Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Would definitely make thieving more interesting... distraction arrows, trigger arrows, water.. sleep.. blinding.. etc etc etc. :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm, seems like the guys over at Bethesda's forums started thinking about the way they make their texture packs:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1330609-if-youve-released-a-texture-mod-or-plan-to-please-read/

There is some erroneus information there, so if you want to make an impact here's your chance.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    greevar wrote: »
    Ok, but it would be nice if the arrows exhibited the fact that they're enchanted with fire. Though it would be nice if you could make special arrow upgrades through alchemy/smithing for those that don't want to use magic. Flaming/exploding arrows, freezing/frost bloom arrows, shocking/storm arrows, etc. with appropriate effects.

For example. A flaming pot that you craft in alchemy (dwemer oil and fire salts) and attach to your arrow(s) in smithing (leather strips). You fire the arrow(s) at your target and it blows up with the desired effect like those flaming jars (i.e. wall of fire FX, fireball FX). Viola! Destruction magic through alchemy!

How about summoning? Daedra heart + fire/frost/void salts + dwemer oil and you get a "summon daedra" arrow!

Or Human heart + ecoplasm + dwemer oil for resurrecting corpses.

I could be wrong, but it looks as if Bethesda intentionally distanced the 3 main "archetypes", trying to make them more distinct from each other. I don't think they wanted archers to be using things akin to destruction magic, kinda like how they didn't want mages unlocking everything with alteration magic (no more unlock spells, etc) replicating what a thief can do. Alchemy was also dumbed down to an extent, previously alchemy could replicate nearly if not every single magical effect in the game through potions/poisons - including different types of elemental damage, but no longer. Instead it seems like they'd rather see you use destruction magic to place a rune, and then shoot the person with an arrow - causing them to run towards you, hit the rune trap, and explode. Things like that.

Also, you can already use arrows as distractions. NPCs will inspect the noise arrows make if they hit a wall on the other side of the room, for example.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Quick travelling with that talking dog is interesting. He almost always ends up under my horse launching both me and the steed hundreds of meters up in the air.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Found some mods that fix the problems I encountered while playing.

Fixes dual handed run animation with one handed:
    http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5677

.nif importer/exporter
    http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5622#

there's also a mod that displays your memory info and fps, probably not needed here.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Near the end of the Thieves Guild story arc, kinda humorous how many different deities I've sworn allegence to at this point in the game.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I'm playing my character as a nice-guy, but even I defer to the gods. You want your rival beaten to death with a rusty mace? Yes sir, right away sir.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    3284-1-1323564165.jpg

I noticed the strange faceting that seemed to be on a lot of items, it almost looked intentional on some of the armor and ingots, but if it's even showing up on trolls then I guess it must be some weird compression artifact?

Kind of a cool effect though if you could control it.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, forgot to ask, other than the Blades' weapon itself, is there any way to craft a really good katana? I'd love to start a new game as a badass dual-wielding katanas.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Oh yeah, forgot to ask, other than the Blades' weapon itself, is there any way to craft a really good katana? I'd love to start a new game as a badass dual-wielding katanas.

This mod should do the trick:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3871

I've crafted a Third Era sword named "Sting", named after Bilbo Baggin's sword. :) It's smithed to "Legendary" status now and makes all enemies up to level 30 run away on contact with a 25% chance to paralyze for 6 seconds.

3871-1-1324093872.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I don't think they're unique since without the Kit you only can replace.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They're unique in my game - all of the original swords are untouched but I can find or craft the new ones.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, you can make non-replacer items at this point, but you can't do anything but assign them through console or forge them. It's impossible to buy or get them to drop I think.

The CK can't come fast enough.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, finished up the Thieves Guild main quest, still got a bunch of side-quests to do with them, but I'm gonna mess around with the Companions first. Kinda running out of things to do before I choose Ulfric or the Empire (still LOTS to do, just big story arcs seem fewer and fewer now).
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    Yeah, you can make non-replacer items at this point, but you can't do anything but assign them through console or forge them. It's impossible to buy or get them to drop I think.

The CK can't come fast enough.

Not quite true! :) Apparently the "loot tables" can be edited, but only by one mod at a time. I've actually found weapons from that Third Era mod on quite a few enemies and the author appears to have carefully selected which weapons can appear on which level enemies as I've never come across a drop that didn't make sense. I'm really enjoying that mod and it gets a :thumbup: from me for sure.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sick Skyrim themed desktop using Rainmeter

uD1yV.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    frell wrote: »

nah, the textures arent loaded fully. i get that sometimes.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the DOS effect for ENB, makes it look like the old DOS prince of persia, very cool!

Also a question, was the release of the TES oblivion toolkit as concealed as the skyrim one is?

Edit: I took some screenshots, the effect looks a lot cooler when in motion:

Without enb/dos effect.
    1gYVs.jpg
    imFAJ.jpg

With enb/dos.
    W30mH.png
    XqdMA.png
    ixH5s.png

Just wanted to show you how drastic this mod can be, I tried to get the nights as dark as I could without it being submerged, this was the result.

XYRJB.png
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    nah, the textures arent loaded fully. i get that sometimes.

There's a way to setup the game so you use only the lowest res mipmap which is what that video shows.
  • ZacD
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dem cellar bugs :(
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Aye I had a cellar bug in the vampire quest where you investigate the burnt out house.

Also getting my arse kicked beating the boss on that one- Level 24 warrior. I've resorted to drawing all the mobs towards the entrance to the cave you come through from and pick them off using either my bow or a bit of fire magic. Only problem with this is that I can't beat the boss, he just owns my arse every time :(

Any ideas people?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Hmm, maybe go through all your potions and scrolls and see if you picked up any powerful ones? I always forget about them and usually there's something useful tucked away
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    shall do, not been using scrolls that much so touch wood got a couple back at my house- just a pain the arse though, lost track of the amount of times the git's chopped my head off :D

Also now become a vampire, time for a trip to the temple of Talos methinks!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    quick question guys. i'm in the process of making a dragon with a saddle (all from scratch), it'll be a quadropedal dragon + wings rather than the bipedal dragons in the game, i know this will need a new skeleton and animations.

but that aside, how easy is it (does anyone know) to make a creature rideable in-game? is it as simple as making it a certain class type?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--m93XveszM"]Tytanis Ultimate Mod | How to Ride A Mammoth - YouTube[/ame]
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Came back to my completitionist character. I was originally going passive, but so many kill quests were stacking up. More importantly, can't get those dragon masks without killing the bosses.

Downside was getting to around level 50 without building up all those damage dealing perks. Solution: Mercer Frey. If you've done the Thieves Guild questline, you know the part where you team up with Mercer for Snowviel Sanctum. However, if you don't go in there after talking to him he simply follows you everywhere as a companion without counting as a companion. Then I got one of my house carl's all geared up and we were off to adventure!

Another silly test I did with another character was using the master Illusion and Conjuring spells to summon two of those demon lord guys, go all over a city casting Mayhem. Anyone that could be killed died, everyone else took a knee. Interesting to see just how much bounty I could get. But more interesting was every time, I'd have a stack of couriers come up to me with letters from people thanking me killing certain folks. So yea, tons of kill quests in the game I didn't know about before that.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Just got to Blackreach. Hats off to the guys who designed that place, I was awed. The perfect fantasy overkill touch.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I really like the DOS effect for ENB, makes it look like the old DOS prince of persia, very cool!

Also a question, was the release of the TES oblivion toolkit as concealed as the skyrim one is?

Edit: I took some screenshots, the effect looks a lot cooler when in motion:

Without enb/dos effect.
    1gYVs.jpg
    imFAJ.jpg

With enb/dos.
    W30mH.png
    XqdMA.png
    ixH5s.png

Just wanted to show you how drastic this mod can be, I tried to get the nights as dark as I could without it being submerged, this was the result.

XYRJB.png
    I wonder if they could get some dithering going?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This has to have been posted: Pony mod
    http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6436

edit: found all the dragon masks.
    skyrim-dragonmasks01.jpg
    too much work, or just enough.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp_MAdWk4Us&feature=player_embedded"]Skyrim - Real 1st Person View alpha - Fight - YouTube[/ame]

Shakes a bit too much ahaha, but that's amazing!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    thats brilliant!

so much more atmospheric thatfloaty running and attacking
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I just hope we can edit the amount of Bobbing. I seriously doubt anyone in a fight would bob their head so much, let alone cause self Nausea.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, just looking at the video makes me feel dizzy. Would be awesome if we could see the player model in the first person view though. Trespasser style :poly142:
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one whos eyes/brain work together to keep my vision stable? Or do people actually throw their head around like that when they run?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I seriously doubt anyone in a fight would bob their head so much

Pretty much every boxer and wrestler ever does!

But peripheral vision, touch, hearing, and body awareness cant really be simulated effectively in games, So i think the fixed view is a good compromise.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, just looking at the video makes me feel dizzy. Would be awesome if we could see the player model in the first person view though. Trespasser style :poly142:

You can, with this mod. The uploaders other video demonstrates this.

I don't even understand how people are doing all this ahaha.
  • Andreas
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soo.. I return to riverwood, looking all bitchin', to check out how the town is doing. Pet the chicken and shit...
    GKwZN.jpg

Next thing I know, Ivar comes over and starts talking about the pile of wood. I join the convo, you know, start talking about the cut.

He tells me he's gtg, and to not do the "to fucking close (tfc)" command and get high res shots of the wood pile.
    i2W7u.jpg

pcVYD.jpg

I start getting all artistic, that birds eye view shit.
    LqaJZ.jpg

Oops finger slip. WHOA... bricks everywhere! I knew then bug jars were somehow connected!
    DEaJQ.jpg

After I cleaned up the bricks I came in close for a high res shot, you know..
    CvuJ7.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it me or does this game feel too linear?

You basically walk around in an open world and find/pick your linear quest to follow..
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    no, this is exactly why i stopped playing it.
    may be my gaming style though.

mostly its "get into a dungeon, get stuff"
    apart from the main quest line.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is what im starting to notice also. The world doesn't have as much content as oblivion did Forrest wise. Its mostly just mountains and valleys, with everything taking place in dungeons.

Quests are too linear for me, its basically a bunch of mini campaigns you walk around and choose to do.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    How else would you do the questing? If you don't have any linearity at all then you're going to be stuck with "bring back 10 bear skins" typed quests.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Jackablade wrote: »
    How else would you do the questing? If you don't have any linearity at all then you're going to be stuck with "bring back 10 bear skins" typed quests.

I wouldn't say Skyrim is linear compared to 99% of games that are made these days, but I do agree that it lacks certain things in terms of diversity and freedom that Oblivion had. Let's look at a few examples:
    • Only one, weird, linear quest to get into the Dark Brotherhood. No longer do you get to make the really fun choice of who you're going to kill to get in! Instead you have to march all the way to Windhelm, talk to the kid,
      for some reason get kidnapped
      , etc...
    • Pretty much forced to join the Mage's Guild (college of winterhold) in the MQ.
    • Forced to participate in the first several quests in the main questline just to enjoy any benefits whatsoever about being born with the soul of a dragon.
    • Required to join the Companions (and get halfway through the questlines) to be a werewolf.
    • Significantly fewer spell effects/castable spells, and a complete lack of spellcrafting. Spells in Skyrim consists of getting 4 different versions of "Oakflesh". Destruction got a huge overhaul, to a lesser extent conjuration got some attention - but every other school of magic is less than what it was prior, with drastically less freedom of customization and experimentation. Enchanting also has significantly fewer possibilities and less freedom.
    • 90% of the time, the mountains in Skyrim do not add square feet of land for you to explore. They're almost entirely rocks. Big rocks. Rather than providing you with different height levels of dungeons or difficulty, they're just big damn rocks that take forever to walk around and/or get stuck on. Often times this results in you taking the same paths you took last time to get around them - which direct you to dungeons. You're more forced to encounter them often times, making things feel more linear.
    • There are significantly fewer clothing options, and most of them are just called "clothes", or "boots".
    • Most inns in the game are the same inn. With the exception of Windhelm, Whiterun, Riften, Solitude, and Markarth - pretty much every village or smaller town is full of the same few houses. Straw roof shacks can get really old. Adding snow to them does not add diversity. Snow is everywhere.
    • The game's dialogue is actually pretty limiting, and is often written to portray your character in a very specific, weird manner. I have no idea why my character would respond with a lot of the options I'm presented with.
    • The amount of player homes is fewer than we've been presented with in the past, and additionally a large portion of (if not all) the time you've got this housecarl forced into your home alongside you.
    • Not sure if this is a legitimate gripe or if it's just something that bugs me personally, but I'm really annoyed with how a lot of people seem to know what in the hell I'm doing when absolutely nobody should know what I'm doing. Why do the guards know I'm in the dark brotherhood? Why if I steal something from somebody with absolutely no witnesses, does the person always send thugs out to get me? How is it when I kill someone miles away from civilization does that person's enemy know to send me a letter thanking me for it? These things I understand are supposed to make it feel like the game is paying attention and reacting to your actions, but they honestly take me out of the experience as much as they aid in immersion.

Those are just some of the things that come to mind right now. Now granted, I love the game, I think it's amazing. And there's a lot of counter-points to the above examples. The world in ways feels more linear, the mountains to me actually make the world feel a little smaller - but the world has a TON in it compared to Oblivion. Trust me, I've looked at the most detailed maps available trying to find a place to put my first "house" mod, and most of my gametime is spent exploring those possibilities in the game. You can't walk 20 yards without finding SOMETHING, a necromancer working at an altar, a dungeon, a radiant story event point, etc. And while I might find some of the settlements repetitive or boring, the dungeons are much less so than in previous games. It's really great.

And while we're more limited on clothing, most of the time characters do look significantly better than before - and the racial diversity is really nice.

Magic got kinda shafted unless you're talking destruction or conjuration, but thieves and warriors got a bunch of neat additions and tweaks. Perks add a whole new way to play the game and really give cool stuff to pursue. I may be limited in how I can be a werewolf, but at least I can become a werewolf. The dialogue may seem forced sometimes, but there's no denying I did find a lot of it really funny the first time I encountered it. Dragon shouts add a whole new layer of gameplay. And the mountains do look gorgeous and add a great feeling to the world, even if they are just rocks a lot of the time.

The world as a whole feels very real, very unforgiving, and I'm really excited to jump back in once we get the creation kit over the next couple weeks.

I'm also hopeful DLC will take care of some of these things, or at least add additional content to give us more options.

To me the game has some parts that are less than what Oblivion had, and others that are far, far ahead of it. I think it lost a lot of the "charm" of Oblivion, but it replaces it with a different kind of unique feeling. It balances out in the end, I'd say. Skyrim as a whole does probably feel more forced, more linear just due to some of the lack of choices and freedom like I mentioned, but it's just...different, not so much worse I suppose.

(Sorry for the book!)
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Also, in Oblivion, you could open ANY container. Here it's pretty severely limited to SOME of the containers. Which, to me, was really a disappointment when first playing.
    Look, an in-tact barrel! Lootz!
    Then you get very disappointed when you can't open it.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Joopson wrote: »
    Also, in Oblivion, you could open ANY container. Here it's pretty severely limited to SOME of the containers. Which, to me, was really a disappointment when first playing.
    Look, an in-tact barrel! Lootz!
    Then you get very disappointed when you can't open it.

i don't know man, but ich felt it was already way too much barrels with cabbage in them :D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Soo.. I return to riverwood, looking all bitchin', to check out how the town is doing. Pet the chicken and shit...
    GKwZN.jpg

Next thing I know, Ivar comes over and starts talking about the pile of wood. I join the convo, you know, start talking about the cut.

He tells me he's gtg, and to not do the "to fucking close (tfc)" command and get high res shots of the wood pile.
    i2W7u.jpg

pcVYD.jpg

I start getting all artistic, that birds eye view shit.
    LqaJZ.jpg

Oops finger slip. WHOA... bricks everywhere! I knew then bug jars were somehow connected!
    DEaJQ.jpg

After I cleaned up the bricks I came in close for a high res shot, you know..
    CvuJ7.png

Are you on drugs? lol
  • Permafrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I decided to continue the main storyline finally, got to solitude where I have a massive bounty after completing the Dark Brotherhood quest and then I get to the stables tell the lady i'm ready and then i'm stuck in a glitch can't move nothing. I have no back up saves since i had to turn off auto save since it constantly caused freezing issues. If I have to restart from the beginning the game is going on the shelf and not getting touched again, as I don't feel like putting another 80+ hours into it again just to get to the point im at.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    maybe you can use a cheat to move through walls or something?