Home General Discussion

Guilldwars 2

Replies

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    During BWE 3 I played the same senario as you BigJohn and it is tough as shit for a mesmer, I only managed to beat it by picking them off one by one at a distance, after all my armor broke. If you have a staff and the skill feedback that might help, but that whole storyline was just a pain for mesmers. When the game released I chose the white stag instead and had a much better time, although personally I still feel like the courtiers in general are still very difficult in a group.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would buy it to support it if the people that I would be supporting where still there, but you can't make me play it, I can't get sucked into something so involved =P

GW2, I love you but no means no.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    frell wrote: »
    The game does a good job of making armor feel useless. The best thing about some games is to keep getting and upgrading your armor. But wearing level 5 armor in WvWvW at level 80...? I should be pretty useless. Especially without traits, yet im able to hit people pretty easily. Might aswell play naked.
    not too too many people are maxed (depending on server) but every now and again you'll see someone just steamroll through a bunch of people.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    So I played some this weekend and had a pretty bad experience.
    etc

I agree with pretty much all your experiences, even playing as a norn warrior the big guy it pitted me against at lvl8 in the quest was sooo hard to beat I was forced to just walk around doing side quests but that's not so bad. I'm still confused about guilds, Ive joined one with my workmates but there's only 5 of us so we cant easily earn enough points to be recognized by any of the guild features and wvw with 5 of us is kinda fun but we still get owned if a massive rush of players runs through. I dont see where skill or tactics come into wvw most of the time its just whoevers got the most massive group of players in one spot will win.

I still play but mainly just to see the gameworld and finish the main story quests.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Ged wrote: »
    I dont see where skill or tactics come into wvw most of the time its just whoevers got the most massive group of players in one spot will win.

I still play but mainly just to see the gameworld and finish the main story quests.

WvWvW is mostly a numbers game, sPvP is more about tactics and strategy.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    WvW to me felt like people were just taking turns being a loot/xp Pinata
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Same here Nitewalkr, was either buy MOP+ 1 more month for $55 or try GW2 for $60 :)

Made an elementalist to hopefully allow me to assess situations easier in wvw :P

Eles are OPs. So yes thats good class if you are just making it for pvp.

often times there is no specific strategy in wvw. That scares me. :(

In General: Are you guys having problem with the trading post? It has been down for a while.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    In General: Are you guys having problem with the trading post? It has been down for a while.
    it was up right before i went to bed last night, did it go down again?!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryswick wrote: »
    it was up right before i went to bed last night, did it go down again?!

I played it till like 3am last night. It was down. =\
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    I played it till like 3am last night. It was down. =\
    darn, it was up and 100% functional at 12:30am
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The trading post is their Auction House basically right? I haven't seen it up either. I think it varies from server to server.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Ryswick wrote: »
    WvWvW is mostly a numbers game, sPvP is more about tactics and strategy.

WvW can be compared to an Arma or Battlefield feel. You get a good guild, you guys form an army and fuck shit up.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    The trading post is their Auction House basically right? I haven't seen it up either. I think it varies from server to server.
    Yeah, like an auction house, but... without auctions.

Anet has been rotating it through players last night it was supposed to be up foreveryone starting this morning at midnight, i guess i'll just wait for today's daily update to see whats wrong with it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    last time I used trading post i bought a sword and it gave me no confirmation that I had bought it so I clicked merrily away thinking it would eventually work and my money didnt seem to go down either so I gave up, later I looked at my money and I had almost zero and 6 swords waiting in the trading post... oops haha that was on the weekend, dont know what its like now.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    From the facebook
    We have opened the Support section of the Guild Wars 2 Official Forums today. This section includes the sub-forums for Account Issues, Technical Support, Game Bugs, and Forum and Website Bugs. Other sections will be rolled out when our team observes that the forums are performing well under load.

Secondly, the Trading Post is up for all players. Please let us know you experience issues with it in the forums.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum

~RB
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Well, I guess there's something going on with the game? As I'm not getting any login authentication emails, so I can't login via the website or client, luckily I don't mind waiting a day or two to play but still.

Edit: Doh, just now realised they had ended up in the trash mail.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So my #1 biggest complaint?

Too many caster profs. Thats about it. Pvp feels like an apocalypse lol

oh and the day/night cycle, its night pretty much anytime im somewhere cool ugh
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    That day/night thing is weird, I haven't noticed any problems with the cycle. Also, doesn't every prof have a melee and ranged option? The only one I can think of that might not would be engineer?
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    still waiting on my physical copy... man amazon sucks; at this point my pre-purchase has been on the way for more than a month, with an initial estimated period of delivery of around 18 days.
    160 euros for a collecor's edition that never gets delivered... well i'm not buying from amazon ever again.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch wrote: »
    That day/night thing is weird, I haven't noticed any problems with the cycle. Also, doesn't every prof have a melee and ranged option? The only one I can think of that might not would be engineer?

It doesn't matter if the options exist, most people will abuse ranged lol
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you're complaining that you can't defend from on top of a wall with your sword even though you could easily swap to ranged? That's not abuse, it's smart.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    So you're complaining that you can't defend from on top of a wall with your sword even though you could easily swap to ranged? That's not abuse, it's smart.

I suppose its the only way to win currentl. Honestly sometimes people dont want to be a ranged character, asking them to become one simply because the game mechanics dont really support thier current chosen role is not really that smart. If there was some way to use tactics so that melee guys could get in there and do serious damage it would be clever but Ive just been cannon fodder every time I play wvw with a melee weapon and I have no intention of changing to ranged character that I dont enjoy.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    If there was some way to use tactics so that melee guys could get in there and do serious damage.

Don't most people have that? Even as a squishy necro build I'm handed these kinds of abilities.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

No, the exact opposite. Tons of people fighting in a field turns into two armies with a wide space between them throwing AOE/spells at eachother
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha I have yet to see that sort of trench warfare, but that sounds pretty funny. In my experience, if a melee enemy is in my hair I don't even look for if he is doing significant damage. Just the fact that he is there switches my focus off attacking and on to surviving. It applies to groups too, if you are beefy and have a little scary CC they will all turn tail and start stampeding away. That kind of momentum helps a ton.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Any tips for a newbie lvl 11 guardian new to the whole guild wars thing, I seem to be progressing quite well in PvE but would love to hear from an experienced player how they fair up early-late game against other classes?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    No, the exact opposite. Tons of people fighting in a field turns into two armies with a wide space between them throwing AOE/spells at eachother

this is my experience too, people just run away from a melee fight and shoot/cast from a distance until they have the numbers to kill you or until theyve worn you down enough. so unless you switch to ranged its a bit impossible to play. I was expecting roles for each class like TF2 or something. melee fighters = heavy, ranged = sniper, magic users = spy or something like that, at least then everyone can play a part and everyone has a weakness.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    try to bear in mind that elementalists (for sure) and i think some of the other caster classes can't weapon swap like the melee classes can. that's a pretty big disadvantage, the aoe damage from casters is ~1/4 the damage of their single target stuff, but they can only use one at a time, they can't swap in the middle of battle. the reason why you feel like you're getting wtfpwnt by aoe damage is because there are a lot of casters using it at the same time.

once you close the gap and get on top of them, there is almost nothing they can do if they're specced for aoe.

our main fighting force in our guild, for wvwvw is elementalists, guardians, and mesmers. we have engineers and rangers in a secondary scouting group.

our guardians don't even attempt to deal damage, they're all pretty much set up for group mitigation and survival. but then, our warband is set up so that we can take on more than 5x our numbers and win. everyone understands their place.

if you're playing the structured pvp stuff (like warhammer scenarios), try to remember it's called STRUCTURED pvp for a reason. and more than most other pvp games i've played, this game seems to be pretty unfriendly towards solo players. you just can't function properly if you don't understand your role within a group, or if you don't have a group.

what i mean by that, is that you may well be a decent player, and understand how your class is supposed to be played, but you underperform because it's a group centric class. this makes you feel like you're doing badly... you're not, you just haven't had the opportunity to shine.
    OR
    you're in a group but don't know what you're supposed to be doing. the group can only carry you so much.

anyway, if you want someone to play with, i'm on Piken Square server, my guild is always looking for new people, but if you just want me on your friends list, drop your username here so i can add you.

i just got my account back after 7 days of it being hacked (yay), but i got impatient and ordered the collectors edition to replace it... which is also arriving today (yay). so i'll have to choose which account i'm going to use later on lol. the other one is going to my girlfriend.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator

anyway, if you want someone to play with, i'm on Piken Square server, my guild is always looking for new people, but if you just want me on your friends list, drop your username here so i can add you.

i just got my account back after 7 days of it being hacked (yay), but i got impatient and ordered the collectors edition to replace it... which is also arriving today (yay). so i'll have to choose which account i'm going to use later on lol. the other one is going to my girlfriend.

Nice! that sounds like a good team build for pvp/wvw stuff! My character is called Cagarus, my login name is Legendary.2761 I just havent found any way to be useful as a warrior on wvw yet and my guild is my workmates so theres only 5 of us and we arent usually online at the same time. Dont have much time for guild wars this week tho :P
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    <- thief with shortbow, clusterbomb AOE arrow and bouncing regular arrows.
    I mean, I could jump in with my knife, but when they're all in a giant ball of death...

WvWvW is more of a macro mode than a micro mode, as things are won with numbers and economy, still fun though!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    try to bear in mind that elementalists (for sure) and i think some of the other caster classes can't weapon swap like the melee classes can. that's a pretty big disadvantage, the aoe damage from casters is ~1/4 the damage of their single target stuff, but they can only use one at a time, they can't swap in the middle of battle. the reason why you feel like you're getting wtfpwnt by aoe damage is because there are a lot of casters using it at the same time.

once you close the gap and get on top of them, there is almost nothing they can do if they're specced for aoe.

Glad you got your account back, I'm gonna look you up tonight!

Ele's can swap their focus or whatever it's called - Changing between air/fire/earth/whatever - and this procs all their weapon swap traits and lets them do alot of stuff. I've a freind who plays ele and says he can pretty much do whatever role as long as he builds in some survivability into his spec.

I've not messed around with PVP much, I want to get into it but I'm still getting a feel for all the weapons and skills my ranger has now. I find in pvp It does tend to be a zerging numbers game for pretty much everyone who isn't in a guild or some esports pvp badass. PVE and exploring the world and lore (ex GW1 player!) has been taking up my time anyway, really enjoying the heart system.

But I agree, finding a guild or party tends to be done outside of the game and that sucks for solo players like myself. I also think people are pretty quiet in game right now. Aside from the occasional RPing group, almost nobody chats or responds to chat and people tend to do their own thing untill a dynamic event, and even then everyoen is in it for themselves.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I play an aoe specced ele and I have a good batch of single target spells when im on earth/air
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i dunno, on my server the /map channel is full of people looking for guilds, or guilds looking for players.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    collectors edition arrived... thing is friggin massive. seriously...

which polycounter sculpted Rytlock?
  • Tairii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9
    fearian wrote: »
    Glad you got your account back, I'm gonna look you up tonight!

Ele's can swap their focus or whatever it's called - Changing between air/fire/earth/whatever - and this procs all their weapon swap traits and lets them do alot of stuff. I've a freind who plays ele and says he can pretty much do whatever role as long as he builds in some survivability into his spec.

I've not messed around with PVP much, I want to get into it but I'm still getting a feel for all the weapons and skills my ranger has now. I find in pvp It does tend to be a zerging numbers game for pretty much everyone who isn't in a guild or some esports pvp badass. PVE and exploring the world and lore (ex GW1 player!) has been taking up my time anyway, really enjoying the heart system.

But I agree, finding a guild or party tends to be done outside of the game and that sucks for solo players like myself. I also think people are pretty quiet in game right now. Aside from the occasional RPing group, almost nobody chats or responds to chat and people tend to do their own thing untill a dynamic event, and even then everyoen is in it for themselves.

Changing attunements does not proc on weapon swap traits, and ele's do not have on weapon swap traits. Attunements are our class mechanic, much like a Warriors Adrenaline or a Thief's steal and initiative.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know arenanets stance on skill macros?

Im an elementalist, and if I make a button on my gaming mouse cast a spell, switch to fire, cast a spell there, and then back to water, would that be against the rules?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and more than most other pvp games i've played, this game seems to be pretty unfriendly towards solo players. you just can't function properly if you don't understand your role within a group, or if you don't have a group.

Yeah, I'm starting to see that. This is probably the reason I'm not having any fun playing this game. I wanna like it, it looks amazing, but it's so unfriendly towards my playstyle that I just can't enjoy it. I would join some guild, but I only play a few hours here and there, mostly on the weekend, and spending those with a bunch of strangers doesn't sound like fun.

I'm basically stuck doing random PUG structured PvP. Which really isn't much considering how flat that experience is compared to Warhammer or Rift.

Actually Rift catered the best to people like me of all of those. If it didn't have that silly $15 a month, I would still be playing it.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Does anyone know arenanets stance on skill macros?

Im an elementalist, and if I make a button on my gaming mouse cast a spell, switch to fire, cast a spell there, and then back to water, would that be against the rules?

Ah, i think that would be against the rules

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/241111892389679104

https://forum.guildwars.com/forum/forums/accounts/Allowed-or-Not-That-is-the-question/page/1#post6742
    It all comes down to the main point: We do not condone or approve the use of third-party programs. We cannot offer support (account or technical) to a player that uses such programs. If you use a third-party program and it gives you a strategic advantage over another player, you risk account termination at any time — now, tomorrow, next month. I think a player can use his or her head about where we’d focus our attention. Look at these and consider what would give a strategic advantage to a player:
    1. Opening a ToT bag more quickly
    2. Automatically changing into a costume when you get to town
    3. Seeing a map overlay while exploring in PvE
    4. Automating your skill set so you can player more consistently or more quickly than a regular player
    5. Setting up a macro that moves your character into an instance in order to use macro’d skills to farm for gold or items (Ye olde “Play as Thy Sleeps” mode wink.png )
    Those who chose #4 and #5 are spot on. And that’s where the team would focus its attention. Remember that macros or other programs that purport to be harmless may not be. And, yet again, we can’t condone, approve, or support the use of any third-party program and such each would be a “use as your own risk” situation.

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to just make 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 on my razer naga pretty much be pressed in order to complete a full rotation of casts. So I simply re bound the abilities for ease of pressing, rather than automating with one button.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I decided to just make 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 on my razer naga pretty much be pressed in order to complete a full rotation of casts. So I simply re bound the abilities for ease of pressing, rather than automating with one button.

ah yeah I've been experimenting with different key binds since i rarely used the Q/E buttons for strafing

Considering
    Q for Swap,
    E for Heal Skill
    ~ for holster/take out weapon (cosmetic but so much fun >__>)
    12345 stays,
    7890 on zxcv

Only thing is like to chain 8-7-2-4-3-5-1 Swap 2-3-5-4-4 swap 2-3-1 so going from z-x to 2-4 would be annoying.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RTFG would actually work better for 7890
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys don't like using modifiers? I have E, Alt+E and Ctrl+E all doing different things in these games. Likewise for Q, F and ~. Even the movement keys. I usually have S to go backwards, and Alt+S do some movement related stuff. Summon a mount or whatever.
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    I use only 1,2,3,4.Other keys are too far away. :D

Bigjohn - i'll try that!Thanks for sharing!
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    I've been having a lot of fun with the game. I was having trouble keeping my necromancer minions alive till I started using well of blood. I like finding all the hidden vistas. Haven't done much pvp yet though I'm looking forward to it. I played one round and got steamrolled and wound up in lion's arch, which is kind a cool looking area. I haven't noticed many "kill 10/collect 10" quests. Usually there is an event that kicks off and the quest gets done incidentally. There have been a crapload of players around at least in the asura starting zone.

I was kind of bummed that the old skill system was totally dropped but I really like the weapon based system and being able to swap mid-combat. I think a sweet marriage of the 2 systems would be a means of customizing weapons to add/customize skills on a given weapon. You could have weapon customization traits that dropped from bosses and quests just like in GW1. Just a thought.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean like runes and jewels? The major runes do some pretty significant changes.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Nah I mean whole different abilities.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Do you guys think one will be banned if, lets say, he finds a couple of rich copper veins near each other, surrounded by more copper of course, mine it in the overflow he's currently in, then log out and go into another overflow, thus resulting the veins to be reset.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Do you guys think one will be banned if, lets say, he finds a couple of rich copper veins near each other, surrounded by more copper of course, mine it in the overflow he's currently in, then log out and go into another overflow, thus resulting the veins to be reset.

not sure but i have so many connection problems that this ends up happening to me anyway.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    no, because the veins are set up semi-randomly per shard, so theres no guarantee that you'll find the ore veins still there.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you guys are looking for good guilds. You should look in to the one that I represent.

www.theamazonbasin.com

stormbluff as a home.

You may need to change the servers.