Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    The Game Jam was awesomely fun. It was probably the most productive week of game development I've ever witnessed. That video has less than half the stuff we did in it. Every studio should do this. I tried to get something like this going at Mythic after Warhammer shipped and got zero interest from the leadership there. Too bad, so sad.

As you guys probably can infer, none of that stuff was shippable at the end of the week, just showable, and what a show it was.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did any of it make it in? like the flowing water or foliage stuff? I haven't played it yet but that looked pretty sweet.

and Were-bears. Damn, now that would be an awesome cartoon "Were-Bear Countdown 5, 4..."
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    We did this after Skyrim shipped. You will be seeing some of it in the game, we're just not sure when or in what context.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to wonder why some if this stuff didn't make it into the game. SSAO and the water flowing mechanics seem to work fairly well, it looks mostly done, so why not polish it up and put it in.
    In fact most of this looks like it's developed enough to get into the game.
    I'd love if the guys who made this would just release this stuff as a mod if it won't be an official DLC.

So yeah, what's the reasons they keept it out of the game?

Edit: okay just wrote this befor the post above was made, so the question is basicly answered. ^^'
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet jesus what a jam D:
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Mine run perfectly fine, after i updated the high res textures... until i noticed like twice some weird flashing lights, like tearing on the geometry. Anyone noticed this?

in another forum they said that its the ram. I have plenty of ram. Also, i mentioned the 4gb thing to use more ram, and they said that this was added to skyrim already. Is this true?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    yea they could do that in 1 week...

but

The Bug is always more evil than Alduin ..... :(

I wish they sneak up in steam mod community and put that in the mod hehehe
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    glottis8 wrote: »
    Mine run perfectly fine, after i updated the high res textures... until i noticed like twice some weird flashing lights, like tearing on the geometry. Anyone noticed this?

in another forum they said that its the ram. I have plenty of ram. Also, i mentioned the 4gb thing to use more ram, and they said that this was added to skyrim already. Is this true?

videoram, I think it needs something like 1gb.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are my specs...

-DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX DFI mobo
    -Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8500
    -RAM 8GB
    -SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit
    -Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI
    -Windows 7 Home Premium

Video memory should have plenty.. 8 gigs and what not. Would this still be the case?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you have plenty and some left over even, you should be able to run the hd pack perfectly, could it be related to running the game with crossfire?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    na... thats one single video card. or does crossfire apply that the one video card has double processor? Maybe there is a setting for my video card to be more optimized?

I don't think i can run skyrim on Ultra either. I run it on High.. but i expected to run it on ultra. if that makes any sense.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not an expert, but it could be the CPU slowing down the graphics card. Atleast that was the issue for my old Indel Core 2 Quad 6600. After I got my i7 2600k everything that was lagging before was running fine.
    But as I said I could be mayorly wrong and talking out of my ass here. :/
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    glottis8 wrote: »
    na... thats one single video card. or does crossfire apply that the one video card has double processor? Maybe there is a setting for my video card to be more optimized?

I don't think i can run skyrim on Ultra either. I run it on High.. but i expected to run it on ultra. if that makes any sense.

the 2X is pretty much the same thing as crossfire, only bunched together on one card, with 1gb vram for each GPU, totalling in 2gb.

Crossfire/dual gpu's might be the reason for graphical issues in skyrim, or atleast that's what I'd bet on.

Avoid putting shadows on anything but medium or high, I'm on a 560ti which is quite more powerful and I can't push ultra on shadows, but everything else you should be able to max, shadows will be the biggest performance hit.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    the 2X is pretty much the same thing as crossfire, only bunched together on one card, with 1gb vram for each GPU, totalling in 2gb.

Crossfire/dual gpu's might be the reason for graphical issues in skyrim, or atleast that's what I'd bet on.

Avoid putting shadows on anything but medium or high, I'm on a 560ti which is quite more powerful and I can't push ultra on shadows, but everything else you should be able to max, shadows will be the biggest performance hit.

I'll look into this, you should be right about this. fancy video cards never get good performance out of video games i guess.

Someone did mention that there's an add-on on Steam workshop called 'Shadow Striping Fix' that's supposed to sort that, it's a work in progress tho. Anyone know if this is part of this issue? or has run into this?

Here is the link: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8043

According to this is the lights and shadows of some areas. Which would make sense since i see this mostly in inside areas. Not frequently either. I'll look into this as well.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Fucking hell! That video is amazing! So, are those mods available right now somewhere? DO WANT!

Please tell meeeee. Shit, there goes my weekend... the itch is back.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    doc rob wrote: »
    We did this after Skyrim shipped. You will be seeing some of it in the game, we're just not sure when or in what context.

Man have you seen some of the pure garbage floating around on SkyrimNexus? The time is now, and the context is werebear's are awesome..
    Seirei wrote: »
    So yeah, what's the reasons they keept it out of the game?

Edit: okay just wrote this befor the post above was made, so the question is basicly answered. ^^'

The processor/RAM intensive mods aside, no, it isn't. Skyrim shipped prematurely and bug ridden. Other than cash or publisher politics, there's zero reason the game couldn't have sat for another month. Time enough to implement a lot of little things that are missing and iron out the main bugs. And also to fix the goddamn UI, which is atrocious in design, and buggy in execution.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    dfacto wrote: »
    Skyrim shipped prematurely and bug ridden. Other than cash or publisher politics, there's zero reason the game couldn't have sat for another month. Time enough to implement a lot of little things that are missing and iron out the main bugs. And also to fix the goddamn UI, which is atrocious in design, and buggy in execution.

If skyrim was released a month later, would it still have the massive numbers of sales it recieved? Maybe not, Skyrim over shadowed tons of game last winter/xmas gamming season, another game might of taken its place. There was no way they could push it bake without taking major fanacial risks, it is THE time to launch a game.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    U may b right, dfacto, but then why couldn't u sit on ur ass for a few months until they fixed the bugs? the game isn't going anywhere!
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I encountered some of the flickering with certain areas with the HD texture pack as well, I didn't notice much of any of a performance hit. I'm running a 2GB Radeon HD 6950 (which is just a single card). Part of me thought it might've had something to do with the "effects" set of HD textures that come with the set, as I didn't notice it when I only used portions of it (such as clothes/furniture/foliage). I wound up just deactivating the HD texture pack entirely, because I didn't think it made enough of a difference on anything except clothing for me to mess with it. And the clothing was then so sharp in comparison to everything else that I didn't think it worth using alone.

That game jam video was awesome. I'd love to see even just fragments of that wind up in the game in the future.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun wrote: »
    U may b right, dfacto, but then why couldn't u sit on ur ass for a few months until they fixed the bugs? the game isn't going anywhere!

Why are you trying to excuse mediocrity? That's not something to shrug your shoulders at and accept, yet some people fall all over themselves trying to defend Bethesda.
    If skyrim was released a month later, would it still have the massive numbers of sales it recieved? Maybe not, Skyrim over shadowed tons of game last winter/xmas gamming season, another game might of taken its place. There was no way they could push it bake without taking major fanacial risks, it is THE time to launch a game.

You may be right about that, but no way to say. Though looking at the sales for December (http://www.nintendogal.com/2012/01/16/december-2011-npd-group-us-sales-charts/) there just wasn't anything out to really interfere with Skyrim's release (COD and Battlefield would sell one way or another, Just Dance probably has a wildly different demographic), so shipping in early December shouldn't have made any difference at all. Just would have ruined the nice 11-11-11 launch date.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Skyrim shipped prematurely and bug ridden. Other than cash or publisher politics, there's zero reason the game couldn't have sat for another month. Time enough to implement a lot of little things that are missing and iron out the main bugs. And also to fix the goddamn UI, which is atrocious in design, and buggy in execution.

I expect comments like this on Youtube or Kotaku but not in a forum of industry professionals.

"But Game X with a vastly smaller scope has less bugs" is not a valid argument
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I expect comments like this on Youtube or Kotaku but not in a forum of industry professionals.

Agreed. Talk about an awkward moment. I think they call this shitting the bed?

But back on topic, I'll be amazed if Bethesda doesn't give us those mods from the game jam in some sort of DLC. Otherwise, talk about the greatest cock tease in history. One week of doing whatever you wanted... this seriously just wants to make me give a standing ovation to the professionals in this industry. So much freaking talent. I think my new dream place to work at is Bethesda. Good stuff. I love life.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    To be fair though, they could've skipped the whole idea of even releasing the editor, and just used that energy on fixing the game..

...that would've been better, right?

As I often go on massive sandbox rpg's: we either get them slightly buggy, or we don't get them at all.
    Stradigos wrote: »
    Agreed. Talk about an awkward moment. I think they call this shitting the bed?

But back on topic, I'll be amazed if Bethesda doesn't give us those mods from the game jam in some sort of DLC. Otherwise, talk about the greatest cock tease in history. One week of doing whatever you wanted... this seriously just wants to make me give a standing ovation to the professionals in this industry. So much freaking talent. I think my new dream place to work at is Bethesda. Good stuff. I love life.

It does feel like every developer has this thing they'd really want to do but never get the opportunity to, and they would be able to do it at a really fast and effective speed due to creativity, jam weeks or creative fridays could really bring some interesting things to games.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Foootprints!!!

I want them.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Oh I forgot to ask this about the buildings too. Do you always get the loading screen or is there some buildings you can just open a door and walk into? Because I was wondering about windows, if it is possible to look outside/inside as well though them? (damn, where is my copy!)
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8058

That mod should turn out very nicely, as long as it doesn't kill fps.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    McGreed wrote: »
    Oh I forgot to ask this about the buildings too. Do you always get the loading screen or is there some buildings you can just open a door and walk into? Because I was wondering about windows, if it is possible to look outside/inside as well though them? (damn, where is my copy!)

Not the way it's most often designed, indoors will be seperate cells with a tiny bit of loading.

It's fully possible to construct a seamless building though if you make the artwork for it though, and some buildings like tiny shacks are without doors and loadingscreens.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTR7uyVUR7c"]SkyrimBall Z: A Dragonball Overhaul project for Skyrim - YouTube[/ame]

lolololol
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Just saw some models/textures ripped straight from witcher 2 on the steam workshop thingy, i expect that place will be overflooded with stuff like that :[
  • Geezus
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just saw some models/textures ripped straight from witcher 2 on the steam workshop thingy, i expect that place will be overflooded with stuff like that :[

I'm actually using some of those. From what I Googled, CD Project gave the thumbs up for modders to use assets from the Witcher 2 for other games (like GSC did for STALKER). I think that's totally awesome of them, and it's just another reason that makes me very glad I pre-ordered The Witcher 2 to support those guys.

Triss's armor works well as a Ranger's armor:

KjfGQ.jpg
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    3DLee wrote: »
    I'm actually using some of those. From what I Googled, CD Project gave the thumbs up for modders to use assets from the Witcher 2 for other games (like GSC did for STALKER). I think that's totally awesome of them, and it's just another reason that makes me very glad I pre-ordered The Witcher 2 to support those guys.

I wouldn't doubt that, I'm wondering how compatible it is with the workshop EULA though, that gives bethesda quite some huge rights over the content of the mods on there.

Then again, I don't think bethesda is going to be nazi about that either.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    We already have the first sex mod in Skyrim, it has to do with Lydia...
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    What did you expect?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    She is sworn to carry my burdens.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Why are you trying to excuse mediocrity? That's not something to shrug your shoulders at and accept, yet some people fall all over themselves trying to defend Bethesda.

U'r missing the point. It's not about accepting mediocrity or not (i haven't ever played a Bethesda game) but dealing with the reality where Most games come out prematurely, hosting bugs. Developers don't actually have much choice in the matter, but u do. U can play it later once patches have been released. It's really that simple.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    We already have the first sex mod in Skyrim, it has to do with Lydia...

It's not hard to picture how that might go. :)

"Hey Lydia, how about a nooner?" - "I am swooooorn to..." - "Yeah, yeah, STFU and get nekkid!"
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Actually, it's more Lydia, go to bed and wank for me while I watch.

Also, "I'm swoorn to carry your babies" if I know anything of the community.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    If we go down that path it'll be sepiroth banging drizzt lookalikes while riding a unicorn and occasionally throwing one of any chosen canned motion capture dance animations.

This 500 hours in into someones primary save file.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to forget to think how the furries will create their little mods. ;)

I finally got my game *YAY!), its virgin bootup is about to start, but was thinking I might as well get some mods so I checked out the mods on steam, however one of the mods I wanted is SkyUI, however it seem you cant just install it with Steam, but need some script extender. Anyone had any experience with those?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Not to forget to think how the furries will create their little mods. ;)

I finally got my game *YAY!), its virgin bootup is about to start, but was thinking I might as well get some mods so I checked out the mods on steam, however one of the mods I wanted is SkyUI, however it seem you cant just install it with Steam, but need some script extender. Anyone had any experience with those?

It works fine without the script extender, but the script extender gives you extra features, such as being able to filter the names in a very fast way.

Script extender is easy to install otherwise, you just paste the files in the skyrim folder and launch skse_loader and it'll start the game like normal.

http://skse.silverlock.org/
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It works fine without the script extender, but the script extender gives you extra features, such as being able to filter the names in a very fast way.

Script extender is easy to install otherwise, you just paste the files in the skyrim folder and launch skse_loader and it'll start the game like normal.

http://skse.silverlock.org/

Ah great. Been playing it a bit, half an hour, but was really put off by the interface, I cannot believe that they messed that up again, its so impractical that it makes me want to cry. So I will certainly need that mod now, and hopefully it will later also fix the skill screens. Until then, gonna have a look at the toolset as well.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So now that the workshop is well on its way, and there is tons of mods. Which ones do you guys use? if any at all?

I have been skeptic about mods, but using the workshop is so much easier, you can see the updates and comments, and you only need to subscribe to use the mod. (unless it asks you to install something else as well).

I like the look of the game, and there are some technicalities that bothered me, so i am trying a bunch of mods. Which have made my game a lot more enjoyable. Everything cosmetic only. But i wonder if there are any mods people recommend that might affect gameplay or what not.

So here they are. I am using:

Rrealistic Colors and Real Nights (Legacy Preset): it makes the contrast and colors pop up a lot more. I was using classic but its pitch black at nights.. this one works a lot better for me. No impact really on performance on my rig.

8F6C4E11D0364F9FB55FF950048FEF0AF3305372

Detailed Cities: he has done a good job adding fancy stuff around the cities. Whiterun looks 10 times better. For some reason it does cause a slight lag at some points during the day i guess. Nothing major so far, and i do like the look of it now. Other cities are being redone.

AB33A7B7E6790D8511176B0D57AC49FC79A34A74
    CA9EAC5601C5C3492472833207D90AA4AEBD92C5

Torches for realistic lighting: This helps in some of the dungeons that get really back in some areas, and overall i feel the lighting coming from them is more constant and real alike.

City Houses Light/ Shadows Fix: this fixes a lot of the ugly shadows indoor that vibrate or look plain aweful. really neat one. No performance hit either.

1A77FDFD7FC3183305B62E418A634CE9717F41E4

Enhanced Blood Textures: really nice looking blood. The default one looks kinda gooey and weird. This one looks more natural. They are bigger textures, but no lag on this one so far.

http://youtu.be/eCUT1P91wI0

Realistic Water Textures and Terrain: I gotta say i really like this one. The water is not always the same one, different areas that you expect different water corresponds to each. Some have still/calm water, some have more current. Waterfalls and what not are prettier and overall i think they add more to the env.

http://youtu.be/bF-RA9EDwAY

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons: this one is great. It adds ambiance sounds to the dungeons, caves and your perception of hearing people talk and whatever they are doing. Makes more sense, and they feel more alive in that respect. Like bats, or water dripping. Very nice mod!

http://youtu.be/yAmYNTJDCsk

Those are the ones that i have. It would be nice to start some discussions on which ones everyone uses, and their experience with it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I have to be the ass and say that birch is wrong for the flora in whiterun, and even that amount of trees would definitely be weird in that kind of tundra area.

mt-mckinley-tundra_8226.jpg

275647-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-whiterun-by-day.jpg
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to be the ass and say that birch is wrong for the flora in whiterun, and even that amount of trees would definitely be weird in that kind of tundra area.

Well, you can always fit it into the world, that its because of the little life tree inside the town, that its roots has made the area fertile. Plus its a magical world, who know what kind of effect the magic might have. :)

Regarding the mods, I got a bunch mods now, most is graphical improvment, my main mod would be SkyUI. An other one which I can recommend is "Categorized Favorites Menu". I still haven't really gotten any of the two hotkeys mods I tried out to work, maybe Im doing it wrong, but cant seem to be able to bind anything else the 1-8.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    explain las vegas
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Plus its a magical world, who know what kind of effect the magic might have. :)

"Why is X doing Y?"
    "MAGICK!"
    "Fair enough!"
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Does there exist a mod that lets you hotkey things to the right OR left hand, yet? (Since dual-wielded setups via hotkeys is impossible in vanilla). I haven't been able to find one that didn't also change a bunch of other things or overcomplicate it with extra hotkeys.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Does there exist a mod that lets you hotkey things to the right OR left hand, yet? (Since dual-wielded setups via hotkeys is impossible in vanilla). I haven't been able to find one that didn't also change a bunch of other things or overcomplicate it with extra hotkeys.

Yeah, I have the same problem, I use sword normally with left mouse button and block with right, however when I dual spells, its kinda confusing when left is right. Its just that changing attack to the right button is just weird for someone who played games with the left button for shooting.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The only solution to the right and left buttons that makes sense and is comfortable to me, is putting right attack or cast on my thumb buttons on my mouse, then its easy to think of left and right.