Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Ok now I have to know what he posted
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    frell wrote: »
    Ok now I have to know what he posted

Dragon destroying the World Trade Center.
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    A little late to the party.. Anyone playing multiple characters? I am at a point where I want to start new campaigns with different specializations. This game is way too much :(
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I have 3 main characters, a pure mage, a melee-heavy-armor-archer, and a thief mage.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm going to play a viking my next run, AFTER the Kit comes out.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Fuse wrote: »
    A little late to the party.. Anyone playing multiple characters? I am at a point where I want to start new campaigns with different specializations. This game is way too much :(
    you might want to try this :)
    http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15
    character save manager for skyrim, im still trying it tho,
    it seems works

I have 1 more character , but it takes me many hours just to do 1 character.
    back then I didn't realize that I can choose between Hadvar or Ralof , I just run like mad from the dragon and accidentally choose Hadvar,>.< >.<
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still playing on the one character I've built... granted I'm doing damn near every quest I can find (as long as it doesn't stray into "too evil"). I can't imagine doing multiple characters with the game, unless you're specifically choosing to not do quest arcs because they don't fit in with your character spec... or you just have nothing better to do and are playing 24/7...
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Neox wrote: »
    you've been a massive mmo fan in the mid 90ies? whoah i didn't even have internet back then!

nah. it's possible to miss morrowind and oblivion. Although if you chose Everquest over Morrowind then you should really get punished ;)
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Is anyone else suffering from random-death syndrome?

I keep just randomly dying for ridiculous reasons.

I was running up to where those greybeards are at. Out of fucking nowhere this frost troll jumps down at me from above and kills me in 1-hit. The whole thing happened over maybe 2.5seconds. Had a major wtf look on my face. Went there again, this time saving before that part, and tried to fight it only to die, again, in under 2 seconds. Why would they even put that there?

This is AFTER I killed a dragon mind you. So I figured "hey, I killed a f'n dragon, I think I can take a troll". Nope.

Otherwise I'm running around with my horse, and I take a fall that can't be more than 5 feet high, definitely shorter than my character, and it kills my 1k-gold horse! I get up with 50% health. So I try it again, and the horse dies again. I figure "oh fuck it, I'll just run that stretch with no horse". This time my character dies from that 5-feet drop, where previously (on horseback) it survived it.

Overall though I seem to keep dying to random trolls that come out of nowhere, and random small falls that don't look like they would kill me.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    ***Falls not so much for me, but enemy damage for sure. Random enemies will sometimes be extremely tough for no apparent reason, or have super strong attacks. There's something wrong with the level scaling because it just seems to keep fluctuating.

When I was lvl 15-20 I was reaping my way across the countryside smacking bandits and forsworn down and making justicars my bitches. Then I hit the 20s and all of the sudden justicar mages are one-shoting me, and random forsworn looters take a minute to kill. All of this is on master difficulty throughout. Sometimes I'll even get fucked by random arrows which do huge damage. It's "hardcore" and all, but I'm not a huge fan of the quicksave/quickload playstyle; trekking through the same patch of land 3 times in order to beat an enemy is just bad for immersion. I'm honestly wondering whether to lower the difficulty down just so I can enjoy the world more, because lets face it, the combat isn't the high-point of the game.

Either way I'm sure once the creation kit comes out there will be mods to smooth out the difficulty curve so you get a fair chance in fights.

EDIT: There's a console command to make your character essential, so that instead of dying you kneel down and regenerate like companions do. This would be a great fix to the autokill problems in the game if you could mod it to only let you stagger once in a fight, and didn't let enemies perform kill moves on you so you lose your head or get eaten by a dragon. Or, and I hate myself for suggesting this, but a quicktime event as a last ditch way to avoid a critical death blow would be an improvement. Just something to let you avoid reloading nonstop with some enemies.
  • AntoxaGray
    I completed game and I want to say. Don't level up to 50 level, it will be boring and super easy to play. Enemies are not scaling well in this game.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    ^^ Good, then you are successfully a hero.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmm yeah, I 'completed' the game at around level 36 and it was getting easy (at least, with high level conjouration spells)

I think the best approach is to only do quests relevant to your character, finish before hitting the level cap, then starting a new character and doing the other quests. With my second character I suddenly started having a lot more fun when enemies could kill me again
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    frell wrote: »
    ^^ Good, then you are successfully a hero.

Yeah, I was actually glad to hear this, that was one of the major fuckups they made with Oblivion, because you were a wimp no matter what you did. Getting killed by a rat at lvl 20, wtf?!! At least thats one thing I dont have to have mod for. :poly136:
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Real cool to hear that people are dabbling in multiple characters.

It's not that I am purposefully avoiding certain quests, it's just that I am finding a lot of cool places and quests that aren't particularly relevant to the way I am building. For instance I am not even doing the magic training but would like to go that path with another character. Similarly I didnt join the thieving guild since I don't focus on sneaking and lock picking. Item enchantment is something I want to get into but really end up focusing on other traits like smithing.

I feel like there are some other awesome experiences I am skimming over due to my specializations, but managing multiple characters in such a vast game scares me. I didn't even finish fallout 3 or oblivion. What chance do I have with skyrim :)
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse - I'm a single-handed weapon, heavy armor wearing warrior, but my guy's still damn good with a bow. Also, just finised the quests that made me the Arch-Mage of Winterhold... and I don't think I've put a single point into my magic use.

I'm noticing a number of issues with misc quest items. I managed to find a book that the librarian at Winterhold wants before I got the quest, and now I can't give it to him or remove it from inventory (few other items like that). Also, I've picked up a lute and a few other items that I haven't been given quests for, but they stay in my inventory listed as quest items.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, side thought.. wtf is it with Elves in fantasy settings being racist power-hungry douchebags?
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I was really hoping in this one that the creatures and people in the wilderness would only be a challenge for low level players and the stronger creatures would be found in deepest, most remote dungeons. Basically, if you feel like it's too far to walk back from that dungeon, it should probably be a challenging one with lots of good loot and high level foes.

Also, dragons vs. giants/trolls/bear/etc. WTF? They can kill a dragon better than I can and they can also one-shot me. Why can't it be that dragons are a winged death to anything but the Dragonborn? For example, the Dragonborn possesses an active effect from their blood that they can do large amounts of damage to dragons while rank and file NPCs can barely touch them without enchanted equipment. So, Giants and bears can't kill dragons like I can, because I'm the one and only dragon slayer. Oh, and shouts need to be more powerful against random creatures. A mage can easily outstrip the power his shouts can have. They should be effective against dragons, but devastating to others since most have extremely long cool-downs.

Oh, and this is purely a wishlist item of fantasy, but I would like to transform into a dragon to fight other dragons in the air! I really wish this was possible.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Flaagan same issues here, my inventory is full of crap i don't need or can give to someone
    I dunno i started the mainquest after 80 hours of gameplay, my first dragon (though in mage quest line so it might not count as a real dragonfight, btw im archmage with 100 magicka o_O) was a 1 shot kill with my bow, at this point it doesn't matter much who the enemies are, besides some draugrbosses and the story dragons nothing can even get close enough to touch me, most enemies die from one shot, i kinda feel i wont finish the main quest as it just doesn't feel any challenging or even interesting anymore. Are there any mods to make it a bit more challenging? Even with highest difficulty te enemies rarely see me when hidden so 2-3 arrows are pretty much the maximum for almost any character :/
    Lets see after the christmas break right now i don't feel like touching it again

Though this might be a good decision :D
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Another "I wish".. Whiterun is supposed to be the 'trading hub for Skyrim'... but Solitude looks more like that's the place to be. The "wish" comes in the form of wishing there was at least one place where the vendors were properly loaded with cash, I have a chest full to the brim with pricey items I want to unload. I'd really like to just sell them off and get gold for them. I seem to be stuck at around ~10k gold.. buying the house in Solitude was a pain in the ass as I had to keep grabbing stuff from the chest, waiting a day or two, and selling it off in various towns, repeat, etc til I had enough.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Is anyone else suffering from random-death syndrome?

I keep just randomly dying for ridiculous reasons.

I was running up to where those greybeards are at. Out of fucking nowhere this frost troll jumps down at me from above and kills me in 1-hit. The whole thing happened over maybe 2.5seconds. Had a major wtf look on my face. Went there again, this time saving before that part, and tried to fight it only to die, again, in under 2 seconds. Why would they even put that there?

This is AFTER I killed a dragon mind you. So I figured "hey, I killed a f'n dragon, I think I can take a troll". Nope.

Otherwise I'm running around with my horse, and I take a fall that can't be more than 5 feet high, definitely shorter than my character, and it kills my 1k-gold horse! I get up with 50% health. So I try it again, and the horse dies again. I figure "oh fuck it, I'll just run that stretch with no horse". This time my character dies from that 5-feet drop, where previously (on horseback) it survived it.

Overall though I seem to keep dying to random trolls that come out of nowhere, and random small falls that don't look like they would kill me.

that frost troll got me a lil stumped too, Im only level 7 (I know, noob!) but was weird as I was owning everything else and then found that i was hardly denting him, I just used flame and shouts to eff him up but was weird how the difficulty just spiked as all the other enemies are suddenly really tough now aswell. Still not touching the giant dudes though, they look at me and I die!!!!

Also I did a quest just before where you end up in a cave and have to kill a dude and hes surrounded by about 8 guys that suddenly rush you and they are almost invincible compared to my punyness, but the build up to him in the cave, I was killing his henchman left and right with ease. Seemed strange that him and his groupies are so tough in comparison to the earlier rabble. Had to leave that quest until I level up a bit which seemed silly, why let me in there in the first place?

Overall Im enjoying it though, Im not a big fan of bethesda games usually, atleast the characters look pretty in places compared to their older titles but the vast, do whatever you want gameplay gives me little incentive to go on. I just done the greybeards bit in the mountains and havent felt the need to get back in and play some more yet, but will probably have a go tomorrow.

I think Im more of a zelda or mass effect person, something with a bit more structure and polish.
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Hah, yeah, THAT frost troll on the way up...

I was a little stumped by that too, i eventually countered him with a bit of bad AI pathing (if you go around the rock as if you were carrying on, then duck in behind it he'll keep trying to go different ways.

Was a bit tricky as I had been throwing everything into archery, so once he got close I was f'd in the a' per se.

Haven't played very much in a while, need to get back to my character, and preferably do less side quests, I keep picking up MORE by accident and the number of quests I have is a bit overwhelming at times, especially now that I'm playing less often. :) (I'll get to them all eventually though)

I agree that Solitude is awesome and fits more as a main city. I guess it's not simply because it doesn't give off that nord vibe that the game is all about. Going in there for the first time felt like I was in the Imperial city in Oblivion.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I just got bored after a while...
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Whiterun definitely feels more like a Nord city, and Solitude defniitely feels more UK-ish.. I still find it a bit odd having the "Empire" being garbed in a Roman-style gear...
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    will your companion characters equip items that you give them ?
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah if it's better than what they have (and have skills to use it). sometimes they only do it after you move through a door or fast travel
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Started a fresh, legit pacifist adventurer before the holiday. Basically, not killing anything, and visiting every location in the game. Found everything in the lower states so far and around rank 36. Addicted to controling people.

Illusion is the most effective magic. I've experiemented with a few builds using it. You can calm (calm, pacify, etc) anything, pickpocket or backstab without any trouble. Illusion gets to 100 quickly. I traveled the entirety of The Rift invisible. Pacify + Frenzy is pretty much god mode. Muffle + Invisibility = walk through everything.

Once pickpocket is 100, take their weapons and armor before they have a chance to fight. I ran into a tougher character, stole his weapons and armor, gave it to a weaker bandit, frenzied them, and the weaker won. Then I stole that stuff back. Crazy amounts of money from selling everything to a fencer. Just started buying houses.

I'm thinking my next build will be an illusionist Assassin on the highest difficulty. Maybe even marry a lizard.

grats on 100 pages, suckas
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Marry? Wait.. what?
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Marry? Wait.. what?
    You can go to the priest of Mara in Riften and ask him about marriage.
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Also, anyone figure out what the firewood is for ?
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, anyone figure out what the firewood is for ?

You sell it to the wood mill.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    If you chop wood all day you can make a lot of money/be bored off your ass.
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I'd say about eight more months till there are mods that fix everything.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    Much less. There are hacks which already improve areas of the game and that's without mod tools. Once the creation kit comes out in january (?) the gameplay annoyances should be gone by march.

But really, the most important mod came out 10 days after release, so I don't know what you guys are talking about. http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=774
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing like having to redo over an hour of gameplay and side quests because you apparently caught vampirism... just glad I had a savegame right before it got past the point of being curable at an altar. Really wish it was more apparent that you've been afflicted...
  • MadnessImport
    I had to suffer being a vamp in oblivion

I had gotten trapped inside an inn with no way to sleep/Wait/Rest because some Daedra douche was CONVENIENTLY inside one of the locked rooms of the inn which i had to PICK to get inside And there was nothing i could do but suffer because the sun was blazing and i had no more than 1/8th of my health left from trying to escape a near buy oblivion gate IN the sun

Picking the lock would attract attention and going outside would kill me
    The best part WAS!!!! I had no backup saves since the time i became vamp and that was over 5 hours of play time ago. I liked being a vamp until all this crap started to happen

So i took a risk of picking the lock. Getting the guards attention on the Daedra worshiper stealing random food around the Inn to raise my health and getting the fuck outa there before i was pwnt by the guards

The plan was almost flawless until i took some arrows to the back by some people that were in the Inn after me
    Still dont know why they were after me....
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    If I remember right, if you don't pay, they just take you to jail, right? Other than the choice to fight them? Sounds like another way to escape :)
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Also, some dog bit me and it said I got some disease. I don't know what it does, but every time I'm in a town people are all like "Man, you look like crap, what's wrong with you?". I don't see any indication in the UI that I have a disease, or that my char is under-performing, and I have no clue how to get rid of it.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Nothing like having to redo over an hour of gameplay and side quests because you apparently caught vampirism... just glad I had a savegame right before it got past the point of being curable at an altar. Really wish it was more apparent that you've been afflicted...

join the companions, thats the easiest solution, you won't be able to become a vampire anymore :P

@bigjohn: either do the same and become a companion or go to a shrine also you can check in the magic tab in the active effects thingie
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    active effects under magic will show you any deseases. A Thalos shrine like the one in whiterun by the crazy preaching man will cure all deseases.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    active effects under magic will show you any deseases. A Thalos shrine like the one in whiterun by the crazy preaching man will cure all deseases.

ALL PRAISE THALOS! :poly142:

With all the random crap you encounter in Skyrim, it's a pretty damn good idea to visit your shrine of choice on a regular basis.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    What I'd really like to know is what causes the vampirism, like is it a melee attack or a particular spell, and by specific vampire critters? I know when certain woodland critters attack I'm at risk for certain weakening diseases.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    Just noticed a stupid bug. On certain melee kill moves (for me one handed axe) you get the same harsh metallic clanging death sound as you did in Fallout 3 animations. REALLY out of place.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    What I'd really like to know is what causes the vampirism, like is it a melee attack or a particular spell, and by specific vampire critters? I know when certain woodland critters attack I'm at risk for certain weakening diseases.

Any attack be it magic or melee by a vampire will do and you should notice the red around the screen us much more intense, also once you suffer from the disease, from time to time the screen gets reddish
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    Any attack be it magic or melee by a vampire will do and you should notice the red around the screen us much more intense, also once you suffer from the disease, from time to time the screen gets reddish

So pretty much any time I fight some vamps, gotta go back to a shrine.

Another 'wish' item.. I'm carrying bucketloads of potions around for healing, stamina, and magic, wish you could combine alike potions into better (or average of the two) potions with stronger results... would definitely cut down on how much I have to carry. I really don't need the stuff for 90% of the battles, but those random times where some uber-critter starts wailing on me it comes in handy to have.
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    The potency of the potions increases with your alchemy skills I believe. Enchanted items can also give you alchemy bonuses. I also carry a few 'cure disease" potions just for that occasion.

Question: is giving potions to my companion a useless waste of time? I don't think she uses the potions.

I set up my girl with a full set of upgraded dwarven armor and weapons so I would be really dissapointed if she got killed because the bitch wasnt smart enough to heal herself :(
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The potency of the potions increases with your alchemy skills I believe. Enchanted items can also give you alchemy bonuses. I also carry a few 'cure disease" potions just for that occasion.

Question: is giving potions to my companion a useless waste of time? I don't think she uses the potions.

I set up my girl with a full set of upgraded dwarven armor and weapons so I would be really dissapointed if she got killed because the bitch wasnt smart enough to heal herself :(

Under normal circumstances, your companion or follower should bend over in the "I'm almost dead" pose, and not actually die, 99% of the time. Unless you hit them by mistake or they get hit by an AoE attack, enemies should just ignore them, and they will slowly heal and get up on their own. If you are a destruction mage, you have to be really careful and quick save a lot.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    I think poison can kill them, since I had Lydia die on me in some Falmer ruins without me doing anything to her. Anything else shouldn't, and that includes traps and such. One fight with a boss guarding a dragon shout wall was me running away from him and bash sniping while Lydia knelt down ontop of a flame trap on full blast. She didn't die, but she sure wasn't helping me that battle.
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCrhDamN82k&quot;]Skyrim : 2500 Cheese wheels rolling off a mountain. - YouTube[/ame]
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Well in my case there were instances where she would be killed by an ice troll or a giant so it doesn't always work out that way.

Also, it appears that using the "lightning storm" shout damages and kills lydia. QA fail or by design? I have to plan ahead in these instances and have her stay put while I run ahead and use the shout on some enemies.

Lastly, clicking the inventory menu with merchants is buggy. Clicking the MISC category exits the trade dialogue quite often :( . Gets really annoying.