Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #12 - February

Replies

• Ulthraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza wrote: »
    You can work more on the texture though

Any suggestions on how to improve the texture?
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Ulthraan wrote: »
    Any suggestions on how to improve the texture?

well bones are more yellow than what you made. Your sword shows a very fresh clean white bone.

xeno_bone_sword_profile_by_michaelloh-d39o5qq.jpg

Also the sculpt needs to show a more hard surface, now yours is very soft.
    I suggest you to download Huskar's model. He is a good example of how bone should look like(at least in Dota2)
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    vertical wrote: »
    Still working on this after a break.

What do you guys use as a blending mode for diffuse generated from a normal map?

I made a comparison between the original sword against mine, and mine doesn't have that neat sharp white lines on the blade and my gold areas look a bit washed out. Suggestions/solutions? PS. I'm following the texture guide of Valve, but it still looks a little washed out like you can see at the right (mine), compared to Valve's (left).

QoJnIuF.png

Cheers!

You can normally use generated map to help push the edge highlights. I don't know if you have access to Crazybump but for my workflow I normally take the normal map into Crazybump. Go to Specularity, increase the detail sliders and reduce the contrast. Then copy that map and "Overlay" it in Photoshop with about 20-30% opacity.

You are looking for a result like this;

6ZuMZQV.jpg

I believe you can generate a height map in xNormal to similar effect though I haven't used the map it generates.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Still working on this after a break.

Sculpt:

What do you guys use as a blending mode for diffuse generated from a normal map?

I made a comparison between the original sword against mine, and mine doesn't have that neat sharp white lines on the blade and my gold areas look a bit washed out. Suggestions/solutions? PS. I'm following the texture guide of Valve, but it still looks a little washed out like you can see at the right (mine), compared to Valve's (left).

Cheers!
    I use tons of baked maps to get my light info like this. I use a Prtp and Prtn, green channel from a bent normal, a baked cavity map, a cavity map made from the xNormal filter, and the AO. These are all then combined with wizard magic in photo editing software, and I usually use this set to multiply above my colors. I can post it once I get home if you are interested.

Edit: This is similar to what I do, and is a good place to start:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123397498#19243
    Reza wrote: »
    well bones are more yellow than what you made. Your sword shows a very fresh clean white bone.

Also the sculpt needs to show a more hard surface, now yours is very soft.
    I suggest you to download Huskar's model. He is a good example of how bone should look like(at least in Dota2)

Perfect example of a bone sword. I really think the sculpt needs lots of love too. Right now I hardly see bone in this at all. Outside of the color, the shapes are not helping sell this to me as a bone sword. The textures also look very soft and blurry. You either did not give the UV enough love, and/or did not down sample your textures to the game rez format. The normal map seems to be doing nothing for you either. I think you need to slow down with this. you went from nothing to wip to submit in one post on a month long contest.
  • Godzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    early wip LC head item:

KZM9RBd.png
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Kite can you please post your stuffs? Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the baking section.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the last version of my LC weapon.Right past version, left new version.
    o5So7gq.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kite can you please post your stuffs? Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the baking section.

For the sake of size I posted this in my thread. This model was not the best, but it has the most white highlights in it out of the ones I have currently. Hope it helps

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2001573&postcount=7
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Kite/vertical, that's an inefficient amount of maps. You only need a few good ones: AO, Top-down/lightbake and Cavity. Pior illustrates how less is more in his thread (also how to make the cavity maps):
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1945484&postcount=63

I've used Knald, Crazybump and Xnormal photoshop filter all in my workflow for cavity maps at different times. At the moment I'm just using the photoshop filter because it's fastest and the results are equal to the others. I find Crazybump's a bit too sharp and pixelated and knald/crazybump are just bloating the workflow with another external app.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    Kite/vertical, that's an inefficient amount of maps. You only need a few good ones: AO, Top-down/lightbake and Cavity. Pior illustrates how less is more in his thread (also how to make the cavity maps):
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1945484&postcount=63

I've used Knald, Crazybump and Xnormal photoshop filter all in my workflow for cavity maps at different times. At the moment I'm just using the photoshop filter because it's fastest and the results are equal to the others. I find Crazybump's a bit too sharp and pixelated and knald/crazybump are just bloating the workflow with another external app.

yeah this looks to be way more efficient, going to have to play with this
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Sculpts done!
    DqxAe8p.png

Regarding the whole topic of bakes; I'm only baking bent normals, AO and cavity and using Handplane to convert the bent normals to a Source Engine-ready normal map and then using the other maps for this:
    9cop.png
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Refined my concept:
    BoRAyKf.jpg

I'm guessing the poly limit will shatter my dreams but I'm going to be ambitious and try for it anyways :P
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    i has progress

DM5y3RQ.jpg

bronto. i love that damn hair.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks everyone!
  • DoubleLeaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the helm.
    Wip_King_02.jpg

Hehe I like thems Hair Bronto!
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Bronto Nice workflow!! I have one question however, in your PS layer stack this one described as Normal (green channel) isn't actually blue channel? Typically red is for left-right, green is for up-down and blue is for in-out directions, and from what I see it looks more like blue channel, or I could be just mistaken because this part of an image is to small ^^'. Sorry for asking :D
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep! Despite what that guide says I actually use the blue channel too, I think the guy who made it might have just made a typo or something.
  • ChickenSoup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Terrible at playing Gyrocopter but really love his art style so may have a bash at an item for him, failing that I've always thought Skelly/wraith king would suit a stylised Claymore type weapon.

Decisions, decisions
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @2xLeaf - I like the sculpt, but don't you think the horns are a little too big?

@Bronto - What is the equivalent of the specularity map in xNormal terms?

I have a very rough sketch on a weapon. I intended to make it Wraith King but then I looked at it again and I can see how it can be for Legion Commander. Any thoughts on which hero I should choose to make this weapon for?

gVuPMvj.png
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpts done!

Regarding the whole topic of bakes; I'm only baking bent normals, AO and cavity and using Handplane to convert the bent normals to a Source Engine-ready normal map and then using the other maps for this:

This head is lookin sick! And I hope you mean object space normals, and not bent normals for handplane

DoubleLeaf wrote: »
    Heres the helm.

Why are you posting a set, this contest is for a single item for the hero you choose, but regardless its looking great
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the last change on my concept before I start modelling. Right one is the new one. Any feedback is appreciated.
    Jhm5MUL.jpg
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    cagdasx44 wrote: »
    And the last change on my concept before I start modelling. Right one is the new one. Any feedback is appreciated.
    Jhm5MUL.jpg

I'd say make the curves more dynamic. The curves aren't really making a good shape.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    So I finished up the basemesh of the concept that TheBladeOfEvil'sBane posted on the last page. I'm going to do the little winged part in zbrush.

u0mKZil.jpg
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the helm.
    Wip_King_02.jpg

If you ask me this this is pretty brutal :thumbup:
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    @DoubleLeaf: Looking like a good design and sculpt so far, although I have to say I think the horns may be slightly too big, I know you are going for an exaggerated size but I think they maybe need to be scaled down a touch. The current ones feel like they would be too much weight for his neck.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Reza:
    Thx for feedback I will do it more dynamic in modelling part, enough concepting for me
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    MdK wrote: »
    So I finished up the basemesh of the concept that TheBladeOfEvil'sBane posted on the last page. I'm going to do the little winged part in zbrush.

u0mKZil.jpg

looking nice MDK. How did you generate that image? Zbrush? Would love some details in terms of how you got the flat background, the lighting,...etc.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Vayne,

It's a simple render in Maya using Mental Ray physical sun and sky and the production quality render setting. The background is just a plane and the model is using a phong material.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Early sculpting :)

2iaeu84.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Sculpts done!
    http://i.imgur.com/DqxAe8p.png

Bent Normals isn't what you're supposed to plug into Handplane. You need to bake an Object Space Normal Map. It's a tick box in the normals setting in XNormal. The two maps appear visually similar but they are different in function. See (or any other thing describing what each map does):
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130695&page=2
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a start.
    Pls feedback I posted UV map because ı will decimate this is the mid poly.
    JiV9r1v.jpg
  • reallymadmaveric
    kite212 wrote: »

That hair would not have any motion with the stock rig for Gyro, or it will look really weird. The only bones that have motion are the scarf bones, and having used them, this hair would not work with Gyros default rig.

Thanks for that advice on the hair I took a look at it and see what you mean. Still tinkering with concepts currently keeping the monocle and now dropped the hair for a flying cap with metal bird. needs some more tinkering on this 330 low res to try to build a bomb in its claws

IQnMfxy.png
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    Bent Normals isn't what you're supposed to plug into Handplane. You need to bake an Object Space Normal Map. It's a tick box in the normals setting in XNormal. The two maps appear visually similar but they are different in function. See (or any other thing describing what each map does):
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130695&page=2

Lol yep I know, I just typed the wrong thing.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Would that mean like a gyro ward/hud/animation/loadout?
    For particles, I thought we couldn't do custom particles since it is Valve who does the particles. There's also little to no information on how to make your custom particles for dota 2.

Bundles should be optional just to give an item a little bit more flare. Sooner or later, if this keeps up, everyone will expect a bundle per item.

lack of documentation never stoped couriers before the in game compiler or the custom rig/animations on spirit of calm and the PA set to be accepted

its something that is happening for some time on the workshop now, people are fancing even more their items, with loading screens and nice SFM videos.

Trying to avoid that evolution is the same that the discussion months ago on the forum about people "cheating" with rendered promo images.

Also since there is some other things that can be submitted on the workshop like huds, wards and couriers, i see no problem in allowing them to participate
  • Toyoka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    So I've gotten MODO SE about a month ago and recently (a few days ago) finally completed a model from start to finish to get the workflow down. I've learned quite a bit from that and realized my model was too noisy (ie. too many small details in the texture, silhouette was too obscure, and I didn't have a solid idea of what it was going to be from the start) so I've decided to do something a little more "simple" in terms of design. Started working on a WK sword (sketch is just a rough base, the box modeling will simplify some of the details). Going for the 600 tris mark and will sculpt afterwards. Here's my progress so far (first contest I've entered!)

The top part of the sword (the cracked stuff wrapped up) is bone (ie. "remnants" of the former skeleton king). The wrap is a magical fabric sealed with souls (it will glow green with lettering). The bottom half of the blade is metal (or obsidian, I haven't made a decision on that yet). The handle and cross-guard will be gold, the pommel will have a garnet-colored/blood gem (as well as the center of the sword) which will glow as well. I may add additional fabric wraps to the other floating pieces of bone if I have polys to spare, otherwise I'll leave it as is :)

[Starting to block out the model, will post additional progress tomorrow when I got a comprehensive rough model to show off]
    6Kfn4.jpg
  • multitud3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    multitud3 polycounter lvl 5
    really cool stuff from everyone so far! here's a few quick concepts for some single items.

wraith king sword sketch:
    318ZpdU.jpg

gyro bomb doodle:
    uKgCb9U.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those concepts are sick!
  • iinewmanii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a concept for a weapon for Legion Commander. This is the second item I will have worked on for DOTA2. The first item being a weapon for Anti-Mage that I never submitted. I already know that I am not happy with the shape of the blade so that will change. and I would like to add a ribbon to the ring at the bottom of the weapon. I should have it ready for zbrush tomorrow. I don't really do 2d concepts I just kinda model stuff out.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c3CvIbz.jpg 2/3 Sculpts done! Now to figure out something for LC..
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Guys before I go to detailed map, what do you think about the silhouette?
    hs42kg.jpg
  • DoubleLeaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »

Why are you posting a set, this contest is for a single item for the hero you choose, but regardless its looking great

I acted before I finished reading, I just assumed it was anything goes for those characters :(

Well I'll bow out, thanks for the crits! I'll shrink the horns down.

Everyone is doing amazing work! Keep it up!
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I acted before I finished reading, I just assumed it was anything goes for those characters :(

Well I'll bow out, thanks for the crits! I'll shrink the horns down.

Everyone is doing amazing work! Keep it up!

You are allowed to post one item from the set!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    You are allowed to post one item from the set!

Yeah just pick a single from the set to use for comp, its way too good to bow out :poly124: I should have said that in my first post :poly142:
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the concept and kept it for WK,
    QAMtWLc.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Working on a concept by Stefco for LC. We pushing the boundaries and have other elements in store for this weapon.

PQFAJn4.jpg

Early sculpt WIP.

nPZ676z.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    multitud3 wrote: »
    really cool stuff from everyone so far! here's a few quick concepts for some single items.

gyro bomb doodle:
    uKgCb9U.jpg

this bomb looks sick, loved it (and im jelous that i didnt had this idea before =])

guys, thins month im going to participate, it was about time =]
    started some sketches from wrath king, its based on the sacred relic

6L0uu.jpg

any suggestion would be great!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    ^Hurry up and make it, it looks bad ass
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @multitude3- I did a barrel for a bomb alrdy!

Update for base sculpt
    UfWfWO6.png

Is it against the rules if I do a complete re-work and I start from scratch?
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    nPZ676z.jpg

May I ask how do you get those straight and clean lines and curves?
    I didn't find a single tutorial that explains that :(
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Basemesh in 3ds max ;)