Home Stickies

So what are you working on?

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah 2048x2048 for the entire thing. The clip takes up part of it.
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's still a lot though, depending on your resolution. 4x1024? Have you deleted backfaces? Because I've seen models with internals mapped on less than that.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Its really not a lot these days. I've seen people use 4096x4096 res textures for a HEAD alone.

I think something that tales up half the screen in a high resolution is worth this res.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Its really not a lot these days. I've seen people use 4096x4096 res textures for a HEAD alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who?
    A lot of graphics cards on the market at the moment (I think mainly ATI, but I might be wrong) can't even load 4096x4096 textures into memory.

Also bear in mind that if a head texture alone is using 4096x4096 pixels, if you viewed that at native resolution of 2560 x 1600 on a 30" widescreen monitor, the head would have to fill up the entire screen before you'd even see that detail. Nobody runs games in 2560x1600, and even if they did, they don't fill the screen with a single face.

4096x4096 for a head is a waste of time. Maybe if you're rendering it for a pre-rendered video with lots of close-ups it'd be worth it, but for a game at current and future specs - no need.

The UT2k4 head textures were 1024x1024 each, and that was a little excessive. They'd have to be filling the whole screen at 1024x768 resolution, or roughly half the screen at 1600x1200 before you'd see all the detail, and that NEVER happens, especially in a game like UT.

That said, I don't think 2048x2048 for a single first-person weapon model is over the top for a current-gen PC FPS game. I just don't think it helps at all trying to justify it by saying "well this other guy I saw used HUGE textures!". That's not a good reason at all.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I never said that was my reason, at all. I said I dont feel 2048x2048 is a bad res at all for a weapon onscreen. Seems your just being picky once again.

As for the 4096x4096, I suggest you download some of FAKEFACTORY's HL2 HD textures.

For example:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8485/ep1c17050018yy5.jpg

As for cards that can load 4096x4096, last time I checked cards have been fine doing that res for quite a while now. Its more of an engine limitation these days. My last three nVidia cards have been perfectly fine loading that res.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    wow, thats a 4096?

i've seen better on much less

i'm not a big fan of the 'bigger is better' movement. seems people should learn to use every pixel before going up to the next size. ah well. back to my no-normal-mapping.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    spydrone, just something i have been working on
    update-1.jpg
    dronecolor02.jpg
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    yeah....what is up w/that HL 2 dude. look at the ear!! that's a 4096? maybe it's just a horrible map job. s'like the dude just took a forehead photo and slapped it on there. sorry....guess that's not really addressing the point.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Odium: I'd also like to raise the point that a 4096x4096 texture, DXT1 compressed (which is good compression) is still 10.9mb of texture memory.

So, uh, if you have, say, 2 characters with a 4096 for a head each, and another 4096 for the body each, that's 44mb of texture memory for two characters' diffuse maps alone.

If you wanted normal maps for those too, you're looking at 22mb per 4096 DXT5 local map. Specular? Let's say you do it half-resolution DXT1 because it's not as important. Another 2.8mb per sheet.

Right, so a single character made in this fashion, one map for head, one map for body, with diffuse, bump and spec (fairly standard map types these days), would come to approximately 70mb of texture memory. Two unique characters, that's 140mb texture memory. Where are all your environment textures? Your weapon textures? Effects? Skyboxes? Are they all 4096x4096 too?

Hopefully you will see that such high resolutions are not only unnecessary, but foolish. You could not possibly hope to make a full game on current hardware using those specs - you'd just run out of memory all the time, everything would slow down and break.

So yeah, I'm not actually being "picky" as you said, I'm being reasonable and sensible. Your post shows how little you understand about the reality of making games.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ya know, if instead of some of you bitching about everything thats not what you like, and you actualy gave serious thought into your posts, this place wouldn't be a bad place. Thats not even about the image I posted either, thats just the general attitude I get from here.

A Work in progress thread, to me at least, says "Hey, take a look at what i'm doing. Its not finished yet and your not seeing it all, but I'll show you for feedback!"
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Mop, please point out where I said a 4096x4096 texture for a head is a good idea.

I'll be waiting for your apology for being a big headed git in the mean time.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    My comments regarding texture size were more with respect to the magazine alone taking such a large amount of space.. But it's your model, do what you wish..

You know, regarding view models receiving so much texture resolution, i find that often times such sharpness on the view model relative to the characters/environment really stands out.. I suppose i am talking about texel density here (correct me if i'm wrong). I think a model with a well defined shape goes a long way with a moderate texture resolution. Fluid animations also help make an immersive experience.

Anyway odium i think you should just relax, you're at threat level omega already, people arent out here to get on your case.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    uh oh....it's time for some gaf-style popcorn.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    *pops one into the microwave
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    *pops in franky goes to hollywood, skips to RELAX
  • buddy the designer
    FakeFactory does really eh poor job on these "HIRES WTF OMG FTW" textures since they're enlarging originals and stamping some details from other photos...

Odium have never said that he thinks 4096x4096 is ok for a head, he only said that 2048 for a weapon might be ok in some cases and that's not that big problem since he saw ppl use 4096 for head alone.

And to be honest 4096 map for a head is only used in Movies/Cinematics these days, one cg character I remember (forgot the movie's name) was 16000x16000 pixels with head propably taking something around 4k.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    In odium's defense, he didn't actually say a 4096 was a good idea, he just used that outlandish size as justification for using higher res textures of his own. Kind of like "who cares what i did, look what HE did"

But, that doesn't mean he's any less of a prick.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks, erm, I guess. Cock nose.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    rawkstar, what do you mean by fallout sculpt?
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it'll be funny if this thread has to be blocked cuz of a fight. so i'll steer it back on topic:
    Untitled-1-1.jpg
    C&C welcome laugh.gif.

PS:im actually working on something, link in my sig. no, a sphere isn't my idea of art.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good indian_boy. You might want to work on your smoothing groups though. Otherwise, texture is spot on. crazy.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think you've smoothed your box too much.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah that box could easily be 6 quads instead of the 60 zillion you have there. Optimise, man! smile.gif
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    that topology isn't really working for me mate smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my only reaction to all of odiums "points" (since almost all of them have sort of negative comment aimed at this forum), is:

if you don't like it here, you know how to close your explorer.

Indian Boy, nice sphere, looks very good, and i can see what you're trying to go for. have you tried modeling a teapot yet? i've been stuck on that for years frown.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    it'll be funny if this thread has to be blocked cuz of a fight. so i'll steer it back on topic:
    Untitled-1-1.jpg
    C&C welcome laugh.gif.

PS:im actually working on something, link in my sig. no, a sphere isn't my idea of art.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sucks, worst gameart i've ever seen. Look at all those triangles! How are you going to make 5 million poly zbrush mesh with this? Here, this is how its done.

quadball.jpg
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, okay i don't know what's funnier...
    so help me out here:
    "what is funier" option
    a)that i actually did this:
    Untitled-1-2.jpg
    or
    b) that post has developed more 'crits and comments' within a few minutes than all my posts in polycount have ever done, on average, put together?

i think 'a)' is funnier...

oh, and i tried optimising it, is it better now? damn this is hard. im thinking of giving up and becoming a plumber instead. anybody know any plumbing universities in toronto?
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    lol, okay i don't know what's funnier...
    so help me out here:
    "what is funier" option
    a)that i actually did this:
    Untitled-1-2.jpg
    or
    b) that post has developed more 'crits and comments' within a few minutes than all my posts in polycount have ever done, on average, put together?

i think 'a)' is funnier...

oh, and i tried optimising it, is it better now? damn this is hard. im thinking of giving up and becoming a plumber instead. anybody know any plumbing universities in toronto?

[/ QUOTE ]
    personally i liked your old model better topology wise, right now it seems that the very ends of your new model have a lot of triangle fanning, which could result in an akward uv map, try to make you model more close to the one above your post.

Edit: also, i vote B!
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    EQ...can you post your basemesh? i'd really like to use it.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    update on the model

rendercopydm6.jpg
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    One of my first experiments with high-poly modeling. And normal-map generation. The first series of images is of the sculpting progression. The last three are different views of the low-poly version that the normal map gets pasted over.

guyshow.gif
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Lil Devil concept by Jordu Schell.

Last one down:
    http://www.schellstudio.com/illustration.htm

Mesh aint that good for mudbox but i'll throw it in there to tweak some, maybe detailing until my last decade hardware gives up.

lildevilmv1.jpg
  • Khanongsouk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khanongsouk polycounter lvl 18
    Martian Manhunter, cone head version.
    martianmanhunterya6.th.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can make good money as a plumber!

Sorry no, cant post basemesh. Cant let all my secrets get out now can i?!?!
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sorry no, cant post basemesh. Cant let all my secrets get out now can i?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

No chance of an sdk? frown.gif
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    The team leaders of the mod I'm working on wanted a specific species of fish for an easter egg. I got yer fish RIGHT HEAH

fishy_wire.jpgfishy_front.jpg
    fishy_top.jpg
    fishy_texture.png

131 polys with a 128 texture there. Apparently it's an item for the player to pick up (HL2 mod btw), so I figured 128 was a nice number (soooo close!). I ripped the texture from the ether, so other than that, whatcha think?
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Ben polycounter lvl 18
    I put this off for a long time, but I finally finished the Destroyer in my Khadoran War group. (Warmachine Miniatures).

juggart.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Here's a WIP of my next environment piece. It's for one of my all time favourite games. Like my other stuff as of late I've done a little back story to this piece I will post later on. For now, consider it a "Where are they now?" subject piece for an old adventure title.

Guess the game, win a cookie!

ft_wip01.jpg
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Ben, I am digging that!

Here's a new character (yes he's based on Walter from The Big Lebowski)

Wally.jpg
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I instantly recognized him, and I haven't even seen the film yet!
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its hard making mechanics seem like the parts actually fit together.

concept1.jpg
    cocept1jpg.jpg
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    nice work Adam. Looking forward to seeing some nice specular details on that Airstream.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    comin along nicely Neo_God . I feel you could make more of the normal map detail in the clothes though
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Coldwolf.. you should remake it into the dopefish!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Um, snake<insert number>
    What the hell are those drawings of?
    I can't tell.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suppose to be a killer spy drone in a pillbug shape. I took two different colors and did a render cloud filter and then did some difference clouds on it. At first I wanted to let my imagination wonder in it and try to come up with something different but it wasnt clicking so I went with a pill bug body. I made a shell top with an arm comming down the side with a gun attached. And up front there is the lense and at the back there is suppose to be some kind of engine or something. And then ofcourse the lights that extend and move around.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Word to the wise mr.85027 do not use those filters. Espeically on a concept, can we see what it looked like before you threw all that crap on it?

Rwolf, that's looking okay, but it seems a little static. Although there's more movement in that guy than most people who play guitar hero, he at least does a little bit of pelvis moving.
This discussion has been closed.