Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    wirrexx said:
    @wirrexx
    oh my god. It's amazing how simple it was.
    I think my decision to try to solve the problem with a 24-sided cylinder was foolish.

Still doable with 24, best would be 28 or 32, you can get very smooth mesh with that for baking.
    Let’s apply it right away. Looking at the game assets, the barrel mesh was made with a 24-sided cylinder, so I tried using a 24-sided shape. My eyesight is bad today, so I guess I'll have to stop work.  The floaters are very visible.

I'm so lucky to have this community and kind people like you.

sure thing. Here is a 24, 28, 32.

• Tomthehyperbeast
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to ask if there is a cleaner way to go from 7 to 3 in this tight area? Thank you very much.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to ask if there is a cleaner way to go from 7 to 3 in this tight area? Thank you very much.

• Tomthehyperbeast
    wirrexx said:

Thank you for your help!
  • Tomthehyperbeast
    Should I model the small details as separate object to reduce the polycount or is there a way to of topology that use less poly in this case?
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Should I model the small details as separate object to reduce the polycount or is there a way to of topology that use less poly in this case?

looks good and you have no issue. Go ahead and do it that way, it's good exercise. In the future, however, looking into floaters, could save you time if you want to for example put more time on learning to have a clean bake or push your texturing skills. But good work on it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Even quad topo is great for making subdiv models for metal mechanical parts like that. Just pay attention how parts connect to other parts, if they are one solid metal piece or separate or welded on, etc. 
  • Tomthehyperbeast
    wirrexx said:

looks good and you have no issue. Go ahead and do it that way, it's good exercise. In the future, however, looking into floaters, could save you time if you want to for example put more time on learning to have a clean bake or push your texturing skills. But good work on it.
    Thank you for your advice!
  • slocapz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how to go about modelling this wrap
    refs:

my attempt:

if anyone could provide some insight on how to acheive something that resembles the reference it would be greatly appreciated
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2
    slocapz said:
    Usually there are direct tips for such questions here.. but.. i had no coffee yet :sweat_smile: .. so:

Blender from 10 years ago up to 10 month ago:
  • juniwini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm working on a high polygon assignment. there is an unresolved problem
    before digging the hole

after digging the hole

This can be solved by adding a line horizontally, but then the circle becomes distorted. I don't know how to make a wireframe
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    juniwini said:
    i'm working on a high polygon assignment. there is an unresolved problem
    you will need some more geometry locally. either work higher res in general and go from there or locally add a bunch more loops
    then quad chamfer

• juniwini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks i solved it
  • slocapz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki said:
    slocapz said:
    Usually there are direct tips for such questions here.. but.. i had no coffee yet :sweat_smile: .. so:

Blender from 10 years ago up to 10 month ago:
    Thanks, I think the second video might be best for what Im trying to achieve, would appreciate if someone showed them making the wrap, I have a few more refs if needed
  • Tomthehyperbeast
    Hello, need some advice on this. How can I solve this complex pole while still maintain the bevel edge?
    Here is the shape of the object

• Spoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoody polycounter lvl 7

Hey guys! I wonder if there's better way to make shapes like this:
    I think i never saw this kind of tricky shape merge explained. Especially when there's a subtraction on the curved shape at the same time. Also there may be a big chamfer at the boolean's intersection.
    To me it's a nightmare and always done by hand at the end with high chance of artifacts, bumpy surface.
  • BlankMauser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlankMauser polycounter lvl 8
    Hello. I am wondering what operations might be used to make this spiral shape:

I have gotten this far using just spin and bevel in Blender.

But im not sure what operations I should be using for the rest. Some edge slides and manual cuts? If there is an easier way to do this I would love to know.
  • ConS44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, im concerned which is the best way to support this cylinder shape on the topology.

I usually use tris to remove any ngons on curved shapes, but i've been told it is preferred to support with quads.

Just to be clear, it won't be applied any subdv, that's already the final model.
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you use not any  smooth shading on the surface and the area around the cylinder is not curved.. that should be fine.. ( maybe one additional support loop ad the 90 degree edges)..
    ..or: have a look at it with some light object.. see any difference.. ?
  • emilko309
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emilko309 polycounter lvl 2
    How do I model something like this in a single mesh?

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm.. :thinking: ..arraying the base, tilting a curve and then maybe apply and then maybe further moving arround via sculpting ?

and then..

• DigitalGreenTea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DigitalGreenTea polycounter lvl 6
    emilko309 said:
    How do I model something like this in a single mesh?

The shape is not easy to see in this picture, but I'd say you could make a flat strip getting that tire-like shape ready and then use bend modifiers to achieve a similar deformation. 
  • DigitalGreenTea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm designing on-ear headphones with the ports in the cylindrical base shape. I've tried to reduce the loop count, it was causing shading issues but unfortunately it continues to have shading problems. Does anyone have suggestions for handling this differently?
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe like so ?..

• DigitalGreenTea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki said:
    Maybe like so ?..
    That looks a lot cleaner. Thanks for the help!
  • beatnikguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on learning and understanding hard surface modeling. To learn I decided to model the 2nd Gen Light Cycle from Tron: Legacy. I managed to make the front "wheel" (Well enough for now) and I have a base mesh for the body but I've been trying to cut out the windows in the style of this movie reference image:

Reference:

Background Reference:

First Attempt:

This ended up messing up the topology flow so I returned to the base mesh:

I'm just really struggling with adding to my edge-flow without introducing tris and n-gons that make jagged points and incorrect curves. I'm also finding it hard to make it look like a machined object instead of organic. Thank you.
  • suppakid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm quite new to 3D modelling, and I think this might be a bit too advanced for me, but I wanted to try anyways. To the left there is the reference and these are prints from my progress so far.

What do you guys think? Any idea on how I might be getting it wrong? It does not feel right for me

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suppakid said:

What do you guys think? 
    Since you uses some hexagon base and subdivided this further.. :

You just might want to scale your outer edges  along X and Y only.. to give it a more "rounded" look.. ??

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on learning and understanding hard surface modeling...

Ha.. i meant my thread suggestion in "the other forum" more to learn from some subdiv tips here..  :wink: ..or you follow my other tip about boolean out (?) the "cockpit" with some simple geo.. here is the result of that suggestion..

..also since you already "booleaned" some hexagon holes into the "wheels"..
  • fimbrethil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! I am trying to create this shape:

This is what I made so far:

There are these shading errors (i guess?) beside the obvious pinching, how can i improve the topology?

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You may have to double check your geometry "planarity" (?) :

..or your support loops at the non-circular part are too tight ??
  • fimbrethil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki said:
    You may have to double check your geometry "planarity" (?) :

planarity is a new concept for me but while checking the support loops... i realised this

deleting the two faces solved the problem. but i guess 8 edges were not enough for the hole, i had to increased the subdiv iteration from 2 to 3.

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Probably don't need to increase the sub divisions that much for that small of a part, it's going to be like 2px on a 2k texture. 
  • suppakid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki said:
    You just might want to scale your outer edges  along X and Y only.. to give it a more "rounded" look.. ??
    Thank you very much! It helped with the feeling of wrongness.

Additionally, if you or somebody reading could tell me, what would be the proper way to model this section?

• WarriorOfOld
    How do I even begin to model this cover? I understand how to model the outer ridges, but the raised bit in the middle is just throwing me off. Any tips?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do I even begin to model this cover? I understand how to model the outer ridges, but the raised bit in the middle is just throwing me off. Any tips?

if i have a shape i can not wrap my head around. i just go in and draw a wireframe over it. starting with the more detailled parts to see how much resolution i would need in the simpler elements. a ring is always easy to upres

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someoen mentioned the edge cease feature of blender the other day.. and i played around with it again... someone has to ue a littel different workflow than the traditional support edges... so i did hit the wanted topolpgy perfectly.. but for a small finger excercise.. if someone is more free in the wanted form then this tends to deliver quick results.. but of course it depends..

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when you crease your meshes you have to work  a bit differently from using classic support loops. poles on edges can easily shade poorly, you should always make sure of clean loops/rings on edges otherwise you have these spots

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And.. i added two images... but somehow they didn't show up.. actually now i even can't upload images at all !?!?

• fimbrethil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    when you crease your meshes you have to work  a bit differently from using classic support loops. poles on edges can easily shade poorly, you should always make sure of clean loops/rings on edges otherwise you have these spots
    Do creases require support loops? I thought there was no need for support loops in crease+subdiv workflow
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ups.. black magic of the internet.. now the two images appeared in the first post of this and the one i tried again (where was no "reaction".. also..)

Anyway: in blender any edge can be "greased".. meaning the influence of the subdivision is lowered.. so a fully greased model would be visually not subdivided at all..  For interchanging purposes you have to apply the subdivision to get the topology which is produced by this feature replicated in another software..
    And sometimes you have to use the traditional support loop approach.. as i said.. sometimes another way to do things just may be helpfull..
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    Do creases require support loops? I thought there was no need for support loops in crease+subdiv workflow

lets call it support structure, not necessarily support loops in the sense you would use those when you do not use creases. its just needs a little different thinking about things. you need to keep in mind that the edge quality is dependent on the surrounding geometry, to have consistent looking edge quality you need a consistently dense mesh. while with support loops this isnt really a factor.

something like this will work great for quad chamfered edges

but with creases the top side edge will look different from the side edge, just because the density of the surrounding geo is different
    see how the highlight moves further into the shape?
    this is because under the hood it will do this:
    so if you want a more consistent edge, you need to make sure the density around the edge is similar
    now the edge is more consistent. this may or may not be an important detail dependent on what you are working on.

and say you wanna do the holes on the outer perimeter you need to keep in mind that poles can have heavier impact on the edges than using support loops
    using support loops

using creases

in which case, using ngons (god forbid!!!11) could be a useful tool
    because these are all clean loops

now technically you could solve the ngons like so
    but then you kill the nice loop around the hole, which will introduce issues

should certainly have taken more measurements or look for a blueprint but you probably get the basic idea
    note how the outer edge just near the screw holes is tighter than on the bigger areas. this would need some adjusting to make this all consistent.
    next steps would be alinging a few loops, cleaning up some ugly areas, punching out those dented shapes and then doing the cutouts. probably by booling and cleaning them
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master

here's how i would do it. Took longer then i wanted, but i am sitting in school and I haven't done 3D in weeks. (stopped being a 3D artist, and doing something else in life).

1. build it in samll parts (breakdown "bigger" projects to smaller pieces and connect them)

so much easier to handle

2. Boolean them together
    3. work on 1/2 or 1/4..
    4. cleanup
    bevel
    5. cleanup

• perandall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perandall node
    Hey guys, I need some help modeling the pockets on a pair of pants. Ive tried several iterations but i cant seem to get it right. If anyone can help id appreciate it. The pants pocket should connect to the seam that runs along the sides of the pants. (I noticed this after my attempt so please forgive me with that).

Attempt: 

Refs: 

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not on a PC right now, cant paint over. But if you wanna model this, model it like the pieces of cloth are built instead of ending things somewhere just so.
    Even if you don't wanna simulate, look into sewing patterns und build it like those
  • jiggywattart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jiggywattart polycounter lvl 5
    I've been struggling past couple days on achieving this velvet fold look, experimenting on Zbrush with dynamic simulation+cloth brushes. The closest I got was manually sculpting folds with the fold brush then smoothing the result but it leaves a lot to be desired.
    I heard Marvelous Designer would be great at simulating fabric like this but I'm trying to get a more simplified stylized look.

• wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
     jiggywattart said:
    I've been struggling past couple days on achieving this velvet fold look, experimenting on Zbrush with dynamic simulation+cloth brushes. The closest I got was manually sculpting folds with the fold brush then smoothing the result but it leaves a lot to be desired.
    I heard Marvelous Designer would be great at simulating fabric like this but I'm trying to get a more simplified stylized look.

Have you tried physics + cloth simulation in blender ? 

Find out what material that is. And drop the pieces on top of a plane that simulates clothes (with restriction) too see if it gives you the shape?) 

if you want to sculpt it.
    You need an understanding where the folds crease and how it happens. 

Imagine putting in one piece in the lower left corner .
    how would the cloth react To having many empty areas and one area that is pulling all of the clothes towards it. 

Now suddenly you add a piece on the top right corner. What happens and so on. The reaction to an action. 

• wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    perandall said:
    Hey guys, I need some help modeling the pockets on a pair of pants. Ive tried several iterations but i cant seem to get it right. If anyone can help id appreciate it. The pants pocket should connect to the seam that runs along the sides of the pants. (I noticed this after my attempt so please forgive me with that).

Attempt: 

Refs: 

Check this out 

https://youtu.be/N3DaG6sETok?si=KV8GBB51YHwXunaV