Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2
    What i already meant with my mentioned "this depends on the exact wanted look" and now with what your last post suggested..  .. that i would never read the shape like so.. maybe if something more like this was sketched in the question: .. ( so.. never mind..) :wink:

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

andy939 said:
    ...it should go all the way to the top.
    Just a few well placed control or support loops to enable appropriate smoothing once the algorithm (subd lvl 2) is applied.
  • alexus_sanchez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to bevel this line of edges but I need the bevels to have different offsets at different edges, right now it is equal across the all the edges. 

The reference I want to achieve (you can see the bevels being bigger on the left and smaller down the right side of the gun):

I have tried using the edge bevel (blue lines) and mixing them but get bad results when trying to connect other edges bevels (that in turn have their own bevel offset). Do I have to model the curves in a more destructive way?
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about beveling different parts.. differently.. and i maybe even copying this parts and join them into a new object.. (or separate before..whatever you like..) like so (with quick and bad topology to just show the beveled edges):

..and then bridging and enhanceing the connection.. it seems to be that only the part where you hold the gun has a bigger bevel amount/radius..
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To further expound upon okidoki's example, a few more tips creating variable radius bevels via the modifier (non destructive) or vanilla tool (destructive) by Creative Shrimp's Gleb Alexandrov:

OT: 
    However as an aside, would personally much prefer generating everything at material level implementing the rounded edge shader.

(just an option I think worth keeping in mind)
  • perandall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perandall node
    Hey I am trying to make a Nifo'Oti blade by coming the blade of the first reference with the teeth of the 2nd reference, i am stuck on the teeth. Can someone help me with modeling this? Thanks!
    Main blade shape:

Teeth reference:

My current attempt:

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    perandall said:
    Hey I am trying to make a Nifo'Oti blade by coming the blade of the first reference with the teeth of the 2nd reference, i am stuck on the teeth. Can someone help me with modeling this? Thanks!
    Main blade shape:

Teeth reference:

My current attempt:

check if you can find the artist who did it for Call Of Duty, you can break it down better this way.

I did a fast one to test it out. But you could do better. added the blender file for you to check

• perandall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perandall node
    wirrexx i think you misunderstood me. I am not trying to make the sharp teeth on the COD reference, I am trying to make the smooth teeth of the second reference
  • Silver91748
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silver91748 polycounter lvl 2
    Any tips on how I can get rid of this crease?

I'm using the latest version of Maya! The above screenshot is a smooth preview, and the bottom ones show my current topology (left is w/ smooth preview, right is w/o)

• AbuseMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone! I was wondering if some good soul could lift my weeks of suffering on the simplest problem I ever encountered.

So I'm trying to model a spaceship that was drawn by spacegoose. This is the one in question:

The issue I run into is that when I try to make the front of the spaceship, I keep getting non-planar polygons. Granted, I'm only blocking out the shape for now, but the hexagonal shape at the front somewhat keeps its height, but increases in width.

Here is the concrete issue:

I assume having non-planar geo would be bad. I realize I have very little geometry here currently, but even if I add additional cuts, it's not like the problem goes away, unless it would be an incredibly dense mesh.

Is this normal and I'm just way overthinking it? Or is there a proper way to do this?

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help out.

-Matt
  • RamyIssa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any tips on how I can get rid of this crease?

I'm using the latest version of Maya! The above screenshot is a smooth preview, and the bottom ones show my current topology (left is w/ smooth preview, right is w/o)

You need to subdivide your mesh a bit to handle this sharpening

• perandall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perandall node
    Hey, im trying to make this necklace piece but i cant figure out how to make the cuts on the sides of the mesh. Can someone help? Ive attached the ref as well as my 2 attempts.

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    perandall said:
    Hey, im trying to make this necklace piece but i cant figure out how to make the cuts on the sides of the mesh. Can someone help? Ive attached the ref as well as my 2 attempts.

primary
    secondary
    tertiary

ignore the fact that the bulging of the shape is not there, As I was to lazy to do it perfectly. but, remember, to get the big shapes firrst before going into mid and smaller.

added the zip file under

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbuseMatt said:

The issue I run into is that when I try to make the front of the spaceship, I keep getting non-planar polygons.
    Well.. i wonder what makes you think so.. also Blenders does have this feature to check the distortion of a mesh to check which polygons aren't coplanar.. and as long as someone keeps extruding and scaling in a "proper" way.. i think there is no problem.. (additional mesh to show distortion.. and pulling the minimum to 0 also displays "some slighly distortion" on wanted faces.. but using 0.00001 not.. so i guess it's the usual floating point precisison problem.. increasing maximim kust changes the color range of the displayed faces)

AFAIK extruding any planar geometry leads to a  a for each face coplanar rectangle and even scaling it doesn't changes this.. so i added:

• Fameho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. Recently I decided to make an electric kettle to practice the curves of the surface.

Having done this for the first time, I decided to redo it more qualitatively. And then I met a problem:
    How do I fit the topology of the rounded lid to this new edge to make a gray curved line on the lid?

I tried a lot to rebuild the topology around this edge, but then the bad direction of the edges becomes visible. It seems to me that enlarging the geometry with Smooth Face can help. But I still have the feeling that it is possible to solve this without increasing the number of polygons and without losing the shape of the sphere.

Thank you in advance for the answers.

• Octavio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octavio node
    Help plase.  :/  
    Hello guys, I´m studing the trim and tile technique in environment art for games, so I´m modeling a kind of old pilar temple, the thing is that when we are modelling a unique object the bottom part of the model is use to merge with the attached objects, but when we are modeling tile stuff HOW does the bottom part is modeling and how does it is unwrapped? can you help me please?  PS: I know that the player can´t see the bottom part  but still I´m very interested to know how a proffesional works with that part...

here is my plan for the tiles and trim parts :) 
    here is the concept: 

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's generally a good idea to keep the bottom and backsides of meshes, you don't know how the asset might be used in the future and closed meshes can sometimes work better with lighting and shadows depending on the engine. You can use any part of the trimsheet UV that makes sense, like part of the unique circle or just a generic flat area. 
  • Lizz_Riverland
    Hi everyone! May I have some help to get the edges rounded like my reference? 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Cut in a rectangle, extrude out, bevel the corners.  
  • Lizz_Riverland
    ZacD said:
    Cut in a rectangle, extrude out, bevel the corners.  

Thanks! this is how it looks like when I bevel it and then I am not sure how to fix the topology 

• Octavio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octavio node
    Hello again I got a new question about the modeling of trims and tiles...
    so when it comes to crash elements of the asset how does it is approached, do you use Booleans and make the new topology, like me in the 1st image? or you just crash the elements? the problem is that when I'm going to made the uvs these make distortion in the topology that I fix cause the Booleans, so I´m very confused because you´re making unique objects you bake and apparently there´s no longer a problem but what´s going on with the trims and tileable textures,

specifically those that are crashing...

<br>

I´m following a little bit this tut: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IziIY674NAw

so I´ve to go back and make it simple... just a cylinder that is crashing with the pillars but it is look like an error. What I´m looking for its a shape that seems to be a good construction asset not something that is stick to it. Hope you can help me and teach me how studios like naughtydog resolver this.

• perandall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perandall node
    Hey im trying to model the ends of this bone joint, this is my attempt. I cant figure out how to make the geometry flow correctly, can someone help to direct me along the right path?

Ref:

Attempt:
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Octavio said:
    Hello again I got a new question about the modeling of trims and tiles...
    so when it comes to crash elements of the asset how does it is approached, do you use Booleans and make the new topology, like me in the 1st image? or you just crash the elements? the problem is that when I'm going to made the uvs these make distortion in the topology that I fix cause the Booleans, so I´m very confused because you´re making unique objects you bake and apparently there´s no longer a problem but what´s going on with the trims and tileable textures,

specifically those that are crashing...

<br>

I´m following a little bit this tut: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IziIY674NAw

so I´ve to go back and make it simple... just a cylinder that is crashing with the pillars but it is look like an error. What I´m looking for its a shape that seems to be a good construction asset not something that is stick to it. Hope you can help me and teach me how studios like naughtydog resolver this.

That is exactly how its done in games, 

a, you dont get enough time in production to make all unique environment assets that look constructed.
    b, you add decal meshes and or play with shaders to make these intersecting areas look constructed.

above is example of (b) decal floater geo strip is placed on top of two intersecting pipes to give the illusion of weld / connected mesh.
  • alexus_sanchez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to model this magazine for the MP7A1 and I wonder what the easiest way to curve a mesh is. I used the curve modifier but for some reason the length gets shorthened. Any tips? 

• MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    Hi guys.The problem here is that I can't 3d visualize this object from a Nintendo game, splatoon 2. Using only POLYGONAL MODELING without digital sculpture, because nintendo didn't use it.Thank you in advance.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The idea for this thread (as explained in the first post) is that you post your best attempt first and foremost. Also, posting such a collage of screenshots like this (litterally showing 30 assets) isn't helpful in any way - you need to put in the work to isolate the specific element you want to get help with.

The original modeler using "digital sculpture" or not is irrelevant.  A shape is a shape - once you understand it, you can build it, either in polygons or in sculpt. Also, the modelers working on Splatoon didn't improvise anything - they followed strict 2d reference sheets.

Lastly, there's really no such thing as being unable to "visualize" such shapes. Just get started !
  • MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    Guys, I have a very big problem. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO MAKE POLYGONAL MODELS CORRECTLY.Well, that is, I know that everything starts with a block, but not everything can be modeled this way.I need to know the full pipeline of creating 3D models for games. so that I can create any objects I want using a clear pipeline.Like 3D graphics artists from Nintendo or from AAA studios.I really need information very badly. Because there is very little information on the Internet.And yes, I almost forgot.I REALLY need to know how 3d models were created before for games like GTA San Andreas (2004) or Super Mario 64. Thank you guys so much for your answer, it is very important to me. With your help, I will be able to fulfill my dream. Thank you guys. <3
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a more general approach you may have look here: wiki.polycount.com Character_Modeling
    Edit: there is more in the wiki than that.. ( and posts are editable..  ;-)   no need for mutltiple posts and remember @pior 's reply )
  • MaX_On
  • MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
  • MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    And i want to make props and object
  • MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    And not just the characters
  • NkTOZZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, everybody. Can you please tell me how I can fix the topology in this place?

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    NkTOZZ said:
    Hey, everybody. Can you please tell me how I can fix the topology in this place?

• MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    Hello guys. I need a pipeline for creating 3d models for games, because not everything starts with a block, right? Maybe there are tutorials or articles on this topic on this forum? Thanks in advance)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Specifically!  wrong place to ask on a subd modeling dedicated thread.

....but as always google is definitely your friend :

or alternatively innovative game prop pipeline, implementing CAD -> Rounded Edge Shader therefore by-passing conventional polygonal high flow baking strategies:

• MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    I can't model it in any way at all and I don't understand what modifiers were used for the artifact (this is the object that looks like a tombstone) for stones and for the lantern that is next to the artifact. Just show how you would model it and what modifiers you would use. source with video references (it is in Russian)   

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/E5bx/LUcPxYv5u/1. Подготовка окружения/1.3 Драфт/1_12_Драфт моделей.mp4

• MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    What books about polygonal modeling in 3d s max would you recommend?
  • perandall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perandall node
    Hey im trying to make the wrist armor for a clone trooper and im getting some pretty bad pinching on the backside thats making the corner protrude out. Its a very minor issue but I would like to make sure the topo is good. Does anyone have recommendations for how to fix the topo on the back? Ive circled the pinching in one of the images below so you can see what im referring to as well as including my references. I also drew what the areas should look like.

• Raphael_Bouch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raphael_Bouch triangle
    Hello, I'm trying to combine these two shapes (the fins with the cylinder), but no matter how hard I try I keep having these pinching artifacts on the edges. I'm stuck on it for 3 days now any help is greatly appreciated !

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You don't want to disturb the edge flow or create 5 edge poles along a clean cylinder like that. Try to terminate any loops or edges on the flat surface away from the loop.
  • Raphael_Bouch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raphael_Bouch triangle
    ZacD said:
    You don't want to disturb the edge flow or create 5 edge poles along a clean cylinder like that. Try to terminate any loops or edges on the flat surface away from the loop.

This is kinda hard considering the top fins are near the edges of the cylinder, beyond the support loop. I'm not sure how to tackle this. Adding an extra loop would just make the curvature more sharp ?
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD said:

This is kinda hard considering the top fins are near the edges of the cylinder, beyond the support loop. I'm not sure how to tackle this. Adding an extra loop would just make the curvature more sharp ?
    You can move the fin inwards towards other fin, this way you will have room for support loop for outer edge  and it will also blend with flat top surface too nicely. Since in game it will get baked down on low poly and no one is zooming in that close to an asset. Another thing in games we are not doing CAD precision. 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    ZacD said:

You're essentially trying to combine these shapes while preserving the clean subdivided look.

Where there's overlap you either have to average the positions of both vertexes and merge, pick one side to preserve the smoothing of and deal with , or manually tweak those few verts to look like a smooth blend.

This tends to be really quick and easy with flat surfaces since as long as the edge flow of the first loop is mostly clean and preserved, topology in the flat areas doesn't matter at all. It gets annoying with curves where you have to preserve the curve and manage more geo.

• MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    how do I make the right topology?
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "is it bad"

As long as the surface is flat (planar) bordered by control loops, ngons and/or triangles will usually cast no shading artifacts once subdivided or turbosmoothed. 

However personally as a game vehicle artist, I would fan the corners:

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Realized I should have posted an example with the fin closer to the edge, and with the skewed verts near the edge. I adjusted the height and position of just a few verts just to make the smoothing near the pinched edge look more uniform to the smoothing around the rest of the fin. When using this approach you want to tweak as few verts as possible, saves time and headaches, and you really shouldn't need much. 

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm... right side additional with wireframe.. left object with two level subdivision modifier.. right object with modifer applied.. and didn't even care about some tris..  ..of course this depends on the sizes of everthing.. and the wanted beveling at the  cylinder edges..

Maybe another view.. ohh and the part in the middle isn't connected to the cylinder yet.. :

• Raphael_Bouch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raphael_Bouch triangle
    ZacD said:
    Realized I should have posted an example with the fin closer to the edge, and with the skewed verts near the edge. I adjusted the height and position of just a few verts just to make the smoothing near the pinched edge look more uniform to the smoothing around the rest of the fin. When using this approach you want to tweak as few verts as possible, saves time and headaches, and you really shouldn't need much. 

Hey ! Sorry for the delay @ZacD @okidoki I was busy these past few days ^^.
    Thanks for sharing the more closer to the edge version, the hardest past was indeed making the shape flow nicely with the edge.
    Have a nice day guys !
  • perandall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perandall node
    Hey everyone, im trying to model a phase 2 clone trooper helmet. Ive gotten the model basically done and now I am adding edge loops to the model so that I can subdivide it up properly. I keep running into the edges that are causing me issues because I need to have multiple edges going into them in order to create a fully quad edge but if i add edge loops that will cause the model to have edges too close together around the whole helmet. Does anyone know any ways to topologize these types of edges? Thanks!

Reference: