Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard!

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Links to deviant art is weak!

all joking aside, it looks like he's about to fall over on his face.

His body parts also look a little inconstant... sort of an amalgamation of a dragon and a man without any real anatomical thought behind it.

good amount of detail in the mesh, though. I just think it needs some conceptual overhauling.
  • Agent-X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agent-X polycounter lvl 18
    Thats cool Sectaurs. Its all good. I just dont have a site of my own yet really, so I use deviantart in the mean time. For the anatomy I am still adjusting stuff. Going to touch up the scales to look more like a crocodile. I have been looking at pics of corocodiles at www.3d.sk. Just like I have done with the legs and also incorporate a little of my imagination. For the anatomy, on this yes I did make up some stuff but also did pull some from human/dragon/dinosaur/crocodile and some of my own creativity. my next post Ill show a better one. If there are any ideas or more cretiques, Id greatly appreciate it. Anything and everything is welcomed. I will add more crocodile scales in the arms and back, and tail. and then the wings, I ill pull some of the detail that is in like the vampire from Underworld Evolution. And I think that will probably do the trick. Please tell me any ideas or thoughts you may have.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    No sweat. I was being a retard and didn't see you had actually posted the picture a whole two posts above. d'oh!

Anyhow, I think the hips need to be rotated upwards so that his spin is more verticle... right now he looks like he needs some back legs. Which would be sort of badass, but I take it not heading that way.

For the crocodile scales, I'd say less is more. subtler scales that taper/blend into the softer flesh would help tie it all together.
  • Agent-X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ill bring the legs foward also so he dont look like hes going to fall on his face. smile.gif
  • Agent-X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet thanks bro. I appreciate it. smile.gif
  • Agent-X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I must say the artists here kick so much ass, its not even funny! Good job everyone. Its wonderful to be surrounded by such talent and great artists. Bravo everyone!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    "edit" button is your friend Agent-X wink.gif Great work everbody !!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    de1.jpg
    Time for some sort of update I guess. The rocky base area is still pending. I'm thinking maybe a wooden framework or some such to cogulate the entire thing together a bit better would probably be a good way of working things. Might make encorporating the spikes a little simpler too.

Still loads of vertex lighting to add along with textures.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackblade that screEEeeaams Blizzard. I realy like it!
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    ironforge2.jpg

quick overpaint

tweaked some things
    ironforge3.jpg

3rd version

ironforge6.jpg
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i am in love with Xnormal! i have been wanting to try it for awhile and its the most painless experience i have ever had with normal maps, it just worked the first try, flawlessly, although i cant seem to get the viewer to work on my laptop, i get a pixel shader error, i have a 6600, guess i should read through the thread to see if anyone has had similar probs. he is at 5000 on the money, one 1024.
    texture time...

normalswp9.jpg
  • Okt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    Christ arshlevon... Absolutely amazing.
  • damkoden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damkoden polycounter lvl 17
    Hi polycounters, this is my first post here but been checking out all the killer work on this site for awhile. Been meaning to post some WIPs on this subject but work and other stuff's kept me short on time frown.gif Anyways, I'm working on a Night Elf Demon hunter, like Illidan but before he went evil. Took reference from all over but mostly an image in the Art of Warcraft book that I'm not sure if I'd be violating copy rights to post it... Still have a ton of work to done, praying I finish it in time.

Working in Photoshop, 3dsMax, and Zbrush. The hair on his head still needs some more work and he still needs eyebrows, not to mention textures confused.gif Crits welcome and goodluck to everyone!
    ZbrushHead_composite.JPG
    [img]http://www.adam-may.com/images/headRender_001 copy.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.adam-may.com/images/headRender_002 copy.jpg[/img]
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    this page just made me pee myself.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, Arsh, that's one of the most impressive realtime pieces I've ever seen. I can't wait for the rest of the maps. ooo.gif

I'm actually a bit confused as to your experience in XNormal. Did you use it to render out the normal map, or just for the viewer? Is that screenshot from inside XNormal? I know it's the artist and not the apps that count, but this is curiousity speaking.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Great start Damkoden, I already like what the hair brings to him.

Arsh....dayum.

I'd love to see him animated too smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Hot dang that's a tasty vittle Arsh. My only crit would be that he feels smallish. See if you can turn on soft select and scale down his head a tad to try to make him seem larger. Right now I feel like he's my height, instead of a towering demon ruler of hell.

poop.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Amazing, arsh. Really awesome stuff. Head could probably be a bit smaller, like Ben said, but it's definitely really impressive.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I dunno, I reckon with some camera fov/position and lighting tweaks he could be made to look huge without changing the model.. amazing stuff
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    theres some amazing stuff in this thread.. wow..
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trying to figure out final composition for shot. these are still low res models and low res textures for testing render. ill start swaping high res in tomorow
    dunocompop0.jpg
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Hey joe- the one on the right reminds me of how their renders looked that they made for Starcraft. It's also the better composition.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    arsh- thats a quality normal map, gotta try that xnormal.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I keep checking back here, I think that this thread, more than any other is an indication of how much the level of ability has matured here in the last couple of years.

Couple of years back, everyone was still sitting with mouth agape wondering how to approach the higher levels of detail and now folk are cranking awesome professional quality hi poly work.

This really is an incredible thread, I'm really impressed.

r.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Wow...incredible stuff guys.

Arsh - !!!!

55Joe - the one on the right is looking sweet

Damkoden - nice!

Kaz - looking super! Question: are the towers, set on either side of the entrance supposed to be on the same line of perspective? If so, they are close...but I think the left most one appears to be set back a little further than the right most.

Jakablade - looking very wow. Unique idea too!

Struve - unquestionably great work. Just get that texture nailed down! You've been getting some good crits.

ghost_rider - great work. Especially like the Taurk.

Pior - you BETTER finish that...

Noritsune - rocks! Very Diablo!

Bradfordart - looking sweet man.

Tacit Math - great details! great idea! looking hot.

Awesome work happening in here. It will sure be a tough competition.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    sorry to bring the quality of work in the thread down but i managed to rough out a bit of texture. still needs a lot of work.
    skin_wip1.jpg
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    "sorry to bring the quality of work in the thread down but i managed to rough out a bit of texture. still needs a lot of work."

Don't be so hard on yourself, Asherr. I think the model you have going is looking good and in no way detracts from this thread. Your heart is in it, and that is the driving force behind any good piece. That shield is looking nice! Perhaps add some shading along the outer area to give it some roundness. Keep on at it!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    struve - she looks awesome! How about making an action shot for wallpaper, pls

Jackablade - fits the wow style perfectly. Can't wait to see what the rest of the piece will look like.

katzeimsack - IronForge paining is fantastic! Maybe adding a some smoke far in the background where maybe a battle had taken place.

Arsh - Is there anything you not good at wink.gif. Some sick zbrushin, gonna look awesome textured!

damkoden - I really like the hair! is that using hair plugin or planes. I'll come ask you, since your 3 feet from me. hehe

55joe - I agree with Xeno, the 2nd image comp looks more like the starcraft movie. Add some film noise and you could make it look like it was in their movie.

Asherr - I dont think it brings down the quality, I like the model alot. At least you were able to complete the model, real-life made me all behind on mine frown.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jackablade - fits the wow style perfectly. Can't wait to see what the rest of the piece will look like.

[/ QUOTE ]You and me both. Cheers mate.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe Arsh, 2 days for texture and rig, we're on the same kind if boat it seems laugh.gif

I'm awfully late, spent too much time half asleep painting that kow skull, moooo.

I think I'll put the modelling and texturing on hold until I get a decent rig and pose.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pior_ubb/bliz_pior_kowknight_003.jpg

Did someone try or manage to submit an entry so far? Like, did it go smooth with an automatic response email or something? I'm getting sortof nervous about this smile.gif
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    the entry submission went smooth for me, included an auto-reply email. just be warned - I was expecting to be able to submit a written paragraph along with my image and you CANT! they limit you to about 30 characters. those BASTARDS.

looking good people... cant wait to see these finished!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Awsome thread. once this is all said and done, Sombody should take the finished entries, and make a gallery thread.
  • chops
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chops polycounter lvl 17
    Post deleted by chops
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    pior sick ass bone helms=)
    on cha, maybe u should do his head a little bit bigger?
  • chops
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chops polycounter lvl 17
    i just got done. i hope you guys like it
    texture2.jpgposed2.jpgturn%20in%20defalt2.jpg
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    Arsh! That's too Freakin cool, you better get him done on time!! smile.gif
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    pior: Thats looking really nice, especially the parts you have near completion...Are you still using the technique of texturing first then shaping it into a model on that head and skull?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's neat, Chops. There might be a bit too much contrast on the mouth stitching (or not enough on the rest of the flesh) is seems a bit overly eye catching at this point.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    still very WIP, havent done the nails and some areas have much less attention given than others. and no that is not a dog penis coming out of his forhead!!! it will be textured too. will try and finish all texturing tomorrow and then rig on sunday.

db%20copy.jpg
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have to agree, amazing work all over this thread.
    here is my update, finished rendering out the high res model, have to intergrate him into the BG tomorow and build / texture a foreground.
    almosttheremf9.jpg
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Okay...fucking a, but I am going to finish this damned contest entry. I've been working on this thing since at least 2 in the afternoon yesterday. My eyes want nothing more than to crawl into the back of my skull.

After I get a little sleep, perhaps 4 hours. I will start on the low poly mesh. It will be a pain due to the nature of his armor, but I think I can take it. I'll be happy if I can start texturing by tonight.

ohmyfuckinggodkillme.jpg

But this thing is making my computer chug! It's closing on 2.5 million tris, which I know is like nothing for some of your systems, but for mine, that's pretty hefty. And max has been running freakishly slow for me anyway. It crashed like 8 times due to lack of sufficient memory, and I have a gig, which I think is an okay amount. Oh well. I'm getting this fucking thing done!

I just wanted to add one. MAN! Some of these contest entries are lookign awesome! Polycount should surely have a small gallery somewhere to showcase this great work!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    texture_wip2.jpg
    a bit of texture work then rigging and presentation tonight to meet the deadline.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    neo_god, looking superpimp... and everyone else too for that matter. I'm working on texturing my Terran Missile Tank for tomorrow night deadline. lets finish, people!!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Neo_God, the result is, so far, looking worth being tired though! Very creepy.

Asherr, you might want to increase the contrast in the skin. You have the shading and highlights, but it's hard to see.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Arsh, that's HAWT

really amazing stuff there
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Beeeeh just a mini update, I call it done for the babyskin texture. Spent too much time on it - now on with the grit, dirt and macho torso hair!

bliz_pior_kowknight_004.jpg

I only have fun and easy things left now, armour and accessories and if time allows, a lowpoly stand.

Great job all, I hope everybody will finish on time!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    haha, thanks ComradeJ, thats the sorta comment that makes me feel good!

Pior, even if you can't get the armor done, just slap a loin clothe on him, and give him axe, and you got yourself a barbarian worthy of Frazetta!