Home Stickies

So what are you working on?

Replies

• seantree
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    Sonic Boom!
    gillyod2.jpg
    still needs work but kinda happy with it atm.
    and a 20 min speed sculpt of Oro
    oro2mu0.jpg
    hope you guys don't mind these bein thrown up here.
  • Chai
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    worked on this a bit, still playing around ...

ts_blade_01_05.jpg
  • Noisybast
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    Easing into 2008 with some 2D environment textures.
    First up, it's a knackered-up metal sign for a (sort of) well-known fast food joint, post-apocalypse style.

pizza.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the rusty bits at the bottom, but the grime at the top doesn't look right. Looks more like wrinkled paper than filthy, weather-beaten painted metal.
    Any suggestions for improving this?
  • DanConroy
    Offline / Send Message
    DanConroy polycounter lvl 18
    Ah Noisey a fellow scouser, thought I was the only one here.

Anyway, the sign could use more dirt etc in the open white'ish areas for a start. Add a few scratches and alike, might help give you a better look for the dirt at the top.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I agree about the paper look... The rust looks good, but I'm not sure why it would rust on bottom, but not on top. Also, fade out and abuse the text some. It looks to pristine for that much damage.
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    caseyjones: thanks man! your right about the brush strokes, it's not really that i don't know how to smooth them out, it's just that i didn't do it because i wanted to get the overall texture first (this one was done in 2 hours, and after that i didn't feel like working on it anymore :P)
    for blending i use hard brushes with dynamic opacity, then if i want to blend something i select the color that is somewhere in between and draw something with that, then between the new colours etc.. i don't really like the smudge tool 'cause it has screwed up a lot of texture work for me in the past.

nice sword chai!
    ferg: thanks a lot! i'll work on that soon!
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    my sorry excuse of an attempt at the whole 3d workflow.

http://dreamers-ink.ca/gallery/albums/3d/fullrigtest/feliciawalk.avi

Waiting for free time so I can fix the shoulders... and it's totally for fun at this point so before anyone gets too serious with their comments. Constructive comments still very welcome tho wink.gif
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Still messing around with les renders
    couplerender2.png
  • Rens
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Hehe Hawken you couldn't resist putting the little mac sliders in the screenshot huh? :P

Great characters nonetheless, love the old school scuba guy. The air tubes might need more groove tho...
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Holy fuck pior, I almost had to look twice due to thinkin you sculpted a real one :P
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    The textures still need a ton of work, but:
    2198321844_8852339f26_o.jpg
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    pior: looks nice.. I'd do something about the shadows though, maybe more samples? You could always just render out a shadow pass seperately and blur/smudge out the shadows in photoshop/compositing package.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Yeah Slum it's quite grainy in there. I am not familiar with these advanced render settings at all - I simply used the numbers provided in the StitchMan2008 thread :P I guess grainy shadows make the render much faster... I don't know if trading this with speed is worth it really. But yeah I could very well go in and tweak this by hand. I actually did something similar in some places of this render, adding some slight hue shift to make it look less CGish!
  • Inpw
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    I hope this one is better. I spend too much time for her face and think to stop here. However any advice will be useful for me for the future works.

inpwwip10xz4.jpg
  • Inpw
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    pior. Great composition and render!
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that face does look a bit better inpw, although I dont know the character. Love those vray settings from stitch guy Pior. I gotta try that some time!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    chai- the normal map on your swords blade edge makes it look like a toy its blunt like a plastic sword. id paint the edge by hand and add a scratched normal. also brighten up the spec and col on thedge to sell it.
    other than the edge its nice
  • Chai
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    chai- the normal map on your swords blade edge makes it look like a toy its blunt like a plastic sword. id paint the edge by hand and add a scratched normal. also brighten up the spec and col on thedge to sell it.
    other than the edge its nice

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks SHEPEIRO ! will definetly use these crits for the next blade smile.gif

I didn't understand what you meant by the scratches on the sharp edge though, could you please elaborate on those ?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    just a few sctratches and nicks, the rest of the blade looks slightly battered while the buisness end is clean. it would have been even more worn then sharpened back up again so it needs to reflect that process. also darken the corners of the indent as these wouldnt get as clean and will add pop
  • Chai
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome SHEPEIRO, that makes a lot of sense, thanks again smile.gif
  • Tully
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Soccarman18: Other than those ones, no smile.gif I'm lazy...
    Sa7en: Why yes, Henning, I am planning on painting him! smile.gif Glad you like.
    Madman: Painting, yes. I might ask later if MoP would make some nicer lit photos of him so I can show them off appropriately in my portfolio. He's the one with the tripod and nice camera, ya see. I've always been rubbish at photography!
    Darksun: Thanks! It can certainly be tough to actually finish stuff. For me it's lucky enough that I have absolutely no room to leave unfinished artwork lying around for long periods of time, I have to finish things or end up with crap everywhere smile.gif
    Ultra: Thanks!
    AdamLewis: Thanks, and yep, it was nowhere near done at that point. It's way more finished in these next ones I think you'd agree smile.gif

Sculpting's done and painting's begun (rhyming!)
    demon_sculpt_02a.jpg
    demon_sculpt_02b.jpg
    demon_sculpt_02c.jpg

3rd one is with about 45 minutes more work done on it than the other two. Half the teeth are glued in, bit more painting.

Hawkin: I love that 4th guy smile.gif
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    you have got to be Fucking Kidding Me. Tully that is awesome... so good that it fills me with the desire to do some maquette sculpting for myself. Awesome work man, tons of detail, and it's got a badass attitude. Everything from the overlayed muscles and tendons to the rocky pedestal look great. Well done.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, colour really makes it,
    which app did you bake it in......... crap that sounded so funny in my head
  • NeoShroomish
    t61350_spinny2.gif

click to view spinny .gif
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Tully: I love the color, of course the model itself is great, but the paint is really breathing life into it. Better post some high res pics somewhere when it's done!
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    tully: schweeet!
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Tully that's cool!! I reckon you paint in very thin layers, one after the other? I am quite curious about the material contrast between the black, shiny part on top as opposed to the dryer looking red hands, it looks great. Is this intentional? If so I wonder how you got these two different material properties out of the same paint. Maybe the hands are painted in a thicker manner, hence the original plastic shows more through the black parts?

Also I have a suggestion about the pose - even if it's way too late now :P I would love to see it's hands clenched and resting on the floor gorilla-like, like if it was just about to leave it's base to run around the place!
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    that looks awesome Tully

couldn't do anything the past few days, so tonight I loaded my base male head in mud and did this, 'bout 2 hours of work

headsculpt2h.jpg

still some work on it, neck and ears are untouched.
  • Soccerman18
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Wow Tully, that is some awsome work there.
  • tokidokizenzen
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    Beautiful beautiful sculpt Tully. Can't wait to see more paint.
  • Asmuel
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    For gods sake Tully, you don't do much for a guys ego. Looks bloody brilliant, now stop before the rest of us leave the industry tongue.gif
  • Chai
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    This is like a hightech vibroblade, can also open beer cans and polish nails.

ts_blade_02_03.jpg
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    @ Neox
    Great colors
    here is something about CelShadeing in UE3: http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3mated3.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

yep i read it and already built the cellshader and understand it, kind of xD
    however, i have to change the method from an if-node to something different, because the if-node is just, if-then now inbetweens, so only hard shading, but i want it to be soft.
    I really don't know how to create a Gradient that goes from light to shadow. i played around with the light vector and stuff, but i don't seam to find a way how to ramp the shading, been trying for like 3 nights to get to a point but i didn't get there.

I also searched for more information about materials but it seems that only hourences site has good informations about that.

@vahl: nice head,. but you should give the lips a bit more form, right now they are a little too straight i guess
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    @ Tully
    That looks alive! ...Would be hard for him to hold his balance in that pose. wink.gif

@ SEKNeox
    I have no idea how that celshader works but im not into that UE3 Material system anyway. I really would like to see a screen of that celshader applied to your model.
  • Tully
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Ferg: That's a funny thing I've noticed about decent maquettes: they have the weird ability to make other people want to make their own maquettes. I'm a victim of Smellybug, you can be a victim of ME. Spread like zombies, we do wink.gif

Pior: Good idea for the pose! He has turned out fairly gorilla-y. I have to say I didn't put a whole lot of thought into his pose--mostly because I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted him to be. There are pros and cons to this method, obviously, but I think it's the funnest one laugh.gif

That is the way I'm going about painting it. Started with the nice gray base coat. The look you're describing actually isn't intentional at this point, but a bi-product of the paint quality (it ain't the best). Though I'm glad you like it! The hands have very little work done on them and the red (which is mixed with white and a little bit of blue--and has lost a lot of its vibrancy because of the poor pigment quality) is drybrushed on more opaquely over grey (rather than glazed over white, which is the case with some of the rest of the colour and leads to a brighter result), which has led to the thicker look.

Though I'm planning on keeping them mostly the same with a bit of a brighter red, sharp detail and veiny translucency. After the colour part is done, I've got some gloss varnish that will shiny up some areas. I've got a bit on the eyes, but there will be even more inside the mouth and stuff. It's pretty much as simple as that though

Hobodactyl: Will do! I'm considering a base for him at the moment (though I'm not convinced he needs it

Shepeiro, Rooster, Soccerman18, Vahl, tokidokizenzen, Davision3D: Thanks, glad you guys like it smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    vahl - thats looking good. Are the eyes a bit small though?
    something slighty bugs me about them , but great face structure anyway.
  • animatr
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    Tully:
    you have any pointers? or tutorials you looked at? what materials/tools used. all that stuff? ive been thinking about sculpting for a while, just not sure where to start. thanks!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    boy_toon_01.jpg

no specular, rim and other stuff applied, just the cellshader to play around with the shading
  • ander
    Offline / Send Message
    ander polycounter lvl 17
    Untitled-3.jpg

Building a spaceship for my 12th grade art class final project, I will probably present it in my art exam as well. Lots of work to be done.
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Tully: You start realizing spending the extra couple of bucks on good paints is definitely worth it when you're spending so much time on a piece, makes working with them so much easier. Of course it still looks fantastic, it's really mostly for your own benefit wink.gif
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    goddamnit I'm going home and crying in my corner... that is too kick ass tully.
  • aevirex
    [ QUOTE ]
    boy_toon_01.jpg

no specular, rim and other stuff applied, just the cellshader to play around with the shading

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks cool! Btw, I did the cel shading technique on Hourences' website the first day I messed with UE3. ;D

Too bad I have no PC that could handle it atm, so I just guess... You could make a dot product of light vector and normal (should give you the gradiant) and power it up (should/could make the shadowing look more dramatic) or something. I'll give it a go when I get my new PC. smile.gif
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    I RAMPED THE FUCKING SHADER!!!
    http://polyphobia.de/nonpublic/airborn/boy_toon_02.jpg
    yay

3 days of searching and testing and some times i was almost there but made some mistakes, but now the base works laugh.gif
    ok now i can start working on the other parts.

hey aevirex thanks for posting laugh.gif
    yes i found out that it was your technique, but your site is dead and i so muched hoped to learn more about the material editor, i'm very new to this node based stuff, and don't know shit about math, so i had to do it the good old trial and error way smile.gif
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    SEK: Sweet. I like the Soft Ramp version most.
  • aevirex
    Soft ramp is sweet! How did you do it now? Did you try Transmission yet?

Yeah... I paid so much for the webspace and domain yet I don't use it. But something is in the works. smile.gif
    Also I plan to write a few tutorials/make a material library or something as soon as I have a new PC. Hopefully that will happen quite soon.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Ok sag bescheid wenn die Seite steht, den shader kannst dann haben wenn du magst wink.gif

Erm right now i only did it with the diffuse channel.
    I used a dotproduct out of a lightvector and the normal (but i kinda prefer a plain blue 3vector in some cases, so i have to take a look if i could wash out the details of my normal a bit to make it smoother) as texture coordinates for a 1d texture (256x1 pixels wide) with a ramped gradient on it.

Next step will be the add of a cubemap to the ramped shading, is there actually a way to get the cube map out of the level or do i hav to create a generic one? For the test i'll use a generic one representing the colors of the world, reddisch ground, greenish surrounding and blueish sky, very blurry stuff i guess.
    and then i'll go for rim and specular and maybe even reflection for the metal parts.

@uly: yeah i prefer the soft ramp too, but i guess i'll have to tweak the ramp anyways when i have an environment to play around with.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Den shader könnt ich auch gut gebrauchen wink.gif
    The Soft ramp is looking very good, allready reminds of the TF2 Shader. smile.gif A cubemap is a cool idea for that.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    still a lot of stuff to tweak but its the first version.
    i think i could add a even harder edge deeper in the shadows. Spec and Reflection still missing

boy_ut4.jpg

and a shot without the ramp, for comparison
    http://polyphobia.de/nonpublic/airborn/boy_ut4a.jpg
This discussion has been closed.