Replies

• Floyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Floyd polycounter lvl 18
    Nice skin on the spacechick Badname.

Almost done with my texture.
    wip2.jpg
    Only her nose and lips need some more work. And ofcourse the teeth of the creature need a little more tweaking.
    And I'm not sure on the blood, think it doesn't look right.
  • NCE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NCE polycounter lvl 18
    finally I found some time to finish my texture.

Yes I'm sorry it's still in 512*512 but I wanted something more detailed.
    head_02.jpg

-jerome-
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    cool idea NCE, nice
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    WOW nce your wood texture is really cool! have you used a base or it's fully hand painted? keep up the good work!
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkshadow polycounter lvl 18
    wow, im suprised that no1 said, no dark we dont want your crappy shit
  • NCE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NCE polycounter lvl 18
    this texture is completly hand painted, no base texture used
    (I'm happy that you appreciate this texture idea smile.gif )

-jerome-
  • decoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decoy polycounter lvl 18
    Tried the Tuff chick with scar thingy Poop suggested.

spacechick02.jpg

still it felt a bit too obvious so I tried something else.. Maybe not as tuff and heroic as a scar but it might work.

spacechick03.jpg
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    aaghh he said give her a scar. not kill her! lol
    man that swolen eye is a good idea.
    better than that generic scar over the eyebrow that we have seen 1000000 times. still im suggesting to try and give the eyes a bit more life. its also the shape of them i think. the whole expression is kind of ... weird to me.
    not a bad skn tho.
    also try some texture on that grey stuff around her face.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    ladies and gents, I have no Idea how to properly post an image, but I still want to contribute. I'm flying blind, here
    Head002Showcase.jpg
    If you like it, then I will franticly find a way to link the sdk.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    bah.jpg
    been doing this on and off for a bit smile.gif

It's nice to see a lot of old and new faces contributing- if I get the motivation, I might try and conjure up a head smile.gif

toodles!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff people, there is some really original stuff going on here!
    I've finally got round to updating Shimmer's initial post to take into account the more recent SDK releases, so you don't have to scroll through all the pages to find the links. If I've missed any, hit me and I'll sort it out.

Decoy: I love what you've done with the bruised face and black eye... although qubism is right, the eyes' shape is a little odd, stretched horizontally it seems. Makes them look too narrow.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

MoP
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    So does anyone know how to upload an SDK? I have it in OBJ format... but where do I put it?
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Mop, could you change the link to the root folder /thnomblowsgoats/ - the site doesn't allow direct linking for some strange reason :/
  • decoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decoy polycounter lvl 18
    You guys are right the eyes are strange. I tent to make my eyes to big and to cartoony it’s a known problem smile.gif.

Ok one last update, changed the eye a bit and put a little structure to black around the face. I’m going to call this done and try another. Thanx for the feedback

spacechick04.jpg
  • graves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    graves polycounter lvl 18
    Cool thread. Awsome work guys.

render5bd.jpg

head5yf.jpg
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    That has Chunkey written all over it, Chunk. smile.gif I love your colors
  • Floyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Floyd polycounter lvl 18
    I started a new skin. Did want a more realistic skin, better shadows etc. I think I'm on the right way.
    wipsickmotherfucker.jpg
  • decoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decoy polycounter lvl 18
    Started an other one. Maybe i should reconcider the hair.

fighter01.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    NCE, i like the blizzardesque wood-work stuff. i think the scratches are a nice decorative element. i like the conceputal design and thought to use wood, very fun skin. as described by the scrapes, i see the copper colored surfaces as a thin softmetal and the woodgrain pattern as wood. because the scratches are similar on both materials, i feel they deviate from a natural look. for them to look more believable you might dig/tear deeper into a softer material (the wood). adding some heavier worn dinks and chips in the wood might look neat, kinda like how everyone works paint on a metal piece edge. maybe some wooden slivers in her skin, if it would work at all, just a random idea.

decoy, for the helmet chick, in the words of stan lee, "never make your eyebrows symmetrical in a drawing". it isn't really an art edict of a rule, but it really is something to think about. the idea is that asymmetral forms are less stagnant, then you consider the goal of said composition. i must compliment you on your use of scars and such on the face, real scars i have seen on faces tend to be of the pink puffy persuasion. as mentioned by others, you overdid the skin with the mauled face action. scars have the ability to add a lot of character to a design, so when adding a scar, i always think back to when i younger and scars and bruisers were more abundant then. a scar on the nose or ass make someone look like a jackass. scars on the elbows and stuff, places that ranbow gets them while in battle, look cool. huge fresh scars and gashes are less cool and more shocking and frightening, it looks like you had fun though.
    the second turned out much better! i think it's the eyes in this one, they were done much better when compared to the chick's. i like the hair like that so long as the geometry doesn't look silly from the side. pushing the verts of the hair down and changing some smoothing groups may help it work better.

graves, very excellent work on your skin laugh.gif it has a very warm, relaxed and fleshy feel. i'm really liking the description of your masses, the eybrows look great, you made a shitty unwrap look awesome! hyuck *snort tongue.gif
  • faz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    faz polycounter lvl 18
    killing some time in the office
    FatHed01.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Did a quick oldschool-DH-style (hard light airbrush all the way, baby!) for Thnom's model.... Thnom, could you have unwrapped those horns in a more irritating manner? :P

was fun though.

demonface.jpg

MoP
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    hehe mop -- I know, it irratitates me to split up models but there was no room to place it, so I had to dettach :/

Nice skin though, rock on smile.gif
  • Floyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Floyd polycounter lvl 18
    Just a little update.
    wipsickmotherfucker2.jpg
    His hair and helmet need more work.I'm pretty happy with the head
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Floyd: Turning out pretty well, but I would recommend using more colour variation in the flesh to make it seem more believable. The highlights look like a whiter, paler version of the flesh midtone - you could try making them slightly pink or yellow to make the colour jump into the foreground... likewise with the shadows, at the moment they're a darker version of the midtone, try shifting them towards the blue or purple hue range for a more lifelike effect.
    Also some of the shading around the cheek below the eye seems a little wrong on the model - you've got a fairly harsh shadow where the planes of the face point forwards, the shadow should not be that harsh.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    "what good is a phonecall if you are unable to speak?" lol just reminded me of that scene from the matrix, cool shit mop

you guys are too cool... gonna have to do more of these.
  • Floyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Floyd polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Mop. I did all the things you said and it made my texture much less flat. Is there a general rule of thumb for the color of the highlight versus the base color of an object(and thus also for the shadow)? A brighter pink on a pink object would have te same effect as the green tones I used on my texture.

wipsickmotherfucker3.jpg
  • Badname
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Decided to take a crack at the spacechick.
    First Female face texture.
    Third face texture.
    'bout two hours.
    Gonna break for now. Might come back to it later. Crits/tips are most certanliciously welcome.
    Let me know whats you all thinky drink.

spacechick1.jpg
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    thedude2.jpg
    C&C is welcome
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Looking good badname, if a little ordinary (but I guess thats what youre aiming for though)

Shame its not The Dude dude wink.gif
    7.jpg
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umm I dont know who The Dude is smile.gif
    little update
    dude.jpg

dude-texture.jpg
    C&C is welcome
  • ryan77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryan77 polycounter lvl 18
    How do you not know THE dude!? Oh well.. Looks pretty good, but honestly its just such a generic head and a generic skin...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    nice work on the eyes and hair. this is the best quality of texturing i've seen from you Badname.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Buggar,why have I not got onto the band wagon of this thread yet ay?....Damn fine stuff going on here,keep it coming ladz/ladies.

Heres my effort at one of them,unfortunatily I made the schoolboy error of flattening the image and saving it before i was finished frown.gif....so I can't really make any major changes but im pretty happy with how its come out,oddest texture ive ever done smile.gif.

john

spacechick.jpg

sdk_spacechick_256.jpg
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnwoo polycounter lvl 18
    Gotta say..there is some fantastic, creative artworks not just only on this thread but on these forums also... you guys make Polycount what it is...Fantastic!!....one day I gotta join in on some of the fun with future released SDK's...
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    yup, except some details, concept of this one is really awesome
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    head_notfinishedyet.jpg

Decided to make some changes, starting to get a bit annoyed with the model- gonna call it a day and leave him with no lips or refined hair :P Possibly make my own head at some point smile.gif

laters all, and thanks Jelmer for the kind words- gotta try and lose the Chunkey style now though, I'm getting sick and tired of it lol
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey chunkey,not a bad start there my friend...

Now get those lips done!!!

Heres my second contribution to the thread,done today...im satisfied with how its come out,not confident with human heads though and it shows!!.

guyinheadgear.jpg

mask1.jpg

head1.jpg

Enjoy my second offering.!

John
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Visorgirl_layout.jpg

Just posting an image for now, if anyones interested in skinning it I'll release an SDK. Figured it would be different from the rest, we really don't have any faces yet where you get to play with transparencies in the texture, and I figured if someone wanted to they could with this one. Also if anyone notices any mesh problems, point them out and I'll try to fix them up.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    model looks fine but it just looks like mop's head with a visor....
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Arghh...hoping it wouldn't get that...there was only so many ways I could think of to stick a girls head in a helmet and keep the whole face visible so that the visor would be feasible...

...oh well...shoulda started with an actual concept instead of just modelling a head in a helmet...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i think the space helmet might just have been done to death in this thread.... just maybe
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, do something totally different, keep everyone's creative juices flowing smile.gif

I was actually working on a different head model but I can't remember what it was now, and I don't think I finished it. Maybe a lizard of some sort. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Bronco: Pretty good job, be careful with those texture overlays though - it looks like he has corduroy hair and paper skin... also the shading under his eyebrows is so sharply defined it looks like he's painted his own giant eyebrows on with brown paint... heh. Keep it up though, definitely improving!

MoP
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    I figured i'd contribute, I just whipped this guy up in about an hour. Have fun with it. smile.gif I'll do a texture soon.

Wizard_prev.jpg

Generic wizard SDK (based on gandalf)

[edit] oops, his beard isn't flat like that it accualy buldges out... the picture didn't get cropped right and its to early in the morning for this. wink.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for the feedback MoP....ill bear those things inmind for my next effort....erm robin hood me thinks smile.gif.

Thats a nice model ya got there N30g,might have to do that one as well to get practice texturing hair after ive finished the Hood smile.gif.

Nice to see some variations from the SCi-fi stuff coming into play now...All we need now is a couple of alien heads,maybe even some animal heads and an orc or 2...then this thread would have almost evrything...

Keep up the good work all

john
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neo make sure u tilt some verts to make his beard and hat slightly asymetric.
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it! smile.gif
    SDK-wizzard1.jpg
    small wip got to finish it later.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Glad you guys like it. smile.gif I may do an orc head, not sure yet.

Qube: you're right it really needs some a-symetry. Should I tweek the verts and re-release it? Must have been because i did it at 4 in the morning. wink.gif

Badname: Lookin good laugh.gif
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea neo i think that would be a good idea
    work a lil bit more on it
    also i dont like the way u mapped the nose.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, the nose is a little wonky. It doesnt look like it was intentional either, though I could be wrong. I considered fixing it, but I got lazy.

Here's what I got so far.
    wizard_scoob.jpg