Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

raul's game art

Replies

• phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    Dude, the cushions don't look too bad. You may feel they are a little too blobby but it works!. If it works, it works and I think it works. When I compare to the reference... your cushions are too tall and too round. Treat them as if they are actually wrapped around the wooden arm. Easy fixes with the move or flatten brush perhaps.
    Cool disc brakes too!
    -Phil
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really enjoying this thread, quality work :)
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Great stuff! Keep it up!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    keep up the great work man!!!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keep up the great work man!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    I revisited the antique flintlock gun and pimped it out with what i learned doing the chair and the vespa. Also tried a new render set up. I kinda like it. :)

There are still some things i need to adjust. Any feed back is welcome! :D

reference

003.jpg

flinklock__020.jpg

flinklock__019.jpg

flinklock__018.jpg

flinklock__017.jpg

By the way, some peeps ask me how i wrap stuff around the surface. If i model them in place. The answer is no, i like my free time to hunt for pictures of hot girls in fb lol jk...., i do make sure i work fast and smart! I normally model stuff in place, as straight as possible. then i use a lattice or a surface deformer and have my way with things.

flinklock__016.jpg

At the same time, once i know where things need to go i start adjusting the clone by hand in places where the lattice just wont work. Modding the master is the way to go just in case i need to cchange more stuff and that way i dont have to worry about redoing all that work of adjusting the mesh to fit the target spot.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    that's sexy dude. thanks for sharing the info on the lattice tool.. I never knew what that was
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DETAILS! nice can't wait to see the normal cast for this.
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Wow! that's looking awesome!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doing good bud! looking forward to seeing all your pieces in low poly and baked next! :)
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    thanks for posting the lattice stuff on the pistol. I needed some close up inspiration for the model I am doing thanks again.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The flintlock is looking rather awesome sir
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    badass work man! the pistol is extremely well detailed, great mesh too, nothing wasted there :thumbup:
  • Geri0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geri0n polycounter lvl 7
    This is great stuff Raul. Im doing a pistol that has similar designs and stuff on it also so your work on your flintlock pistol will come as a great source of inspiration and ideas. :D
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    @jmiles - deformers are very powerful! I use lattices and push a lot. What i like about push, is that it works the same way in software, so i can apply push deformer and know that is gonna do wut i need.

phil - hell yeah man, details are everything!!! And by the way, ta da!! Low poly in the works below.

dang87 - thanx!

johnathan - thanx!!! here it is!!

daniel - not a problem, the stuff ur doing for brileys class is looking sharp! Keep it up!

@bitmap + woogity - thanx guys, this gun is just so badass( not my model, but the real thing ). Funny thing is that i modeled it, and then i start seeing it in pirates of the carrebean movies, and other games. The more i think about it, the more i realize how painful it would be to hold such weapon. Just look at those details, bet they make it hard to carry thegun.

Gerion - again, feels good to know im helping others without really helping. Good luck on your project!!

So now, after a few weeks of slacking. Here it is! My wip low poly. I slapped some crap uvs ( fattlen mapping ) as i keep changing things and baking my maps. Just in case anyone asks wtf is up with the weird seams. Also, my tri count for this is 4k. Any suggestions and feedback is welcome.

I do have a question, ive noticed that when the low poly doesnt quite touch the high poly. You get these shadows, now is this something that i get rid of adding more geometry ( that's how ive been dealing with it ) or is there a way that i can just adjust my cages and somehow make it go away. I guess my question is, how do you approach this situation.

flinklock__023.jpg
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    That high poly is seriously impressive :thumbup::thumbup:
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    wow raul! That highpoly and now the low poly is a REALLY solid piece. Everything is really just awesome :P
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    kimono - thank you sir! i feel honored by your 2 thumbs up!

JJ - thanx dude. guess this low poly deal aint as bad as i thought.

Well, i really dont have any updates tonigth. Other than the fact that the computer ive been using all this time is gone...my old job was kind enough to let me borrow it for a while, till i found another job i guess.. so Element X Creative..THANK YOU!! YOU RULE!!!!

on the bitch side, i dont have a machine now...lol....so it will be a while till i get this stuff done.

i feel like i just broke up with a very loving gf...sighs..lol
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it is a sad time indeed.. did you back up your stuff on that DVD yet?
  • Hatred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred polycounter lvl 18
    Hi poly is really impressive thats for sure but low isnt at all, those bakes dont look good, i hope its all coz "crap UVs" but I think you should retopo a low model a bit, especially the underside maby add some poly here ant there for better smoothing and baking, but maby its coz od those UVs, good luck with your comp!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Not much too add here to what has already been said.

I really like the cushions work on the chair, your zb skills are getting there, at least for this kind of bloby cloth i think your getting there, you know where to paint the indentations.

well, awesome thread you got here m8, keep up.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    hatred - thanx for the feedback. I added a few polies here and there like you suggested. Gun is looking a lot cleaner now! This time around, i used better uvs. I just dont see the point of making good uvs when im still fixing the low poly cuz they will be destryoed anyway.

HP - thanx man! yeah...those cushions..lol...i will get them sculpted somehow! Or maybe just textured. At this point i really just wanna get these last 3 items out of the way.

I undusted my old pentium 4 with one gig, and fired up max9......and here is wut i got.

Added more tris to help the silhouette better. I think now is time to see where i could crunch polies. Any suggestions?

There are still some overcasting errors im aware of that i need to fix. I just wanted to show my progress and get some feedback. Thanx guy! :)

Here is the marmoset render
    flinklock__025.jpg

and a few wireframes
    flinklock__024.jpg

between other things, i wanted to ask something...ive never really used max for modeling before until now. And i cant say i like the program, but i get around...lol. One big question i have, and maybe this is due to my old machine acting up, but i started making some short keys and some of them worked, and some of them didnt...so is that normal? or is my machine just fucked up? Also, when i make a key for something, it seems like it still remmbers wut its original function is. For example, i tried to do F for frame instead of Z and it still took me to the front view....so i ended up not making shortcuts. Any advice on this? I ended up just learning the shortcuts since i just wanted to get this done....oh man...softimage i miss u!! :(
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Sounds like you have to put keyboard shortcut override toggle on.
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    Fantastic gun.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    This is awesome! If it were in a first-person game it would probably be pretty small and held out a bit from the camera, so you might have to cut back a bit of that detail by just mapping it onto a flatter surface (like some of the detail on the sides that would probably be too small to really see in-game). With that said, it definitely looks much better the way you have it now. I can't wait to see it textured.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    MaD - thanx! I knew it was gonna be something retardly easy! lol.
    16bit - thanx! :D
    dtschutz - Well, this is obviously my not 1st low poly. However, it is the 1st one that has been the easiest as far as building it and trying since now i have a more understanding of wtf is going on. I actually wanna put this as a gun in unreal just for the hell of it. lol
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Well, buddy.... you are reaching the echelon of badassery! The gun bake looks amazing. Little things could be tweaked, but i'm sure ur on top of that. After you texture it then look out! Peeps will start following you on the streets :)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    @zelekov- lol, shut up gene! im trying...cant wait for texturing!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Here is a 1st pass to the low poly of the barber chair. Feed back is welcome! :)

Wires
    barbersChair__lp_002.jpg

Marmoset Render
    barbersChair__lp_003.jpg

Referece
    barbers-chair__005.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great first pass man! its getting there, obviously still needs some work and new bakes. The low poly geo is looking great!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks good in marmoset :) the support things for the chair back that youve done on planes need to be duplicated and flipped so that they show up in front view as well as back, you know what I mean?
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    jonathan - thanx!
    Ged - marmoset makes everything looks so goooood! Yeah, i know what you mean. Normally, I'd separate elements that use alphas into another group, then im marmoset i apply a separate material to that chunch and turn the alpha on.. Totally forgot to do it this time. It was so late..lol And i just wanted to see if the normals look ok.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    here is a 2nd pass at my vespa. Currently standing at around 5k tris. I still have a few pieces to add to it.

scooter__022_a.jpg

And what i think a close to final low poly for the barber chair. The one thing im having trouble with is the blacks that you get when the lp mesh is not covering the hp surface entirely.

barbersChair__lp_004.jpg
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    the part that hangs over the vespa's front wheel, is there a reason you didn't use the geo to get the proper shape and let the bake shoot right through and catch some funky parts in the bake? You going to alpha that or something? If so, don't and just model out the shape.

Barber chair looks good but I think certain parts like the back support needs more geo and the back where you're getting weird bake casting just needs to be modeled out. It's like, what... 20-50 more polys for the added shapes on the back?
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    kewop - thanx for the feedback. Yeah, the back of it i was thinking of alpha that out. i just noticed it doesnt look right at all. My aplogies. I am casting using material ids. So i got under control what is casting on top of what. Not sure why this came out the way it did. One question i do have, is i got the break pad, that is like 500 by itself...and i feel that is the problably the biggest piece in there. Would it be a good idea to use 2 planes, to caste the front and the back of the piece instead?

As far as the barber chair, yeah, i figured it had to come to do that.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Your modelling inspires me :D
    please keep up with your amazing work ill be following +_+
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good bud! I do see a couple of waisted geometry on the vespa.. at least I think I do. Chair is looking great. Really looking forward to the texturing on the chair!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Jungsik - thank you!
    JonathanF - u think u do!!! lol . yeah, i know i gotta go back and fix stuff on that one.

Anyway, here is the final lp barber chair. be texturing sometime this weekend.

barbersChair__lp_006.jpg

lp breakdown.
    barbersChair__lp_007.jpg
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the only thing that really bothers me, is the facet on the headrest. But I don't know if I even wanna complain. looks good man!
    -phil
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    That chair reminds me of something you'd find in Batman:Arkham Asylum. Looks good.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet chair man! love it!
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    Flipping amazing. I love the high-poly on that pistol. The bake turned out well too.

Love the chair too. Back in the 60's they had this thing called Project Orion, where they were going to launch a space ship that flew on atomic bombs to Saturn. Because it flew using A-bombs for propulsion, they had none of the crappy weight problems we have with 'modern' spacecraft. They boasted that they would use a barber's chair for the command seat on the first flight. When I saw your barber's chair, my first thought was "If I was going to fly to Saturn by sticking A-bombs up my ass, that is the chair I would want to sit in!"
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    @phil - i over looked that part! thanx for pointing it out.
    @jonhathan + joseph - thanx! :)
    Tea Monster - lol.. that was a pretty intersting story!

anyway, here is some progress on the chair's texture. been a while since i textured, so im not to happy with my 1st pass. Any suggestions?

barbersChair__lp_010.jpg
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    YES to that! :D

Give the wood some more spec love, it's not getting the sheens on the handles like in the photo.. granted that is light reflecting directly back into the camera though.

Nice work mate.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking pretty good bud! metal seems a little not so much shiny... as well the plastic like red material..... well, i take that one back. material is fine. that one reference has extreme lighting. And what is that leg rest floating in mid air? I know this is your first pass.. and I'm sure you know these things... lol :)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    @electro and jonathan - well to be honest, i was playing with color speculars and didnt excatly knew wtf was going. So i dumped all that work and started over just doing black and white....figured i could add the color on top of that later if i needed to. Im trying to figure out how to make the metal on my chair look more like the metal on the picture. Is this something that achieved through the specular inside of marmoset?

i was also thinking of using the new 3 point studio shader, which looks really awesome too!
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet progress Raul! Try separating the different materials in the specular. Right now everything has highlight information but no individual material difference. That's why you're metal isn't looking right. Dude, 3 point shader rocks, I just started using. Clean up that alpha man! Great start!
  • katerina yonce
    Chair looks pretty cool dude. There's a few things you need to adjust on your diffuse though. You need to make the wood a little more red to match the reference especially the base of the chair. Your wood also looks a little flat so you need to adjust your specular. The metal needs a lot of work. It has a lot more gold tones and yours is completely silver. It's also very flat which kinda makes it look a little like concrete. You need to adjust your specular on that as well.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    @ kat...lookie u giving me advice! :)
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    what texture size is that>?