Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #12 - February

Replies

• belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Had some free time, so I managed to make something really simple for this month's competition.

Flying Fez by Belkun and SLIMEface

200x200.resizedimage
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    belkun wrote: »
    Had some free time, so I managed to make something really simple for this month's competition.

Cool Fez!:thumbup:

Question for all people making Gyro hats. Why you no use lens bone for animation!? There is a bone that controls his goggles moving in and out, and a bit of his eyebrow, for the portrait. All the Gyro hats im seeing give this bone no love :(
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    kite212 wrote: »
    Cool Fez!:thumbup:

Question for all people making Gyro hats. Why you no use lens bone for animation!? There is a bone that controls his goggles moving in and out, and a bit of his eyebrow, for the portrait. All the Gyro hats im seeing give this bone no love :(

I saw that when rigging it, but I don't think that it was needed on those glasses since they're super simple. I would definitely use the bone if I had something fancier though :)

Does anyone have a clue why the Fez isn't showing up on the Workshop? You can access it through a direct link, but it doesn't show up on the most recent feed. Tried to make it hidden then public but nothing changed.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw that when rigging it, but I don't think that it was needed on those glasses since they're super simple. I would definitely use the bone if I had something fancier though :)

Does anyone have a clue why the Fez isn't showing up on the Workshop? You can access it through a direct link, but it doesn't show up on the most recent feed. Tried to make it hidden then public but nothing changed.

Part of the reason there is a 3rd lens on our Gyro hat :poly136: Is your submission finalized? I have seen this a few times where it does not show until it is finalized
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Part of the reason there is a 3rd lens on our Gyro hat :poly136: Is your submission finalized? I have seen this a few times where it does not show until it is finalized

Yup, revenue sharing is finalized. Also added service providers and all that stuff, but for some reason I can't get it to show up on the feed ):
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good, you managed to sort out he clipping issue then? Doesn't show up for me either. That's very odd. try deleting and resubmitting maybe?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Tried to resub and it still doesn't show up. Maybe the workshop is bugged again? Last submission that I can see is Navi's Bounty Hunter set.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried to resub and it still doesn't show up. Maybe the workshop is bugged again? Last submission that I can see is Navi's Bounty Hunter set.

i have had this with TF2 before where it would vanish, but then a few hours later, it was just appear.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    It works for me on the workshop's Most Recent page.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    It works for me on the workshop's Most Recent page.

Yeah, it's apparently fixed now. Probably a bug or hiccup on the servers, since I checked some other items and they also were submitted a couple of hours before appearing on the Most Recent feed.
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Almost ready to call this finished.3fJQeGZ.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Made some progress on the sword. Had to cut back on a lot of the design because 300 tri limit :/

scdsfvc_by_julionicoletti-d75ym4c.png
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Collabin with Chiniara on a Wraith King sword

GJNuVJ0.jpg
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Hello,
    Made a concept for a custom Gyrocopter propeller:
    gyrocopter_shark_head_concept.jpg
    I ran into some weird spacing issues when I exported it however and also saw that the default propeller still pops in. Exported some test geometry.
    gyrocopter_shark_head_test_mesh.jpg

I'm not sure if that is really how far in the propeller pops in. If so I will probably scrap the idea.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    This is what I originally exported but it looks like there is a spinning default propeller effect that always displays.

gyrocopter_shark_head_test_mesh_v1.jpg
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Hope you figure it out, EtotheRic, because that's a rad design.

As for my small bit of progress:

LCWingsWIP.JPG

Decided on wing-like "banners." Colors are quick block-in in Silo for previewing. How far past the stock parts are we allowed to extend our geometry normally? I'd like to spread the wings further out a bit, but at the same time I feel like it's a safer bet to keep them within the space of LC's stock flags. Going to finish gussying up the flags then I might embellish on the back coupler, given the geometry is there to do so.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Didn't think I would enter, but I wanted to practice some new changes to my workflow. Anyways, here's a concept for a pretty generic looking set - let me know if I'm straying too far into someone else's concept as I don't keep up with this thread well. Feel free to rip it a new one, etc.

ijSqsqfA5NVMr.jpg

Haven't thought of what to do with the shoulder yet.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    WipEout wrote: »
    I suggest you quit being a badass-- you're making me feel bad about myself :D

Seriously, though, that's a rad sword! My only suggestion would be to try to adjust the colors of the physical part of the sword, as the hilt, grip, and broken blade feel a little too similar in color. Maybe slightly darken the center of the blade and give the handle a darker leather wrap? Otherwise I got nothin'.
    Konras wrote: »
    @Tvidotto My only suggestion for your Relic would be maybe to make it more gold/yellow to match the armor of Wright more. Now it looks a little bit like it would be made out of copper metal. Other than that it looks really bad ass!!

made that, much better right now, thanks for the suggestion =]
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    I suggest you change the particle outline to a more particle volume like blade, so it doesnt look like something is supposed to be there, but rather, something really is there.. its just glowing.

i tried to add a model on the particles but was impossible to make it rotate with the attachment, spent a day just trying that. Particles sometimes doesnt make sense... i got it working on the loadout, but not in game
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    It is basically similar to what you would get when you use a normal map and bake a cavity map from it within nDo. This cavity map is much more subtle that the one you bake in XNormal. The tool linked by Motenai (link in here and also in Motenai's thread) does a better job since it also generates a very subtle highlight map with it too. The result, imo, is far superior to what I have seen yet.

Regarding the particles. Is it enabled for WK, or did you do a custom one yourself? If the latter, can you explain how you went about doing it?
    awesome! found on his thread, its amazing that i gets you 2 different textures. huge thanks for the link
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feedback appreciated

X3Cs8wvwvtY.jpg

OR

KciFH19ikDk.jpg

how are you uvs? looks like your loosing a lot of resolution on the textures. Are you mirrorirng the sides?
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Made some progress on the sword. Had to cut back on a lot of the design because 300 tri limit :/

scdsfvc_by_julionicoletti-d75ym4c.png

those 300 triangles are really hard to achieve
    Collabin with Chiniara on a Wraith King sword

GJNuVJ0.jpg

i would suggest to check what BladeofEvils change on the sword on the previous quote, you guys may need to simplification on the silhouette to get to the 300 triangles

----

also i finished the Relic Sword, i hope you guys like it

Relic Sword by T_Vidotto

200x200.resizedimage

and thanks for all the feedback. i will take next week as a vacation with my wife and will be planning an legion commander weapon, sketchbook is ready!

F570EAFCEA6B13143EE1BB86804AC828619FA012

14CA3FF1265A9B0F7DF9446C23D649C6F9B84F3E

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IIF_EDunVk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IIF_EDunVk[/ame]
  • Stefco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco polycounter lvl 5
    ^that sword is insane!

heres a preview on the lc wep Vayne and i work on

qAy1XR6.gif

the little red crystal moves around, any suggestions on how to improve the axe?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    All done! Now I have to disappear to complete a secret project!

Regal Curls of the Wraith King by BrontoThunder

ZPEhCDH.jpg

Stechhelm by BrontoThunder

8I3lhaR.jpg

High-Flyin' Headgear by BrontoThunder

0k9RylL.jpg
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My chance to win went down to something like %1 :D
    Anyways everybody here did awesome work and bronto 3 items done already??? Amazing!!
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    I've been gone a couple of days and just got back and finished my UV unwrap/ a baking model (why don't more people post their UV's for crits or something?)

cXghneV.png

Also on another topic. I hinted to multitud3 about his concept that he is doing with kraken that it looks very similar to my powder keg concept which I've worked on.

Mine:

cIWDAAp.png

His:

QbnWLWR.jpg

Now I know that it not exactly the same, but everyone can agree that this is a rocket barrel. If some say that there is a big difference between the two they would be wrong because the main feature of the weapon is not the wings or paint or color, but the main feature, the selling point, is that the missle is a barrel.

I know that I'm not the best concept artist/modeler and I'm not saying that I can do a better job than kraken. All i'm saying is that this concept is really similar to my concept. I did "finish" my idea but I didn't submit it to the workshop just because I know that it wouldn't be a good submission with my abilities back then. So I decided not to submit it until I revisit the project after I make sometihng that seems passable in dota 2.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Making some progress on the polypaint of TheBladeOfEvilsBane's concept! Still got the handle part to go. This is flat colours.

qqRDTd0.jpg
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what I did with the cavity. I posted a pic of cavity map as well. I just multiply at %60. And in right it is a pic which created by marmoset. This is my first cavity map, I dont even know if it should be like this, I used motenai's some said that you can have 2 different image with it I couldnt figure out what is the other one. Feedback is appreciated.

nw5BJDS.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco wrote: »
    ^that sword is insane!

heres a preview on the lc wep Vayne and i work on

the little red crystal moves around, any suggestions on how to improve the axe?

Whats the point of the tiny red crystal? It just seems so small and out of place, and I would think it will be super small in the in game view
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Blade of Shadows by Ares

C093A248C94560C7FD1B0D3EEB19279EA6882F84

When Tresdin arrived at the battlefield heros were unsure how a woman can be in anyway a commander, and how could she be strong without any alliance to a lesser being like Luna and Mirana who derrive their powers from the Moon goddess. But when she started to swing her massive blade, heads started to fall and everyone feared her presence, so much that people would flee from her when she was seen approaching the battlefield. Thus Tresdin searched for a weapon to take away that advantage, she thought to her self: "how could they flee if they cannot see me coming?" and thus the search began. After a long while she finally was able to find shadow essence hidden in a cellar under the ruined castle of the fallen king, she took what she could and gave it to the able female smith Nyxiana who delved in magic to forge mysterious yet powerful weapons. After 3 days and 3 nights Nyxiana was able to embed the shadow essence into a long blade. When Tresdin wielded the weapon with a single move she disappeared within the shadows and was unseen until she moved her blade again. With this blade she now marches in the battlefield and strikes down lone unsuspecting heros who only came to scout or push their lane. Tresdin has now become what everyone fears most, death hidden in the shadows.
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished this big mouth dude concept:

9PHkGXU.png

Now time it's time to vikk0 do his magic. B)
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Whats the point of the tiny red crystal? It just seems so small and out of place, and I would think it will be super small in the in game view

I agree-- give it a more unique silhouette, if you can spare the tris. Right now it's barely a sliver on my screen, I'd be concerned that it wouldn't be visible at all in-game.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    My LC weapon took a bit of a turn. I figured the blade was too hefty for dual swords, turned it into a funky 2h sword. This is the start of the sculpt.
    nHXNUas.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    hey guys , lovely subbmisions so far:)

I decided to update my wraith king sketch for a more detailed one

sb4n55.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Comin along

(use ALL the post processing!)

sword_for_wraith_king_by_julionicoletti-d763wep.png
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    What is this post processing trickery! Please give details ^^!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha it's just some marmoset 2 lighting. And then I took the render into PS, motionblurred it, and put it behind the original render.

Just finished the low poly and bakes! Sadly I'm busy tomorrow night but thursday I'll be able to texture and friday I shall composite and submit
    dcsefse_by_julionicoletti-d7643jp.png
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anyone know how to import LC weapon it floating in floor.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    cagdasx44 wrote: »
    does anyone know how to import LC weapon it floating in floor.

Position it exactly as it is in the workshop source file, then bone it to weapon_0 (and nothing else).
    When testing it, it will be on the ground for the first couple of seconds, then it'll be fine.
  • cagdasx44
  • DoubleLeaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since I cant still show one item from my set I will go with the sword.

Baked down ready to paint.'

Wip_King_03.jpg
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tested my weapon ingame I think it is pretty done.
    viCW1Fi.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been gone a couple of days and just got back and finished my UV unwrap/ a baking model (why don't more people post their UV's for crits or something?)

cXghneV.png

Also on another topic. I hinted to multitud3 about his concept that he is doing with kraken that it looks very similar to my powder keg concept which I've worked on.

Mine:

cIWDAAp.png

His:

QbnWLWR.jpg

Now I know that it not exactly the same, but everyone can agree that this is a rocket barrel. If some say that there is a big difference between the two they would be wrong because the main feature of the weapon is not the wings or paint or color, but the main feature, the selling point, is that the missle is a barrel.

I know that I'm not the best concept artist/modeler and I'm not saying that I can do a better job than kraken. All i'm saying is that this concept is really similar to my concept. I did "finish" my idea but I didn't submit it to the workshop just because I know that it wouldn't be a good submission with my abilities back then. So I decided not to submit it until I revisit the project after I make sometihng that seems passable in dota 2.

the uvs doesnt help much if you dont post the lowpoly too, i would like to understand some parts of the uv to help with a better feedback

about the 2 concepts, they are really near one to the other, but as you said, its not the most creative idea ever, you got something that exist and added wings to it.

but let me ask. Did you post the concept before they started working on this? is there a way to prove that you made it first and the second one could be based on yours?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

i agree with this, could work better without it in my opinion
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Finished up the polypaint and some weathering, time to start the retopo!

8YzXB9h.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tvidotto

Here is the UV/Low poly bake model with quick color overlays so its easier to read
    TW7tOTQ.png

but let me ask. Did you post the concept before they started working on this? is there a way to prove that you made it first and the second one could be based on yours?
    Yes i can prove I made my item first, just look at the submission from my post and the concept
    My thread post #132 dated 1-23-2014 has a WIP image.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1993557&postcount=132

His post #53 and quote "here's some sketches for the monthly contest" dated 2-04-2014
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2002225&postcount=53

I didn't post any concept of a barrel missile on polycount but I did do WIP images until the end of the project. I didn't have a drawn concept and I just modeled it free hand in zBrush with just some reference materi. But as you can see from the WIP images and the date it was posted, I clearly made barrel missile more than a week before the February competition was even decided.

*I also used concept as Idea instead of an actual drawn concept, but I still did do the model before multitud3's concept.
  • multitud3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    multitud3 polycounter lvl 5

cXghneV.png

Mine:

cIWDAAp.png

His:

QbnWLWR.jpg

Hey GhostDetector, I'm really sorry for the overlap in ideas! I honestly didn't see that you had made a barrel for Gyro, else I would've done something else completely. I double checked this thread and the workshop before posting the concept, to make sure there wasn't a similar concept (I was surprised, honestly, that there wasn't).

Just to be clear, I didn't see your idea, and then steal/modify it.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Multitud3, yea I'm not saying that you stole it intentionally and are a horrible person because of it, but I was mainly pointing out the issue that people don't really look at other people's threads. It seems like lots of ppl just use polycount for advertisement rather than critism/improvement.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    To be honest, people shouldn't have to go through every single thread to see if an item's been done. Its not on the workshop yet either so there's realistically no way multitude could have known about your item.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I am looking to every new post of every thread, everyday.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Got my retopo and bakes done, would love some feedback on this! I feel like I lost a lot of the polypaint detail but I suppose it's inevitable.

k170zKu.jpg

and the UVs:

yZyr8rb.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    To be honest, people shouldn't have to go through every single thread to see if an item's been done. Its not on the workshop yet either so there's realistically no way multitude could have known about your item.

i normally dont look the personal threads too, unless someone asks me to deal with something, its really hard because nowadays there is a lot going on all the treads, its hard to follow.

well, there is not much the forum can do about the coincidence or stolen ideas unless its really obvious (as it happened before).

time to throw a concept too

6TB5w.jpg

im unsure about a lot of things like the holes and the "pomel". But i always feels more confortable in the 3d part.
    this concept thing is always hard =]