too small and/or high, cheeks aren't working and mouth is way too pinched
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    This is my special way of wishing LittleBigPlanet was on the PSP.

lbpsp3.jpg
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    haha great _Gr9yFox_

oppa_col_03.jpg
  • Adam Curtis
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 15
    Neox that is stunning.
    haha, I lol'd when I scrolled up Gr9yFox, nice :)

Been doing a fair bit of zbrush recently, thought I would try some mechanical stuff for fun. Quite like this one, so I hope to get around fixing it up, then onto a low poly.
    y2.jpg
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    runnning ingame woot thanks to Havok89!

jv6gqg.jpg

23ud2sw.jpg
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Neox wrote: »
    haha great _Gr9yFox_

oppa_col_03.jpg

amazing as always, neox is it possible that you can post your flats one of these days for these guys? I wanna see how much work the diffuse is doing versus shader one of these days!

Awesome as always!
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Some pretty subtle changes there Slum, but I like it a lot better now. :) Nice little details.
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    @ neox and slum <3

Working on the storm giant. Have no idea which way to go.Slim and athletic or the way i have it now :/ DO tell :D
    3192,visuG64YF.jpg
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    seforin wrote: »
    neox is it possible that you can post your flats one of these days for these guys?

sure

oppa_tex.jpg

@butt: i really like the forms of this one, athletic yet subtle not overmuscular
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot neox! :D
    I did some changes to the proportions and smoothed somethings out. Do i have your permission to go into detailing now? Mr.no eyes:
    3193,visuTF45Y.jpg
    That texture flat is purddy. :) Thanks for posting!
    Oh and sefronin, if the textures dont look good, theres a really good chance that the model is going to suck with shaders aswell (my honest opinion)
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    very very cool stuff neox! i see that the diffuse still owns da place ;). (not just materials but also shadows etc.)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Some guys will burn me for this, but i give damn nothing about "it has to be dynamic" fuck that, it looks like dead plastic crap in most cases, never liked that and never will like that, while this one might not look correct when lit from beneath, it's looking good for most lighting situations, it doesn't have to be mathmatical correct to be good.

To me the diffuse has to guide the normalmap, the normalmap is just an addition, letting it do the whole job, still doesn't compete with good old diffuse textures. Sure you can tone down the shading more then when having diffuse only, but removing it entirely and letting the shader do the job is just not good enough these days, maybe it will be but it's not now. :)
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Neox : thanks for having common sense man :) and if they burn you, they can go ahead and burn me aswell !

great texture btw, I was wondering how you got that nicely drawn line inside the mesh itself without cutting it, NOW I KNO UR SECRETZ !!!
    Seeing Airborn stuff is always refreshing and awesome guys, MORE!!! :)
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh,by the way, Adam, i really like the whole model, but that push on the polys at the back which is turning them into blobby form-less horns is really taking its toll on the model. You should just bring it back in, or make it flow through out the model.The latter might be difficult to do as im getting the vibe that you suddenly decided to do it haha. But you canz doing itz! :D
    EDIT:
    Best ref. you can get for yourself is either checking out paul's or djordje's folios.(two people i admire very much <3) Speaking in reference to the skin-mechanic transition
  • Adam Curtis
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for the link, impressive stuff!

Ha, ye it was bit of sudden decision and kinda just left it, cant do much with them either because the poly distribution up there is screwed - Think i'll real them back in :)
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    Some guys will burn me for this, but i give damn nothing about "it has to be dynamic" fuck that, it looks like dead plastic crap in most cases, never liked that and never will like that, while this one might not look correct when lit from beneath, it's looking good for most lighting situations, it doesn't have to be mathmatical correct to be good.

To me the diffuse has to guide the normalmap, the normalmap is just an addition, letting it do the whole job, still doesn't compete with good old diffuse textures. Sure you can tone down the shading more then when having diffuse only, but removing it entirely and letting the shader do the job is just not good enough these days, maybe it will be but it's not now. :)

thanks you so much for posting the diffuse! So your just running a diffuse and normal pass and the rest of the effects are being called by the shader? or are you using a ramp/gradient texture as well to effect the spec of the objects as well?

Ive been making some leaps in understanding shaders lately but I didnt realise that the diffuse had so much work put into it. I need to go back to my guy and really give him some diffuse love after seeing this!
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    3112856925_8405ac9d84_o.jpg

the only way to eat a sandwich
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    @seforin: i'm using a texture to ramp a half lambert shading and adding an ambient cubemap on that, pretty much like the TF2 Stuff works, but with some tweaks in the ramp, ambientcube etv. and put rimlight and specular above that, but i have to tweak that part still, really no great speculars/reflections right now
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    @seforin: i'm using a texture to ramp a half lambert shading and adding an ambient cubemap on that, pretty much like the TF2 Stuff works, but with some tweaks in the ramp, ambientcube etv. and put rimlight and specular above that, but i have to tweak that part still, really no great speculars/reflections right now

so basically its more or less good diffuse/normal and cross hatching shader more then anything else to give the nice effects, the rimg light and specular are just minor fluff?

Im starting to understand more and more what you did sir! Veryvery sneaky!
  • Vredesbyrd
    2.jpg

I made this after work , still needs bevels

Massbot I like what U did back there
    65465.jpg
  • warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    background screen from my new casual game that hopefully will flush some cash into my wallet

store_background.jpg
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    seforin wrote: »
    so basically its more or less good diffuse/normal and cross hatching shader more then anything else to give the nice effects, the rimg light and specular are just minor fluff?

Im starting to understand more and more what you did sir! Veryvery sneaky!

no crosshatches anymore, we dropped that as we couldn't control it as much as we wanted, having it only in the shadows like in valkyria chronicles would be nice but we can't use the shadows as a mask, or well we don't know how to do that, so there is only some hatching in the textures
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    lol warby that's awesome! :D
  • EarthQuake

This stuff is highly highly HIGHLY subjective, and very much related to exactly what sort of lighting, shaders, and art style you are trying to achive. While i wont try to tell you that you are wrong, because clearly what you have works really cool, and is a great style. But I think what you're doing here could be done in a pretty simple fashion, with the right shaders and lighting, while still being a dynamic effect.

Again not saying what you're doing is wrong, just saying that there are infact many ways to skin a cat. And none of them are "correct". There is no "correct" in game art, as it is all just a series of hacks to get a certain desire effect, so in essence, I am actually agreeing with you on some points here. =)

So experiment people, do what looks good! Not what some programmer tells you is correct.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    sure it's highly subjective, no questions about that

your last sentence pretty much sums it up :D
  • Adam Curtis
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the guide sectarus, i'll print it out and keep it in my lunchbox.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    nice, warby, but the candle is insanely bright.
  • LEViATHAN
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    166x4w5.jpg
    ~1000 triangles atm
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Nice Warby! Is that Ink n' Paint or something else? What game is it for / platform?
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Warby, Neox, Slum: cool beans!

dunno how far ill keep goin with this as a test, but it still needs another modelling pass (for facial features, wrinkles, tweaks)
    roo_3dsketch07.jpg
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Warby. Is that a 3D scene that you rendered out? Looking at it I can't help but feel that environment was constructed in 3D. You've captured a very illustrative feel, and some of the elements might have been illustrated in afterwords, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm seeing a rendering of a 3D scene.

Either way, killer work, I'm really digging the style.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    very cool Warby. Is that a store from 'The Old Republic'?! :P
  • Rens
    Good stuff Rooster! Love the style.

The only thing thats a bit weird is the curve in the upperleg and the lowerarm, maybe straighten those out a bit?
    (upperleg in the frontview, lowerarm in the sideview)
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Still alot to do on the sculpting for these guys. The rider will have big ass armour (not an actual armoured ass!) and the straps and gubbins for the hog are subject to change.

rider_wip.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Isn't that the guy I fought on the bridge in Twilight Princess?

OH! And where's his pee pee?
  • rooster
  • Holi
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 12
    rooster: cool skin

a tree fully paint in maya:
    ea287481da49d1295a89b5e603a2att.jpg
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    majorly sweet, fat cap. Personally, I think he needs ass-armor indeed. Riding a boar all day is quite irritating to one's buttocks.

Rooster, that's so very hawt.

Neox, bloody hell I've been trying to get that awesome style and color for ages. Always kickass.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Fatcap, he needs a huge fatty dick. Right now he's a void-gina.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    baby.jpg
    Just wanted to check a different colored matcap on that sculpt with simply coloring the pic in PS but then i did a lot more.

@FatCap
    Great!
    I wouldnt worry too much about hurting buttocks like Funky bunnies does more about the poor hog that needs to carry that fatass! :D Maybe make the hog simply a bit bigger. Also you could hide his pee pee with a even more fatty belly. ;)
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Progress been slow on this since I've been working on my new site.
    Anyways, finally got started on the sculpting today. Tell me what you think. :)

Bob_1-1.jpg
    Bob_2-1.jpg
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    nice aimbiz! it really has a lot of character already.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I like the direction but the hands look out of place, he needs gecko fingers, you know flat tips with the grip/suction on the underside and no nails.
  • Mauricio Cunha
    Offline / Send Message
    Mauricio Cunha polycounter lvl 13
    I made it for my game.
    Tools: wings3d and photoshop

imagem2ya6.jpg
    By mcunha98
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    I like the direction but the hands look out of place, he needs gecko fingers, you know flat tips with the grip/suction on the underside and no nails.
    Ah yes, I had forgotten all about them. I'll make fix.
This discussion has been closed.