Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

release the heads!

Replies

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Hehe, necro thread and a good one. think I may give some of these a go again, see how far I have come since last time lol.
  • Akiho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah really blast from the past :) Good idea to try to revive the topic and see how it goes now. Thank you for your positive feedback. I will work harder: 3
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Damn I feel old...
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick one. Gotta say these are still fun.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Xaltar: nice work, loving the glow effect and overall execution, not sure on the grey areas, looking like a matte rubber effect, I think it might need something to make it pop some more- is the face texture based on the brunette bint from Glee? :)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    err i'm not very good at this
    w2gfhy.jpg

trying to look at the past entries and figure out how they did it
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey wrote: »
    Xaltar: nice work, loving the glow effect and overall execution, not sure on the grey areas, looking like a matte rubber effect, I think it might need something to make it pop some more- is the face texture based on the brunette bint from Glee? :)

Cheers :) I'm not happy with the grey areas either they were a problem area when I started blocking things out and persisted irritating me all the way through, it was meant to be aluminum but just never read very well. Partially due to the resolution mostly due to me sucking at metal so I guess I will have to push on it a little more tomorow and try and improve my metal painting skillz :poly124:

The face just kinda happened as it is, I didn't use any real reff for it so any likeness is purely random chance :poly121:

@n88tr
    When I was starting out with texture painting I often found it usefull to use a photo and just tweak everything around till it fit the UV and looked proportionate. Technicaly thats cheating but it did familiarize me with the positioning and shading of things. Once you have your chopped up photo looking good its time to save it out, make a new texture and reference from it, try painting as much of the detail as possible, Zoom in to your ref and look at how the photo is made up, pay attention to the colors. Working with low res stuff like this is a brilliant way to get started painting textures, it forces you to think about every stroke. Always paint at the final resolution when you are getting started, I find that really helps you to push the detail and really understand what is going on. And remember, layers are your friend. I typicaly have at least 15 - 20 layers by the time I am done with a texture, that allows me to tweak shading colors or fade certain areas all simply by messing with the sliders.

Hope this helps ;)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, i'm more of a THINGS guy not much of a character artist.
    I'm just sick of doing things wrong but this is a nice proj to play with

thanks for the advice
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling it done.

fun2w.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Was feeling very left out.

Here's my First stab at Mr.Bobo's SDK.

I had more elaborate plans with this (like the circle on the head and ears n crazy tattoos n shit, but figured I'd rather just start a new one.

bobosdk.jpg
  • Akiho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, maybe you create little tutorial, how you draw this cute texture? I think it's very helpful for us :) Your texture is awesome :3
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    nice work xaltar and jaque

n88r - try starting off with a big airbrush and blocking in the big shapes and values, then lower your brush size and increase hardness, and cut the shapes down a bit adding detail, then just keep repeating that. and reference helps a lot too.

here's my wip, gonna add some color

boboheadwip.png
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I'll add mine to the collection

pimp.jpg

Might do another 1 tonight
  • Fragged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fragged polycounter lvl 9
    @Shotgun; that texture is so sharp! Nice one.

Here's my version of the goggle-chick to the collection, perhaps another one later.

GoggleChick-Fragged.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This tread is starting to rock again xD Nice stuff guys.

What res did you paint that at Shotgun?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Nice one Fragged! It could use a little more very bright specular highlights on parts.

Shotgun - VERY sharp textures. Great job!

daphz - awesome start.

Akiho - thanks a lot man. I don't really have time to do a full fledged tutorial, but here's a link to the PSD if you want to dissect it.

www.jacquechoi.com/images/oBoB01.psd
  • Suidae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suidae polycounter lvl 11
    I thought I'd add a puggy walrus thingamabob to the list.

obobo.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Ohh a golden oldie :p

Here's my addition to the collection:
    boboheadtt.gif

oBoB01.jpg
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    shotgun: Really loving this one! Awesome work!
    JacqueChoi: Dude, totally go the tattoo way. And make that circle on his forehead pop out more.
    gilesruscoe: you need to bring out more contrast in the values. It's very hard to see past the visual "clutter" so to speak.

I'll join in the Bobo heads fun, so here's a guy I did a week or two back. :)

BoboSDK_001.jpg
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Maph yes! haha
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wicked texture maph...
    Your right with the whole noisy texture thing too, is this any better? This thing looks so different when i put it on my other monitor...
    maphisright.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Best necrothread ever! :D
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    jacquehcoi - thanks man!
    shotgun - nice colors
    gileruscoe - that tweak looks much better
    maph - i'm diggin the 'stache :)

bobo_presentation2.png
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin sexy Daphz, not a fan of the cheap spray on black lines tho :P

Digging it Maph, that dude looks like he should be short, wear a kimono and be holding a bowl of rice and chopsticks lol.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Xaltar: Haha! Cheers, that was exactly what I was going for with this guy!

gilesruscoe: Making the cracks darker doesn't really solve anything, what you need to do for this sort of stuff is add a light influence, even if it's minor and just define your general forms better. I'm not talking about the individual stones here, but stuff like the eye sockets and how they cast shadows, zygomatic, etc...
    Also, try to avoid pure black all together, nothing in real life (except for black holes) is entirely black. Go for deep semi-saturated dark colors instead.
    Also, design wise, just try first with larger more stylized piece of rock and a few well placed magma lines.
    What you really need to do at some point (and I've noticed this with your other low poly stuff too) is occasionally add a black and white adjustment layer over your work. And just see that the values are correct.
    As long as you're not working with strong hue contrasts, value contrast is without a doubt the most important part of a good low poly texture or painting in general.
    If you don't mind, I made a shitty paintover to show you what I mean. The top is yours with just a b&w adjustment layer on top of it, under that is what I did. Didn't have a lot of time, so again; forgive me for the shittyness of the paintover.
    gilesruscoe_oBobo_paintover.jpg

And something you need to do often, is squinting your eyes and looking at your work! If you can see the general forms you're all good; if it's a mess, it's not good. :)

Daphz: Coolness! Really liking the design and color choices on this guy. But you should define your light source better. :)
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh thanks so much Maph!
    My texture didnt have any black in it until i smashed the colours into darkness :'(
    Your paint over is certainly alot clearer, will be sure to use that b/w check in future (honestly didn't know it could be done as an adjustment layer until now)

I'll have another crack at it, maybe i should start my own hand painting thread instead of clogging up this one.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Decided to take a stab at this.

BoBo_SDKFishHead.jpg
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I like your design suburbbum, i think the forehead hotspots look a but airbrushed on though, maybe add some mid values in between the bright and darker parts?

thanks for the crit maph! and thanks to terabyte also for giving me a few tips. I think this thing is just about done.

bobo_daphz_newest.png
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work Daphz, much better without the black lines.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished my lava head, i'm sure many people have seen it in the thread i started, but i'll put it here so when it's necro'd in another 3 years people can see it :))
    bobofinal.jpg
  • JabacOrdof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JabacOrdof polycounter lvl 3
    The thread is alive! Again! Obob was a ton of fun to paint, and I learned a lot from him for future texturing.
    [IMG][/img]UnL6we6.jpg

-Eric Kilkenny
  • ChaosWWW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosWWW polycounter lvl 6
    We're bringing it back!

Obob rocky head guy!

X8Bm8yD.png
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Hi I'm Nick! This is the first time I'm posting on polycount and I'm wicked excited to put up more work. I worked on this for one of my classes. Done in one day! Definitely going to go back into it this week and update. Let me know what you think. :)

[IMG][/img]gmcdXnz.jpg