Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

raul's game art

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
raul polycounter lvl 11
Yo, this is my game art thread. To save you guys from having to look at the last post. I will just post some of my sheets here. Why do i have one giant thread? So people can see progression!

For wires and textures please visit my website. Or browse this thread! :P

raparicio.com

Thank you for looking!

Latest ::

showcase_high_b.jpg

Check out page 14 for more

Replies

• Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Go Raul! I diggin the details! You're really becoming proficient with those. Keep it commin man!
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    MAN that's a fancy chair! Looking forward to more detail!
  • Soft_Hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's fancy and newfangled! Such a piece deserves to be adored! More please.

Anyhoo... I WANT THAT CHAIR!
  • katerina yonce
    Good job Raul. The chair looks just as awesome as your gun :) I can't wait till they are both textured
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    That chair is awesomesauce.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Wow very impressive. That's always one thing I wanted to learn how to do is model high poly in max and maya w/out zbrush. How many different meshes is that?
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    hehehe, thanx guys. Well, im using softimage. And i really havent counted how many pieces i have. I just know there are A LOT!! lol.

Here is a rough pass at the cushions. I spent some time doing the base meshes, i just couldnt wait to get them in zbrush and do some detaling. STill looking mushy. Any tips are welcome!

Here is a screen grab of the chair with the new base meshes that i will take into zbrush to sculpt the cushions with.

barbers-chair__010.jpg

and here is in zbrush.

barbers-chair__008.jpg

barbers-chair__009.jpg
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    A good start and a fantastic chair- but the sculpt appears to be a little unevenly lumpy- I'd suggest trying to firm it out a bit

- Are you going to make it pink? :D
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, nice to see you in zbrush again :) Looking good! Yet it if you look at ur ref the creases and places where the buttons are are very tight. In ur piece it feels like they are getting there, but not tight enough. And when you were sculpting, some of your buttons feel like they got streched with the creases. Maybe resculp and tight it up, and then have the buttons as a subtool on top? I know you're not done, so this isn't my final verdict. Keep it man!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    This can come out extremely awesome keep going! Great work!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Raul, this is looking good though I think once you put in the buttons on the chair you are losing the attention to detail you have on the other parts. Go back and really take the time to make it right, and not so lumpy. I would suggest you have the cushion part as a subtool, and the buttons as a seperate subtool ( I am sure you are probably doing this ) build up the details slowly and really look at the reference. I would have actually just done the cushion without the geometry put into it with the buttons, meaning pretty much how you had it before you added them, divided enough evenly to put in the details. Take the time and rework that as this piece is another great character for your portfolio.

Spark
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    OrganizedChaos - eerrr...no! lol. I was thinking more like hot pink! jk. No, i was actually thinking of making it a tone of red. not digging the purple.

Thanx guys for looking at my stuff and offering tips and help! Much appreciated it, i will go back and make those fixes.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, i ended up doing the cushions in xsi. I left them all as quads, so i may take them to zbrush and detailing there. Dont ask why, i just found it very difficult to get the little shapes. In xsi, i ended up making a pattern.

I had 3 major patterns. The other variation i just kinda modeled it by hand on the final assembled structrure.

barbers-chair__012.jpg

And here is the chair. Im planning on going back and tigthing the a few edges here and there.

barbers-chair__011.jpg

In the long run, this may have taken me a while to figure out, but im glad i did. as i always wanted to know how to go about making pretty parterns..look!! So the question now is, how easy would have this been in zbrush?? the pattern aproach took me about 40 minutes, since i had to figure out what the actual pattern was. Once i got it took me anoter 40 minutes to build the rest of the shapes. it felt a little slow but at least i got to try something new. I still left all my geometry as quads in case i decide to take this to zbrush.
  • psychoticprankster
  • psychoticprankster
    Looks great keep up the good work!
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    The cushions lookin a lot better... and that was fast too!
    -Phil
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    thanx guys! looking to start on my next prop soon. Moving on to more elaborated things

For this vespa scooter, i have more pics, but just to give you guys a general idea. And if anyone knows where to get blue prints, please let me know! :)
    scooter__001.jpg

After im done with this high poly. i will start making low poly versions of my last 3 props.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looks awesome Raul! Missed ya at the ABOSG meeting last week :(
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that's what i'm talkin bout! Looks fun!!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i was gunna knock you one upside your head for wimping out on the cushions but then i scrolled down and found out you were a real man

respect
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Great thread you got here mate.

Lol, you have the same "prob" I do, I end up making most of my stuff as sub-d modeling and then I just give it a few touches in ZB. I find it really hard to make sharp and accurate shapes with sculpting. :(
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Lee3dee - dude you came all the way from austin??? For reals???? Danm it!!!!!! Oh welll, ill see u for industry giants, maybe?! :) By the way, i saw your thread the other day, really badass stuff!! Your fx reel!!

phil- hell yeah!!! yeah..watch me be like, oh no this is too hard!!lol

harry - lol...dude u made me blush!

HP - thanx man. i am trying. i am finally trying reallly really really hard!! Like i was told to stay away from zbrush until i get the stuff nailed out in just the modeling app. The thing is that now, when i try to use zbrush, and i get frustrated so easyly. Tho i must get over my demons.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Here is a small update. Im still trying to get the tires look a little better. And trying to get the rigth depth of the rims. Again, feed back would be awesome! :)

scooter__003.jpg

And, i thought it would be cool if i wrote a little breakdown of how i made the rims. Not sure if anyone wants to see how i made the tire. Funny, doing those patterns for the cushions were good for something! :)

scooter__002.jpg
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude! Wow! Nice! I liek how ur patter on ur wheel is mirrored with an offset so u can't easily tell that its only 3 pieces :D Good tut man! Will there be more tuts along the way? Or maybe a making of?
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Thanx man. Problably, if u guys are nice ill take the time to make more! :) The reason why i made this walkthrough is in hopes that someone more experienced comes around and bashes me for doing things the hard way so i can learn more so...( hint hint! :P)

by the way, zelenkov. I didnt really mirror anything. The pivot point is at the center of the world. And the 10 sided circle is at the center of the world. So the pieces revolve around it. Once you figure out how much u need to rotate them, the pieces just fall in place. Afterwards i just combine all of them into one piece.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, here is a small update of the scooter. At the moment, im blocking out the masses so i can start making things look pretty later.

scooter__005.jpg

scooter__004.jpg
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohoo! :) I like it. Looks like u nailed the shapes after all! Keep going man. I wana see it done by tonight :)
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was gonna model one of those looks nice!
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Great detailing on everything so far! I really like that chair. Don't have anything to say that would improve your work (because it's great :P).
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Zelenkov - lol. right...

makecg - go for it dude! just be advice, finding good blue prints of one single model of these vespas is hard as hell. I wouldnt mind sharing what i found with u.

DarthNater - Thanx man! :)

So, here are my weekend updates. I also would like to take a second to ask for a little help. Where exactly do i need to place my edges in order to make my geometry retain a square and not look jacked up. This is driving me insane!! Here is a pic so you can see what i mean.
    scooter__009.jpg

And here is what i got so far. My goal for today is to finish the body, and prolly tomorow start doing the engine parts at the bottom ( whhich im really looking forward to )

scooter__010.jpg

scooter__011.jpg
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarNoodle polycounter lvl 17
    where the heck are the updates man? come on!!! faster faster faster! lol nah, kidding man. Looks amazing! keep it up! can you put flames coming from the front for the final paint job? sweet, thanks. ;)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Well, here are some updates. I just wanna say thanx to EarthQuake for starting this thread I havent seen all of it yet, but holy crap, i learned so much more. And started using floters all over the freaking place. ( tho the credit for the floters goes to Spark as he is the 1st one to tell me about! Thanx man! )

scooter__013.jpg

scooter__012.jpg

The mechanical peices at the bottom are s till not done. I will get those in later on as well as cleaning up a bunch of really weird stuff. all around the handles. Feed back is welcome!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Very nice sub-d! Great little tutorial too, thanks.
  • katerina yonce
    it looks great dude...i love the detail...How did you do the detail on the wheel??? You should make a tutorial on how you did that ;)
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    nice modeling on the vespa...looks like fun
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Well, here is an update on the semi finished model. Im currently fine tunning and giving the required love to bring it closer to the reference. Please, any feed back and advice is welcome.

Any suggestions and feedback is welcome.

scooter__016.jpg

scooter__015.jpg

scooter__014.jpg
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweeet ride! Looks like most the pieces are built. Just minor tweaks left.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Guys, i have a quick question. I am trying to match my high poly beuty renders to something like this.

http://www.peperaart.com/

or

http://www.ilyanedyal.com/index.html

Are there any tutorials you guys recomend? It looks like the basic shader is just a phone with a high specular. A 4 ligth set up, and maybe GI. On pepperart, i see an env map as well. and a nice warm ligth set up. Ive been playing around and im close to figure it out, but if anyone has any suggestions, im all ears! :)
  • Lsleepless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lsleepless polycounter lvl 8
    All right man, thought I would say hi here.

you got me to sign up, too. Ill try and keep up with you, Doubt I can, don't know if I have the energy right now, still pretty burned from the stuff I am doing for work.
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/hdr_lighting/

http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/vray_video/

http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/vray_render_studio/

http://en.9jcg.com/comm_pages/blog_content-art-220.htm

Hey Raul,
    I remembered you were asking about Vray in class. I know jack squat about rendering but here are some links that may work for ya. Hope they help.
    -Phil
  • phillip.bailey
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Thanx dude, i checked out those links. After understand wtf was going on, i went back to xsi to recreate the shaders.

This is what i came up with, im still playing around with the ligthing set up and the shader. I think i kinda nailed the shader now i just gotta figure out how to set my ligths.

scooter__017.jpg

this is what it looked like before ( with just one normal phong)

001a_vespa__shaded.jpg
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet dude! starting to get some cool contrasts
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    very clean model and good proportions but you are missing some nice curves on the model

not sure if this was mentioned already:

5ZMg0-055a5ddb937856ca0819ab0ffadfe619.jpg

the front wheel cover should be narrower in the front and the back wheel cover should have some bulge to the surface and not totally flat like yours.
  • Lortomon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work Clean and full of detail. The only thing that I could see was the profile of the tire. const_tubeless.jpg

If you look at your reference you can see the midway point.The surface area from the rim where it's lighter. At the end of the light that should be a seam there. Where the rubbing strip is in the pic. there also is the point where the tire seats in the rim.
  • gammaslam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your stuff looks pretty solid man, i don't really have any crits. keep it up
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys thanx for the feedback. I will be back going today and fixing most of the tweaks on the geometry.

In the mean time, i have been working on the showcase renders. So, here it is

scooter__020.jpg

here is the older one.

scooter__017.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Here are some updates on the tire section of the vespa. Still tweaking, i did something dumb, i googled some images for the break disc and after i was done i realized that it was the wrong one as it does not really match the ones on the other reference images. So i will be going back and remodel that. Any thougths on that issue? SHould i not worry about it? this will get made into a low poly. and i would like it to be dead on.

Yep, well, here it is.

vespa__019.jpg

vespa__018.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    i am revisiting the barber's chair and adding the finishing touches. And so i gave zbrush another try. Not too happy with the results, feedback is welcome! :)

barbers-chair__013.jpg

barbers-chair__014.jpg