Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #12 - February

Replies

• Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Because of support from workshop artists we are able to make handplane a freeware tool. The downside of this is that we no longer have commercial licenses we can offer into the monthly competitions. Anyone who wants a commercial license can grab one off of the handplane site. Everyone is a winner! :) I am going to talk with Thiago and I will try and come up with something else handplane can offer to incentivise and reward participation.

We also have a new build coming with improvements for workshop artists. I am hoping that is only 2-3 weeks away.

Handplane is being great to us those days, im glad that is now a freeware =]

---

finally finished this guy

War Banner Weapon by T_Vidotto

200x200.resizedimage

JLIkHa0.jpg

21E8F48CBF5485D12D5AA0F9FCD36B8EF5DD7617

K92RVyg.gif
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    K92RVyg.gif

Thats great, would love to see this one as an extra style :thumbup:
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    @Tvidotto: That is pretty cool! Really clever idea. The painting is also quite clever.

Did you weight some verticies to the flags on her back?

Did you consider using a particle effect like the one on tusk/storm spirit's hats?

Either way, ths is great :3

PS. whooo Handplane guys are great!
  • RunForest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RunForest null
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, I won't finish this within the night but here is what I had for the polypaint so far. I'll post this in the regular Dota thread from now on.

Legionnaire_Concepts_004.jpg
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Aurel's Revenge by EtotheRic (Maki Attack)

gyro_shark_prop_preview_200.jpg

Workshop Link

Description:
    Aurel never forgot being shot down from the skies on his maiden voyage. To that end he set to crafting a propeller enhancement that would strike fear into the hearts and minds of assailants before raining down sweet vengeance upon those who once mocked his lofty endeavors.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been getting some funky results with handplane.
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    EtotheRic wrote: »

Could you post up the Object Space that you are inputting and the 'funky' Tangent space you are getting back out?

Or an image of the funky results?

Unless funky means good in this context...then ignore me.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    Thats great, would love to see this one as an extra style :thumbup:

=]]
    a not so subtle green tooth appears
    Reyne wrote: »
    @Tvidotto: That is pretty cool! Really clever idea. The painting is also quite clever.

Did you weight some verticies to the flags on her back?

Did you consider using a particle effect like the one on tusk/storm spirit's hats?

Either way, ths is great :3

PS. whooo Handplane guys are great!

nop, i made 4 new bones and bind the flag to it, created a cloth file a made a lot of tests to get on this result, A LOT!!

maybe that help you, on the left is the object space normals, and on the right is he output from Handplane

also dont forget to add the lowpoly as an imput too

7eICU.jpg

---

guy, wrapping up the month, im going to add everyone to the first posts and let you guys know when its ready. i will get some people to judge that not participated on this month. Do you guys think we should open for public voting and add that as another judge?

---

also, for the next month we are going for single items for the new heroes, so if you guys want to start there is no need to wait
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Cool! Thanks Tvidotto. I wasn't even aware you could add new bones.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I recently had some odd handplane issues, my problems were mainly from my exports jacking up my low poly. My solution to all my problems was to set my fbx export to z-up. Bad results could also come from your unwrap, if your symmerty and reuse is bad, then your output tangents will be bad, so seeing your unwarp and the baking models with the obj space map will help
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you post up the Object Space that you are inputting and the 'funky' Tangent space you are getting back out?

Or an image of the funky results?

Unless funky means good in this context...then ignore me.

Sure thing. Here is an example. What is strange is it only happens on some pieces. For instance, I got these dark areas on the head and the nose whereas the rest of the normals output correctly. I added hard edges to the mesh and it no longer output the dark areas. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    handplane_edges.jpg
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Sure thing. Here is an example. What is strange is it only happens on some pieces. For instance, I got these dark areas on the head and the nose whereas the rest of the normals output correctly. I added hard edges to the mesh and it no longer output the dark areas. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    handplane_edges.jpg

Hmm, this is interesting Just a few things to check I guess:

-Are you baking the OS Normals with the exact same low poly mesh that you are putting through Handplane?

-Are all the normals pointing out the right way on the .obj mesh that you put through handplane? (exporting error maybe)

-Is there any sneaky doubled up geometry?

Just some suggestions, I am sure there are some much more experienced users that might have a better idea then me.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

What do the smoothing groups look like? If a hard edge is the solution my guess would be a smoothing error
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    {whoops - wrong thread!}
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    What do the smoothing groups look like? If a hard edge is the solution my guess would be a smoothing error

Initially there were no smoothing groups (hard edges) and that's what gave me the dark areas on the ouput normal map. Once I added a hard edge to the meshes that got rid of that error. I'll have to experiment a bit more with it and see if I can narrow down the problem.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

-Are you baking the OS Normals with the exact same low poly mesh that you are putting through Handplane?

-Are all the normals pointing out the right way on the .obj mesh that you put through handplane? (exporting error maybe)

Just some suggestions, I am sure there are some much more experienced users that might have a better idea then me.

Thanks, yes, I used the same geometry in handplane. I was able to replicate the same dark areas however using both the original low res mesh and the final LOD mesh. I used an external cage in xnormal (the one I exported from baking the lighting in maya) so I'm wondering if that possibly introduced a problem.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, I wasn't going to post in here again, but since this thread is still stickied and a thread for March hasn't cropped up, here is my finished item for Legion Commander. I hope you guys like it as I feel that I am getting the hand of making stuff for Dota 2 a bit more. Anyways, if you like it, please click the link and give me a thumbs up on Steam. :):thumbup:

Valkyrie_Thumb.jpg
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks, yes, I used the same geometry in handplane. I was able to replicate the same dark areas however using both the original low res mesh and the final LOD mesh. I used an external cage in xnormal (the one I exported from baking the lighting in maya) so I'm wondering if that possibly introduced a problem.

Hm, could you try just baking a TS Normal map in Xnormal/Maya to see if it is actually handplane causing the issue? As far as I am aware, you shouldn't need hard edges n a mesh like that, especially when using handplane.

To me it still looks like there are two verticies in the same location. I could easily be wrong. I wish you the best of luck trying to solve this problem :D
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Hey, sorry for the slow response on this. I don't check PC as much on the weekend. That looks like the same bug that was found recently. We should have a beta build with a fix for it in the next few weeks. You can fix the issue by not smoothing around extremely accute angles. Obviously in the long term that is not good enough, there will be a patch to prevent this from happening.

Also, if anyone finds an issue with their normal map output and they go to the trouble to do some testing and can't figure out the cause- just shoot me an email so I can take a look. alecmoody@gmail.com
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, sorry for the slow response on this. I don't check PC as much on the weekend. That looks like the same bug that was found recently. We should have a beta build with a fix for it in the next few weeks. You can fix the issue by not smoothing around extremely accute angles. Obviously in the long term that is not good enough, there will be a patch to prevent this from happening.

Also, if anyone finds an issue with their normal map output and they go to the trouble to do some testing and can't figure out the cause- just shoot me an email so I can take a look. alecmoody@gmail.com

Well it looks like I was wrong. :D

Really good of you to be helping people out Alec and thanks for making Handplane freeware. You're a great guy!
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Oh that's great!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

did you also check if you dont have an overlapping uv? what i usually do is move all the repeated parts to the left so it doesn mess my bake.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

im going to add every finished entry on the first posts and go for the judges. Just to keep it clear, for this month we are getting one of that mighty polycount trophy for the winner but we are keeping the top 5 feature as usual.

We are also getting an official post on polycount about the first 3 winners.

Also, we may have an extra prize but i will let you guys know as everything is defined

Cheers!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for everyone that used the thumbnail on the correct size!! i think i need to be more direct about using the 200px size thumbnail, takes a lot of time going on the workshop pages just to get the link

i will make the new month thread at night because i already spent more time then i should on the forum

Let me know if i forget anyone, you guys have one day to check then i will get the guys to judge

cheers!
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    yeah look like that the gyrobomp and 4 items above the last one at #2, the first and second one at #3, the first and the third one at #4 havent got the item and/or creator names yet
  • ike_ike
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Here's a list of submissions that need correction, I formatted them and put the links in so all you need to do is copypaste into their respective spot (the corrections are in order from top of the page to the bottom). All images are resized, and the last one is a submission that was missed so I just put everything there. Thanks!

Firey Cask by multitud3 [Red Moon] and Kraken
    Narcissus Edge by Frohike
    Great Blade of Eren by Deadman and ultimatec

Cursed Reaper by Oroboros [Red Moon] and Kraken

200x200.resizedimage
    Obsidian Great Blade by motenai and Ken
    Blood Votive Blade by Chiniara and BladeofEvil'sBane

Pauldron of the Eternal King
    by Nickel Beer

200x200.resizedimage

(resized image)

200x200.resizedimage

(resized image)

200x200.resizedimage
    Shark G-70 by PatoRadioativo, Chiniara, and LuckCosta
    Maw of Eternal Hunger by vikk0 and Mango
    Weathered Windsock
    by ike_ike

2qvtguq.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a list of submissions that need correction, I formatted them and put the links in so all you need to do is copypaste into their respective spot (the corrections are in order from top of the page to the bottom). All images are resized, and the last one is a submission that was missed so I just put everything there. Thanks!

Huge thanks sir!

that was totally unexpected =]

@ike, sorry for missing yours, i remember that i added it on the thread but maybe i copied another over it, thanks for pointing that out

@quackhanhlk thanks for remembering me
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    No worries! I have a new-found appreciation for you compiling the lists haha.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just noticed that i was missing one entry, i think everyone is in right now

and with a nice layout =]
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Heya, I know in PM you mentioned mine was added - but I'm not seeing it at the moment on the main list... Just want to be sure :poly121:

Cheers!

Ballistic Goggles by Prophet9 and SLIMEFace

200x200.resizedimage
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 wrote: »
    Heya, I know in PM you mentioned mine was added - but I'm not seeing it at the moment on the main list... Just want to be sure :poly121:

Cheers!

Ballistic Goggles by Prophet9 and SLIMEFace

200x200.resizedimage

omg you are right, i think that post was on the limit of images, i will post on the next one, thanks for warning me
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, everything ready, i got 4 guys to judge and posted a link o reddit for a public voting

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/20br6r/polycount_monthly_dota_2_community_contest_voting/

good luck everyone!

our judges are:

Tobywan from JoinDota
    Bruno Carlucci from the GD studio
    Adam Bromell form Polycount and Ubisoft
    Alec Mody from Handplane
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone!

Sorry for the delay, since we had a physical prize this time we had to be sure if that everything fine and fair to everyone.

As i said we had some Dota personalities judging this month along with game artists not direct related to Dota.

Judges
    Tobywan from JoinDota
    Bruno Carlucci from the GD studio
    Adam Bromell form Polycount and Ubisoft
    Alec Moody from Handplane

We also had a public voting to act as the 5th judge.

and the Winners for this month are:

Winners

1st Place - Relic Sword by T_Vidotto

200x200.resizedimage

2nd Place - Stechhelm by BrontoThunder

200x200.resizedimage

3rd Place - Black King Banner by rocket and shock

lc%20bkb%20thumb%20200x200.jpg

4th Place - Rocketeer's Cap by Frump

200x200.resizedimage

5th Place - Cursed Reaper by Oroboros [Red Moon] and Kraken

200x200.resizedimage

----

Congrats everyone that won and entered the contest, the main idea of the contest is to help improve our skills and i hope everyone won on that subject

Greentooth Trophy

And as promised we are going to get a Greentooth trophy for the winner! And as i organize the contest would be fair if I win so it goes to Bronto Thunder !

Congrats Benjamin, you submitted some really nice items this month and deserved the mighty Greentooth.

and no, its not April fools

I will need your address later for the shipping

pc_gttroph.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    congrats everyone, great works
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, I didn't expect to place in this comp, that's great! Can we find out how the judges voted?

Grats to the other fellows that placed! 5 slots barely seems like enough.