Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• FrankPolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    @macaron10 Break the complex forms down into individual features then break those features down into radially tiling elements. Focus on generating accurate shapes first then use those shapes to guide the overall topology routing. After that just add the final support loops around the perimeter of the shapes and shape transitions.

Here's some additional resources on creating radially tiling features and similar shapes:
  • macaron10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon  I'm very grateful to you. Thank you.
  • TannedBatman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TannedBatman polycounter lvl 6
    Trying to make this a hard corner

My attempts:

crease

Should I just use booleans? The back faces are deleted

Thanks
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Trying to make this a hard corner

My attempts:

crease

Should I just use booleans? The back faces are deleted

Thanks

just a very shoddy quick attempt but if you do not have a continuous loop down in that corner but an actual corner it will happen automagically
    not the exact same shape but you should get the idea

• TannedBatman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TannedBatman polycounter lvl 6
    Perfect, thank you.
  • perandall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perandall node
    Hey i am trying to model this ornamental design, im struggling with the circular section. Heres what ive got so far, i made the left and right side of the mesh seperatly after a failed attempt to make them in one mesh.

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Personally, I'd model a bunch of separate curly parts I can reuse and tweak, don't worry about overlaps, just kitbash them together. Either bake down all the details to a pretty simple mesh or use a tool like 3d coat that can voxelize the model. These types of details are pretty small and just become visual noise, so they don't need to be perfect. 
  • Solomonday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I am losing my mind over this shape. It doesn't help that I've already added a bunch of support loops. But I can't seem to get this shape without causing an unholy amount of pinching. I'd prefer to not run edge loops over the curve, even if I do, pinching is still present. Any help would be appreciated.

• perandall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perandall node
    Hey im trying to make this piece and im stuck. Ive tried a couple different methods but i keep getting shading issues from bad geometry. Any ideas?

Heres what I have:

Refs:

• elios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elios node
    What would be the most efficient way of modelling, or rather, remodelling an existing flat-ish modular piece (pic1) in blender to fit a corner shape like in the other pictures? The perfect case scenario is such that preserves UVs. The example in the images is not mine. My own attempt is the last pic. Ironically, it would be way easier to manually model it in sketchup simply because of its inference system. 

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2
    After you have insetted, extruded and scale your model to you liking you may rotate it 45 degree in the viewport and switching to orthogrphic view and then have a look into the bisect tool.. after pinning all UVs a simple edge selection and mkae face (with thr F2 addon) will also add correspondending UVs..  now this inclinded areas may need this inner setting and extrusion.. 

• sheheryar_noor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheheryar_noor polycounter lvl 10

@ pernadall 
    I quickly gave it a try. You need to do it with boolean.
  • sheheryar_noor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheheryar_noor polycounter lvl 10
    perandall said:
    Hey im trying to make this piece and im stuck. Ive tried a couple different methods but i keep getting shading issues from bad geometry. Any ideas?

Heres what I have:

Refs:

Either you have to start with dense cylinders so you don't have to worry about topology and connecting edges or you would have to pay attention to cylinders sides to avoid triangles (which I think isn't a big issue in this case).
  • DuckLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone! First post here on the forum :)
    Having a bit of a problem with this suppressor (trash panda by q), as I can't seem to make it keep the smooth curvature on the front side once I turn on the subd. By adding loops horizontally it also breaks the curvature, really got no clue what to do. Is it because I modeled around those 12 faces and the shape is not round enough? Thank you in advance for the help!
    Refs here:

Hp lateral, front and back side:
    LP:

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Gotta be really careful when adding edge loops around a consistent smooth curve. Generally it's easiest to start with more geometry and you can terminate those extra edge loops in flat areas where it wont affect smoothing. I'd probably start with 36 or 72 loops around that cylinder. 
  • DuckLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    Gotta be really careful when adding edge loops around a consistent smooth curve. Generally it's easiest to start with more geometry and you can terminate those extra edge loops in flat areas where it wont affect smoothing. I'd probably start with 36 or 72 loops around that cylinder. 

Thank you for the fast reply! I'll get to work and update you if I encounter any problems
  • takalamaonakara
    Hello there.
    I'm a total noob when it comes to 3d modeling and i've been wanting to make a paper art with some topography 3d models that i can get online. I tried using google and asking some friends, but I don't even know the correct terminologoy for this.
    So I'm gonna send 3 images that sparked my art idea as an example of what i want to do, from the starting 3d model, to the ending result.
    From the resulting 3d model (The low poly prisms) I'm gonna use pepakura designer to make a paper model.
    Can anyone help me on how to get from image 1 to 3????

• 3duser22
  • Tredgix_N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there!
    I need your help with this bolt for subdiv.
    I don't have any idea how to smoothly end the connection of the thread with the 'body' without getting any artifacts.

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Can anyone help me on how to get from image 1 to 3????

I guess any grid, elevated with for example a heightmap, splitted by faces, scaled by individual faces, extruded and maybe merged will do..

Blender even does have a paper model exporter.. which may be a bad idea for this kind of model...

• sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    perandall said:
    Hey i am trying to model this ornamental design, im struggling with the circular section. Heres what ive got so far, i made the left and right side of the mesh seperatly after a failed attempt to make them in one mesh.
    Hi you've pretty much got it sussed, atm just lacking a bit of finesse. 

Anyway here's a solution I'd shared when someone else was tackling a similar issue, on how to model ornamental shaped filigree - that might be useful including a couple of other workflow links as well:

• perandall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perandall node
    Hey im trying to model the hip joint a clone wars style b1 battle droid, ive tried several iterations but none have seemed to work properly. Heres my current attempt as well as some references. Ive also circles areas of issues that are causing pinching and what not. The area that is causing me the most issue is the cut out section near the middle of the torso.

• souhail123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello new member here 
    i am so desperate to create this material that i ended up here 
    anyone know how to make it with vray and 3dsmax
    it's a piece of soap that have embeded small bits in it , some are visible some are not , and some of them are just below the surface 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Either use the built in text tools or trace out the text, make sure it has thickness, use that to boolean into a beveled box, and you're done. 
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    hello new member here 
    i am so desperate to create this material that i ended up here 
    anyone know how to make it with vray and 3dsmax
    it's a piece of soap that have embeded small bits in it , some are visible some are not , and some of them are just below the surface 

what is the final product? a bar of soap in a (any really, iso, thirdperson, even firstperson) game?
    use a normalmap
     how close will you be getting to that soap that it needs to be modelled in? if its for advertisement, i would really just displace it.

oh wait this is about the material/shader? i feel like this is totally the wrong thread for that.
    for games if you wanna go there, parallaxing could give a bit of a sense of pieces being inside and blurred away but i am not sure if it will ever be worth the efford.
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6

How would we get something like this in 3DS MAX? I found the Spring option in MAX but the vertical edges come out 'wonky' and are not perfectly in-line with eachother.  It also wouldn't let me just have faces only and insisted it give me an extrusion even if set to Zero depth(it would give me double-faces on top of eachother(so I would have to delete the thickness, adding more steps). Any help would be much appreciated.

• christrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    christrom node
    Could someone take a really quick look at this problem I've encountered please? It is about using instances and zeroing out orientations. I made a very quick YouTube video to show what is happening as I figured that would be easier. Thanks :) 

https://youtu.be/uyRsxWVzeZE
  • Kaito_Mei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaito_Mei polycounter lvl 2
    christrom said:
    Could someone take a really quick look at this problem I've encountered please? It is about using instances and zeroing out orientations. I made a very quick YouTube video to show what is happening as I figured that would be easier. Thanks :) 
    I have tried replicating what you did in the video but it works fine for me. Maybe try resetting the pivot point(press D and then right click drag menu) and then aligning the pivot to object. I'm sharing my attempt of replicating your issue, if nothing works maybe try deleting your maya pref folder in documents (make a backup before deleting.) 
    https://youtu.be/ePXaJTYQK7I

• christrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    christrom node
    Kaito_Mei said:
    christrom said:
    I have tried replicating what you did in the video but it works fine for me. Maybe try resetting the pivot point(press D and then right click drag menu) and then aligning the pivot to object. I'm sharing my attempt of replicating your issue, if nothing works maybe try deleting your maya pref folder in documents (make a backup before deleting.) 
    https://youtu.be/ePXaJTYQK7I

Thanks very much for trying it out, I appreciate that. The difference is that I baked the pivot, so I could zero it out. It looks like your pivot isn't baked in your move settings. 
    When it isn't baked, there isn't a problem, but it means that it can't be zeroed. Thanks though, very kind of you.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    How would we get something like this in 3DS MAX? I found the Spring option in MAX but the vertical edges come out 'wonky' and are not perfectly in-line with eachother.  It also wouldn't let me just have faces only and insisted it give me an extrusion even if set to Zero depth(it would give me double-faces on top of eachother(so I would have to delete the thickness, adding more steps). Any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/helical-cylinder would be an option

• Pedrosian96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good afternoon! first time posting here. I've acquired my computer last month and have been immensely enjoying the world of 3D ever since.

[BLENDER]

Currently learning materials. I wanted to model some lab equipment, and when making an erlenmeyer flask, thought of selecting the inner side polygons, duplicating, then separating. I capped the top of the object this created, but when I attempt to render, this object is acting weird. (Cycles, GPU (GTX1050, I don't have my glorious rtx 4080 at work)).

For some reason, Projected shadow is pretty opaque. despite basically max transmission and subsurface, the shadows these project onto the flat surface below are opaque and dense when I expected a crystalline glass.

What might I be overlooking?

Thank you so much in advance. <3
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Good afternoon! first time posting here. I've acquired my computer last month and have been immensely enjoying the world of 3D ever since.

[BLENDER]

Currently learning materials. I wanted to model some lab equipment, and when making an erlenmeyer flask, thought of selecting the inner side polygons, duplicating, then separating. I capped the top of the object this created, but when I attempt to render, this object is acting weird. (Cycles, GPU (GTX1050, I don't have my glorious rtx 4080 at work)).

For some reason, Projected shadow is pretty opaque. despite basically max transmission and subsurface, the shadows these project onto the flat surface below are opaque and dense when I expected a crystalline glass.

What might I be overlooking?

Thank you so much in advance. <3

this is a thread about modelling. not sure where else to ask, maybe check inside the blender megathread? no clue really
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is so much to consider about the proper glass and fluid material etc.. you may have a look at this other forum BenderArtists.org: accurate-liquid-in-glass-rendering ?? ( sorry i didn't follow any thread here about this topic :wink:)
  • Kaito_Mei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaito_Mei polycounter lvl 2
    Hi, I'm not too clear on getting the proper shape transition. I'm sharing my attempts and problems I found, please have a look at them.I started of with quarter of 24 sides cylinder(6 sides) as I found easier to manipulate the overall shape but I was getting pinching or sharp edges. I believe I have to start with a higher polycount with the required curvature already established to avoid pinching or sharp edges but I'm not too keen on how to get the top transition detail with higher polys.

I would like to see your methods and techniques to create this model.
  • Tredgix_N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!
    I'm still working on improving my skills with SD mesh.
    The question at hand: Is this geometry at its best, or is there room for enhancement?
    Main form:

Added object:

After SD:

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's good, most of the edge flow of the cylinder is maintained. My only concern is the detail might be too sharp and not show up once baked. 
  • Tredgix_N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    It's good, most of the edge flow of the cylinder is maintained. My only concern is the detail might be too sharp and not show up once baked. 
    Thank you for your answer! 
    No problem at all. This model isn't for bake.
    Despite this, what do you think about the number of vertical loops? In my opinion, 72 loops for such cylinder is too much, but without them, the shading looks really ugly.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tredgix_N said:
    ZacD said:
    Thank you for your answer! 
    No problem at all. This model isn't for bake.
    Despite this, what do you think about the number of vertical loops? In my opinion, 72 loops for such cylinder is too much, but without them, the shading looks really ugly.
    There's a ton of mesh optimization info, in the previous 15 pages alone or check out the wiki or Frank's sketchbook

As an aside - working with dense high subd resolution geometry can be a challenge, unless you're familiar with the technique:
  • AFMZG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,I need your help,How should I wire it to achieve a smooth transition from sharp to smooth on this surface?
  • andy939
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andy939 polycounter lvl 5
    Hello, I have that kind of shape, and I do not know how to deal with it, how to add suport loop, especially in the marked place.
    there is so tight and no place for support loop. please help

• daibhid_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, I'm modeling some medical equipment and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to model in the screw ports on this curved surface as shown below. Any ideas would be amazing!!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Don't be afraid to use n gons and you can safely terminate or leave edges hanging on flat areas. 
  • daibhid_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    Don't be afraid to use n gons and you can safely terminate or leave edges hanging on flat areas. 

Thanks mate, I followed your advice and I think it worked out alright in the end!
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andy939 said:
    Hello, I have that kind of shape..
    Well.. this depends on the exact wanted look.. also since you are using blender (saw this also on another  discord..) the crease edges feature is quite powerfull.. (what you are already using..)

• andy939
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki said:
    andy939 said:
    Hello, I have that kind of shape..
    Well.. this depends on the exact wanted look.. also since you are using blender (saw this also on another  discord..) the crease edges feature is quite powerfull.. (what you are already using..)

I need something like this
    I am not satisfied with the effect, this "edge" it disappears too quickly, it should go all the way to the top.

Yes I sometime use crease edge, but I look like it needs high subD lvl for very tight bevel, and works best with equal polygon size, maybe i am wrong. I still trying make good topology for this.
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andy939 said:
    I am not satisfied with the effect, this "edge" it disappears too quickly, it should go all the way to the top.

Yes I sometime use crease edge, but I look like it needs high subD lvl for very tight bevel, and works best with equal polygon size, maybe i am wrong. I still trying make good topology for this.
    Ohh well then.. maybe make it less disappearring, not using creased edges and also being satisfied with  this bulge like shape because glass bottles (flacons for perfume) are mostly not this sharp ? (Maybe very expensive onces.. which i couldn't afford :wink: )  I guess it's not in this close-up to se in the final scene ??.. but again.. it depends ..  :wink: ..  .. ( .. <-- emojicons seems to be broken for me lately :shrug: ..)

• sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    andy939 said:
    ...it should go all the way to the top.
    Then the terminated region for that extruded shape must be quadified, alongside the use of existing geometry to support applicable hard edged topology.

i.e.

• andy939
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    andy939 said:
    ...it should go all the way to the top.
    Then the terminated region for that extruded shape must be quadified, alongside the use of existing geometry to support applicable hard edged topology.

I didn't even think that making a quad from this triangle would be so easy.
    I think i have something, what do you think about this topology ?

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh.. then this is your own design and you are free to make that problematic edgy corner into a curved corner connection..  well if someone would knew this in the first place..
  • andy939
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No it is not, I had this bottle in hends. As i mentioned before, I need selected edges bevel, the 'edge' where is triangle should be visible all way to the top and smooth transition to bevele.
    On the image is the base shape, and i wonder how to make good topology for this