Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

raul's game art

Replies

• JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    nice! but i agree with Phillip... why are there seams? lol. Anyways! yeah.. i bet you could bring it down to 3k tri's. looking good though for a crap test.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    kinda hard to go lower on this man. Those wheels are expensive!! also i kept getting a bunch of waves. So i just added geometry and took away from other places.

coffee-grinder__006.jpg

By the way, for my fellow xsi users. In xsi, is there a way to use a cage for baking normal maps? I know its got the offset option, but that doesnt seem to work too well. So i ended baking the maps in max. Also, using the 3point studio shader! oh yeah!!! lol
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    here is a texture pass on this.
    coffee-grinder__011.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice man!!! really digging this texture so far! keep it up! ya almost there! I know this is a first post pass and its looking great! maybe the wood base seems not dull enough like the reference?... highlights don't seem tight enough really when i look the ref for the metal parts... I think your diffuse looks pretty much done, its the spec map that needs the working on.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Hey this might be a really noob question buthow did you do the wheels? Like how did you get gaps in your normal map?
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Jonathan F - thanx dude! yeah, the wood seems messy. Ill see what i can do to fix it.
    SaferDan - I pressed the magic button that says " enable gaps in normal map"! lol jk

I did something Sparks suggested. And that is to use a plane and use a series of plane in the inbetween of the main two planes to cover up the hole. The problem im having tho is that i wasnt too careful so the seam shows up too much. So i gotta fix that as well. Look at my wires, now that i explained what i did you should see the series of planes behind the big plan that makes up the wheel. I did this, as opposed to modeling the entire wheel to save polies.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ok how many planes are there? I can't actually see them :(

It looks amazing though :)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    a few, ill take some screen shots and do a break down later! :)
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    While that is a clever alpha trick, you could have avoid the expense of an alpha and just spent the geometry it would take to make the shape. It's just that seam is crazy annoying. Maybe if you tried making the 'series of planes' wider than what they are supposed to be, and alpha'ed out the correct thickness.(kinda like a 'T' plane) Not sure if that would work but it might reduce that seam enough.
    -Phil
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    wow looks awesome, really nice colors and oozes with style! cant wait to see where you bring it next.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a breakdown would be fantastic :) thank you very much!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    hey guys! 1st of all, saferDan, here is teh breakdown! Sorry it took so long, i just been kinda busy with things.

Basicly, all it is is using alpha planes to cover the objects, and using extra planes to add thickness. I included my diffuse sheet and im also attaching my maps to this so u can get a better idea of what the alphas are doing.

coffee-grinder__014.jpg

coffee-grinder__013.jpg

Let me know if you have questions.

Also, here is my next prop im making.

ref2_small.jpg

ref1_small.jpg

and here is some progress. ive spent most of my time blocking this out and making the little hardware parts. Not too happy with some things, but here it goes!

chainsaw__003.jpg

chainsaw__002.jpg

chainsaw__001.jpg
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    oooooh, puuurdy! the breakdown is nice. I still say thicken the inner planes and alpha those out.(to ensure mip padding to avoid a seam) not sure if that will work. Just a guess. That old-timey chainsaw is a great idea! Kinda reminds me of RAGE! And a start on a greeble library! nice!
    -Phil
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    thanx phil! i still wanna get rid of that seam. I just havent had a time to do it. I think also what it is is that i didnt fix the alpha on it. I want to get to the bottom of this since its a great trick!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking sick man! great job considering you only have 2 ref images to go off of!
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i see! that took me ages to figure out what you had done!

i was sitting here for like 5 mintues just going "......huh?!"

but i see what you did there and its epic!

Thank you very much for taking the time to break it down! Its genuis!

and that chainsaw is looking epic!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Some fantastic work here raul, love the quality of texturing you are nailing, really inspirational!
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demilich polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome job on the wheel breakdown Raul.
    The chainsaw is looking impressive and thanks for sharing the alpha plane tip.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    jonathan - thanx dude! note to self - get more reference and shut down netflix!! lol
    Saferdan - thanx! The one thing i would say about the alphas is that use them wisely. and keep in mind that most newer next gen games dont fully support them. So dont think u can get away with that.
    JasonLavoie - whoa! thanx dude! :) Im a huge fan of yours!!!!!
    Demilich - no problem! Tho, I may sound like a broken record here. But i cant fully take credit for the alpha trick. That was shown to me by sparks.

Moving on, so i did work on this chainsaw. not fully done. There are some minor tweaks that i just noticed that i need to address.

Here is it.

chainsaw__006.jpg

chainsaw__005.jpg

chainsaw__007.jpg

Working on this thing was a lot of fun, as i finally feel super confident that ican make any darn shape! lol.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking awesome man!!! LOW POLY!! NOW! :)
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    That is significantly badass. Are you doing high to low poly in Modo? Just curious if they have like, retopology tools. Anyway, keep it up!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    jonathan - yeah...let me press my "instant badass lp" button. lol
    chemical Alla - im doing all my modeling in softimage. trying to pick up modo...
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    raul wrote: »
    jonathan - yeah...let me press my "instant badass lp" button. lol

the button actually exists!!?!? :P lol

nice job on the hp. looking forward to more. :D
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Thats pretty sweet man! the lp should be worth looking at :D
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Here is my 1st try at the lp. the shader doesnt exactly like alphas it seems. and im having hell making the alphas work. im thinking im just gonna model the stuff that is using the alphas.

At the same time i forgot that a lot of these things would need to be double sided like the handle bar that goes around the machine. The model is currently standing at 4500 tris.

Other things i noticed while casting were, some objects came out looking "flatter" like the 2 screws at the end of the machine by the starting handle ( behind the gas tank ) one screw look good, bu the other one looks like its barely there. wtf?

chainsaw__008.jpg

In another note. Quakecon was awesome!! :) I was pretty inspired and motivated after it. So i just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone in polycount for making such an awesome forum. And pushing peeps forward to do better and crazier!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice. but you should make the blades a separate model, so that you can animate the uvs.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet dude! i would agree with Pedro on the blades, that would be tight.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    pedro - thanx! for now i think im gonna focus on finishing this piece for my folio, but ive been talking to a few people about how to approach this for animation. Everyone is saying to go next gen and get the blades in there. So we will see...lol. I would like to see this in a game engine tho. As an actual weapon.

Jonathan - thanx.

started out on my initial washes. kinda trying to figure out where things would be at.
    chainsaw__009.jpg
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Raul,
    Your work is stellar! Really great stuff to look at.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meh...... lol, just kidding man. looking good! for sure need more rust on the the part the blades go around. and the spec will really make this pop! looking forward to seeing more! Keep it up!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also wish there was some duck tape going around the handle area in the ref as a padder. I think that would really add to it.... could always add to it too though. :)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    hmm...duck tape...hmm...:)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Here is a second pass at the textures. This time i worked on the little details. Tried doing it all by hand ( little image basing ). So now i think i will move on the 3rd pass and finish the diffuse.I also made a quick spec and normal. At this point, im only showing the diffuse. Also now, that im looking at it, i gotta adjust some of the colors and alphas.

Between other things, i tried out the new marmoset to render this. I like the changes a lot! :) My only complaint is that it slows down my computer so i had to close it and open max to preview my texture ( with the 3dppint shader of course ) Does anyone know what could be causing the slow down?

chainsaw__010.jpg

chainsaw__011.jpg
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Raul, you're a real inspiration man! Great work!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nice, I was about to say the handle looks to flimsy, but it looks a lot better in this update. I really dig the texture sheet.

Stylized awesomeness. *saves to inspiration folder*
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HEY!! thats a nice looking graphic you made for photobucket! OH WAIT! the link is dead... lol
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH THERE THEY ARE!! NICE MAN!! looking sick!!! now i want to see that bad boy chop up some ZOMBIES!!! :D
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    amazing texturing work! i have sooo much trouble painting realistic rust.
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amazing stuff buddy! this is top quality.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    thank you guys!

Well, i was sick as a dog this weekend. Texturing while nyquil kicks in is a bitch! lol. Here is my weekend update.

chainsaw__012.jpg

I worked in the spec a bit, but now that im looking at this, i dont think is looking too good.

Also, i saw spacemonkey's badass sculpts and renders, and thougth i would look into rendering like that. I donwloaded imrod, and played with that to get a semi realistic render. Check it out!

For those who dont know, imrod was the winning entry for one of the dom wars. IT IS NOT MY PIECE! So...just in case i didnt make it clear enough. THIS IS NOT MY WORK. All i did is spend sometime figuring out the render settings.

render_004.jpg

And i think for my next piece i will be modeling this guy

tractor.jpg
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    That's a damn fine chainsaw sir. I do think the streaking or darker metal grain on the blade is too dark or just too large. If you made the grain finer I think it would look a lot better, imo. Or maybe you could just make the spec a bit more mottled and uneven on the blade.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that is ONE EPIC chain saw my friend. looking forward to the next piece!!
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that next piece will be a treat to follow, your art is really nice :)
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Just a small advice: if you want to get rid of the read areas in your texture (ray miss color) you could change the color in the render settings of the texture baker.
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet chainsaw, I expect an even sweeter tractor! :D
  • rapheal9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yo kambli,
    whats the software you've used?.. the output seems nice
  • pixelato7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelato7 polycounter lvl 14
    Some really neat stuff u have there raul, looking forward to this tractor of yours now. . . cheers !!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    dtschultz- thank you! i followed your suggestions and i liked what it gave me. Then i threw in my own flare.
    pixelato7, Ihazard Zelenkov, jonathanF - this tractor is so complex its so hard to keep up! lol. Thanx!
    rapheal9 - i personally think that is the artist making the badass art not the software. Software is just a tool, and millions of different ways to get the same results using different things. So in the end, you should really use what you know and feel comfortable with.

For the most part i use xsi, exclusively for my high poly work. I started using max for uving and to preview my textures with the super cool shader from 3point studios. And of course photoshop for textures. Xnormal and Nvidia plugins to generate maps.

Its been a weird past couple of weeks. Decided to take a break and start work on my online folio site. Here are the final sheets for the chainsaw.

chainsaw__lowTextured_big.jpg

chainsaw__high.jpg

chainsaw__lowWires_big.jpg

chainsaw__textures.jpg

After a few weeks of not looking at the textures they feel a bit surreal to me. I may adjust them to tone that a little. Any suggestions are welcome! :)

Nothing worth showing on the tractor, been kinda doing other things lately :P Hopefully get to post during the weekend!
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Nice, man! That looks much better.