Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Just make one strip and instance that to make the rest of it, you'll have full control over the topology and tightness of the bevels and only be editing a very simple piece of quad geometry.
  • NodrawNT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NodrawNT polycounter lvl 6
    just champfer/bevel the selecteds edge with more steps
    here i did 1 to 5 total loops, so you have enough supporting geo, but you will need to clean up the intersections

Thanks ! I'll take a bit more time to study how to do it, I never struggled so much with modeling before ... I feel rusty
  • DrawingCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I’ve got no idea how to approach making complex clothing. I would assume most people would make a simple garment and then add a texture for the design of the specific clothing but is there a more specific technique if I wanted to make this dress? 

Such as lace that allows the skin to be seen through it?
    I can only assume I’d have to model the lace, or it would be some complex node tree?

using blender btw but I’m open to other software too
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Alan314 said:
    Hey guys, first time trying to model anything subtle like this without resorting to sculpting right away, I'd really appreciate some help!  My attempt has failed because the helmet's very smooth and curvy and I'm essentially clueless on how to approach these things. 

My try:

The model I'm trying to make is essentially this:

To simplify the modeling process, I'd suggest starting with a sub divided cube since edge or vertex sliding over a curved surface will maintain this object's spherical shape, especially during the blocking out phase.

This example was generated, using the Bevel Modifier alongside edge weights for surface hard edge / creasing.

Workflow:

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    I’ve got no idea how to approach making complex clothing. I would assume most people would make a simple garment and then add a texture for the design of the specific clothing but is there a more specific technique if I wanted to make this dress? 

I can only assume I’d have to model the lace, or it would be some complex node tree?

the dress itself is pretty easy geometry wise
    and for the pattern you would use a texture with an alpha map for the see through part
  • Alan314
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alan314 polycounter lvl 2
    sacboi said:
    Alan314 said:
    Hey guys, first time trying to model anything subtle like this without resorting to sculpting right away, I'd really appreciate some help!  My attempt has failed because the helmet's very smooth and curvy and I'm essentially clueless on how to approach these things. 

My try:

The model I'm trying to make is essentially this:

To simplify the modeling process, I'd suggest starting with a sub divided cube since edge or vertex sliding over a curved surface will maintain this object's spherical shape, especially during the blocking out phase.

This example was generated, using the Bevel Modifier alongside edge weights for surface hard edge / creasing.

Workflow:

This is frigging awesome brother, thank you! I really appreciate it :D
  • DrawingCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

the dress itself is pretty easy geometry wise
    and for the pattern you would use a texture with an alpha map for the see through part
    Oh so that’s it? Just an alpha map? I don’t know anything about different maps and stuff with textures 
  • PsychShade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beforehand, this is not so much about how to model a weird shape, but about how to approach modelling a piece I'm not 100% sure about, so apologies if this is not the right place to ask.

Hey guys, so I've not much experience with 3D overall, but I was asked to tackle the modelling part of a group project since I was the only one who had any idea at all. I managed so far to make a decent-ish base mesh for a character, and started doing its armor but I've hit a wall since I'm not sure how to proceed regarding 3d modeling for a videogame character.

I did the main piece of the chest armor, but the armor itself has a bunch of pieces overlapping it, like a couple metal plates and a gem of sorts on top.

The part I'm not sure about is how to approach different parts of a single object, Am I supposed to make a separate objects for every single piece, have every separate piece in the chest object but in separate meshes, or have it all stitched together somehow in the same mesh?

Apologies for the poor topology on the last image, did a quick hack to illustrate having the pieces stitched together in the same mesh instead of separate meshes. If it was for a personal sculpt or a sketch I'd probably just have separate objects and move on, but since i'ts meant to be a character for a small videogame, I'm not sure on how to proceed.
  • sacboi
  • NodrawNT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NodrawNT polycounter lvl 6
    Hello thank you all for your help ! I thought I was done with this shape but I think I have a shading problem. I don't get how this is possible since the geometry looks very clean, any ideas ?

• borealis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everybody!
    I was trying to model this detail. This is what i did. I made the curvature by dragging vertices up and down, and of course it hasn't  given an ideal result. Is there any other way to make this ? i tried NURBS but it wasn't even close to the shape.

• byas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    byas node
    NodrawNT said:
    Hello thank you all for your help ! I thought I was done with this shape but I think I have a shading problem. I don't get how this is possible since the geometry looks very clean, any ideas ?

problem with uvmap?
    try cubic
    i think u solve in this manner
  • FrankPolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    @borealis When working with intersecting compound curves it's generally considered best practice to rely on tools, primitives and modifiers to generate geometry with a consistent curvature and segment spacing. It's also helpful to block out the shapes before adding support loops and secondary details since this makes it easier to resolve major topology flow issues at the lowest possible level of complexity.

There's a few different ways to approach modeling the shapes and routing the topology but an important part of the process is matching the segments in the intersecting geometry to the existing geometry in the adjacent shapes. Blocking out all of the major surface features at the same time provides a bit more flexibility since most of the shapes can be adjusted. Adding major shapes later on in the modeling process tends to reduce some of this flexibility which often means compromising on mesh density or a bit more manual cleanup.

For these kind of complex shape intersections it's often helpful to block out the shapes with basic primitives and boolean operations. When used properly there should be minimal manual cleanup and most of the support loops can be generated with a bevel / chamfer operation.

Below is an example of what this process could look like with a fixed number of segments in the rounded shape transition on the top of the larger cylindrical shape. Start by positioning a UV sphere over the cut out. Adjust the number of segments and rings in the sphere to roughly match the existing edge loops in the underlying geometry. Flatten the sphere and continue to make adjustments until the boolean cut out matches the approximate shape of the cut out in the reference image.

Continue adding primitives and matching the segments to the surrounding geometry until the rest of the surface features are complete. Merge down any stray geometry and adjust the topology flow while minimizing or averaging out the distortion of the geometry that defines the perimeter of each shape. Cut in major support loops around the flat areas to preserve the underlying shape when subdivision is applied. Use a bevel / chamfer operation or modifier to generate the minor support loops around the shapes and shape transitions.

When adding major shape details to a mesh that's well beyond the block out stage it can be difficult to get all of the support loops to line up exactly. Subdivision modeling is an inherently approximate process so there's always tradeoffs between shape accuracy (mesh complexity) and efficiency. There's diminishing returns to time spent manually resolving a mesh to all quads so in this example there's a few triangles left in the mesh. As long as these triangles aren't causing any major smoothing issues then there's really no sense in spending a significant amount of time removing them. Especially if doing so would artificially increase the overall complexity of the base mesh.

Here's another example of the same shape where the segment counts on both the round over and the spherical cut out were adjusted to match each other. On this mesh it was much easier to resolve everything to quads without having to make a lot of manual adjustments. Working through the major shape intersections during the block out stage provides a lot more flexibility when adjusting things because all of the support loops and connecting geometry grids aren't in the way.

There's still some areas where the topology flow could be improved but again there's diminishing returns and the reduced segment count in the rounded shape transition has introduced a bit more shape distortion than is desirable. At the end of the day both meshes produce usable results so it's all about making effective use of time by choosing the right tradeoffs for the project.

Recap:
    Block out all of the major forms and resolve all of the major topology issues before adding support loops and minor surface details. Use primitive shapes and modeling tools to generate compound curves that have a consistent geometry distribution. Match the segments of the intersecting shape with the existing geometry of the underlying mesh to preserve shape accuracy and reduce the amount of manual cleanup required. Simplify the mesh and reduce manual work by offloading repetitive tasks (like generating minor support loops) to tool operators and editable modifiers.
  • Dks13632725
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dks13632725 polycounter lvl 3

I want that specific shapes from right one. left is my work How do I make that shapes from RIght one? I want that front shapes
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    If you dont want to start from scratch you could use the first 2 steps of what frankpolygon suggest and conform your points to that form either manually or with something like shrink wrap or any other tool that snap verts to surface this way you dont have to match edge loop just need the proper size form .Red part is part of sphere/shallow spherical form green one is tapering cylinder , you will need 1 more edge loop to define the green form If you fix and the 2 pinched areas you be golden

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any idea on how to model this arm joint? Very challenging merge, I've tried crazy methods but looks like I won't escape manual retopo here and its going to take me time anyway.

Help... I'm Stuck,
    Full reference pictures and more detail here.
    :)
    You're on the right track but less soft edged 'organic' forms which I think boils down to misinterpreting references although fairly common to make since lighting can often deceive the eye in terms of shading, as to whether surfaces at a glance are concave or convex transitions, to begin with. Anyway the tendency in most instances, where possible, is reliance on the silhouette when viewed from various angles to help define an object's overall structure, especially while blocking out certain tricky details.

Now I'm away from my PC so unable to provide an example solution however this thread is a veritable goldmine to exploit and in turn I'll suggest this strategy dealing with complex angular shapes, that may prove useful:

• Clup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everybody!
    So I was trying to model this eleven tooth drive sprocket and I've tried a couple approaches. The first one was to try and start from the outer circle for which I made a cylinder with 33 subdivisions since it matched the step of the teeth (1 face = 1 tooth, 2 faces = distance between them). My intention was to somehow extrude the remaining shapes from the ring but I abandoned the idea since it looked overcomplicated and I thought there was an easier way to do it. So I started modeling the part inside of the ring. The next plan was to combine this part with the outer one with a boolean. But then I thought maybe I should leave them separate and just bake one lowpoly part over them? This was the first question.
    The second one is how can make the inner part efficiently with a better looking wireframe since it looks horrible to me. And it took me two or even more hours to make with all this edgeloop inserting and cleaning up which is quite long for such a detail as it seems to me.

P. S. English is not my native language so excuse me if I've made some mistakes
  • borealis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @FrankPolygon this is what i did after your very detailed explanation. THANKS, DUDE!!! Well, i know, that's not ideal topology, but anyway for the first work i think that's not very bad. I'm satisfied. And again, thank you! :))

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    borealis said:
     i know, that's not ideal topology, but
    Worry less about how the raw topology looks, and worry about "how does it look when it sub-divides?" since that's your main goal.

If it sub-d's fine, the underlying topology does not matter much.
  • borealis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    borealis said:
     i know, that's not ideal topology, but
    Worry less about how the raw topology looks, and worry about "how does it look when it sub-divides?" since that's your main goal.

If it sub-d's fine, the underlying topology does not matter much.
    Oh, yeah, I needed to hear this :D
  • mr3ddesigner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys,
    I would like to model a chair in order to complete my test assignment on CGTrader Wildcat.But the problem is I coudn't really find the best way on how to model the seat with all that wrinkles and creases.Let me know what you think about this.Thanks

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show us your attempt?!

In my opinion generating realistic wrinkles / creases effectively, would rely upon either a cloth sim or sculpting workflow.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clup said:
    Hello everybody!
    So I was trying to model this eleven tooth drive sprocket and I've tried a couple approaches. The first one was to try and start from the outer circle for which I made a cylinder with 33 subdivisions since it matched the step of the teeth (1 face = 1 tooth, 2 faces = distance between them). My intention was to somehow extrude the remaining shapes from the ring but I abandoned the idea since it looked overcomplicated and I thought there was an easier way to do it. So I started modeling the part inside of the ring. The next plan was to combine this part with the outer one with a boolean. But then I thought maybe I should leave them separate and just bake one lowpoly part over them? This was the first question.
    The second one is how can make the inner part efficiently with a better looking wireframe since it looks horrible to me. And it took me two or even more hours to make with all this edgeloop inserting and cleaning up which is quite long for such a detail as seems to me.
    Looks good to me, you've achieved accuracy whilst there's some minor shading errors at the bases of the outer tooth ring however alongside the inner part, regardless of it's perceived inefficient topology, this object should as a whole bake down fine.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Hello guys,
    I would like to model a chair in order to complete my test assignment on CGTrader Wildcat.But the problem is I coudn't really find the best way on how to model the seat with all that wrinkles and creases.Let me know what you think about this.Thanks

althought you should post your progress first, heres how you could do it
    cloth modifier blender, simple settings, pin middle and outside loop, play around with the settings
    randomizing the mesh a little bit will bring some variation
    you could also play around with mesh density and placement to get better results

• mr3ddesigner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys,

althought you should post your progress first, heres how you could do it
    cloth modifier blender, simple settings, pin middle and outside loop, play around with the settings
    randomizing the mesh a little bit will bring some variation
    you could also play around with mesh density and placement to get better results

Thank you for sharing your own progress,
    What I have done yet,Used the cloth modifier but didn't get any good results.in the other hand,I think editing meshes manually is a kind of time wasting,So I was looking for if there is another method which is more suitable for this type of modeling (I work in 3ds Max)Thanks again for doing this
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I have done yet,Used the cloth modifier but didn't get any good results.in the other hand,I think editing meshes manually is a kind of time wasting,So I was looking for if there is another method which is more suitable for this type of modeling (I work in 3ds Max)
    Why not just post your findings, then? perhaps someone with prior knowledge in your app of choice will share a workaround fix or possible solution!

And nothing wrong using whatever technique that comes too hand, It's the end result that matters.

Preferably for full control, I'd vouch for manual editing rather than procedural.
  • JaYcin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JaYcin3d polycounter lvl 2
    how can I go about fixing the topology, I did create the primary shape first then I boolean the shape out, I had to move the geometry to fix the boolean please keep in mind I'm fairly new to modelling this is my first attempt at a big model, been working on this model for about 2 months 

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was going to model an example (...still might if time permits, alongside posting a result as well) utilizing a mainly non-destructive subd approach. Probably either Boolean - Bevel modifiers + weighted normals or Shrinkwrap - mesh data transfer technique?!

But since I'm sensing you're more concerned with how the base mesh / cage edge flow is actually uniformly layed out, then I think
    Andrew Hogson  will more than suffice illustrating the basics than I could ever share, on top of those insights you'd already researched thus far.

NOTE: Following links, were split off of this recent relevant discussion - Topology standards for hard surface modeling?

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nrqDX - Modeling Blogs 1-5 in Maya
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ynde5 - Sub D Film Production Kit

EDIT:
    Anyhow, the solid shaded images in your other thread depict no noticeable shading artifacts, hence my assumption behind your initial query.

"If an object shades without throwing errors, then all good"

Moar info:
  • Zoddo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5

If you are going to make clothing you should use Marvelous Designer or Cloi3D.
    However you could also do this in Blender, but it would probably take up a lot more time.
    There you would make the garment (model) and make the pattern (material/textures) in other software like Substance Painter or Quixel Mixer.
  • carlbat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlbat polycounter lvl 6
    Regards polycounters, i know the exercise has been resolved, but i am practice in this models.
    what do you think.
    3dsmax, vray & Substance Painter.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hmm...lighting is blown out a bit?

Otherwise, as for your object in question, the only issue in my opinion is with those milled, stamped or ejected casting holes for fasteners manufactured into the circular extruded lip are obviously proportionally off which in turn makes the protruding walls way to thin to be mechanically considered realistic / plausible.

Basically when compared with your earlier OP reference:

Or indeed followup critique offered by @FrankPolygon

• aregvan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aregvan polycounter lvl 7
    Hello. I am having trouble figuring out the best approach to these booleans on this vortex spitfire scope.

I feel something is missing to make it match the references. That first cut doesn't seem to have the right shape/angle.
    For angled shapes like these, what is the best approach?

Some references

Thanks as always!
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need dense curvature to cut those indents or in other words, moar geometry for your cylinders plus looks as if the thickness is out too...specifically for that graduated angled slope between the parallax turrets mid scope?!

Edit:
    High segment counts will generally result in better shape resolution.

A similar example:

• PurpleSwag666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PurpleSwag666 polycounter lvl 3
    How should I deal with this problem?
  • aregvan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aregvan polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the input, @sacboi
    I kept the cylinder at 32 sides, but it seems after more meddling that a higher count would be better. Regardless, it is always these initial cuts that block me from moving forward.
  • byas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    byas node
    try this

• franman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    franman polycounter lvl 13

The circle on the left is Circle001 followed by Rectangle001 and Circle002.
    I want to do the following:
    1. Place an expression in the width parameter of Rectangle001 to be equivalent to the diameter of Circle001 so that in future if I decide to adjust the radius of Circle001 the width of Rectangle001 will follow along.
    2. Place an expression in the length parameter of Rectangle001 to be equivalent to the distance (in x-axis) between Circle001 and Circle002 so that later on if I move those circles apart or closer it affects the length of the rectangle.
    How can I achieve them?
  • PurpleSwag666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    byas said:
    try this

Thand you for the response.
    It`s Bring new ban shadow like this.

• franman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    franman polycounter lvl 13

In 3Ds Max, I cannot figure out in the wire parameters on how I can get the expression of radius of the big circle to subtract the expression of the radius of the small circle to get the length the rectangle shape.

This is so that when I later on alter the radius of either or both circles it also has an affect on the length of the rectangle.

Can anyone help me out here?
  • Toby3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toby3D polycounter lvl 6
    I'm trying to figure out how to make holes in a cylinder with booleans, and I just can't get it to look good. I've been checking this thread, google and a few other places, but I haven't found any solution yet. As you can see, there is some weird shading around the holes. I played around with different cylinders, trying out to change the amount of sides on both the main piece and the boolean, but nothing really changed.

I did play around with hard / smooth edges and giving the whole model hard edges fixes the shading, but of course that isn't a solution since I want it to be a smooth cylinder. 

Is my cylinder simply too low? Is there a problem with the topology? Is it perhaps some tension? 
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Toby3D said:
    I'm trying to figure out how to make holes in a cylinder with booleans, and I just can't get it to look good. I've been checking this thread, google and a few other places, but I haven't found any solution yet. As you can see, there is some weird shading around the holes. I played around with different cylinders, trying out to change the amount of sides on both the main piece and the boolean, but nothing really changed.

I did play around with hard / smooth edges and giving the whole model hard edges fixes the shading, but of course that isn't a solution since I want it to be a smooth cylinder. 

Is my cylinder simply too low? Is there a problem with the topology? Is it perhaps some tension? 
    the density of the mesh is incorrect. So, when working on curved surfaces, you want the density of the mesh to be equal.
    And the lower the density is, the more pinches and artifacts you get.
    In the first example I started with a flat surface and curved it with the bend modifier.
    The second one I started with a 48 sided cylinder, boolean out the holes, and cleaned the mesh up fast.

What my meshes compared to yours have in common, is that, mine has more equal distance between the polygons (squares, while your's get very thin under and above the holes).

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    byas said:
    try this

If it's a flat surface. TRy this.

• Toby3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toby3D polycounter lvl 6
    wirrexx said:
    the density of the mesh is incorrect. So, when working on curved surfaces, you want the density of the mesh to be equal.
    And the lower the density is, the more pinches and artifacts you get.
    In the first example I started with a flat surface and curved it with the bend modifier.
    The second one I started with a 48 sided cylinder, boolean out the holes, and cleaned the mesh up fast.

What my meshes compared to yours have in common, is that, mine has more equal distance between the polygons (squares, while your's get very thin under and above the holes).

Thanks a lot, it feels so good when things start to fall into place. 
  • PurpleSwag666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:
    byas said:
    try this

Unfortunately.it`s a not flat surface.horizontal or vertical line can't solve the problem

• hanabirano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hanabirano polycounter lvl 5
    wirrexx said:
    byas said:
    try this

Unfortunately.it`s a not flat surface.horizontal or vertical line can't solve the problem

Can you show a full image of the object?
  • PurpleSwag666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:
    byas said:
    try this

Can you show a full image of the object?Here you are

Here you are
  • mrjojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrjojo polycounter lvl 7
    How do I model the swirly part in Blender? 
    P.S : I already tried using curves and adding a shape to array modifier the result was not good.

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    mrjojo said:
    How do I model the swirly part in Blender? 
    P.S : I already tried using curves and adding a shape to array modifier the result was not good.

use a helix
    then do a star

Use the star to extrude after the helix =)

• hanabirano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hanabirano polycounter lvl 5
    wirrexx said:
    byas said:
    try this

Here you are
    This seems like a simple shape, I would just model it flat and then apply a bend modifier on top of all modifiers.
  • PurpleSwag666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:
    byas said:
    try this

Here you are
    This seems like a simple shape, I would just model it flat and then apply a bend modifier on top of all modifiers.

This is a feasible scheme, thank you, but I would like to know whether it can be made under the condition of already bending?