Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Aaah the seams, right, yeah I'm using Maya and it's got preserve UVs as well. Thanks, I'm touched by your helpfulness :D
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Now that is sexy
    8uBKxXg.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Neox wrote: »
    thanks for the reply man!

it obviously does not work as the normal shader.

It is a known problem anuxi and others ran into the same issue.
    The only way to get something like specular is either removing the tinting entirely, which makes the specular completely purpleish. I could load up a working mask setup from any weapon and it doesn't work on the courier.

Now if i remove the tinting and have that purple specular it doesn't get touched by the glossyness at all.
    I tried back and forth, removing the rim for instance or making it 100% it doesn't work like the other assets so far, so is there any type of documentation to see how the masks are used?

okay lets try to dig deeper, on Mask1 metalness works, selfillu does as well, the other 2 channels are not needed in this case.
    My Selfillu is 0 my metallness like 10%.

Mask 2 does pretty much nothing, well it does stuff, but lets show you

first of all my current test masks, its obviously not a final texture but i'm constantly playing around with the values, so until i know how it works i keep it messy. As said, even maps from working assets don't work at all on a courier.

here are my masks:

mask01.jpg
    So the spec is high at places, the Rim is 0 besides on small white pixel to not mess with the compiler, the Tint is also 0 besides one pixel and the gloss is semisharp with sharp areas here and there

the current result

mask02.jpg
    the result, Now lets invert the rim

mask03.jpg
    no change whatsoever, the green channel is completely white besides a bit of black, obviously as it is inverted.

now lets invert the tinting
    mask04.jpg
    oh nice, purple spec, not white as on all other assets.
    Okay lets try to make it sharper at places, with tuning the glossiness, his thigh is a good place to test this

mask05.jpg
    current status of mask2

mask06.jpg
    The result, no change at all - now lets ramp up the spec at places

mask07.jpg
    mask08.jpg
    you see a difference? yeah me neither, okay lets try something else, lets remove the spec entirely.

mask09.jpg
    mask10.jpg
    not a single F* was given.

Can you repost this on the dota2 dev forums? This is very well laid out and could help them in fixing the courier shaders :)
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    vhqNbU0.jpg

So I managed to get my first item in to dota, but does anyone know how to get the particle effects working for the bow string, or how to make your own ones? Is this something usually handled by Valve, or something I need to do?
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I just finished the sculpt for my crystal maiden staff, i'm posting it here for critics and opinions. any suggestions for amelioration ?

I know its not very readable, and the inscriptions are a bit random. What do you think ? I Need someone else to comment on this before o proceed ( amateur here ... )

4soa9t.png
  • JeremyKlein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyKlein polycounter lvl 6
    I recently finished up a pudge set with danidem here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=152429033

ED10C7ADB3EB2FEAC5020FC272F9CD129B5F0BEE

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7muktcKA5kE&"]The Ol' Chopper - YouTube[/ame]

and I just finished up a Skeleton King Sword With Rayph Beinser.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=154560843&searchtext=

26C5353A821CC5CF18AFEECC615ECCE7CE081E97
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Goldo_O wrote: »
    @Neox: Ah, that would explain why I couldn't get what I wanted either :D I spent hours doing tests and nothing was changing. Is it alpha on the feather of his hat? I couldn't get the alpha working myself.

nope, the alpha from the color map is another feature that does not work, so invested the polies
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JeremyKlein and Danidem, holy shit! That is some badass stuff you guys got there, and the video is top notch. Great work! Skeleton sword is also great, but i think it would stand out more if you add another color, maybe the eyes? Just something more to catch the attention.
  • Kuhlhaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuhlhaus greentooth
    Neox wrote: »
    thanks for the reply man!

it obviously does not work as the normal shader.

It is a known problem anuxi and others ran into the same issue.
    The only way to get something like specular is either removing the tinting entirely, which makes the specular completely purpleish. I could load up a working mask setup from any weapon and it doesn't work on the courier.

Now if i remove the tinting and have that purple specular it doesn't get touched by the glossyness at all.
    I tried back and forth, removing the rim for instance or making it 100% it doesn't work like the other assets so far, so is there any type of documentation to see how the masks are used?

okay lets try to dig deeper, on Mask1 metalness works, selfillu does as well, the other 2 channels are not needed in this case.
    My Selfillu is 0 my metallness like 10%.

Mask 2 does pretty much nothing, well it does stuff, but lets show you

first of all my current test masks, its obviously not a final texture but i'm constantly playing around with the values, so until i know how it works i keep it messy. As said, even maps from working assets don't work at all on a courier.

here are my masks:

mask01.jpg
    So the spec is high at places, the Rim is 0 besides on small white pixel to not mess with the compiler, the Tint is also 0 besides one pixel and the gloss is semisharp with sharp areas here and there

the current result

mask02.jpg
    the result, Now lets invert the rim

mask03.jpg
    no change whatsoever, the green channel is completely white besides a bit of black, obviously as it is inverted.

now lets invert the tinting
    mask04.jpg
    oh nice, purple spec, not white as on all other assets.
    Okay lets try to make it sharper at places, with tuning the glossiness, his thigh is a good place to test this

mask05.jpg
    current status of mask2

mask06.jpg
    The result, no change at all - now lets ramp up the spec at places

mask07.jpg
    mask08.jpg
    you see a difference? yeah me neither, okay lets try something else, lets remove the spec entirely.

mask09.jpg
    mask10.jpg
    not a single F* was given.

Maybe I ask a stupid question. You save the mask in a 32-bit TGA? And you changed the name when uploading the files?
    I ask because I had the same problem. And in this way I solved it.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Can you guys please snip the images on the reply post? Two pages worth of rolling of past posts just for two lines of answer is kinda a waste of space ;)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuhlhaus wrote: »
    Maybe I ask a stupid question. You save the mask in a 32-bit TGA? And you changed the name when uploading the files?
    I ask because I had the same problem. And in this way I solved it.

yes and yes, the caching issue is known to me and that changing the name fixes this, however not in this case. It does update, and the channels i said are working get updated.
    but spec, gloss, color alpha and rim do absolutely nothing - on the courier, they work as they should on any other item so far.

anyways

the axe based on the concept of stefco is done, now back to the items or crew designed :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=154678613
    twins_06.jpg
    This extrordinary axe was forged by a drunken omexean forgemaster who's mind had crossed the edge to insanity ages ago. He fused the earth, rock and metal of the drylands of Omexe into this odd shape. At first it caused plenty of sneering and mockery when Bradwarden the Warrunner first wielded the axe on the battlefield. That is until his enemies saw him chopping his first opponent's both arms in one strike. From that day only terror shows in the faces of those who stand in the way of the Twins of Rok.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Neox presentation shot of your items are always superb!
    Weapon looks even better ingame. Gold material came out really well! To bad you can't tweak material on you courier in such way :/ Anyway I could image that those arms were chopped from Alchemist hero while he was preparing his mixture :p
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Hi guys, after months from the beginning, me and randname finally finished the Death Prophet set we started back in the day for the contest.
    Hecate's Gift is in the workshop since a few hours, yay!

Hecate's Gift Workshop Link

dp_final_beauty.jpg

dp_final_ingame.jpg
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    This set is absolutely baller. Hope it goes in, so I can buy it!

Props to the promo pic also. Very well done.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    Hi guys, after months from the beginning, me and randname finally finished the Death Prophet set we started back in the day for the contest.

dp_final_beauty.jpg

dp_final_ingame.jpg

Best DP set evar! xD I remember watching you work on this during the comp, so I'm super stoked you finally finished it!

So I was thinking, I stream all my work but wondered how cool it would be to stream a google hangouts with a few other people who also make dota2, items. People can ask us questions and we can talk about it between us, then if you guys want to stream you can and we can pimp you out over the stream and on twitter so more people will follow your work.

The downside is only 10 people can be in a hangout at a time. even if someone doesnt stream the hangout it will be nice to hang out with other dota2 artists.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13

So I was thinking, I stream all my work but wondered how cool it would be to stream a google hangouts with a few other people who also make dota2, items. People can ask us questions and we can talk about it between us, then if you guys want to stream you can and we can pimp you out over the stream and on twitter so more people will follow your work.

The downside is only 10 people can be in a hangout at a time. even if someone doesnt stream the hangout it will be nice to hang out with other dota2 artists.
    That sounds like a really cool idea, I've just got all my stuff set up for streaming and I'll be starting tomorrow so I'm absolutely interested.

There are so many questions that I get asked and see other artists get asked regarding all this crazy item-making business it would be a great venue to give out as many answers as possible to as many people as possible.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Twitch getting fixed in my region can't happen to sooner :-(
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds like a really cool idea, I've just got all my stuff set up for streaming and I'll be starting tomorrow so I'm absolutely interested.

There are so many questions that I get asked and see other artists get asked regarding all this crazy item-making business it would be a great venue to give out as many answers as possible to as many people as possible.

Just curious, will this be published here on poly forums or elsewhere in the web ? i'm 100% sure it will be a valuable gem.

As for ppl i'd like to see in this discussion : Anuxi (duh, original idea) , Bronto ( last interview was very informative, and very modest from you !) , vlad the impapler (is that correct spelling ? ) , roboguys ( the ones with robot avatars that seemingly work toghether) , T_vidotto (obviously), and Neox (airborn studios, they have a marvelous and kicka** start on the workshop).
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if only time zones worked like that xD
  • Gamer_Alien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if only time zones worked like that xD

Lol good point :D

but i really want to see all of you together :D

I don't know. You're the celebs, you figure it out :D
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Streaming a hangout is a cool idea. It would get us all an equal amount of viewers instead of splitting them to individual twitch pages. Given timezones and whatnot the limit of 10 people at a time is probably not too bad.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Does anyone have a download or something to the Dota2 materials from the VPK file? My GCFScape is being a rat and won't read the pak01_dir correctly or extract the materials folder. The models folder extracted fine so I don't need that.
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Cross posting from my own thread :)

In the midst of creating my set for Nature's Prophet this month - I decided to create a Slark dagger based on an idea that's been floating around in my head for a while.

Slarks Obsidian Dagger
    This razor sharp dagger is made of volcanic glass from the depths near Dark Reef. After his escape, Slark chipped away the dagger and wrapped it with bone and leather. The thin edges scintillate with color as Slark bounds along dispatching his enemies.

3yW3iBk.jpg

• vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Does anyone have a download or something to the Dota2 materials from the VPK file? My GCFScape is being a rat and won't read the pak01_dir correctly or extract the materials folder. The models folder extracted fine so I don't need that.
    update the GCFscape, new version is out
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    update the GCFscape, new version is out

Derp. I checked Nem's site and it said posted on Jan 17th 2006. I didn't see the modified On Jan 28th 2013. Thanks.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finally! Been waiting forever for this one :D This is hands down the best set for DP i have ever seen. Grats on the finishing the set you two! Instavote from me. I would be surprised/mad if this doesn't get into the game. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10

Absolutely outstanding. Hands down the best set Ive seen so far.

I can only aspire to do work of this quality. Well done!
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

GOD DAMN IT! Look fabulous. Tons of details and crisp textures. I am really curious how did you packed your UVs :)
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Well the whole thing started with the Polycount Google+ hangouts during the original contest so I think it'd be a great idea, I'd be down.

@motenai
    Fucking awesome how it turned out! Good to see it finally finished, though it was well worth the wait.
  • SLIMEface
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The other thing is, there's quite a few of us streaming including Anuxi, Hawf, Hudston, Nannou, Vid, Vlad and myself. It sucks that if we want to stream, we each have to do our own thing more or less. I really enjoy whenever somebody from Polycount stops by in the twitch chat and I think the Hangouts would be great to bridge that gap and not have everybody separate.

I had an idea a couple of weeks back of making a Polycount twitch channel, where we can basically have any of us stream from more or less a semi-official channel but have it under one roof, again the main gripe I had with streaming being that it more or less forces all the Polycount artists who want to stream into different corners and I really enjoy the social aspects that the streaming brings. I think this would combo nicely with the Hangout idea so if a couple of you are interested, I'll set it up.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i just opened a hangout to see how it works now, how can i create an empty one? that doesn't seem to exist anymore

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/74034d4bdd9552169a9718512cb725aa9cce6ac9?hl=en-GB
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    hey guys, just finished a alternative sword for my dk set :)

check it out here if u wish : http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198026621056/myworkshopfiles/?appid=570

8A4B6270A32814A6509D66D428F8C844C1873C6D
    B279E20ADC875B9727510FEB0FD306F4640A2A0F
  • Anuxinamoon
  • TommyTehZombie
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Wanted to pimp out my latest item. The badASS concept is by multitud3! Glad to have finished my first collaborative item: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=155062108razor_icon.jpg
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    I tried my hand at doing folds
    1b2d.jpg

Should I have the flower as the neck slot or do I make a neck slot and just have the flower be part of the head?
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
  • Fluoxetine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone, new guy reporting in. :D

I've been working on this item for a while now, and figuring things out has been a nightmare.. >_>

QgjMnxE.jpg

So... It's not perfect, but I'm happy with how it turned out. (Being my first adventure into lowpoly modeling/sculpting/handpainting, etc..) If any of you awesome people could spare a few words to CNC that would be brilliant. :D

Now, the problem I'm having is this...The item looks OK ingame, for the most part.

KKZDvqB.jpg

Attack and Idle animations are all fine, but running, among things is not...

6XWtif1.jpg

Has anyone encountered anything like this? I've searched a bit through the topic and from what i could gather, people that had alignment issues had them with all animations. Not partial like here. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. (Almost definitely more than one thing.)

Sorry for the long post...I was also hoping for my first post on Polycount to be a finished piece and not a cry for help, but things never seem to work out. :)

Cheers,

-N
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Well, this is a bummer. It seems that TA's shader is currently all kinds of broken. Makes me hesitant to present the set or submit it until it's fixed. It's really difficult to tell how my masks are working when everything is jacked up to ultra shiny. I made a post on the dev forums, I guess we'll see how that goes.

DoubleLeaf posted the concept this is based on in his thread.

Ct2gEzr.jpg
    zPQj4Hn.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fluoxetine wrote: »
    Hello everyone, new guy reporting in. :D

KKZDvqB.jpg

Attack and Idle animations are all fine, but running, among things is not...
    -N
    What bone you skinned it to?
  • Fluoxetine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What bone you skinned it to?

Like it says in the Tech Requirements, axe_1.

There's also one called Axe_Weapon at 0,0,0 coordinates, but I don't rly know if it does anything.

Thanks.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Just copy the skin modifier from the original weapon into yours and it should then work fine. Atleast that is how I fixed it for my Clinkz bow.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baaaaaaller Frump, the sculpt came out really nicely!
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    So decided to call my goggles done, so here they are!
    8193EBC5E3EDB09453D9AA39DEB21E2C13C7762D

Please vote on them aswell!:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=155191099

I'd say I need to work more on the presentation. How do you guys do it? Dota shaders in Maya/Max and render from there? Not so much freedom for your composition inside Dota.
  • Fluoxetine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Just copy the skin modifier from the original weapon into yours and it should then work fine. Atleast that is how I fixed it for my Clinkz bow.

That...that actually worked. Copy/Paste and you're done.. :D

Thanks.

And not that it's finally published, I really want to do it all again... There's still 100 tri's left to use in the lowpoly, and the textures were painted directly @256x256... Only now i realize what a terrible idea that was...
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys!

We are doing a new set for Batrider. Here is a WIP of the mount:
    Still needs some polishing

3noch.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something finished

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=155246429
    hammer_06a.jpg

The myths and legends surrounding this peculiar hammer are numerous and strange.The most well known tale suggests that a long time ago a humble and honest blacksmith came to acquire a mightful and terrible magical ring. He did not want it's power to corrupt the world. In an attempt to destroy it he placed it on his anvil and slammed down his hammer as hard as he could. There was an unimaginably loud screeching noise and a light with the power of a thousand suns. The villagers hurried to the smithy and found the he hammer fused to the anvil; still glowing red hot. The blacksmith was gone and never seen again. To this day it is believed, that the ring - still unbroken - fuels this terrible, magical weapon.

and something that still needs a lot of love, codename Luna's pelt is still in the works

lunaspelt.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @Neox

Wow! If making amazing items was not enough, those presentations are absolutely gorgeous! Can I ask you how you make them? Is it just a Marmoset shot with a cool background or there's something more to it? :D
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz wrote: »
    Hey guys!

We are doing a new set for Batrider. Here is a WIP of the mount:
    Still needs some polishing

3noch.jpg
    Super cool! Just wings anatomy should be fixed (no extra bone going from elbow, just fingers) and you will be golden!!!