Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Sims_doc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
    Hi! I'd like some advice on how to approach this edge flow. It's the forward sight post on a AK-47 and there's a tiny nook that is milled into the sloped area on one side of the sight post but, I'm unable to come to a good solution that is still a quad and connects the sloped area to the flat area while still keeping the highlighted edges hard.

I believe what, I have right now should work functionally but i'd like to know if there's a better way around this?
  • FrankPolygon
    Online / Send Message
    FrankPolygon quad damage
    @martianlion Modeling the complex shapes of cabinet inlays flat then deforming them into shape can be a good option. A lot depends on what the final model will be used for and how accurate the details need to be. A couple of other options would be to use floating geometry or to create a clean high poly of the basic shape and do a sculpting pass on it in ZBrush. Maybe someone else has some other ideas about how to add repetitive surface details quickly and efficiently?

@JBurk You're welcome. No worries, you're doing well, it's all good.

@cookedpeanut Categorizing them by shape and making them visually searchable is something I've been looking at. Another thing I've been considering (if there's interest) is a high resolution collection of just the final cage meshes with their unsmoothed / smoothed wire-frames and subdivision previews.

What you came up with for the scroll looks pretty good. Depending on where the soft areas are you might be able to add a couple of support loops to sharpen it up and end the loops in a triangle or n-gon without effecting the surrounding shapes. Depends on what the overall goals for the project are and how closely the model will be viewed.

@komissar Welcome to Polycount. Consider checking out the forum information and introduction thread.

A couple of pages back in this thread are a few discussions about similar topics that may have the answers you're looking for. There's a lot of knowledge in this thread, posted by many different artists, so it's definitely worth the time to skim through the thread and look at how other artists have solved similar issues.

Here's a few links to get you started: On page 177 there's a discussion where Wirrexx demonstrates how to use floating geometry to simplify complex surface geometry. On page 178 Sacboi provides another example of how floating geometry can be used on a variety of shapes and surfaces. A couple of posts down from that Welcj asked a similar question about handling excess support loops on flat surfaces. One of the answers to this question covers using triangles and n-gons to reduce mesh complexity on flat surfaces.

@Sims_doc If there isn't a specific technical reason the mesh needs to be all quads then there's often marginal benefit to investing a significant amount of time into manually generating quad grid geometry on flat surfaces. If there were any smoothing artifacts then it would be worth considering whether or not they're visible to players under normal viewing conditions.

The mesh in the upper right corner of your first image looks fine but some of the excess loops on the flat areas could be removed to simplify the cage mesh. The rest of the topology layouts look like they should work but make sure the side of the front post is supported with edge loops like it is in the mesh in the upper right corner.

Avoiding unnecessary mesh complexity will increase the editiability of the cage mesh and flat surfaces can be a good place to end edge loop segments. In most cases: if the mesh is properly supported, has good edge flow and subdivides without causing any major smoothing artifacts then it should be passable.
  • komissar

@komissar Welcome to Polycount. Consider checking out the forum information and introduction thread.

A couple of pages back in this thread are a few discussions about similar topics that may have the answers you're looking for. There's a lot of knowledge in this thread, posted by many different artists, so it's definitely worth the time to skim through the thread and look at how other artists have solved similar issues.

Here's a few links to get you started: On page 177 there's a discussion where Wirrexx demonstrates how to use floating geometry to simplify complex surface geometry. On page 178 Sacboi provides another example of how floating geometry can be used on a variety of shapes and surfaces. A couple of posts down from that Welcj asked a similar question about handling excess support loops on flat surfaces. One of the answers to this question covers using triangles and n-gons to reduce mesh complexity on flat surfaces.

Thanx a lot, Frank! Will check it out!
  • Grim06666

I want to create a polygroup of the alpha using the slice curve, but theres no drag rectangle option. Is there another way to do this or maybe I'm missing something.
  • komissar
    wirrexx said:
    To add too  @FrankPolygon post, a lot of you guys forget that you can use floaters, saves time and is less hassley.

* Create your shape
    * Loops around the area you want to panel
    * Copy the face you want and "intrude", create support edges (depends on how hard you want them
    * turbosmooth x 2 and you have the results =)

I made a softer version but you can easily go harder on the edges

Great Idea!
    But if floater will have some thickness and contain any panel breaks (inner extrusions), will they overlapped with the main shape and disappear in it?
    Or I just don't get it well?

• Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer greentooth
    @Sims_doc Hope this helps, it's quads only.

And this is a solution for another problem posted, but with different bevel radius.

• G0056
    I'm trying to model the receiver of a double barrel shotgun, and I'm struggling with this tricky zone, any tips to model this shape? Btw, I'm using blender (and I'll probably use zbrush and zremesher to create the high poly if necesary)

Examples:

My model right now:

I tried doing the rest of the receiver first, and then using a round cube to create the shape, but it didn't work well. How could be the best way to approach that shape?
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi quad damage
    Check out previous advice offered by @FrankPolygon & @wirrexx

Although, personally I'd boolean the main shapes first, when blocking out then optimised mid poly chamfer workflow for detailing.  
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi quad damage
    komissar said:
    Hi there!
    Seems that my question will be too nooby, but I'll try ) 

Is there any elegant way to resolve topology of supporting edges here without adding too dense geometry around this area?
    Or I just need to do some smoothing iterations to get more geometry to work with?
    What is the right approach in this case?
    Thanks in advance and have a nice day ahead!

Learn too work with existing geometry as supports when for instance introducing alternate axis aligned transitioning topology, there are many examples already posted over the last 5 pages alone. 
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx interpolator
    @sacboi <-- what this man is saying, many examples over the pages. Please use these. @FrankPolygon has been continously working hard showing what one can do.
  • rogi92
    Hey have nice day : )
    Please, how i need fix the topology to get rid of this pinching?
    Thank you . )

• FrankPolygon
    Online / Send Message
    FrankPolygon quad damage
    @rogi92 Welcome to Polycount.Consider checking out the forum information and introduction thread.

Pinching around shape intersections on cylinders is a common problem that's discussed a number of times in this thread. On the previous page there's an answer to a similar question and on page 177 there's another discussion about adding square shapes to cylinders.

Take a look at the answers there and try applying them to your shape. If you run into any other problems post here with an explanation of what the problem is, what solutions you have tried and what results you'd like to achieve.

This thread is a great resource to see how other artists have solved similar smoothing problems. It's definitely worth the time to skim through and look for examples of similar shapes.

Floating geometry is placed above the surface of the mesh so any indented areas won't poke through the underlying geometry. There's different strategies for blending the shapes together and sometimes it's appropriate to leave a hole in the underlying mesh and pass the floating geometry through it. In cases like this the floating geometry will have a flange around it that covers the hole so there won't be any baking artifacts. The Polycount wiki has a small section on floating geometry.

To add to what Sacboi has already recommended: here's a couple of additional examples that are relevant to this shape adding intersecting cylinders to spheres and blending rounded shapes into rectangles.

A good place to start would be to block out the basic shape of the ball fences (at the end of the breech) with a couple of spheres and adjust the number of segments until it all lines up with the rest of the geometry in the adjacent parts. Merge the shapes down, fill in the top portion and carve out a hole for the top lever and blend in the firing pin ports.

Take a look at the recommended examples then try blocking out the shapes and connecting the geometry as best you can and post the results. This way we can provide more specific feedback on any issue you encounter with this particular shape.
  • komissar

Thanx a lot, Frank! Will check it out!
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer greentooth
    @rogi92 this have been explained several times, but i understand that searching 181 pages is a nuisance XD

With curved surfaces it's a must to add more geometry and if possible, to have a "quad grid" topology to avoid artifacts and tension issues. Here's an example:

Also, avoid edge propagation and don't add edge loops that will destroy the curvature.

• Toby3D
    Online / Send Message
    Toby3D polycounter lvl 5

I'm not really experienced with booleans yet, but trying to play around a bit with them. The middle piece is what I used on a simple thin cube to carve out a hole, but I'm not sure how to clean it up as efficient as possible, is A, B or C fine, or is there a better way? Any good rules when working with booleans? 
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx interpolator
    Toby3D said:

I'm not really experienced with booleans yet, but trying to play around a bit with them. The middle piece is what I used on a simple thin cube to carve out a hole, but I'm not sure how to clean it up as efficient as possible, is A, B or C fine, or is there a better way? Any good rules when working with booleans? 
    If this is LP, all of them work. However UE4, Unity does not like long small triangles, in my experience. A modified version of C with less "long" triangles would be my choice.

• rogi92
    Have nice day everyone,

please i need you help guys,

Im stuck here, i dont know how to start can you give me idea?

Is good to start with cylinder and edit poly by poly to get the shape or is better to make the shape first and at last make the cylinder shape?

Thank you for tips guys.

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx interpolator
    rogi92 said:
    Have nice day everyone,

Is good to start with cylinder and edit poly by poly to get the shape or is better to make the shape first and at last make the cylinder shape?

Thank you for tips guys.

Tip of the day: firstly show us what you got. If you have not started, there's another possibility! =)
    Draw how you would imagine the wireframe to be over that piece! =)
  • PixelMagic
    Hey folks. I am trying to finish this model. I know I can just boolean in the windows and call it done, but in the name of learning proper toplogy, I am trying to keep the model Sub-D all the way to final. Thing is, the windows pretty much go against the flow of the rest of the surrounding surface. Any recommendations on how to connect everything up? I have included FBX and OBJ of the model as well if that helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znziyuu2f76ms4k/queenship_windows.FBX?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbhbxv3nuaa2953/queens_ship_windows.obj?dl=0

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi quad damage
    @PixelMagic  I'd recommend looking this, it's honestly the best solution for your issue.
    https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2724988#Comment_2724988
  • rogi92
    wirrexx said:
    rogi92 said:
    Have nice day everyone,

Thank you for tips guys.

Tip of the day: firstly show us what you got. If you have not started, there's another possibility! =)
    Draw how you would imagine the wireframe to be over that piece! =)
    Hello, 
    sorry for delay i was off.Actually i just started and i have this:https://imgur.com/QtGur7f
    But im dont know how to make perfect round shape as you can see on the picture.
    How i can do that?
    Thank you.
  • PixelMagic
    sacboi said:
    @PixelMagic  I'd recommend looking this, it's honestly the best solution for your issue.
    @PixelMagic To add to what Sacboi has already covered and recommended: there's been a few recent discussions about subdivision topology and adding details with booleans...

Thank you for that detailed explanation. The effort is appreciated. Having said that, even after looking at your examples, I simply cannot do it. I think I'm going to have to just accept that doing proper Sub-Ds on the Queen's ship is simply beyond my abilities right now. Nothing I do, nothing I try, nothing I think of, will avoid pinching in one way or another. Especially once I get to triple edging to hold the edges of the window frames sharp. There are simply not enough spans to run those to. I get overwhelmed with n-gons or tris. Maybe one day I'll be good enough to be able to do it.
  • PixelMagic
    sacboi said:
    @PixelMagic To add to what Sacboi has already covered and recommended: there's been a few recent discussions about subdivision topology and adding details with booleans. ..
    Thank you for that detailed explanation. The effort is appreciated. Having said that, even after looking at your examples, I simply cannot do it. I think I'm going to have to just accept that doing proper Sub-Ds on the Queen's ship is simply beyond my abilities right now. Nothing I do, nothing I try, nothing I think of, will avoid pinching in one way or another. Especially once I get to triple edging to hold the edges of the window frames sharp. There are simply not enough spans to run those to. I get overwhelmed with n-gons or tris. Maybe one day I'll be good enough to be able to do it.
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani greentooth
    @PixelMagic Even if the way Frank show would be doable, if you have more details in other directions and other sizes it will become such a huge pain to do it that is not worthed. You can see this youtube video on sacboi link to and older discussion in this thread. And is possible the best solution for this problem, Also you can do a retopogy before you project it to the base surface so you have loops running in the directions that you need.   

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani greentooth
    Trying to get make a nut that dosen't have any bending, those first 4 you can see the problem I am talking about, by connecting the 6 sides with the round one you end up with polygons that are not flat with results in some bend.

This one I made using loft/bridge and adjusting how the 2 surfaces will blend, also had do to some manual adjustments on the tips of the 6 sides. I can't see any bending in this one but it's a bit of cumbersome way to do it. So what technique do you guys use for it, show your nut!

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi quad damage
    sacboi said:
    @PixelMagic To add to what Sacboi has already covered and recommended: there's been a few recent discussions about subdivision topology and adding details with booleans. ..
    Hi there,
    I can relate to exactly what you're going through, subd modeling may at the best of times seem like a 'science' when an apparently unsolvable problem crops up but in the main I personally find a fairly straightforward method to implement an envisioned goal, especially for most hard surface objects. I mean, what mostly works for me at least, was asking myself *why* did this issue arise in the first place?! and what could I've done better and/or might have somewhat prevented occurring?!

So at a glance, just using your model as an example, any number of techniques we've shared with some forethought on your behalf will provide a workable solution. Now the only other advice I'd suggest, is reviewing Ali Ismail's work generating automotive content via polygonal workflows which may be of interest in particular - Modeling Cars in Polygons  over at Ebal Studios. There's a ton of insight that helped me resolve similar problems in the past.      
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer greentooth
    @Udjani the second model is the best for me. That's how i have modelled the nuts i use as floaters.

This is the way i solve too many things instead of using booleans, with mesh constraints or mesh projections. I just need to move the nut base mesh to obtain the slope angle desired. Here's the example:

And different approaches using different level of details. With more polygons we have better results, but i prefer a smoother look, more natural and with less polygons. I optimize the mesh using pentagons and triangles. The shading on the slope is pretty nice, and the cap is cleaner.

• FrankPolygon
    Online / Send Message
    FrankPolygon quad damage
    @AntBay If the manually placed edge loops need to wrap around the bottom of the shapes then the topology structure of the base mesh will need to be changed so it redirects the edge loop around all of the corners and down along the bottom edge. Below is an example of what this process could look like.

Here's a simplified comparison of the two topology layouts. It's also worth looking at alternate ways of adding support loops and round over features with different tools. The last column in this example shows that a bevel / chamfer operation will create the same topology on both layouts and it also provides a more consistent result than manually placing individual support loops.

The topology layout and modeling process can be further simplified by blocking out the basic shapes, rounding the corners with a bevel / chamfer operation, cutting in coarse support geometry and generating the final support loops with a bevel / chamfer modifier.

This modeling strategy also works if the bottom of the shape needs a specific profile. Just add the shape profile and let the bevel / chamfer modifier handle the rest of the support loops on the sharper areas.

Recap:
    Adjust the topology flow at the most basic level (during the block out) and add the complex surface details onto that. Look for alternate tools and modeling strategies that will reduce the amount of time spent manually placing support loops while also increasing the overall consistency of the support loop edge width.

• AntBay
    @FrankPolygon Wow, thanks for the amazing response. The images are greatly appreciated. I will experiment and try out the different methods.
    Thanks once again!
  • MegaSofteae
    Hello everyone, I hadn't noticed this discussion post until now! I'm struggling with 3d modeling in general, I'm not sure where I should be improving. I wanna model but when I'm on it, there are a lot of questions that come  into my mind. I do experiment, but there are more especific questions such as: Once i've added the support loops, is it safe to unwrap the model, I feel like the wireframe is a mess. Support loops that interfere with smoothing, making areas which should be smooth, really sharp.

I wanna model a hori hori knife, but I think that's too much complexity for now. For now I'm trying to model a knife

Reference:

For now I'm focusing in the blade. it will go inside the handle so I don't have to worry about the handle part yet. 

I'm having trouble with the top part, since the top part has holes these loops wil have to end somewhere, so I'm thinking in putting them in the blade part, but these will intervene with the sharp subdivision that the blade needs. This is before using a shell modifier. Subdividing this, I think it would interfere with the sharpness of the blade. I might have done this wrong, how should I approach this?

Model Obj download

Thanks in advance! Cheers!
  • MegaSofteae
    @FrankPolygon
    Hello! I wanted to thank you! The careful explanation is really appreciated! There are a lot of things I didn't take into consideration and was confused!

Once I'm done with the blade, I will check the grip!
    Thank you! :D
  • rogi92
    Hello everyone,
    excuse me if there's already something like this.
    How is the best method do model this piece?
    Thank you masters : )
  • rogi92
    @rogi92 Which approach is best will often depend on the specifics of a project's technical requirements. There's a lot of ways to approach modeling this part but there's also a lot of different factors that can influence modeling strategy decisions. Broad, open ended questions lack the context required to provide meaningful feedback. As Wirrexx has already mentioned: it's important to show the results of the modeling attempt and explain what may have gone wrong or what areas need to be improved.

A good place to start would be to analyze the reference image, break the part down into basic shapes and come up with a couple of topology routing strategies to connect the individual shapes. Once the form of the object is understood: it's generally considered best practice to start the modeling process by blocking out the primary shapes (matching geometry segments whenever possible) before adding minor surface details and support loops. The modeling process itself doesn't always require a set order of operations so it just comes down to learning how to use the tools and balancing shape accuracy with process efficiency.

Below is an example of what a basic modeling process and topology layout could look like. All basic inset and extrude operations with support loops generated by a bevel / chamfer modifier. The topology layout in this example has separate loop paths around each through hole feature.

This is just one example and there's a number of different ways to approach modeling the part in question. Whether or not one is better than another is something that can't really be answered without asking more specific questions or exploring different modeling and topology strategies and comparing the results.

Here's an alternate topology layout with a single loop path around the outside of the part. Comparing the topology layouts of each base mesh: the one above provides a clear path around each through hole but doesn't provide a clean path around the perimeter of the combined shape and it doesn't provide a clear path across the join between the large cylinder and the small tab. (This minor issue could be solved by splitting the mesh across the middle of the tab and filling the gap.) The one below provides a clear path around the perimeter of the combined shapes and across the join between the large cylinder and the tab but doesn't provide a clean path around the through holes.

Which layout makes more sense depends on which areas need to be sharpened and what tools are used to generate the support loops. Bevel / chamfer and inset operations can add support loops around both of these topology layouts without running into any major issues but individual loop cuts could run into potential routing problems that may require manual cleanup.

There's also the issue of optimal geometry density: it's possible to reduce the number of segments in the larger cylinder to simplify the mesh but that would also decrease the overall shape accuracy and require more creative topology routing to connect the two shapes. Since the top surface is mostly flat this shouldn't cause any major smoothing issues but it would disrupt the edge flow around the shapes. The disruption of the edge flow (in the base mesh) isn't a major issue if the support loops are added with a bevel / chamfer operation but it could cause issues if the support loops needed to be added with other tools.

So whether or not one is better than the other depends entirely on what factors are at play. It all comes down to project goals, resource constraints, technical constraints and personal preference.

It's also important to invest in self development so it's definitely worth the time to research how other artists have solved similar problems, apply this information by experimenting with different topology strategies and asking for feedback on specific issues encountered along the way.
    Thank you for your help and the information, I really appreciate it.
    It help me a lot.
    I will keep those information in mind.
    Again many thanks.
    Rob :)
  • Daf57
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,
    Is there any way to get a straight, even, consistent edge loop from this mesh? You can see the topo in the first image - the 2nd image is after removing the unwanted faces. It's a predictable outcome  - just wondering if there's a way to create a usable loop for extruding straight back (like cylinder). If not I guess I'll have to retopo, right?
    Thanks!
    Daf

• Iaido
    Offline / Send Message
    Iaido polycounter lvl 9
    Daf57 said:
    Hi,
    Is there any way to get a straight, even, consistent edge loop from this mesh? You can see the topo in the first image - the 2nd image is after removing the unwanted faces. It's a predictable outcome  - just wondering if there's a way to create a usable loop for extruding straight back (like cylinder). If not I guess I'll have to retopo, right?
    Thanks!
    Daf

Most tools have a knife tool. I would go into your side view and cut a line from the top of the head to the bottom. It should cut through, this will give you a straight edge loops, but be careful as this will also give you a lot of ngons and triangles. 
  • Daf57
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey thanks, Iaido! I did try it with the knife and it just made a big mess - ngons and tris like you said. I'll just do the retopo - it will be better anyway. :)
    Thanks again!
    Daf

• aregvan
    Offline / Send Message
    aregvan polycounter lvl 5
    Hi all,
    I cannot for the life of me figure out how to have a perfect round silhouette and quads for subdividing, at the same time. Is there a simple way of doing this?

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx interpolator
    aregvan said:
    Hi all,
    I cannot for the life of me figure out how to have a perfect round silhouette and quads for subdividing, at the same time. Is there a simple way of doing this?

You could start with a 32 sided cylinder. Or model it flat and bend it with a modifier. Last tips is to use a proxy mesh and skinwrap  your object to the proxy mesh
  • aregvan
    Offline / Send Message
    aregvan polycounter lvl 5
    @wirrexx 
    @Blaizer

Thanks for the help guys! Seems pentagons aren't so bad afterall.
  • AhmedAtheek
    hey,
    I'm trying to create this type of cut on a cylinder but I cant figure out how to get rid of the wierd pinching effect I'm getting and retain the same curvature of the cylinder.

• Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer greentooth
    @AhmedAtheek to get rid of pinching artifacts, you just need to use more geometry, like i pointed out in my previous reply to aregvan.
  • LoneRanger
    Offline / Send Message
    LoneRanger polycounter lvl 3
    How to connect it properly in my HP model? I've tried various ways but there is always some shading problems (surface is not smooth, there are little bumps etc.). When I add more horizontal edges to those vertices inside this big n-gon my cylinder is no round anymore.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi quad damage
    @LoneRanger
    Check out rule of thumb via intrusion shape cuts for curved surfaces, 4 posts above yours by @Blaizer - i.e. holes in cylinders.
  • Sims_doc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, Folks! I am working on a "OTs-14 Groza" hybrid and I'm currently polishing the carry handle but there is a persistent problem that is hampering me. This is an example, I've WIP up that is what effective highlights the issue that i am having.

The area that I've created next to the main rail is how, I think it looks on the reference itself however many of the other references that I've seen seem to lack this nook, which is the part that isn't rounded is what i've got so far. I think they may be airsoft.

I'd just like to get someones opinion on how i should approach modeling this nook