Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know how I feel about users being part of service providers... Seems wrong in my opinion. I can understand fully, agree, and celebrate about organizations, communities and tools, but other users? Why?

Cause they made a guide? That's a bit stupid in my opinion. What's stopping that user from picking their name and getting a larger cut? Sounds selfish and unnecessary. I've helped plenty of new people with animations and couriers, but I'd never in a million years ask for anything in return.

Also, and I know we can request this, but where's DOTA Cinema, Beyond the Summit, GD Studio, JoinDOTA, etc. You would think those would instantly be on that list day one.

Hopefully this gets clean up. :thumbdown:
  • Giiyom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giiyom polycounter lvl 9
    Is there a place where we can find the Color scheme/palette of every heros?
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Andrew I understand your point of view in some way. However its stated that you should pick from third parties that helped you create this specific item in some way. If you by any chance would made an tutorial about making courier and animations for it, even basic one than I think you would have place on that list guaranteed :)
    Tutorials are always good, because they will eventually be viewed by so much more ppl than you could help directly.
    Other thing is that those group/casters/channels that you listed don't have much to do with items creation. Even Reddit that is on the list in my opinion don't have much to do with it...
    At the end creators decide who they will address with this bonus.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Giiyom wrote: »
    Is there a place where we can find the Color scheme/palette of every heros?

I doubt it. You can plug in an image of the hero you need one for on this site and it'll generate one for you though.

http://www.cssdrive.com/imagepalette/index.php
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    I started some sculpting for a courier that Dry and I have come up with (while he is on a two-week vacation in Spain). He'll be working on the other two versions, but since they'll be sharing a lot of geometry through attachments on a base model, I won't get to any texturing until after he gets back and we finalize some things.

cat_birds_by_chemicalalia-d67xdy3.png

catwip5_by_chemicalalia-d6ax4bv.png
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    I started some sculpting for a courier that Dry and I have come up with (while he is on a two-week vacation in Spain). He'll be working on the other two versions, but since they'll be sharing a lot of geometry through attachments on a base model, I won't get to any texturing until after he gets back and we finalize some things.

catwip5_by_chemicalalia-d6ax4bv.png
    That is sexy.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    @Andrew I understand your point of view in some way. However its stated that you should pick from third parties that helped you create this specific item in some way. If you by any chance would made an tutorial about making courier and animations for it, even basic one than I think you would have place on that list guaranteed :)
    Tutorials are always good, because they will eventually be viewed by so much more ppl than you could help directly.
    Other thing is that those group/casters/channels that you listed don't have much to do with items creation. Even Reddit that is on the list in my opinion don't have much to do with it...
    At the end creators decide who they will address with this bonus.

The reason I think they should be on there is a way for us to support those guys and everything they do. Besides just making an item for them. DOTA Cinema does the weekly workshop where some of our work gets 'marketed' to the community. That helps out quite a bit and in return, I would love to be able to give back to those guys for everything they do.

That also goes with Esport teams, and Broadcasters. It's helping the community grow as a whole and I would be honored to support those guys.

You shouldn't have to make a guide to get on that list, which is why I disagree with them being on there in the first place. And in my opinion I don't think anyone ever intended on making guides for the sole intent of getting any monetary compensation out of it. But I can bet that you'll see a increase of guides being created now. Furthermore, everyone on this website, as well as facepunch as help everyone else out, newcomers and veterans at some point, we all help each other being the best we can be.

Point being, and maybe this is just me, and I'm alone here, but creating items for the workshop, and succeeding in getting some of them implemented into the game gives me a moral obligation to help anyone that comes to me with a questions. I love giving my assistance whenever I can, and I'd rather not "share in the success of your item's sales" as valve puts its, but simile at the fact that my help has helped another person succeed. That feeling alone is worth more then anything. Doing it this way, just seems wrong. *shrug*

Just my opinions. :)
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Posting this for anyone from Valve that's reading: add wunderboy from http://www.wunderboy.org/ - he supported modding Source through his plugins and tools just as long as CannonFodder, if not longer, only to quit the scene after getting disillusioned with how out of date and badly supported the SDK got. If anything, he should've been hired by Valve long ago, but alas.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is submitting to the workshop not working for anyone else? When I submit it just opens the workshop page and says "This item no longer exists or the user deleted it." Only thing I could think is causing it is the .PSD file submitted for the marketing section but it's like 3mb so that shouldn't be an issue.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    workshop has issues since yesterday i think. the cloud seems to be messed up too. so yeah, its not working for anyone. just from time to time you have to get lucky something goes through
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    ahhh dam. thanks coyo.Ye. Looks like there are a few things up. Hopefully it's resolved soon .
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    The reason I think they should be on there is a way for us to support those guys and everything they do. Besides just making an item for them. DOTA Cinema does the weekly workshop where some of our work gets 'marketed' to the community. That helps out quite a bit and in return, I would love to be able to give back to those guys for everything they do.
    But they don't help the specific item get made, that's the point. Creating a 2-minute video each week is a lot different to creating an entire program/forum/tutorial to support and nurture artists.
    That also goes with Esport teams, and Broadcasters. It's helping the community grow as a whole and I would be honored to support those guys.
    You're missing the point entirely. It's not about just throwing money around to people or organisations who do other Dota-related things.
    You shouldn't have to make a guide to get on that list, which is why I disagree with them being on there in the first place. And in my opinion I don't think anyone ever intended on making guides for the sole intent of getting any monetary compensation out of it. But I can bet that you'll see a increase of guides being created now. Furthermore, everyone on this website, as well as facepunch as help everyone else out, newcomers and veterans at some point, we all help each other being the best we can be.
    Yes, we all like to help people but people like Vlad, Lenny, Wyk and all of the others went above and beyond the call of duty to help others on a grander scale that most of us do here on Polycount.
    Point being, and maybe this is just me, and I'm alone here, but creating items for the workshop, and succeeding in getting some of them implemented into the game gives me a moral obligation to help anyone that comes to me with a questions. I love giving my assistance whenever I can, and I'd rather not "share in the success of your item's sales" as valve puts its, but simile at the fact that my help has helped another person succeed. That feeling alone is worth more then anything. Doing it this way, just seems wrong. *shrug*
    Yeah, and we should all be doing this for no money and just be happy that we have items in a cool game. Luckily Valve is amazing and is giving an insane amount of their profits to the community and now that they're giving even more to specific people and organisations you have a problem with it? There's literally no downside to this I think it's insane someone could have an issue with people getting rewarded for doing hard work.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wholeheartedly disagree, and if my name was up there, I'd ask it to be removed. I guess I'm just insane. *shrug*
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    I wholeheartedly disagree, and if my name was up there, I'd ask it to be removed. I guess I'm just insane. *shrug*

Then I'm scared of you.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazzle set I collaborated with Sharc on is completed. Now to do that Prophet Staff concepted by Slimeface.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=156075153

duality_splash.jpg

duality_marketing_01.jpg

duality_marketing_02.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    You can now pick service providers for your submissions. These are for site and communities the helped you in creating your item. Maybe you got some feedback or read some guides? You can pick the service provide and add give him part of Valve's share now!
    R8o0gFc.jpg

Lol, damn! "You cannot choose a third party organization that is also a normal contributor on your item."

Wow im blown away to see Valve have gone above and beyond by adding not only larger communities such as polycount, but also contributors to the guides section. Definitely has me motivated to create some more tutorial related content and will hopefully see many more high quality guides making the rounds.

Mostly im so pleased to see Polycount being supported, i dont know about anyone else but i learned most of what i know from here and being able to give back has me smiling.

and cheers Vayne4800, Bronto and Konras, really appreciate the support :).
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome to see you can support xNormal there too! (amazing its free! ) Handplane and polycount too !!
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    Pale-Face wrote: »
    Trying to submit a set... anyone had this error before? It pops up in a browser window in steam after the final submit button is clicked.

"Sorry!
    An error was encountered while processing your request:

That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author."

After hitting the final "submit" button.

It Kept happening last night with different file names and titles and items. The very first time I tried to submit an item last night I hit cancel mid submission since i forgot to include a marketing psd. Not sure if this then broke it for every submission that I tried after??

it took me like 2 days of tears and ritual sacrifice to get my sven set submitted. you really just have to wait, sadly.
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After the errors i managed to upload it. Thinks seemed to fix themselves this afternoon. So here is my latest set for Riki.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156068403&searchtext=

RikiBladeArmor_Marketing.jpg?psid=1

Collection: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156101150

RikiBladeArmor_Workshop.jpg?psid=1

YouTube Video: http://youtu.be/WmLk1WMQpCY
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,

Going to try making a Lich set. Here's my concept:

y1zr.png

Concept art isn't really my bag so any feedback would be much appreciated :) I've got a workshop thread started up here.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of awesome work on this page; SgtNasty, Pale-Face, Zip!

Just finished my Batrider sculpt :D
    mxTFOUf.jpg
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Lots of awesome work on this page; SgtNasty, Pale-Face, Zip!

Just finished my Batrider sculpt :D
    mxTFOUf.jpg

looks great!
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Everytime some guy asks me how to make workshop items I direct him to vlad's guide or the pudge one (who should change the bind to bone part btw :D) ,so I dont mind having them in that list :D

BrontoThunder: love the hairdo =)
  • Bichunmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When i try to submit my item after test in dota 2 i get that error. Please help me.

ntt5.jpg
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicely done, Bronto. Only one thing, that stressed me, is the closed eye. Scarf is a nice idea, but that place, near eye looks strange imo.
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does everyone else's Dota 2 require a particle upload to import or is that just me?
    VpWwfn7.png

Allllssoooo, what do you think?

34xBwKW.jpg
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick guide to particles from volvo

it's only for heroes with preexisting weapon particles like PA and AM
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starmony wrote: »
    Does everyone else's Dota 2 require a particle upload to import or is that just me?
    VpWwfn7.png

Allllssoooo, what do you think?

34xBwKW.jpg
    Two pages back Valve just told us about the particle import and everything, i suggest you check it out.

As for the weapon. Balloon animals, nice!
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    Everytime some guy asks me how to make workshop items I direct him to vlad's guide or the pudge one (who should change the bind to bone part btw :D) ,so I dont mind having them in that list :D

BrontoThunder: love the hairdo =)

Cheers for kind words and feedback, bind to bones section updated :).
  • MirandaKerr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason, i'm getting all kind of errors importing my ward model into dota 2. It says the geometry file contains on polygon data, as well as CTargetMDL::Compile Failed. So what i tried to do was re export my windrunner ward model (already in the workshop) with the same export settings and got the same thing.. Its really weird and od. Im using Maya 2012 with the FBX exporter. Am i missing settings or something stupid this time around which could be causing this issue. Any help would be great! :)

Image just incase:
    6w3d.jpg
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just to check, have you tried importing the fbx into an empty scene to make sure the geometry's there?

i had this a few times and for some reason the exporter sometimes decided to export only the joints with no geometry
  • MirandaKerr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeep, tried that. And the geometry is defently there. Also i havn't done the animation yet for the ward. So currently just importing the same file renamed for each of those. But im pretty sure affect it at all?
  • Dev4stator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shocking Mask of Surprises
    H4A17nL.png
    Does anyone think that this is the best Juggernaut mask ever created to the manking of Dota 2?

- Mask made by: Dev4stator (The Almighty)
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two pages back Valve just told us about the particle import and everything, i suggest you check it out.

As for the weapon. Balloon animals, nice!

last pa weapon I uploaded was too thin, guess I overcompensated a bit too much.

Edit: thanks for the info on the particles, gonna try to flatten. update the textures and implement those
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Santa's coming to town
    57bF7Dy.jpg
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Santa's coming to town
    57bF7Dy.jpg

Looks like this Santa just tasted those black liquid from X-Files, man.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Santa's coming to town
    57bF7Dy.jpg

Lookin' good, Vlad but you'd benefit from using more subtools!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Lookin' good, Vlad but you'd benefit from using more subtools!

Biggest thing I notice with this is the pixelation across the whole model. Vlad- I dig it, but if this is how it's going to look in game you might want to consider re-evaluating your uv layout before going too far into texturing that. At the very least with the wraps.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    max users, help me out! I'm baking topdown gradient with ToTex, but this time i've got a problem
    GpD51Y3.jpg

Not exactly top - down.

@Bronto, what do you mean?
    Biggest thing I notice with this is the pixelation across the whole model. Vlad- I dig it, but if this is how it's going to look in game you might want to consider re-evaluating your uv layout before going too far into texturing that. At the very least with the wraps.
    :D
    Flat shader in Max displays it like this, no need to worry, it looks awesome.
  • Quinnjdq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    max users, help me out! I'm baking topdown gradient with ToTex, but this time i've got a problem
    GpD51Y3.jpg

Not exactly top - down.

@Bronto, what do you mean?

:D
    Flat shader in Max displays it like this, no need to worry, it looks awesome.

Not 100% sure if this will help but what I usually do is just edit the normals, move them all vertically upwards then drop an omni light in with inverse square decay, tweak it then bake it out :)
    Lt77HGq.png
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quinnjdq wrote: »
    Not 100% sure if this will help but what I usually do is just edit the normals, move them all vertically upwards then drop an omni light in with inverse square decay, tweak it then bake it out :)
    Lt77HGq.png
    Yeah, i know that method. You can also planar the gradient on another map channel and bake it, but the script is way easier. i fixed it by attaching the trueform to other object that gots correct alignment, but i still want to know if there's a correct way to fix that.

3Q4SR05.jpg
  • Quinnjdq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i know that method. You can also planar the gradient on another map channel and bake it, but the script is way easier. i fixed it by attaching the trueform to other object that gots correct alignment, but i still want to know if there's a correct way to fix that.

3Q4SR05.jpg

Gotta ask, are you going to be adding any of the armor from the bear onto the true form? if not its going to look fairly generic I feel.
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the true form's *supposed* to wear the currently equipped shoulder slot. don't think it does at the moment though
  • Stefco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco polycounter lvl 5
    hey guys, me and Chiniara just finished a slark dagger, crits and votes are appreciated :)

edit/ ofcourse forgot the link -.-
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156210174

W0mkRnB.jpg
    sGvzC5W.jpg
    L62V5xi.jpg
  • Robobobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
    hey guys, check my new set :3
    286_max.jpg
  • hellmasterx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something im working on, i need some feedback or tips to make it better.
    xCx2jJx.jpg

the true form's *supposed* to wear the currently equipped shoulder slot. don't think it does at the moment though

Really nice i love it
  • Hawkseye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawkseye polycounter lvl 4
    Shop overhaul and 2 of my sets added :]

Grats to anyone else who got stuff in!

What a good day to be alive.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    3qkhO.png

Nice self portrait ike, came out great!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Love the bears Vlad!

Also, I saw someone post this a couple days ago about ripping this from a DomWar model, and its back up? The guy apparently has permission now? Can anyone clarify? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156245536&searchtext=