Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• greevar
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Well, just finished the 'kill Alduin' main quest, and honestly, don't really want to mess with the whole "choose sides" quests seeing as I don't like either side's take on things. Probably gonna take a break from Skyrim for a bit...
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    flaagan wrote: »
    Well, just finished the 'kill Alduin' main quest, and honestly, don't really want to mess with the whole "choose sides" quests seeing as I don't like either side's take on things. Probably gonna take a break from Skyrim for a bit...

I found that once you take sides the game seems to make your opposition look like the bad guys so it doesnt matter which side you take because the game makes you seem like the hero on the good side no matter what. Ive only tried empire side of the war so far but Im pretty sure this applies to the stormcloaks too?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4pIqNhSYkM"]Skyrim: 20 Dragons in ~8 Minutes - YouTube[/ame]

I remember someone talking about the possibility to beat 20 dragons at once :p.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    I found that once you take sides the game seems to make your opposition look like the bad guys so it doesnt matter which side you take because the game makes you seem like the hero on the good side no matter what. Ive only tried empire side of the war so far but Im pretty sure this applies to the stormcloaks too?

What I'd like is some kind of option that results in a serious ass-whuppin on those arrogant elves (really hating those pricks)., but without the "nords or nothing" attitude of Ulfric.

Speaking of Ulfric, any way to find out what his Thu'um is without doing something stupid like getting into combat with him?

Oh yeah, high-end dragon armor is friggin awesome looking... though why no 'dragon blade' or 'dragon bow'?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    1) Am I the only guy who thinks dragon armor looks stupid? Ebony armor on the other hand is a thing of beauty (except for the weaksauce helmet).

2) Anyone else had dragons just fall out of the sky dead before a fight even begins? Bizarre as hell. I'm trying to bring the guy down with a bow and arrow (and terrible archery skills/damage) and then he randomly drops to the ground and starts smouldering.

3) Cool violin cover: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL5K09mqwZc"]Skyrim Violin Cover - YouTube[/ame]
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ebony armor is indeed a beautify thing, but the dragon armor just looks cool... (I'm justifying to myself hauling back sooooo much fucking dragon bone and scale!... plus the armor rating's good for the weight).

Was there any talk of DLC or extra missions for the game? There's still a bucketload of stuff for me to find and do, and there's always the temptation to cut every Thalmor I see to ribbons, but any official stuff coming down the line?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ged wrote: »

nope, as far as I know they keep the storylines the same - I've played through the whole game helping the Stormcloaks and then played a little bit with a new character on the Empire side.

The fact that you bump into the sleazy Imperial Torturer right at the beginning if you choose to escape with the Imperial soldier shows that the Empire isn't all rosy.

The only true bad guys in the game seems to be the Thalmor, they are pretty much Elven Nazis. That's why I ultimately sided with the Stormcloaks.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Just a FYI slight spoiler, there is a gray beards neutral quest after you beat the main story line, that lets you not pick sides.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Lately when I kill humaniods they tell me to "be careful" after I smash their faces with my devil mace.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    dfacto wrote: »
    1) Am I the only guy who thinks dragon armor looks stupid? Ebony armor on the other hand is a thing of beauty (except for the weaksauce helmet).

2) Anyone else had dragons just fall out of the sky dead before a fight even begins? Bizarre as hell. I'm trying to bring the guy down with a bow and arrow (and terrible archery skills/damage) and then he randomly drops to the ground and starts smouldering.

3) Cool violin cover: Skyrim Violin Cover - YouTube

Ahh thats the same guy who did the Game of Thrones violin version. :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    xvampire wrote: »
    Skyrim: 20 Dragons in ~8 Minutes - YouTube

I remember someone talking about the possibility to beat 20 dragons at once :p.

hows that guy not run out of mana ?

cool vid though
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    rolfness wrote: »
    hows that guy not run out of mana ?

cool vid though

Easy, just enchant your armor/clothes with fortify destruction 25% on four pieces. Then your destruction spells cost 0. Get the extra effect perk in enchanting and you can do the same with another school (restoration is good for infinite wards).
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Just a FYI slight spoiler, there is a gray beards neutral quest after you beat the main story line, that lets you not pick sides.

Thanks!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was there any talk of DLC or extra missions for the game? There's still a bucketload of stuff for me to find and do, and there's always the temptation to cut every Thalmor I see to ribbons, but any official stuff coming down the line?

I know they're already working on DLC packs. Bethesda is great with that stuff, so I would have been really surprised if they opted to not release any more content. The Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion added a whole new area to the world and 30+ more hours of gameplay.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder how dlc works technically? Do they replace some file and add more walk-able area?

There is very temting border gate to morrowind in skyrim. But the game doesnt allow me to go trough
  • mLichy
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    xvampire wrote: »
    I wonder how dlc works technically? Do they replace some file and add more walk-able area?

There is very temting border gate to morrowind in skyrim. But the game doesnt allow me to go trough

It's a very modular system, a plugin can alter anything in the world or add more to it.

For example: a plugin/dlc can add new buildings, new npc's, or a new cave to the world, and the actual cave will be a seperate zone within that plugin, and any amount of plugins can be loaded in the game as long as they don't conflict with eachother.

Good part is: these plugins can be added even to a game in progress.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    The only true bad guys in the game seems to be the Thalmor, they are pretty much Elven Nazis. That's why I ultimately sided with the Stormcloaks.

good point, my idea was to join the empire and then destroy their leadership from the inside when they are least expecting it, then kill the thalmor with my empire army LOL it would be impressive if the game allowed that though!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Aren't the empire just biding their time? Its not like they are sided with the thalmor. They weren't even enforcing the the anti Talos rules until Ulfric started getting vocal about them and attracted the thalmors attention.

I joined the empire in the end, i figured there was no room for human in fighting when the elves were so intent on wiping them out.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did you guys realize, no bounty added for every thalmor guy you kill
    its clear that everyone in skyrim hates thalmor, even high elf .. :p

btw Skyrim is 40.19$ on steam today ... hmm
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD - where's this 'middleground' mission you speak of, couldn't find anything about it...

Also, finally died from a dragon (after killing Alduin, no less). I was at some random necromancer-overrun fort, and was having to deal with two high-level magic users, when a big red "Ancient Dragon" showed up. I wasn't paying any attention, and next thing I know I'm in a cutscene with the dragon biting down on my upper torso, shaking me around a good bit, then tossing me aside like a ragdoll. XD
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Lol that's what happened to the blacksmith from riverwood when a dragon attacked it randomly. It was badass but now I have one less weapons merchant :(
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    do you still need more money? i don't even now where to spend all that money i have, i have crates and barrels full of crap in pretty much every city nearby the traders and i have like 120k gold, i really don't know what to do with all that money
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    jesus how did you manage to get so much money ? I always max out at around 8-9k and then spend it all on training different professions
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm curious about that too. I have to pretty much farm a few vendors with a lot of fast travel and I'm only at about 12k on average (with a lot of stuff stowed).
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    you guys must pick up every single item .. I usually only pick up valuable loot.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Theives guild, that fence lady in the ragged flaggen resets to 4k gold every couple days. Since she's a fence you can sell stolen goods to her, but generally, she accepts every type of item as well. I'd fill up and flip her every two locations.

Full decor the 5 houses and dark brotherhood, get 100 smithing and enchanting, stock up on daedra hearts for making their gear and grand grand gems, not sure where else to spend
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Ah I see. I don't tend to steal, and I am not focusing on lockpicking, sneaking or pickpocketing with my character so I've kind of avoided the thieving guild altogether. Thought I'd save it for a different character build.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ask ur wive some money ... :o, in skyrim
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, yeah, not theiving, so dunno if that'd work for me... My lockpicking's high level though, it's a fun minigame so I've always got a bucketload of lockpicks on hand. I will say that I've got only valuable stuff in stock, it's just that the vendors all are at 1k every day or so... kind of surprising that there's no 'regular' vendors with more money.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well if you stick points in speech you will get vendors with more cash, but it's a lot of points that could be going into enchanting/smithing/whatever
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I know one of the thief skill trees gives you a lot of bonuses to having vendors rolling in the septims. *If* I start up another character I'll go the bad-guy route.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Yeah as a thief you can get quite a lot of money, also smithing helps. I stopped taking almost everything out of the dungeons around 40k as traveling from one merchant to another became pretty boring after a while. I sold most stuff in whiterun as you have 4 merchants very close to eachother, the rest has been sold to the thieves guild, as i was there every now and then for the quests.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder how many people the engine (and our systems) can handle at once, it'd be pretty cool to see a big battle between the Stormcloaks and the Empire out in the planes around Whiterun.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLichy - I'm particularly fond of the decapitation cutscene. The one where you break the hip of the Dwemer Centurion is pretty cool too.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder how many people the engine (and our systems) can handle at once, it'd be pretty cool to see a big battle between the Stormcloaks and the Empire out in the planes around Whiterun.

Clearly you haven't seen the mission to take Forts from the Stormcloaks/Imperials. Many bodies getting bloody in that.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar wrote: »
    Clearly you haven't seen the mission to take Forts from the Stormcloaks/Imperials. Many bodies getting bloody in that.

Nope, I've yet to take a side yet. Also, I'm trying to find that "neutral side" mission from the Greybeards that ZacD mentioned.

I do like the sound of taking over Forts as big battles... hmmmm.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The fort taking missions are a ton of fun in the imperial quest. I'd be nice if there was a PC version of the game that wasn't so limited on number of characters on screen for them (for all those granpa's still playing on console). When powerkilling with my archer, I'd end up standing at their spawn and wasting dudes as they appeared.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Nope, I've yet to take a side yet. Also, I'm trying to find that "neutral side" mission from the Greybeards that ZacD mentioned.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what he said, all he's talking about is the part in the MQ where you bring the two sides to a "stand still" for the duration of the dragon criss (presumably the MQ). There's a quest where, if you have yet to win the war for either side, you bring the two leaders together and assign reassign some holds. The two sides are still very much at war, it doesn't end or actually change much of anything if anything. It's just a quest, supposedly so that you can do something in Whiterun without the Jarl of Whiterun feeling like he's going to get caught up in a battle, but it doesn't really do anything from what I can tell.

So far as actually ending the war or changing the state of Skyrim goes, the only way is to pick a side - Imperials or Stormcloaks (unless I've not discovered something). There is no "neutral" solution.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crabtacular.jpg
    Damn that's a big mudcrab
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Unless I'm misinterpreting what he said, all he's talking about is the part in the MQ where you bring the two sides to a "stand still" for the duration of the dragon criss (presumably the MQ). There's a quest where, if you have yet to win the war for either side, you bring the two leaders together and assign reassign some holds. The two sides are still very much at war, it doesn't end or actually change much of anything if anything. It's just a quest, supposedly so that you can do something in Whiterun without the Jarl of Whiterun feeling like he's going to get caught up in a battle, but it doesn't really do anything from what I can tell.

So far as actually ending the war or changing the state of Skyrim goes, the only way is to pick a side - Imperials or Stormcloaks (unless I've not discovered something). There is no "neutral" solution.

Yeah, I did that one just recently for the "getting to Alduin's realm" thing.
  • e2rd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope to see many cool mods in skyrim from the talented polycount members :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    any news on the mod tools yet?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    No news so far...

Goddamnit I want to make my own ironman suit
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    haha!

Got my arse handed to me on a plate by some ice wraiths where the snow veil sanctum is last night... think I might leave that one for now :D

Really enjoying the game, feels much more approachable compared to Oblivion. Though it sends the mrs asleep when I'm playing it and my save game is on her 360.... think I might have to be extra nice to her in future when wanting to play it!
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    crabtacular.jpg
    Damn that's a big mudcrab

What the hell??? LOL
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone must have used "setscale". Fun fact though. In Morrowind, the Redoran council hut in Ald'Rhun was said to be made from the hollowed out shell of giant mudcrabs.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Clearly a giant enemy crab!