Home Quixel Megascans

Support

Replies

• Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    I've just taken out the links, and the attachemetns are at the bottom
  • Eric Ramberg
    @ghaztehschmexeh - No you dont have to use different values for GGX, I'm really sorry but i dont quite understand what you mean by "I'm using generic pbr ggx in tb2 and the roughness because a lot less subtle, and the texture suffers as a result." would you mind explain :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    @Gordon robb - We have been super busy with the 1.4 release, I'll make sure someone puts together an example for you!
  • Othelnic12
    Offline / Send Message
    Othelnic12 polycounter lvl 5
    Hi Eric. I wrote a personal message but got no response. Since apparently you are busy. Please check them out and connect to the specified issue there.
  • hell_d
    Hell_D: Can you try starting a project in a simpler location and see if that fixes it? Tour path name seems super character heavy and long. I want to see if the long string is what might be breaking it for you? Thanks!
    Hi Ryan. I saw posts about special symbols in path, yea, tried it, still no luck. : \
  • dimwalker
    Offline / Send Message
    dimwalker polycounter lvl 15
    Tried v1.4. Problems remain.

Starting NDO from GUI crashes NDO and Suite. Executable started manually doesn't show. Can Switch To and press Alt+Space to move invisible window.

No materials listed. Base Wood selected on load, still inaccessible.

Inactive or broken menu. Highlights on mouseover though.

Loading project from 3DO doesn't work for me at all.
  • allaze-eroler
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    well, after some test, it seem there is a problem with trying loading the project, it crashed when i click "load project" in DDO... Wonder why.

apparently, i wasn't alone XD;
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Ugh I can see that was a mess of a sentence, I was quite tired when I wrote it. Basically when I use these settings to export:

0bb8fa9649.png

The result is as expected in marmoset toolbag 2. The roughness shows up when catching light etc, more or less depending on the value in the map.

Using these settings:

9b9afb8ec0.png

The result in toolbag (with ggx reflections turned on) is that reflections are a lot less subtle, they are overly strong. Perhaps this is as intended, and I should just stick to blinn-phong.

This could be due to the error I'm getting some of the time:

b1bbbfe4eb.png

Something is updating and refreshing my marmoset scene though, and it could be just that the roughness is not getting updated. Here is an example anyway. This is just one custom material added with dDo, shown in marmoset toolbag 2.

Toolbag 2 calibration, blinn-phong reflections
    72d3f7a898.jpg

Generic PBR (ggx), ggx reflections
    33558e8968.jpg

Hope this makes a bit more sense. Sometimes I type without using my brain and then don't check what I've typed :)

Also just to add, my 3DO is still using over 2GB of ram and locking up my PC (compared with toolbag which uses like 80mb). This isn't a huge issue for me as I usually just export to toolbag, but I'd like to be able to use 3DO for ID picking. Just a heads up anyway, I don't know if I'm the only one getting this.
  • Vipera
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    @Eric

OK, back at this problem.....

I am tryting to use DDO to texture objects that are not Low Poly versions of a High poly model (so no Normal map with nice edges). I've had a lot of ideas obout using Curvature maps, and it just does not work.

The simple steps to create a normal map are written in documentation to DDO:
    1. On the low poly (your source model), move any occluding geometry away; effectively “exploding” the mesh. You can put it back together after the bake. This helps eliminate any intersection artifacts in the final bake, and gives you a clean normal.
    2. Duplicate that mesh - and mark hard edges anywhere you want tight corners or creases to be (you want to see texture edge effects visible). Select ONLY the hard edges of this mesh.
    3. Crease the hard edges.
    4. Use xNormal to create normal maps for your source model using new model as high poly model for texture baking.

You can check my simple test how two meshes look like:
    Box_test.rar
  • TJTAS
    Well V1.4 doesn't seem to do anything. I have yet to see DDO actually working. I load all my bits in Mesh, Colour map, Normal and OSNormal. Assign the materials manually (as there is still no swatches for PS). Click on the create base, wait a few minutes and...... the albedo map and specular are just blank grey images with a single layer. To top it off still no fix for max generated .obj files so the mesh will not load.
  • dimwalker
    Offline / Send Message
    dimwalker polycounter lvl 15
    @TJTAS Try unchecking checkbox called "relative numbers" when exporting .obj
    Solved the problem for me.
  • TJTAS
    dimwalker wrote: »
    @TJTAS Try unchecking checkbox called "relative numbers" when exporting .obj
    Solved the problem for me.
    I have an item called "Relative Vertex numbers" but that is unchecked by default. What gets to me is that meshes which work fine in dDo do not work in DDO. It is something to do with the 3DO itself. Occasionally i can get a mesh to load using the 3DO custom loader but nothing from DDO effects it. It remains an overall grey no matter what I do.
  • 3dpolys
    I am experiencing three main problems at the current time in 1.4(Note this was the same issue as in 1.3 so not a new problem but still a problem). Also for reference I am using PS CC 20140730

1) After generating a photo-normal from a photo(using the photo normal presets full spectrum) I attempt to use that photo-normal in the map converter and create AO, Height(All-Round), Height(Hard-Surface), Diffuse, Specular, Cavity.

Everything appears to be running and at one point I even see the displacement map created/creating but by the end of it I am normally am only left with just AO and a Specular Map. If I go one by one I can eventually generate all of the maps but for some reason the maps just disappear when I try to create more than one at once.

2) Whenever I click on the Height(Hard-surface) and then use the Active Doc(which is a photo-normal) I get the below popup message once per each layer and I am just left with a solid black map after clicking okay for each of the script alert prompts.

Error: General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop. - The parameters for command "Set" are not currently valid.

3) Unfortunately, this problem is limited in details but while I am using the product(running it as administrator) I will notice that the suite just disappears and I must relaunch it which means then that 3do will never seem to display the maps correctly until I recreate them while 3do is already running.
    Gk6P8HMvlfaZk0hPsAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera wrote: »
    The simple steps to create a normal map are written in documentation to DDO:
    1. On the low poly (your source model), move any occluding geometry away; effectively “exploding” the mesh. You can put it back together after the bake. This helps eliminate any intersection artifacts in the final bake, and gives you a clean normal.
    2. Duplicate that mesh - and mark hard edges anywhere you want tight corners or creases to be (you want to see texture edge effects visible). Select ONLY the hard edges of this mesh.
    3. Crease the hard edges.
    4. Use xNormal to create normal maps for your source model using new model as high poly model for texture baking.

You can check my simple test how two meshes look like:
    Box_test.rar

What you've given me is how to create a normal map from a higher res version of a low poly mesh. I know how to do that. This is not the issue. I don't have low and high res versions. I don't want low and high res versions. I only have the one object. What I'm trying to do is use DDO to texture it, especially the bit that finds edges and put's wear on them automatically. The attached image is an example of the kind of object I'm talking about.

Eric is telling me I can get this to work.
  • Eric Ramberg
    @Othelnic12 - Try download 1.4, its more stable and hopefully it will generate the desired results!

@Dimwalker - Your first two bugs have us a bit stopmed, would you mind creating a separate thread so we can really get to the bottom of this?

3 - This is a bugg, will be removed!

4 - To load a texture project select preview folder instead. Do note this is not the same thing as loading a DDO project, as it only loads textures in to the previewer!

@allaze-eroler - Does this happen when you use the sample projects as well? http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddo_samples

@ghaztehschmexeh - I showed this to Teddy and he said “Hum interesting i have to look in to this!” so I´ll have to get back to you after he looked int to this as it is way above my head :)

@TJTAS - It should be grey by default, this is how it looks before loading any textures. :)

@Gordon robb - Here are the files, sorry for the delay! http://quixel.se/content/Baked%20Cube.rar

@3dpolys -

1 - Thank you for reporting this, we were unaware of this and it will be fixed!

2 - Its a bug that hard surface is available when doing photo normals, you should be using “height allround”. Thank your noticing this!

3 - Also good report, this will be fixed in coming releases!
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Thanks. After a lot of tweaking the settings for the mask, I managed to get this result. If you can just let me know how the curvature map was created, that'd be great.
  • Othelnic12
    Offline / Send Message
    Othelnic12 polycounter lvl 5
    @Eric
    Alas, I have pointed out the reason. 1.4 can not cope.
    However, since some time has passed and I can show you the best results. I think it says it all!
    I would like to Quixel also able to make at least one algorithm that does not consider light and shadow.
    mRYHBSQfymk.jpg
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Just tried that mesh in Xnormal, and it creates a curvature map, however, it's a tone of polygons. Is that why it works? Will it not work if its just 6 polys, with rounded edges
  • griiot
    PS CS3 user
    since the update to the 1.4 i get those errors.
    522805ddoerror.png
  • allaze-eroler
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    @allaze-eroler - Does this happen when you use the sample projects as well? http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddo_samples

weird, it got fixed... well, i guess it wasn't completely loaded, before that, i was trying to click "load project" the software go disapearing... which it's why i wasn"t able to get a Windows which i can load the project XD; a side note : i didn't tried loading your samples.

however, when i use "rerender (full resolution)" i got that message which it said this :

"System.Runtime.InteropService.COMExeception (0x80042260): General Photoshop error occurred. this functionality may not be available in this version of photoshop"

apparently, it was because of Photoshop CC2014 version (64bits). well, hope it did help you understanding what is wrong with it. :)
  • Tabris
    Offline / Send Message
    Tabris polycounter lvl 2
    Hi guys,

so I've updated my quixel suite today... what a bad idea..

1.3 was working so good... but now.. I don't know why, when I try to create a Base, the result is always the same.. 1 single layer... grey texture.

- I've tried several different calibrations, but the result is the same..
    - I also tried to roll back to 1.3.. but the result is still the same.
    - Tried to reinstall Quixel suite.. same result..

I don't know what to do anymore to make it work.

I'm a PS CC and CS5 user.. same result on both photoshop.

Need some help here :'(
  • TJTAS
    @TJTAS - It should be grey by default, this is how it looks before loading any textures. :)

Eric you are missing the point. In dDo (legacy) I load my model and textures, press the bake button and it generates my texture. Marmoset comes up with an ugly shiny model. I click on the D button in the window and there is my diffuse on the model.

With DDO 1.4 I go through the same process but when I click on the create base button the end result is a lot of textures and if I load the 3do window it simply shows a sphere. The custom mesh button in 3DO is greyed out. If I then try and load a custom mesh through the suite/3DO custom loader occasionally it will work. When I make changes to my project in DDO the mesh does not update with the changes. And yes I do know to hit the refresh 3DO button in DDO.

Is this the expected behavior of DDO 1.4 ?. I am expecting something similar to dDo (legacy) myself. I think there is something going wrong at the "Bake" point.
  • Vipera
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    Vipera wrote: »
    I have found that regarding on Calibration Profile I get absolutely different maps with the same source files and same smart material:

Last-gen profile - you can notice some wear on the box edges which I highlited by arrows

Last_Gen_arrows.jpg

UE4 profile - some edges have missing wear

UE4.jpg

I expect that result on the edges should be the same for all profiles. Here is the link to my test file with all source maps. I used Battle Armor smart material for this test.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1g8g261m8a5ulvo/Box.rar

Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 and Quxel Suite 1.3

Calibration profiles for UDK, UE4 and UE4 (Optimized) are still broken in version 1.4. These profiles have missed edges for the texture.

Toolbag2, Last-gen,Uncalibrated, CryEngine, Unity
    screen02_Toolbag2.png

UE4, UE4(Optimized), UDK
    screen04_UE4.png

I used the same initial maps and same model from Box.rar. I used sunburnt metal material for this example.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Thanks Vipera. This is very odd since calibration Profiles should really not have an effect on how materials are generated, only how they are exported. That means edge wear is not tied to the calibration profile.

However with the latest DDO update there is a new and higher quality Curvature feature, which will have a significant effect on edge wear. This new feature is now selected by default in the Base Creator under the Options section. Maybe you generated the first project using the old Curvature generation, and then generated a new project in 1.4 (with the new high quality Curvature enabled), thus the difference in edge wear?

Let me know if this could be the issue!
  • Vipera
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    I have found where problem is. When I select UE4, UE4(Optimized) or UDK profiles then Flip normal Y is auto checking on. And since the options are usually hidden when I start new project I didn't notice that. Would be nice to keep options open all the time and have Base Creator list longer, so all import maps were visible. It is annoying to extend this window every time I start a new project.
  • aten2000
    Is there a general thread about what do to when the suite doesn't work? I've tried everything in this thread but still no joy.

Running win7, CS5. Clicking on the suite launcher launches it and photoshop fine but the suite toolbar is behind photoshop. A few seconds later it asks me to select the .exe of photoshop I want to use, which I do, then says it needs to restart. If I click 'ok' it restarts PS, but the suite toolbar is unresponsive. The only button that works is 3do, pressing ddo, or ndo just crashes them out.

As I say I've seen this same bug a ton of times in this thread but no solid 'what-to-do' to fix it.

Cheers - Aten.
  • Bertmac
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Stupid simple question but how would one go about making drips or leaks. in ddo
  • TJTAS
    I have a 24"HD Cintiq which I use for PS and 3dCoat. DDO will not work correctly on the Cintiq (I think someone already reported this). So I have to use DDO on my other monitor, which is a pain. So sometimes its easy to lose track of whats going on in PS on the other screen. This has caused a reproducible crash. If you have a colour picker window open in PS(picking a reflectance colour in DDO) and you click on the mask layer DDO crashes.

As an addendum to the continuing 3DO woes. I wondered whether it was multiple mesh objects causing the problem. I tried a single mesh object and still no luck. In addition once I've tried to use one of my meshes 3DO stop updating changes to the primitive meshes.
  • Smoluck
    Offline / Send Message
    Smoluck polycounter lvl 7
    aten2000 wrote: »
    Is there a general thread about what do to when the suite doesn't work? I've tried everything in this thread but still no joy.

Running win7, CS5. Clicking on the suite launcher launches it and photoshop fine but the suite toolbar is behind photoshop. A few seconds later it asks me to select the .exe of photoshop I want to use, which I do, then says it needs to restart. If I click 'ok' it restarts PS, but the suite toolbar is unresponsive. The only button that works is 3do, pressing ddo, or ndo just crashes them out.

As I say I've seen this same bug a ton of times in this thread but no solid 'what-to-do' to fix it.

Cheers - Aten.

Exact same for me. 1.3 have worked correctly for all the Beta test time.
  • CJFerguson
    Offline / Send Message
    CJFerguson polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys,

I am super confused. I have reinstalled Quixel to try and fix this. I've tried rescaling my model. I've tried a bunch of stuff. My friend took my model and didn't get this error at all.

So it's something to do with my Photoshop. I'm using Creative Cloud. I was initially using Photoshop CS5.1, but I switched to Creative Cloud to see if it would fix the issue.

I maybe could uninstall CS5.1 and then reinstall CC and Quixel. But anyways, here are the images:
    tumblr_nbxkda0l2p1qbdjxvo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nbxkda0l2p1qbdjxvo2_1280.jpg

If I apply materials, I get a strange amount of tiling. Again, other people have used the exact model and textures I'm using and had no issue. I tried to fix it myself, but finally just had to post. Anybody know?
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have your project resolution set to something other than the normal 512,1024, 2048 or 4092? I'm sure that was causing weird problems like this.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    On 1.4 you need admin rights to update.
    In the closed beta you removed it, cause of my suggestions.
    Why is it back again ?
  • pouke
    Offline / Send Message
    pouke polycounter lvl 6
    Hello guys,
    your tool is really impressive and works great. I have a problem with the export of my maps to "unity marmoset toolbag".
    I need a specuar map and an alpha with the gloss in the same map. Is it possible to export in 32bit a tga with the exporter ?
    I tried different calibration profiles but no one make the trick.

Thanks
  • CJFerguson
    Offline / Send Message
    My project is set to 2048.I don't believe it has to do with project settings as Beefaroni and I have played with the settings and I've copied his exactly as my model works perfectly fine on his computer.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yea, I took his exact setup, loaded it up on my comp, and everything worked perfectly.
  • CJFerguson
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. It's currently working properly. If anyone has the same tiling problem that I had here's the steps I took to get it to not tile insanely when applying the texture. These aren't necessarily correct or incorrect. I just did them all at once so I need to put them all down.

-Uninstalled Older versions of Quixel Software
    -Uninstalled Photoshop CS5.1 and got rid of all the files related to it.
    -Reinstalled Photoshop CC. Tried to make sure no preferences carried over from previous PS versions
    -Ran CCleaner on my hard drive and my registry
    -Uninstalled Quixel
    -Restarted my computer
    -Reinstalled Quixel

Now it works. Here's a screen of it working: tumblr_nbycl8ieMg1qbdjxvo1_1280.jpg

Each time I just tested to see if it was working by holding C in 3DO and Shift and applying the base painted concrete material.
  • Eric Ramberg
    @Vipera - We will add so that it remembers the size of the window, and keeping the option expander open, thank you very much for your help and feedback!

@aten2000 - What happens if you start PS first and then the suite? are you running 1.4?

@Bertmac - its possible with custom textures! But the tradition leaks and trips from dDo legacy will most likely make a return in to the new suite later on! :)

@Chillydog12345 - Has it worked with previous versions? what type of error message are you getting?

@TJTAS - Thank you for reporting the crash, we are fixing it as we speak! We don’t have a Cintiq so we have not yet tried Ddo, hopefully we can support it in a future release!

@Smoluck - It might be because the new suite requires admin rights to install. The next release will consist of too different installers. One that requires admin rights and one who does not, maybe this will fix the problem!

@Cjferguson - Awesome that you got it to work! :) Maybe it had something to do with units/pixels in PS

@Alphavader - This is the only way the installer can install prerequisits such as Java (to prevent PS connection issues), Visual studio Redistributables and so on. without admin rights the suit will not be able to create shortcuts to the desktop etc. :)

@Othelnic12 - thank you very much, if you send your algorithm via pm we will take a look!

@griiot - do you get the same error with a new project?

@allaze-eroler - Great that it works now! :)

@Tabris - Its because the default preset has been changed from “default materials” to “Clean Grey” If you want to change it back, you can do so while creating a project :) Just klick the arrow next to “Clean grey preset”
  • hooblegooblin
    Offline / Send Message
    hooblegooblin polycounter lvl 5
    CJFerguson wrote: »
    Alright. It's currently working properly. If anyone has the same tiling problem that I had here's the steps I took to get it to not tile insanely when applying the texture. These aren't necessarily correct or incorrect. I just did them all at once so I need to put them all down.

-Uninstalled Older versions of Quixel Software
    -Uninstalled Photoshop CS5.1 and got rid of all the files related to it.
    -Reinstalled Photoshop CC. Tried to make sure no preferences carried over from previous PS versions
    -Ran CCleaner on my hard drive and my registry
    -Uninstalled Quixel
    -Restarted my computer
    -Reinstalled Quixel

Now it works. Here's a screen of it working: tumblr_nbycl8ieMg1qbdjxvo1_1280.jpg

Each time I just tested to see if it was working by holding C in 3DO and Shift and applying the base painted concrete material.

I am having the exact same problem. Running Quixel Suite 1.4 and Photoshop CS5.

The first time I ran Quixel after updating from 1.3 is when the textures behaved normally, as in the second picture. All the successive times there is a large amount of tiling present in the texture.

This also happened in 1.2 and 1.3, but installing 1.4 fixed it for one use of the software, haha. Now the problem occurs again :/
  • Eric Ramberg
    @hooblegooblin - try changing units to pixels in PS and see if that does anything!
  • hooblegooblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Under Preferences > Units & Rulers, I have both rulers and units set to pixels.
  • Eric Ramberg
    @hooblegooblin - i know its a lot to ask, but would you be willing to try the steps described by CJFerguson? I know its a lot to ask and i fully understand if you're not to keen on it!
  • CJFerguson
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Eric,

Is there a specific reason why one color mask wouldn't be working? All of my color mask's are working great, but for some reason this one particular one doesn't allow me to assign any materials to it. I've restarted the project and everything, but not getting any results. I'm going to try and reimport the color mask, and after that I'm going to try and change the color, but to my plain eye the color doesn't seem close enough to the others to be giving any problems.

I've also taken other layers that work great and changed their mask to that color, but had the same problem. I'll be back with results of the two things I previously said I would try.

**Update**
    I changed the colors in the color map to be more distinct and now it's masking properly.
  • hooblegooblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, on the first run, things are looking good!

My process:

1) Uninstall CS5 and all the preferences
    2) Uninstall Quixel Suite and remove all associated folders
    3) Install Photoshop CS6
    4) Reboot
    5) Reinstall Quixel Suite
  • Eric Ramberg
    @CJFerguson - So everything is working correctly now? Apart from that the colors need a certain degree of separation, file format is alos a factor, png or tga is the way to go!

@hooblegooblin - So is everything working satisfactory now? :)
  • emaema
    I want to download the quixel 1.4 so I start downloading it but when the download finish quixel close and photoshop stay opened and when I open quixel again he asked me to download it again so I download it again and again but the same problem is happening how can I fix this problem?
  • 3dpolys
    I came across a few problems today.
    1)
    When generating a normal map from a height map the Dimensions of the image switched places. For example 24 cm x 36 cm became 36 cm x 24 cm when I converted the height map to a normal.
  • 3dpolys
    2)
    Now this may not be intended to work this way or perhaps my thinking is incorrect but I ran into an issue such that when I generated a specular map from a normal map I lost the normal map. Fortunately, I had a good height map I had already generated from the original normal map so I figured I could just convert the height map back to a normal and be done. However, I noticed that the new normal map looked nothing like the original. I tried a few iterations of this to be sure it was not just a one off or my eyes this but with each iteration the image lost more and more details. Which begs the question is that to be expected?
  • 3dpolys
    I retried the procedure again and think I might be onto the problem. After generating a displacement map from a photo normal(picture of bricks) I realize that what I was left with was a displacement where actually only a few of the bricks were white and the rest was a black mass.
  • DavoMora
    Offline / Send Message
    DavoMora polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, sorry my english, I have a model in zbrush how a i can texturate in ddo and ndo? also I use cinema 4d, how i can texturate my model from cinema 4d?

TKS
  • Eric Ramberg
    @emaema - What happens if you don´t download the update, will the program run?
This discussion has been closed.