Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2
    Any of the braid tutorials (for blender or any other 3D app?) here for blender 2.93:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fnIfR8EDqE?feature=shared

maybe fake some detail..

https://youtu.be/3-m--4CJnIo?feature=shared

or in geometry

https://youtu.be/FDkwsfRO2To?feature=shared

..and (of course :wink: )  using geometry nodes:

https://youtu.be/b4SpP4CT0d4?feature=shared

• wilson66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, it looks nice, but I'm always asking myself: who could possibly recreate something like those geometry nodes from scratch on his own?
  • Skywalker995
    Hello!

I am modeling a tunnel that has an expansion in one section. How can I better distribute the edges? As you can see in the image, after extruding from the cylinder, many edges are concentrated at the top. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this or do this properly? Thank you in advance!
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe something like this..

or this..

?? Maybe..
  • Skywalker995
    Thank you very much for your response. 
    I have implemented your second suggestion as a test. Is this what you had in mind? :)  
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatever fits your further workflow, needs.. etc. ..
  • Rolf_1994
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, I am newb, I'm trying to teach myself how to model. Starting REALLY Simple.

When making an object, that is going to get rigged, what pattern of triangle should I use?

Left is what I'm currently working on, Right is some MGS mooks I grabbed for reference on what a basic character mesh should look like.

I noticed the triangles on the MGS mook seem to point in the same direction, like a candy cane or barber pole. Is this a functional detail? I just need some general thumb rules to reduce the amount of headaches later.

• HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Rolf_1994 said:
    Hello, I am newb, I'm trying to teach myself how to model. Starting REALLY Simple.

When making an object, that is going to get rigged, what pattern of triangle should I use?

Left is what I'm currently working on, Right is some MGS mooks I grabbed for reference on what a basic character mesh should look like.

I noticed the triangles on the MGS mook seem to point in the same direction, like a candy cane or barber pole. Is this a functional detail? I just need some general thumb rules to reduce the amount of headaches later.

Hey, so you do not model in triangles (models get triangulated in game engine on import or you can do it manually but never model in triangles) for characters you need to study anatomy and topology flow on areas that gets animated. 

Example face: notice how lips and eyes area have circular flow as these get deformed.

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking for good topology for a rigged character.. you might want to look into:

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Limb_Topology

:wink:
  • primeready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, please help me with the topology of this element before I go crazy) Is that even realistic without the triangles? I'm stumped.

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to understand this the way a milling machine would be used.. or using boolean.. i think i get the upper part..

• meejeebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meejeebee node

I'm trying to model the arm of this bottle(video game hero prop) how would I approach this shape? Is my attempt a good way to start?
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always wanted to do more baroque like twirly squiggle... so may like so.. ? (there seem to be some holes  at the top right an middle part..but also some inbetween inlays..  near the animal head i'm not quit finished yet.. ):

• HsOhLiYt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm working on an object using subdivision surface. Below is the model as it currently sits. Don't mind the unfilled caps and whatnot, they aren't the problem.

Below are some pics of the topology. The first is the mesh without sudb. The one after is the mesh with subd.

Now for the problem, which I'm almost completely certain is caused by that pole.

As you can see above, the mesh of the cylinder BELOW the pole gets pulled inward more than the small cylinder part on the top. There's a visible gap between the ruler and the object on the lower portion of the object, but not on the small cylinder portion on the top.

Below is the same region without subd, and you can see that the edge sits perfectly flush with the ruler. No gap.

How do I deal with this? It doesn't look bad when textured and rendered, but the fact that I know this imperfection is there just bothers me.

****EDIT: Under the gentle tutelage of a few members of the Polycount discord, I've changed the topology a bit to split that 6 point pole into two 5 point poles. To account for the additional vertical edge loops causing pinching, I used 'loop tools > space', and 'loop tools > circle' on the horizontal circle loops around the main large cylinder shape. I had to manually rotate some of the main horizontal circle loops so that their verts lined up with the loops above and below. The overall topology is slightly less... 'flow-y' than it was before adding the extra vertical loops, but the main cylinder 'body' of this object isn't being contracted inward any more. Pics of changes below, and please offer any advice you have.

• midnightdead
    hi, I can’t figure out how to model this part
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi, I can’t figure out how to model this part
    Hi, and welcome to Polycount! Please see the first post for helpful instructions. Help us help you!
  • 3DNERD666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I am creating a 3D Low poly washing machine and I am looking for assistance with some topology.

I am aware it's bad ( I am a newbie :P )
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi, I can’t figure out how to model this part..
    Well.. it's essentially a cylinder.. with "extrusions" from a certain edge.. but "rounded".. so "just model away"... :wink:

Even if not "perfect".. this already renders quite nicely.. ( luckily its a 30degree turn.. see last image )

And the wires:

And a closer look at a previous WIP while contructing this ( more "straight", mentioned 30 degree.. maybe even suitable for a beauty shot..)

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DNERD666 said:
    Hi guys, I am creating a 3D Low poly washing machine and I am looking for assistance with some topology.
    I am aware it's bad ( I am a newbie :P )

Not soo bad for a start.. 

• meejeebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meejeebee node

how do I model these 4 'capsule' shapes? My problem is that the capsule shapes need rounded corners so I think I need to add more edges, however If I add edge loop(s) I think it will ruin the large capsule and circle shape on the right.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    meejeebee said:

how do I model these 4 'capsule' shapes? My problem is that the capsule shapes need rounded corners so I think I need to add more edges, however If I add edge loop(s) I think it will ruin the large capsule and circle shape on the right.

step by step, oooh baby!
    always start with a simple shape, as simple as you can. Less vertices to work with, less hassle.
    reworked the simple "squares" to be more round and fit the concept better

added edge between those shapes, so i can seperate them and work with only that part.

here you can see that i am only working on one part, that i can copy and paste. Because, at the end. Modular thinking and reusability is wonderful in tech!

did the same with this part!

now put everything together and weld the vertices!

• meejeebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meejeebee node

How would I reduce these 6 vertical lines down to one? This is realistic hard surface so the topology needs to be super clean quads.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    meejeebee said:
    just eliminate the lines you dont need and have an ngon or tri there. It's fine. Merge a couple of those edges together to have a more "evenly" divided flow
  • Voo200
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, im new here.

I've been trying to fix the topology of this area, but im having a hard time.

This is how it looked like before

Then i tried on 2 different ways to fix the topology and fill the empty space, but honestly im not sure if any of them were right.

Any suggestions or tips?
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Voo200 said:
    Hello, im new here.

Then i tried on 2 different ways to fix the topology and fill the empty space, but honestly im not sure if any of them were right.

Any suggestions or tips?

Hi there.
    I would recommend to work with 1/8 of the mesh.
    1. Start with your basic shapes
    2. Create seperate mesh that would act as boolean
    3. Boolean
    4. Rotate the mesh 45 degrees
    5. delete 1/8 of the mesh
    6. Clean up
    7. Rotate back -45 degrees
    8. Symmetri
    and voila.

HERE IS THE 1/8th of the mesh cleaned

• kollmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:
    Voo200 said:
    Hello, im new here.

Any suggestions or tips?

Hi there.
    I would recommend to work with 1/8 of the mesh.
    1. Start with your basic shapes
    2. Create seperate mesh that would act as boolean
    3. Boolean
    4. Rotate the mesh 45 degrees
    5. delete 1/8 of the mesh
    6. Clean up
    7. Rotate back -45 degrees
    8. Symmetri
    and voila.

HERE IS THE 1/8th of the mesh cleaned

• kollmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! Super useful tips and workflow! I have tried this topology for practice, using extrude and mirror, what do you think?

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    kollmer said:
    Hello! Super useful tips and workflow! I have tried this topology for practice, using extrude and mirror, what do you think?

Clean result. Just have a reminder, if it's not going to deform, you could easily terminate the loops with ngons /tris. Dont fear them.
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 1/8 approach might be an idea.. here is mine. The marked lines might be delete when adding..

• ToJoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone, I'm new to modeling and decided to model this mechanical arm for practice, but i'm stuck at the "palm" area, i managed to do it with boolean and dirty topology but i can't do it with clean topology and using subd (which is what i'm trying to practice), my goal is to make this mechanical arm deform well (even if it's metal).  thank you in advance 
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToJoe said:
    ..but i'm stuck at the "palm" area..

Well.. You may show your trials or have to elaborate this to get a more suited answer...

And a shaded view.. the "sharp" edges are "discusable"..

• ToJoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki said:
    ToJoe said:
    ..but i'm stuck at the "palm" area..

Well.. You may show your trials or have to elaborate this to get a more suited answer...

And a shaded view.. the "sharp" edges are "discusable"..

Thank you, and "my trials" were basically shoving a cylinder in a box with boolean and then deleting the whole thing lol. but next time i will take a picture before rage quitting.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    ToJoe said:
    Hello everyone, I'm new to modeling and decided to model this mechanical arm for practice, but i'm stuck at the "palm" area, i managed to do it with boolean and dirty topology but i can't do it with clean topology and using subd (which is what i'm trying to practice), my goal is to make this mechanical arm deform well (even if it's metal).  thank you in advance 

This is how i would do it.
    From top left to right and down .
    1. Baseshape of where the fingers would go out
    2. the back that would connect to it
    3. fixed the finger shape
    4. Meshes inside that i duplicated and scaled down to boolean
    5. Union boolean the main shapes
    6. Difference Boolean the holes
    7A. Fixed topology
    7B. Added new shape that i boolean out
    8-9. Fixed topology on the under side and the topside.
    10. End product

I attached a .zip file at the end for you to explore. Have in mind, nothing is perfect. As this was another "use basic first, before detailing".

• ToJoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! that's really good, i will have a look at the zip file and i will try and make my own based on your work and okidoki's work. i will post it here when i'm done.
  • ToJoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both okidoki  and wirrexx, i followed both your examples and managed to make this. cheers
  • SV_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SV_

Hi guys. Any ideas how to make this pattern? I tried everything in substance painter and it seems like im gonna have to model it by hands. Please help :astonished:

• SV_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SV_
    so i just downloaded a free model to reverse engineer and i still dont get it. Pls help me understand. Is the primitive that is used here an ico sphere or uv sphere or subdivided cube?

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might be some to sphere casting liek so:

• SV_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SV_
    okidoki said:
    This might be some to sphere casting liek so:

that just worked. Thank you! were you looking at the screenshot and just immediately knew how its achieved?
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I first thought of somekind of projection; then shrinkwrapping.. and then.. "to sphere". It didn't looked like somekind of "special fragmentation of a surface".. like for example this.. arc like plaster of rectangle stones..

..or: i just saw it :wink:
  • Minjae_Jeong

Hello, I am a student studying modeling.
    While modeling, I am wondering what to do with the topology of this part. How should I organize the surface to make it quadpoly so that it does not become bumpy?
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    @Minjae_Jeong It would really help to know whether some or all of these faces are flat, or if there are any curves involved here. Is this on a cylinder? Do a little unzoomie for me.
  • Barnard750
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello everyone. My name is Barnard. 

I came across this thread on someone's advice. The reason I came across this thread is to find an answer to a minor problem that has been racking my brain for two days.

This is a problem I encountered while modeling a Star Wars blaster.  
    I was creating a high polygon to extract a normal map for use in game production props.

While creating a high polygon for a scope mount, I was concerned about creasing between the mount frame and the part that connects the barrel.

I looked around several places and looked for videos on YouTube. I may have overlooked the solution to this.
    This is where the problem occurred. The cylinder shape is not sharp and distortion occurs near the protrusion. 

Even when viewed from the side, the shape of the cylinder is not sharp and is tilted towards the pillar or is severely curved.

I'm angry at myself for being so stupid that I couldn't solve this problem.
    someone could kindly give me some advice about the geometry or tell me if it's possible to solve this problem? Or, for reference, it would be nice to be able to obtain a similar object in its state before turning it into a high polygon.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    hello everyone. My name is Barnard. 

I came across this thread on someone's advice. The reason I came across this thread is to find an answer to a minor problem that has been racking my brain for two days.

This is a problem I encountered while modeling a Star Wars blaster.  
    I was creating a high polygon to extract a normal map for use in game production props.

While creating a high polygon for a scope mount, I was concerned about creasing between the mount frame and the part that connects the barrel.

I looked around several places and looked for videos on YouTube. I may have overlooked the solution to this.
    This is where the problem occurred. The cylinder shape is not sharp and distortion occurs near the protrusion. 

Even when viewed from the side, the shape of the cylinder is not sharp and is tilted towards the pillar or is severely curved.

I'm angry at myself for being so stupid that I couldn't solve this problem.
    someone could kindly give me some advice about the geometry or tell me if it's possible to solve this problem? Or, for reference, it would be nice to be able to obtain a similar object in its state before turning it into a high polygon.

this has been mentioned many times in the blog. I would advise you to go back a couple of pages and take a look. you will learn a lot.
    1. the pieces you are building together, are separated
    2. I have a 48-sided cylinder in this case, so my box can fit in between the segments. This will automatically act as a supporting loop for the box
    3. I use union boolean
    4. delete 1/4 of the mesh
    5. fix problems
    6. support loops
    7. Subd.

• Barnard750
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @wirrexx
    oh my god. It's amazing how simple it was.
    I think my decision to try to solve the problem with a 24-sided cylinder was foolish.
    It seems like the story will end if you create a low polygon with a 24-sided cylinder of the same size and a high polygon with a 48-sided cylinder.
    But I have one more question. Did you create an object with different sized top and bottom cylinders like me? Or did you try the same size?
    I have an eye problem so it's hard for me to see pictures of black objects, but I'm very grateful for the response.
    so glad I finally figured out a solution.
    PS.  I had symptoms of myopia and vitreous floaters, it took a long time to figure out the shape.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    @wirrexx
    I think my decision to try to solve the problem with a 24-sided cylinder was foolish.
    It seems like the story will end if you create a low polygon with a 24-sided cylinder of the same size and a high polygon with a 48-sided cylinder.
    But I have one more question. Did you create an object with different sized top and bottom cylinders like me? Or did you try the same size?
    I have an eye problem so it's hard for me to see pictures of black objects, but I'm very grateful for the response.
    so glad I finally figured out a solution.
    PS.  I had symptoms of myopia and vitreous floaters, it took a long time to figure out the shape.

you can use different sizes, thats not an issue, just make sure that it creates the outside supporting loops for any mesh it connects to!
  • Barnard750
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @wirrexx I haven't followed it perfectly, but it seems to work well.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    @wirrexx I haven't followed it perfectly, but it seems to work well.

so one thing to keep in mind. Dont go for perfect. It will just ruin your "lust" to do 3D. Go for what looks good. if you have tris and ngons everywhere and it still looks good to bake. Go for it. you will learn with each project. Also If this is a HP that will be baked down, be careful not to have that tight edge support. Cause that will cause issues if you are more zoomed out form the object creating jaggies.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    @wirrexx

Still doable with 24, best would be 28 or 32, you can get very smooth mesh with that for baking.
  • Barnard750
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:
    @wirrexx

Still doable with 24, best would be 28 or 32, you can get very smooth mesh with that for baking.
    Let’s apply it right away. Looking at the game assets, the barrel mesh was made with a 24-sided cylinder, so I tried using a 24-sided shape. My eyesight is bad today, so I guess I'll have to stop work.  The floaters are very visible.

I'm so lucky to have this community and kind people like you.