Home Stickies

So what are you working on?

Replies

• Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    I'm making a 2D shooter with Torque Game Builder. It's for a shoot-em-up programming competition.

progress_01.jpg

DroneSwarm_Aircraft.png

It's still a work in progress, there's a couple of months left before the contest ends, and I'll probably continue working on the game after the contest.

Early video demonstrating the control scheme:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHGrE4sJW3o
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    still working (a bit) on this fellah. He's maybe too old now... mmh

monkey_02_2.jpg
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm making a 2D shooter with Torque Game Builder. It's for a shoot-em-up programming competition.

progress_01.jpg

DroneSwarm_Aircraft.png

It's still a work in progress, there's a couple of months left before the contest ends, and I'll probably continue working on the game after the contest.

Early video demonstrating the control scheme:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHGrE4sJW3o

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the hell out of 2d shooters, and this looks really nice so far. Keep it up!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Tacit, thats awesome.

I'd do her in an instant.
  • BoilingOil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoilingOil polycounter lvl 16
    Nice beard!

Is there anything you guys can point out in my joints that would be a problem when rigging or mapping?
    rex-1.jpg
    rex-2.jpg
    rex-3.jpg
    rex-4.jpg
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tacit, thats awesome.

I'd do her in an instant.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT! I'd even take sloppy seconds.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10

Tactic - Love her!

Tinman - Cool start. Hoping to see more of your mechanical hard surface madness.

Conor - Great start. I have done a few shooters in TGB as well.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Renaud, looks awesome man. Love the hardish edges.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    are you using reference for that? I want to see where those mouth corners are coming from. They almost look like sutured flesh.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I think i went a bit too crazy with the droopiness of the flesh around the mouth .. i'll have to tone it down towards the final ... it's all a wip
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    It's not the level of droopiness, it's the anatomy/shapes. I tried to explain it in an earlier post, but you really ought to get some reference. Lips themselves are looking slightly improved.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    ironbear: yes! gogogo
    tacit math: That hair wins. Was she sculpting friendly, or did you have to fix her up some?

Fuse: Probably got a bit carried away with this, but...

fuse_po.jpg

- I think the chin/bottom lip is throwing the whole thing off. There's a vertical indent which shouldn't really be there.
    -The eyes don't look like they have the tear duct bit on them. Be sure to add that.
    -The nostrils are connecting directly into the face. They should curl in giving a slight lip at the bottom.
    -The crease that runs from the nose down to the lips starts above the nostrils, not below.

I lost that sourpuss look you had going, but I hope that was somewhat useful.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Was she sculpting friendly, or did you have to fix her up some?

[/ QUOTE ]

had to tweak most of the tri's out. and add that geo for the do. but i was digging the form you had in the low and had to give it a play. thanks for posting that up. i'll pimp your name wherever she goes

:

natureBaby_01.jpg

natureBaby_02.jpg
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Kicking ass with that game there Conor, watched the video and its looking sweet.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ironbear: yes! gogogo
    tacit math: That hair wins. Was she sculpting friendly, or did you have to fix her up some?

Fuse: Probably got a bit carried away with this, but...

fuse_po.jpg

- I think the chin/bottom lip is throwing the whole thing off. There's a vertical indent which shouldn't really be there.
    -The eyes don't look like they have the tear duct bit on them. Be sure to add that.
    -The nostrils are connecting directly into the face. They should curl in giving a slight lip at the bottom.
    -The crease that runs from the nose down to the lips starts above the nostrils, not below.

I lost that sourpuss look you had going, but I hope that was somewhat useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe neat spacey.. thanks a lot smile.gif
  • BoilingOil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoilingOil polycounter lvl 16
    UVW Unwrap attempt. This took like an hour.
    I can't figure out how to get the squares to appear on the model though.
    rex-5.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    great sculpt over the sdk tacit, but the face seems unremarkable compared to the rest of her

BoilingOil: There's a little checkered cube button in the max material editor right below the area with all the material spheres, click on it while you have your texture selected and it will make the texture display in the viewport on your model.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    tacit: lookin sick, keep up the good work. The character has so much personality. I wish i had as much creativity as you do.

Fuse: lookin real good dude, the lip looks a whole lot better than it did before. Take a look at your upper eye, brow, nose, and ear. I need to work on my proportions as well, but get that down pat and the sculpt will really shine.

Oil: looks good, keep it up
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys

Ferg : i'm gonna keep her face quite quiet looking. but i agree. needs some love

Spug : much of the credit has to go to Spacey. it's really just that slinky form he started that i'm developing off

something with a bit more meat :

minoto_spins.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    ehhhh....ahhh damnit...(gets up from computer and changes pants.)
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    tacit math : awesome work man i love it. it almost makes me wish i was a character artist.

Heres something I have been working on all day this and an art test but I cant show the art test so ill show you this instead still needs a lot of work need to add more detail to the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/armanguy/podcarwip.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just a little play about,

Not quite low poly but hey!

run2pq4.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

very nice!

you need to fine tune the walk cycle a bit more though. It has a feeling of weight but the legs linger a bit too long on the return cycle, they should pickup and thrust more to support the weight. Also, rotating the feet more wouldn't hurt.

Walk cycles always look better when they are slightly exaggerated.

Feels a little confined like a guy walking whilst crouched down.

out of interest, how are you rendering this out? (illustrate or some other such magic?)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    If you check out Rob's website, it looks like a 3d model that's just textured in his kick-ass style smile.gif

Nice work, Rob
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movento polycounter lvl 17
    Those who remember the head of this model won't believe i'm still working on this,but yes,i am shocked.gif.
    marceljumpmt6.jpg
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    that's an awesome Ken Cyi! First thing I thought of when I saw it was Bourgeot's Ryu. rawk.
  • Mil0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coulda rendered out a better image here, but oh well.
    mil0completerender.jpg
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    hawken - Yeah after i rendered it i saw some errors in the cycle, i might come back to it when i have some time.
    Oh its simple fullbright, But for the outline i did that duplicate geometry trick when you group extrude a second model over it and cull the faces facing the camera leaving an outline.

Vassago - Thanks man.

I have a little devtest of the mecha here if anyone is interested.

Arrow keys for movement, up for jump, down for crouch and space for shoot.(pc only)

http://blujarr.com/e-walkbot.exe
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    Damn! Rob are you planning on making 2D side scroller game with this stuff cause that would be so friggin badass!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ah nice robg. i see you're using gamemaker. Is that rendered out to sprites, or can GM actually load models now? (it had primitive doom-like 3d last time i used it, but couldn't load actual models. only sprites)
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    DeathByChris - Yeah intend on making a game, but i think what i have so far is just a test for me, when come to make it for real it will be far better planned out. I'm just testing how things will look.

Slum - GM can load .obj models and such but my coding abilities lack, so these are just sprites.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Rockin' guy there tactic. seems like you're having fun playing with those proportions. Give us a still shot though, hard to pick out detail in that 360 gif.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still noodlin' some tweaks

:

mino_wip_01.jpg

mino_wip_02.jpg

mino_wip_03.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looks awesome tacit !
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Hell! What happened there! There are lot of good works on this last days O_o? This is summer effect? you make me crazy >__<!!

Actually no lot of time out compagny, I can only do little things T_T.
    sama.van_DirtyConscience_Tutorial_Town1_BasicResidence_A.gif
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished two locker models for OverDose, misc map detail. Ones a simple model, the other open for rarer, but finer detail. And yeah, it even has alpha tested coat hangers in there lol:

locker_model2.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hell! What happened there! There are lot of good works on this last days O_o? This is summer effect? you make me crazy >__<!!

Actually no lot of time out compagny, I can only do little things T_T.
    sama.van_DirtyConscience_Tutorial_Town1_BasicResidence_A.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

midway though the animation here looks a bit like flashback (amiga title by delphine software)

man it would be so great if someone remade that game in 2.5d
  • Wetterschneider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wetterschneider polycounter lvl 18
    Showed at SDCC. It went really well.
    951974715_f4c15c4bcd.jpg

980610280_4bdfa947ca.jpg

That bad boy is 14 inches tall.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    wait... that badboy is yours?!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    951974715_f4c15c4bcd.jpg

980610280_4bdfa947ca.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

ANY, any insider info on how that went from a modelling program into a model, is welcomed cool.gif
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    951974715_f4c15c4bcd.jpg

980610280_4bdfa947ca.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

ANY, any insider info on how that went from a modelling program into a model, is welcomed cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconding this - I'm actually looking into various 3d printing methods right now because I want to make a custom transformer for myself. Was he a one-off or did you have molds made for mass production?
  • Wetterschneider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I modeled it in Max using Powernurbs. Ashley got emails every once in a while to make suggestions, and I could easily work his tweaks into the geometry. The factory used the nurbs data to output 3 prototypes, all collections of those small bits in the screengrab. They assembled the prototypes and Ashley handpainted one of them. One of the other unpainted protos can be seen in the photo.

While that might look like reasonable engineering, it isn't. It works for the prototypes but the factory is going to have to make a few changes for the final production version. Once those changes are made, though, the full blown consumer production can start.

On the second shelf in the show photo, there are more models. The Gary Taxali figure is also done in Powernurbs, but the Nathat Jurivicius monsters for MTV were sculpted in Maya.

All the models were output using the same printing tech. As long as the modeled elements are solid closed chunks, the printer has no problem with them. They need to be tesselated very finely, and the polycount is often in the millions.

But usually the base models are the same old meshsmoothed sub-d box modeled geometry that everyone is familier with. If you want to get a cheap estimation for a one-off try www.3darttopart.com
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    oh MAN! big ashley wood fan, so it was cool when he showed part of the 3d model on his blog i was rather piqued... low and behold, the model in question was produced by a polycounter i've met smile.gif very nice work wetter, definitely a piece to be proud of. i don't even want to think about how hard it would be to get my hands on one of those bots--and more to the point, if i got one, i'd probably have to get them all. these collectibles are an all or nothing proposition, of course, so i think i'll stick to ash's artbooks smile.gif

edit: and where the hell is your own thread for this piece? it's a bit more involved than just an incidental post in the "what are you working on" thread, don't you think? wink.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Messing with procedural shaders in Max.

shot1.jpg
    close_skin.jpg
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Tacit...that is so bad ass!

And Wetterschneider, that Robot is so damn cool looking. I want one! But if it's one of those "designer toys" than it is probably way too expensive, haha.

now, here's a cut-off saw for a zombie mod, haha.

saw.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Wetterschneider - what company did you guys use to prototype him up?
  • Wetterschneider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs - we have a couple of factories that we work with, they are very skilled and they do the output on-site. However they do not do one-offs, they only output protos for actual production projects that we have in the pipeline i.e. Taxali, MTV, Pipebot.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    ah, sad christmas.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    951974715_f4c15c4bcd.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
    Instantly recognized the Ashley Wood piece. Fucking boss.
This discussion has been closed.