Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

raul's game art

Replies

• Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I love you, Raul. I love you like a fat kid loves skittles in his icecream. Man...
  • limesimme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    40,000?!
    >.>
    <.<
    lol idk man... even if you were aiming for a next gen piece that is pretty high. I think you have something more along the lines of a mid poly. Like Cinematic quality. I think it looks great! Just like the highpoly in fact! But to call it a lowpoly I would at least get it in the 10,000 range
    This is "current-gen" man! Kinda bugged out over people calling a 40000 tri piece "next-gen".. And we need to stop with the "mid-poly" bullshit.
    Sorry raul for bugging your thread with this, great stuff you have in here, very inspiring!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    40,000?!
    >.>
    <.<
    lol idk man... even if you were aiming for a next gen piece that is pretty high. I think you have something more along the lines of a mid poly. Like Cinematic quality. I think it looks great! Just like the highpoly in fact! But to call it a lowpoly I would at least get it in the 10,000 range
    limesimme wrote: »
    This is "current-gen" man! Kinda bugged out over people calling a 40000 tri piece "next-gen".. And we need to stop with the "mid-poly" bullshit.
    Sorry raul for bugging your thread with this, great stuff you have in here, very inspiring!

the only game ive seen with specs near that high is crysis.. but still not at 40k.. their tanks and helicopters reach around 30k.. but then again, how hard is it to run a game like that on a standard pc...
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, Raul. Whatever that this is, it's going to turn out amazing. I like all of the little parts that aren't lined up or asymmetrical, really nice attention to detail. It'd be cool if you made a low poly version that was maybe like, 1/3 of your 40k one, if not just to see what details you can get into something that low. :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    limesimme wrote: »

Just curious as to why midpoly is "bullshit." And what game you have seen a vehicle in at 40,000 tris?
    Oniram wrote: »
    the only game ive seen with specs near that high is crysis.. but still not at 40k.. their tanks and helicopters reach around 30k.. but then again, how hard is it to run a game like that on a standard pc...

I like how Oniram was actually able to give a game and a tri count... Not allowed to say what game, but a current gen PS3 game is shooting out vehicles at 6000 - 8000.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    Aren't the tri counts for cars in games high as shit? I remember hearing certain games where they were in the 50-100K+ range.

This def ain't 8K

http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/circuitdelasarthe20092.jpg

EDIT - rumor was GT5 some cars were 500K. Here was the break down for Forza 3 I found online. Not sure if it's official, but it's believable since people have been able to pull the models out of Forza and put them in mods in GTA.

LOD0: 172753 polys (car selection)
    LOD1: 45074 polys (gameplay)
    LOD2: 21802 polys
    LOD3: 13134 polys
    LOD4: 6360 polys
    LOD5: 2556 polys
    Hi-res cockpit: 79,845 polys

Forza: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/5045394726_5e28d7e8b7_z.jpg

Sorry to derail your thread Raul. Awesome work as usual though.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    40,000?!
    >.>
    <.<
    lol idk man... even if you were aiming for a next gen piece that is pretty high. I think you have something more along the lines of a mid poly. Like Cinematic quality. I think it looks great! Just like the highpoly in fact! But to call it a lowpoly I would at least get it in the 10,000 range.

I have really been needing to try out those textools... Been wanting to really bad but I just haven't unwrapped in a while...

10,000?! you nuts? lol, Im sure you are seeing a lot of alpha possibilities, but you can't go crazy on alpha's as those are expensive. This is no small prop. This is beastly. Games coming out now, this is the new lowpoly no doubt. Especially for what we are seeing coming around the corner. ;)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    rooseterMAP- what did you want to know? maybe i can break it down and show. Have a few people asking the same thing already.
    EVIL & fearian - thanx, the uving on this made me weep too ;)
    For this, i baked at 4k, downsized to 2k ( 2048x2048 ) Yes...i know..there are better ways to do this. Thats just how i chose to do it.
    tractor__025.jpg
    jj- danm it, jj! lol It had to be you who had to come here and say that. Its ok, ill swing by later and kick your ass at killer instinct! ;)
    Well, your point would have been totally valid 10 years ago. Now, i honestly asked around the office and gathered that i should do this at 60k. Although, even i thought that was ridicously high. So in the end is at 40k. Bitch all you want, not gonna reduce anything else :P

I honestly think that the term low poly now refers to what goes in the game, because depending what its for and what engine is being used. That is how you have to build your models. This tractor is not going in any game. Is for a folio, therefore im making it look good. Could i reduce it? Sure, but i would loose a lot of silhotute and detail. Not saying i dont agree with you guys, just saying that "low poly budgets" should not hurt your folio.
    limesimme & Kewop Decam- Its cool guys, i know where JJ lives! :P
    Makkon - teheheh, u made me blush!

Oniram - yeah i hear you. I could name some games too. But not allowed to ;)
    Chemical Alia - hey you! Thanx! :)
    JonathanF - beastly, hehe i like that.

So i had some time this afternoon to play around with the textures. Here is normal and diffuse. No spec yet.

tractor__024.jpg
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Excellent and inspirational stuff here thanx for showing your work
    Ive been watching this thread for a while and wanted to through out some props
    Theres all ways the poly war of Too much and Too little. If it looks good thats the important part(in moderation of course, it is supposed to be game asset work), but hey it show your incredible understanding of detail and devotion to the work.

Thanx again plz keep it up
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Guys....poly's in games nowadays is really not of the utmost concern anymore.

Textures and memory and draw calls and such IS. Current gen engines can chew up 7000 minimum almost for free. Free, meaning not even the slightest blemish on the frame-rate. And IN FACT, if you optimize your models too much nowadays, you are just wasting your time. There is such a thing as over optimization. It all depends on the engine / game / platform etc...if your art director tells you to model something with 10k poly's, don't try to be cool and model it with 5k.... do it at exactly 10k poly's... not half, or 15,000....these are just things I've heard around the nets these days =)

As for your art, Raul....excellent. And I can already tell you aren't minding the guys telling you to down-rez haha
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Goodlord, looking at that normal map, uving the thing must have been quite the task.
    the textures are coming along quite well! love it, keep it up man!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    raul wrote: »
    For this, i baked at 4k, downsized to 2k ( 2048x2048 ) Yes...i know..there are better ways to do this. Thats just how i chose to do it.

how else would you do that? or are you just talking about rendering 4k without super sampling to account for the anti aliasing in the 2k?

lookin really neat so far on the texture. :D
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Still playing with the spec, thinking of adding some dirt in the tracks as well.
    tractor__031.jpg
  • AlexanderL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexanderL polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, that model is fantastic, and the texture is looking great! Just the right amount of color variation and grime.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    AlexanderL wrote: »
    Wow, that model is fantastic, and the texture is looking great! Just the right amount of color variation and grime.

I second this. You could have gone crazy hardcore on rust and grime, but from the looks of it you did the smart thing and only put it where it counts, and it's looking awesome!

My only gripe right now is you have some very strong white lines all across your edges, I have a feeling you're using highlighted edges from your normals and overlaying it onto your diffuse, maybe tone that down a bit and leave it more for your spec, for some reason I find it very distracting.

Awesome job though, you've been pumping out some amazing art and its crazzyyy inspirational!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    alexander - thanx
    jason - thanx, i did overlay some of my normal, but mainly right now, thats the spec map that needs to be adjusted.
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have a question, all these models are made with modo?
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking sick dude! I think the springs are looking to bright though. seems like those normally rust up pretty good normally. just catching to much attention right now. Thats me though. Great job dude!! NOW ANIMATE IT!! :)
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Looking really nice! I'll agree that right now it kind of looks like everything sort of has a white outline, but if you're working on the spec, that's probably what's going on there. Looking forward to seeing the final result for sure!
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    i have a question, all these models are made with modo?

I think he is using XSI.

@Raul This Looking awesome, No Crit from me, I can't wait to see the finish! :)
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    Looks cool, man.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Gawd, that is one sexy vehicle, 40k of sexy that is. Can't wait for the finished result :) Keep up the good work man!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    the texture is too consistent throughout the model. add more too it.

thats a wonderful bake tho.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I think things are coming along pretty well man! Though I would like to say that I think that you need more variation. Your entire texture is the same grunge kinda all over and my eyes can't rest anywhere because there is no contrast/focal point... everything is that same green grey color.I was actually liking where you were on the post just before that one. Your tracks were a completely different color from the body of the thing and your paint had rust placed in a more realistic way. It had contrast and interest. What did you do with those textures? :P

Keep it coming Raul! I am digging this project.

Edit: I guess I could have just said it as simple as roosterMAP. :P
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    hey Raul,
    awesome and greatly inspiring work !
    That is one sick tracktor.

Could u share a bit of your baking process maybe?
    Do u explode the model, do u bake different detail in several passes?
    Any baking setup tricks if u use some?
    Well, if u dont mind of course ;)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Matroskin - i just press the "bake-super-awesome-normal-and-ao button" jk. Well, honestly its just a lot of practice and understand what kind of geometry your low poly needs to project and hold the map being projected. Your uvs are also important for when it comes time for texturing. Earthquake posted a very cool tutorial on normals a while back. I suggest you take a look at that.

As far as tricks, i use xnormal and marmoset. I do explode. And honestly it just depends on what is it that im baking. If i get waves then i add more faces. Is that simple. If you got any specific questions just ask, ill do my best to answer it :)

So, im totally gonna ignore JJ and roostermap rantins and feedback. lol. Ill get back to that project someday. For now ive been messing around with wordpress and doing other thigs. But the other day i decided it was time to start posting again. Ans show some cool art. So here it is.

This is a shotgun that i found browsing through cghub.
    http://cghub.com/images/view/74863/

I thought it looked fucking crazy, so i figured it would be cool to model that. So here is my progress after a few hours

oriental-shotgun_003.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    holy bawls thats detailed!
    Love it, but seriously, did you have to that grip in geometry?
    Your just showboating at that point :P
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Well, I'll say it first. Make a tut on how u did that grip! Sick modeling man, as always :)
  • tagobarantino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul, how did you made that grip? do you model each square and place it in there? Cheers m8!
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Oh say it ain't so Raul is back at it again. That concept is crazy for sure lots of detail in there. Looks like your off to a great start and I'll have to ask also how did you do the grip? Generally how to do go about conforming loads of detail like that around those shapes. Look forward to seeing this come together.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Happy time! Doing some sexy job here, Raul, keep it coming
    Great choice of concept art btw)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Damn this is cool, did you shrink wrap the pistol grip?
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good! I've seen that concept somewhere b4, wonder if I have it in my props folder....?
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, this is amazing. Great choice of item. Its like a musket had sex with a shotgun and birthed a mutant life-ruiner. Cant wait to see the bake!

The back of the grip looks kinda like dragon-skin (the kevlar body armour that they are developing atm) Looks really "mean", youve nailed the concept.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good bud!!
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    hey raul you going to be industry giants firiday,
    you better be, I am flying all the way from LA just to come just to see my short guy friends
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    I will be posting updates throughout the weekend, showing progress on this boat. Here are my first 30 minutes of work. Simple blockout stages.

PICT0858web-1.jpg
    tug_boat_001.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Some more updates

tug_boat_003.jpg
    tug_boat_002.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good bud!!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    All your stuff looks really good, very inspiering. But about the boat if this would be a "real" game it would be for (maybey it is i dont know) but would you model all of those detail on the hp or would that take to long time? :)
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource wrote: »
    All your stuff looks really good, very inspiering. But about the boat if this would be a "real" game it would be for (maybey it is i dont know) but would you model all of those detail on the hp or would that take to long time? :)

Personally I model pretty much everything in as much detail as possible. Thats what makes a game "quality" by having as much detail/effort go into every assets as possible. If it takes an extra hour to make something go from being "good" to "amazing" then its definitely worth it.

Looking great Raul, looking forward to seeing how this baby turns out.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    That's great man,you're using modo!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Great start mate, don't let this die :)
  • JoshC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking awesome, can't wait to see more :D
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scotthomer wrote: »
    Personally I model pretty much everything in as much detail as possible. Thats what makes a game "quality" by having as much detail/effort go into every assets as possible. If it takes an extra hour to make something go from being "good" to "amazing" then its definitely worth it.

Looking great Raul, looking forward to seeing how this baby turns out.
    Okey but i did not mean to skip the detail just adding it later on the normal map. For portofolio i understand but in production do you always have the time to make things amazing?
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ S_ource - if your a student, go for amazing and add all the detail you can! Effective detail = better portfolio! In production your expected to do top notch looking stuff unless told other wise. The pros will show you tricks on how to add more in less time when you have a job. Till then, you go the extra mile as a student cause in a portfolio, that's what helps get you a job!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    scotthomer- Thanks man! I too like to just model all the little details. I think if you take into cosideration all the maps that you can get from it. The time spent on a well constructed high poly is time that you can cut off from texturing.

Jonathan - yeah, buddy!
    S_ource - A "real" game? Well there are numerous ways to go about building this kinda things. Honesty the bigger it is, the better it is to use tiling textures and such. But the purpose for this boat is to be a folio piece. So the goal is to have fun and make something crazy. Like Jonathan said, if you have the chance, and have no budget make it fucking crazy! You want your work to showcase the best of your abilities. At least for me, showing that you can model subd and do it quickly tells me that not only are you a fast modeler but also that you care about your work. Because the devil is in the little detials..or something like that. lol

And sure, people will argue that they can use X plugin in photoshop..blah blah..if you are short in time then its whatever works best and looks good.

Igi - modo is my new found love! :D

Stromberg - not this time..lol

JoshC - thanks dude!

Well, again, put a few hours into this tonight. I think its getting to the point where i can start bringing it all together and actually make it look like a boat!

tug_boat_004.jpg
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    wow great stuff!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answers all, very helpful. :D (now i will stop clutter you thread(ihope()ithink)) :D
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    showcase_high_b.jpg
    showcase_high_a.jpg
    showcase_high_c.jpg

My goal is to get this done sometime before monday, so i can move on to something new! I thought of doing a zbrush pass on this guy, but i got a bit lazy :P