Home Quixel Megascans

Support

Replies

• jhaoshshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Quixel, nice to see you.
    Here's my question for you guys.

I want to directly use Megascans only as a material library. I will explain why for you.
    For now, I'm training myself to be more professional in digital painting, I'm searching for a powerful material/texture software for/as my reference.
    I need a quick, detailed surface control, and I also need to get different surface type as quick/good as possible.
    So I find out the Megascans library seems like a fantastic solution for my purpose.
    This is what I got: I have a simple high-poly sphere mash right now, by the way I'm not a modeler, also own zero 3D workstation like Maya & Modo & Cinema4D, so I don't use other model/mesh. I'm simply just want to be quick as possible to apply high detailed material some sort like wood, metal, stone, environment, mech, skin, hair on top of this sphere, and I can change camera angle & light source & rotate & scale.

It's best way to use 3D software for me, because online image has less of control and quality, hyper resolution software can offer me a wonderful control and detailed ref, and because I'm not a 3D user, I don't need too much fancy feature.

I know in this time, we got something like autodesk, Modo, Cinema4D, ImageLine as workstation; these sort of software is too expensive/massive for my purpose, I need something like Keyshot that is small, specifically for detailed render, but I think Keyshot material library is week in my view of point, I may be wrong.

So, this is my request, what should I do? I have PhotoShop as well. Am I allow to use Megascans only or it need to be under the support which is from dDo or nDo?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gordon robb - Thanks a lot for testing this and great it worked! The guide is in the works as we speak!
    How did you export your model, looks like your normals wasn't exported. This is how it should look:

D0IE5VT.png
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    @Gordon robb - Thanks a lot for testing this and great it worked! The guide is in the works as we speak!
    How did you export your model, looks like your normals wasn't exported. This is how it should look:

D0IE5VT.png

Where are those settings? I exported the object from Zbrush.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gordon Robb - Z-brush doesn't take normals in to account and therefore the exports will be hard edged. Import it in to another 3d package (such as Maya) and export it with the settings above, that should do the trick!
  • Panzerdraco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panzerdraco polycounter lvl 5
    Generally I find that working in projects that don't have a colour map/ID map causes Quixel to throw a lot of errors.
  • lewist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having trouble with 3DO. Sometimes, when editing a smart material, it seems to randomly dump normal information on the whole mesh without regards to the ID map.

Worse, it doesn't actually appear in any of my maps and it persists when restarting PS/Quixel even if I don't save the project! Here's a shot of the mesh with all the textures unlinked, yet it's still showing up.

ijGXNwX.jpg

EDIT: Sort of half-solved this issue. It seems the images 3DO uses for previewing were not getting updated. My solution was to close PS/Quixel, delete .jpegs in the previewer folder, open PS/Quixel, load the project, then relink my maps in the 3DO custom loader.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Panzerdraco - Passed on to the dev team, out of curiosity; what happens if you have a one coloured id map?

@lewist - There is a bug with what you are describing, the quick fix for it right now is just to delete the jpegs in in preview folder, no need to restart the suite or PS!
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, got the 'dissapearing suite' problem fixed. Got the 'no smoothing in 3DO' fixed. Now all I need to know is how to set things up so that I can use smart materials to find edges on a mesh that does not have a corresponding highres or normal map.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're working on the guide as we speak!
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stop talking and get on with it then :)

Just to be clear, I'm looking for something that will find the edges of a simple box, with slightly rounded edges.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I shall not eat nor sleep until you have your box!
  • Electro
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Electro - This tutorial was made for this thread but it didnt solve all the problems people where having, so we are putting together a more extensive guide right now! :)
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh, thanks Electro, but tried that. I think it perhaps works with more complex shapes though.
  • craboom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys.

I am using Photoshop CC, newest update and the Quixel Suite 1.3 i think (newest Version)

If i click on "Reimport" where i can reimport my normal for example, my dDo crashes.

I have tried to run both as Administrator but it doesn´t help.

I hope anybody can help.

And could Quixel please decide to make a better Bug Report Forum, this one is really not very good, if i get an answer in a few days i have to read maybe 20 topics to come to mine. whats the reason for a "One Thread Bug Report Thread"?

Quixel Suite is BETA and Quixel should give better Beta Bug Report Forums to avoid there bugs, i don´t think that this one thread is very helpful isn´t it?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @craboom - Im sorry you don't like our forum, we're trying to find the best way to share all the information about known bugs and issues with everybody but maybe we can improve this process further! If you don't want to post your bug in this thread you can create a new topic and that way its easier to read your replies :)

Regarding your bug there was an issue in 1.2 where "reimport" would crash more or less every time, so make sure you are running 1.3! Another known issue is if you move your source files it can cause a crash when you reimport. Let me know if you're still having issues and we'll sort them out for you!
  • craboom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1.3 qas installed, the solution was not sorting the files.

That awefull, structure how dDo saves the files is very very aweful. How do u find your files guys? who has coded that? when do you release and take money from this software? in 10 days? oh dear, i can´t wait to pay for so many bugs.
  • Panzerdraco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panzerdraco polycounter lvl 5
    @Panzerdraco - Passed on to the dev team, out of curiosity; what happens if you have a one coloured id map?

@lewist - There is a bug with what you are describing, the quick fix for it right now is just to delete the jpegs in in preview folder, no need to restart the suite or PS!

The issues usually go away if I use a one-colour ID.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @craboom - Good to hear!

You can specify a path where you want your project files to be saved when you first create your project, otherwise they will be located at the same place as your input maps.

I'm very sorry to hear that you feel this way. We're still a small company and though we ourself wished we could release new patches every week we simply don't have the manpower for it. This is of course something that you as a consumer should not suffer from and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We've had quite a long beta period for this very reason, and by launch we really hope you feel our product is working as promised and satisfactory!

@panzerdraco - Thank you for reporting this! It helps us narrow down what may be causing it :)
  • Sieve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! I need help.. How can i see a flatten albedo in 3do? I need to see a preview without normal map and light.
    Thx
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sieve - Hi! you can use your number keys to see all the different channels :)
  • Sieve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perfect thanks!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys and gals here is the new wiki entry focusing on input maps: http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=inputmaps
    Its done by Wiktor
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clears a lot up, but doesn't make any difference to my problem. It still requires a fairly complex model to have the AO pick up details. Still no joy finding edges on a simple rounded edge box. I'm happy to assume I'm doing something wrong (I really hope I am) but it doesn't seem so.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Guys and gals here is the new wiki entry focusing on input maps: http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=inputmaps
    Its done by Wiktor
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a lot of problems getting up and running with dDo, Win7x64/CS6/Quixel 1.3. I've read through just about everything in this thread, can I suggest a new support thread for 1.4? Megathreads get a bit cumbersome across versions when it comes to troubleshooting.

The shortcut it creates points to the x86 instead of the x64 location, FWIW. Quixel Suite doesn't always attach to Photoshop, I find that I need to have PS running first, launch Suite, minimize PS/exit Suite, relaunch Quixel with PS as the active window for it to hook properly.

The dDo starting menu and project menu tend to disappear when mousing over "links" from ID map, and flickers when mousing over rollout arrows. Similar and random behavior when using dropdown arrows, but submenus such as the material browser seem fine.

I'm having color issues in the ID Link Editor, and as far as I can tell, my Photoshop color management settings are correct. The colors are dark and skewed, and it's often impossible to select certain IDs, always selecting the darkest similar color. I used the DDO Manager for Maya, and the colors were too dark, so I shifted and brightened them into what you see here. I still can't select that light gray-blue color in the color view, it assigns to the sky blue. The png clone for the color ids is shown in the background.

dDo%201.3%20IDLinkEditor%20Colors.jpg

Many of the materials you can pick when setting up a project don't exist once you do "create base", leaving me to set groups up all over again. It would be nice if it defaulted to some basic material so I could at least have the groups there. It takes a few minutes for the material creation menu to come up.

D0IE5VT.png

This turned out to be my biggest problem when exporting an obj from Maya, and needed to turn groups off. It could be a naming issue since my Maya object has a different name than the obj I exported it as. This borks up previewing in 3Do: textures are moved to the preview subfolder, but are all incorrect to their current state. After refreshing from ddo panel, textures are shown but custom model is greyed out (it never got moved to the preview folder). So I reload the model in dDo, which seems to unlink the textures and show my model all chromed out.

Turning export groups off fixes it, I still need to do the initial refresh to see the proper textures. Here's an example of a Maya obj that is not part of a group or layer and exported with groups on if you need one.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Hey. Thanks all for the help and support.

It looks like DDO does something with my keyboard. when i go back and forth between the 3 apps it completely locks all my apps.
    1- US keyboard layout ( all keys are somewhere else, when in PS and pressing Esc will close some Browser tabs, pressing A opens my text edit etc etc)
    2- mouse clicks just give the error sound and nothing react to it (not even Ctrl alt del)
    3- First i had to restart PS and quixel all togeter to get it working again. Now it looks like that after pressing Ctrl, Alt, Win and Esc in no order. It seems to work

Maybe its me but it only happens in Quixel

hope this helps

PS: came to mind that it might be that i already play in the 3do viewer before ndo or ddo are finished calculating
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't seem to rename a blank layer in dDo, there's no text area to double click on.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riuthamus polycounter lvl 11
    Was busy for a few days, running in admin worked like a dream.
  • ar2r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Quixel I bought Ndo License( aferkaluk@qumak.pl ) and key didn't work for me , I wrote you message via your site, can you check this, also I installed quixel suite beta but DDO didnt work window appear for one second and dissapar, Adobew PS CS6 Extended v.13 x64 , Windos 7 SP1
  • Wenceslas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think I'm the only one with this case, but since NDO2, when I convert a normal map to a diffuse map, If I ask it to be tileable, The diffuse map will not be tileable and will have some white part in the map Borders.

And It seems that when I don't ask it to be tileable, well... it make the diffuse map tileable.

I think the two options may be inverted in the "convert to Diffuse Map" part of the code.
  • Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    Before I ask for help with these issues I want to say I LOVE the Suite! It is amazing. That being said, I'm sad that its not working for me :(

First issue I am seeing is an issue with the ID mapping. I only have 4 colors in my id map (3 with a background which is not needed) and for some reason the ID Link Editor keeps showing 7, including colors that are not there. Any advice?

DDO_Issue1_1.png

Thanks!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @throttlekitty - Yes you are correct this thread is getting a bit big for sure! You can always create a new topic if you have questions or bugs, in your case it would probably be the best since there was quite a few of them :)

about the issue of the suite dissapearing, many who've had this problem solved it by running both PS and the Suite in administrator mode, any luck with that?

about the color link bug, this one has be a bit stomped, I'm not sure I've ever seen this, have you tried with different file formats for your map?

Very good point about the material setting a basic one if they don't exist, i will suggest this for the dev team! and hopefully this will be less of a problem once Megascans launches!

I'm gonna see if we can put together a guide for how to export models, but when the models go "chrome" its usually a problem with the input maps.

Blank layer bug is being worked on and fixed for coming release!

Hopefully this helps some!

@bertmac - no problem! Really strange bug, did you get it sorted?

@riuthamus - Great to hear!

@a2r - Since NDO is free during the beta period you cant actually register it yet, it ends september 8 and after that you should be able to use your key :) Try running the suite and PS as administrator, that usually solves the "disappearing" bug!

@wencesias - I talked to Teddy about this, and its a bug that he is looking in to, sorry for any inconvenience!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Novian - Awesome that you like it! The reason the ID link editor shows 7 colours is due to the low sampling of the anti aliasing in your map, if you look close on the borders of the "Islands" of your map you can actually see subtle shifts in colour. If you clean that up you should be good to go! :)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Ramberg - Disappearing windows, I'm running it all under admin.

Color ID bug, The input map for colors was tga, but dDo converts it to a png for its own use. The tga and png look fine everywhere but what's shown in the Color ID menu. It's possible it's only an issue when starting a project. In the same session, once the project is started and I use the Link Editor in the Materials menu it appears just fine. *shrug*
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    @ Eric Ramberg,
    Will you guys add a workflow to the wiki for blender?
    Or is blender a taboo subject? Maybe I should have read more closely before I bought it or is quixel only geared towards maya or max?

Cheers,
    ~tung
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @throttlekitty - Just checked with Teddy, this is something he has encountered and working to eliminate, he said for now it's usually solved by restarting the suite.

The color ID thing sounds really strange, I'll write it up and pass it on to the dev team, I'm sorry your experience with the suite this far has been so trouble filled, hopefully the 1.4 update can smooth things out for you!

@tengerz - Blender is certainly not taboo :D I'll look in to expanding the guide to include blender!
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    @ Eric Ramberg,

Wicked, that will be awesome. I know that in legacy ddo, there was the fbx that we imported. It seems to have changed or not supplied with the suite. So an officialy workflow would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    ~Tung
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric, thanks! I'll try prodding around it more to see if I can't figure out where and when the color id problem happens.

tungerz, are you having a problem with objs from Blender? The workflow going into the suite shouldn't be any different than other 3d apps.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Just bought DDO, was very excited with the results I have seen everyone here get.

My problem right now is that I don't get any texture detail at all. Done a simple cube, did a highpoly with some smooth edges and shapes booleaned out it, baked tangetspace normal
    ao
    objectspace normal in xnormal with standard settings. The maps looks fine from what I can tell.

I add all of this to ddo and for some reason I dont get any texture detail at all. The only material that seems to work is the camo ones, everything else just gives me lots of suble color shifts and banding.

Attaching a quick screenshot of how some different smart material looks on every model I have tried so far + the ao and normal.

I have searched through the forum and can't seem to find a solution, have any of you seen this problem before?

Edit:
    Modeled in modo.
    Baked in xnormal.
    No curvature or colorid map added. I have tried with these on three other models so far and they didn't help my problem so I'm not using them for now.
    2048x2048 maps
    Done no changes to the smart materials, everything is straight out of the box.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tungerz - I'll see if we can put together something, but as throttlekitty says you should be able to export obj from blender as well right? that should work :)

@throttlekitty - Much appreciated, very curious to see what might cause this!

@Cubik - Hi! sorry you got off to a rough start, but I'm sure we can fix this, first of all would you mind downloading one of the sample projects from the wiki? http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddo_samples
    Just to see if the problem is with the suite or with your project :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Upon reviewing this thread for things i’ve missed i realised there where quite a few, this is of course unacceptable! So in the future I think it is best that you create new threads for your bugs unless they are quick questions or bugs mentioned in this thread already, just to make sure i don’t miss them!

I apologize greatly to those who got left behind!

@covenantofdwan - Have you tried reinstalling the suite? Also if have patched the suite, make sure that you patch to the same location as you installed it in the first place!

@HolaBlackdavy - I can’t actually watch the tutorial as I don’t have an account, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t a metal section under “stylized materials”, as I’m usually the one who makes "Smart Materials” I’m fairly sure :) There might have been some in previous releases while we were testing out some stuff though . But from the preview of the tutorial it looks like he is using the “Black gun metal” preset!

@hike1213 - Are you still having problems? Do you get these errors on startup?

@jhaoshshin - You can use Megascans as a reference library all in itself if you want, no other software required. You can preview the materials directly on the website on a sphere where you can also change the light direction.

But if you want to preview the materials on a different mesh then you need DDO and Photoshop as well :)
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    @Eric Ramberg & throttlekitty,
    thanks, yes can export obj's, kinda confusing example apply modifiers (ex... bevel subsurf, edge split ect...)
    But, chainsaw tut. Showed to use fbx setup color id with fbx materials... not provided with suite...
    but even with legecys fbx dont match up in suite...
    but all in all just learning quixel n totally noob questions till I get a grasp I guess....
    again thanks :)
  • DanMihaila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!

I hope this is the right place to post this question. I know the other Ddo/Quixel threads and I guess this is the most appropriate.
    So I've been trying to get more into Ddo texturing while working on an environment peace. Its definitely an amazing tool and I will use it more or less for all my future projects.
    However, there is an issue I have and I really can't figure what's the problem. Whenever I start texturing an asset, I can't preview the texture in 3do for some reason. All I see is this glossy/mirror like shader that stays there no matter what changes I make to the materials.
    Here is an image of it
    368f04c4c1af5e5ac95ed87b1a1d1462.jpg
    If I take the default cube or cylinder, I get the same thing at the beginning. However, after I change something to one of the materials, it updates correctly and than I can preview my textures.
    Am I missing something really obvious here or is this an issue? If you could hint towards a potential fix it would be really really awesome since it kinda sux to have to kinda eye ball the texture and than hope for the best when I take it in the engine.
    I tried to triangulate the model before importing it but it didn't really help. Also, I should mention that I am using .obj. I will give it a shot with FBX but I'm guessing it won't change anything. Also, I am using Maya as my 3d package so that's where the objs are exported from.

Thank you for your time and let me know if I can provide you with any additional information.

Cheers

Dan

Note: I tried to tone down the gloss and everything and ofc, it removes the shininess of the shader and all, but still, there is no information from the materials; its just a blank shader

EDIT:

I looked again through this thread and saw that it was suggested before that this issue might be caused by a problem with the input maps... I am using targa files and I kinda stick with the standard way of doing things... as in using ID, normal and ao plus the mesh. Let me know if there are any documents I might have missed that are solving this issue. Otherwise I'm looking foreword to any suggestions of what I could try in order to fix this.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, downloaded the samples and tried them out.

The helmet works fine, nothing to report there.

The AKS is the same no problems.

However, if I try to switch any of the assigned materials in of, for example the metal material added to the wood part on the ak, it just fills the material with a solid color, creating a look that is very similar to the problem that I have had on my four test models.

See attached image.
  • tach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering if there's a way to reset things to default settings?
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Tried following the DDo primer which I have only looked through before.

As you can see in the attached image, probably the same issue. Same results atleast, just flat, dull colors.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tungerz - we’ll see if we can get some export guides soon!

@danmihalla - The “Chrome look” is almost always a result of improper input maps or the due to the fact that the suite can’t find them. First of check if the path for your input maps contain any special characters, or if they are located on a network drive. If that is not the case then try to download one of the sample projects at http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddo_samples
    to rule out any problems with the suite itself, and if you’re still having troubles let me know and we’ll sort it out!

@tach - Exactly what settings are you referring to?

@Cubik - It looks as if you have installed the patches to a different location than you installed the suite in the first place, what happens then is all the patterns are lost and the suite can’t use them. Try reinstalling!
  • tach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly what settings are you referring to?

The calibration profile settings. I can't remember which one is the default one (I'm trying to replicate something I created with the default profile). Tried reinstalling but the preferences don't get reset.
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    I finally downloaded beta and played with it a little. It was incredibly slow and gave me photoshop errors all the time.
    What hardware was used to record that sci-fi helmet workflow primer?
    On my i7 with SSD after I switch layer visibility it takes 3-5 seconds to actually see changes in 3do. And when I switch layer eye icon in photoshop itself it works instantaneously.
    So questions are:
    Are anybody else experience speed shown in official videos?
    What can be done to improve performance?
This discussion has been closed.