Welcome to our Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #12
This month we are keeping the single item style and this month of February
the Selected heroes will be 3 recently added to the workshopLegion Commander
The link to Wraith King's files currently directs to Skeleton King instead of WK. Here's a link to his files instead: http://media.steampowered.com/apps/d...raith_king.zip
(ty Belkun for the links)
be creative and think out of the box! =]
we are also planning to split the winners and create a new category based on creativity
the idea of the competition is to create items in a friendly environment and with the feedback of the other participants to get the best result possible.
The single item style is good for the guys that are not used to make items, sometimes they just need a little pull with references and deadlines to get an item doneFrom this month and the next ones, its mandatory to post the work in progress, or else the submition will not be accepted!
Each month we are sponsored by HANDPLANE
, which give us 2 licenses to be handled to the 2 best itemsHandplane is a tool for creating normal maps that are synced to specific game engines. Much like encoding and decoding an mp3, the math used to calculate tangent space must match between the normal map and the game engine. When the code does not match, you will often see gradients on your models. For workshop artists, this means you can eliminate the need for hard edges and supporting geometry that you would have otherwise used to control shading behavior. A video comparing different normal maps in the source engine:
handplane is free for non-commercial use and we explicitly allow commercial steam workshop development under the free license.http://www.handplane3d.com"
;*** update, now its 4 licenses!
, thanks Alec!
--- Getting your item displayed on the first post
or this one for 2 creators
- name of your set, use equal as on the workshopworkshop_user_link
- your workshop page, so people can browse your other items easilyUsername
- the name you think its easier to people find you, can be the one from polycount or the steamitem_link
- the workshop page of your itemthumbnail_img
- the image link of the thumbnail that is INSIDE your item page on the workshop (the thumbnail is the one with 200 pixels wide, you can get from your items page or add
/200x200.resizedimage to the end of the link)
**itens with larger thumbnails will not be accepted!**
- open for teams of any size
- its allowed one item per hero per team/person ( two or more items for the same hero made by the same team/person will not be accepted)
- everyone should keep posting feedback on other works, the feedback should be constructive
- the final submition need to be a single item that doesnt break the rules
- it must be submitted to the workshop before the deadline but not before the start of the competition
- The item should be made on the month of the competition, its ok to continue one started earlier, but you should work most of it during the month
- the deadline is the last day of the month at 23:59 (since we live in different timezones, some submitions may be accepted couple hours after the deadline)
- From this month and the next ones, its mandatory to post the work in progress, or else the submition will not be accepted!
---Tutorials/working in progress videoshttp://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123800
"It is absolutely insane the amount of top quality content that is being produced every single time here on Polycount. It's great to see so many cosmetics deliver not just on the technical end but also make for such great fittings in every other branch. You guys are doing an exceptional job and contests like this are only helping boost that exponentially. Brilliant stuff."Wykrhm Reddy
"It was bloody hard picking from this list, I honestly enjoyed all of the entries. Keep up the good work guys!"
Wow, that's really awesome. Please keep us at Valve informed so we can help draw attention to the winners, progress threads, etc.
Try to give some attention to heroes that are under-served so far (in terms of amount of content).
The success of sets tracks well with the popularity of the hero. (Although popularity can vary between updates and as Icefrog changes balance.)
Look for heroes that the community seems to have trouble creating content for. Good work can really open up the design landscape and help people think about the dynamic range of potential designs.
Don't forget about single items (instead of full sets). Many of the most popular items in the game are single items. Mounts and weapons make good candidates for this, but it varies by hero.
Mix up these approaches. So maybe one month you do a popular hero and another month you do a hero that has few items.-Brandon Reinhart (Valve)
I love you guys for doing this! Dota2 is my favorite game at the moment and Polycount is my favorite community! I'm very proud to be apart of such dedicated artists and I smile every time I see some Polycount work in game-coots7
the presentation is a really important part on the workshop, save some time before the deadline for that. the first impression means a lot on the workshop.
If you want to fancy your presentation here is a the polycount logo over the aegis, there is no need of it to be usedhttp://puu.sh/1QtZy