Replies

• MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    DECRYPT FASTER YOU LITTLE SHIT
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    So, what do you guys think. Is it better to get it on PC and run with possible low-medium settings but the chance to get mods, or Xbox for better looking settings than my PC at least. Personally I don't know which one would load faster, I remember Oblivion on xbox loves it's loading.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh, they pre-set my settings to ultra and I get horrible fps... I knew this would happen -.- new games are so risky because im not always sure my hardware will perform. I can get 70 fps in most games but in some I don't break 20.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Scatch that, not my hardware. Alot of people are getting 10 fps with top notch hardware.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    frell wrote: »
    Scatch that, not my hardware. Alot of people are getting 10 fps with top notch hardware.

Same, had quite a bunch of issues, a bunch of them went away as soon as I left the first dungeon, latency is still not perfect, and I had some unreasonable slowdowns, on a 560ti, so see if it improves as soon as you get out in the open.

turning off vsync and mousesmoothing helped a bit though, but the game seems to have problems with varying framerates when it comes to calculating mouse-movement.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    It was riding in the cart at the beginning that did it.

Supposedly the Catalyst 11.10 driver runs it better, but you have to manually install it.. yay
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Hm... I dont like the sound of this, hope they maybe come out with a patch/bugfix soon if it's to bad, 2 hours left now and I can go home from work, then 1 hour walk home, then decrypting for how long that takes and THEN I can play skyrim(I hope) :)

Is this only on ati cards or nvidia cards aswell?
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Eld, I dont see a vsync option anywhere?
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Eld, I dont see a vsync option anywhere?

/Users/Youraccount/My documents/My Games/Skyrim/

in Skyrim.ini add iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom, should turn off vsync from what I've read.

in Skyrimprefs.ini search for bMouseAcceleration=1 and change it to bMouseAcceleration=0 to turn of acceleration
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    So I got a good 9-10 hours in yesterday and overall I'm very happy with it except for the one freeze I got. I also noticed floating rocks, trees and my favourite glitch of all...a mammoth flying into space and falling to its death. The giants weren't happy about it (one hit POW).

If you're a magic user like me then make the pilgrimage to the college as soon as you can. There's some great trainers and the magic sold by the dodgy dealer is so useful. Mmmm fire and ice runestone.

Also what's with Ezio being everywhere. Literally every male is the same voice actor. It was hilarious, there were three males with Ezio's voice actor talking to each other. Reminded me of that Family Guy joke where two characters with the same voice meet for the first time.

The dragon fights that I experienced were a little clumsy at times and one of them killed my companion >_< Not funny when she was carrying 300 weight worth of loot. But the lame thing is I went to a tower where black mages resided and a dragon came out of nowhere. You'd think the mages would consider a dragon more of a threat but they kept chasing after me while I dealt with the dragon.

I also ran into two old orcs within an hour. It's an example of that random quest thing that people are going on about.

The animations are to be expected, a bit flickery especially in conversations when another NPC walks in front of the one who is talking to you.

Finally I actually find the mages guild questline more interesting than the main one.

I look forward to another night of Skyrim but first some work :D
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Just got about an hour in. Great start, and immediately fun things happening all over the overworld! Looking forward to more of this.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I think I'm about 10 hours in and I feel like I've barely left the introductory missions.

I've been playing Skyrim as a thief simulator, and I got to say, if you want to level up quickly, pickpocketing is the way to go. I went from level 7 to 8 in one house. Playing as a thief has its own problems though.

I've had alot of problems with people wanting to kill me at the drop of a hat though. Accidentally hit a guard in town while fighting bad guys? ALL GUARDS NOW WANT YOU DEAD. I spent along time on the first dragon battle, and then when I cleared it, I tested my new shout and it hit a guard. ALL GUARDS NOW WANT YOU DEAD. Repeat asshole mission X(

So yeah, save often. Nothing has spoiled the game for me though, it's really fantastic.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    fearian wrote: »
    So yeah, save often. Nothing has spoiled the game for me though, it's really fantastic.

So true, quick save was my most used weapon in oblivion:thumbup:
  • MainManiac
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Turning off AA altogether and setting shadows to medium bumped me up 40 fps
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Dude use the edit button, you keep on double posting. Just sayin.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-8Lkj_I7bI&quot;]Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collectors Edition Unboxing!!!1 - YouTube[/ame]

did you guys get the collectors edition? I wonder if I can find out at Frys today
  • slipsius
    here's the link for anyone that bought the physical copy for PC and doesnt want to download it through steam.

INSTALL FROM YOUR DISK!

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1318656
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i have a question:

i cannot stand playing RPG's in first person, it's just something that's always grated me, and while Oblivion had the option of playing in third person it looked... not good.

is this still the case in Skyrim?
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think third person is the best choice for this game, although it is much better than Oblivion's third person view.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    i have a question:

i cannot stand playing RPG's in first person, it's just something that's always grated me, and while Oblivion had the option of playing in third person it looked... not good.

is this still the case in Skyrim?

Animations are better, camera is snappy like modded third person camera in oblivion, so yeah, much better than oblivion.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    It's better, but I'll always prefer first person, it just doesn't feel like Elder Scrolls for me in 3rd person.
    slipsius wrote: »
    here's the link for anyone that bought the physical copy for PC and doesnt want to download it through steam.

INSTALL FROM YOUR DISK!

Thank you SO much Slipsius, I really appreciate that. Will give this a shot this afternoon once I finish work!
  • slipsius
    haha no prob prophecies. I had my night planned out to play all night long right from when i get home from work. If i had to sit around for hours downloading it, i would have been utterly pissed off.

Im kind of nervous though. So much talk about how the pc is a bad port. bad controls. bad UI. Which is retarded. Elder scrolls was originally a PC game... then it was ported to console. now they are neglecting the pc. If you`re going to port it. port it right. thats all im saying.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    3rd person looks insane in skyrim
  • neolith
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18

INSTALL FROM YOUR DISK!

Damn, why didn't you post that two days ago? :D
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    haha no prob prophecies. I had my night planned out to play all night long right from when i get home from work. If i had to sit around for hours downloading it, i would have been utterly pissed off.

Im kind of nervous though. So much talk about how the pc is a bad port. bad controls. bad UI. Which is retarded. Elder scrolls was originally a PC game... then it was ported to console. now they are neglecting the pc. If you`re going to port it. port it right. thats all im saying.

It is a bit bumpy, but I'm sure bethesda will fix up the latency and performance issues on the pc version, the UI itself is a bit more streamlined than it was in oblivion, but bugs surrounding mouse input and performance will make it hard to navigate it with the mouse, and some other things, like the lack of 1-9 hotkeys but having to rely on the console style favorite weapons menu.

The game still makes up for that in its current form, until they fix it up :P
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    Same, had quite a bunch of issues, a bunch of them went away as soon as I left the first dungeon, latency is still not perfect, and I had some unreasonable slowdowns, on a 560ti, so see if it improves as soon as you get out in the open.

turning off vsync and mousesmoothing helped a bit though, but the game seems to have problems with varying framerates when it comes to calculating mouse-movement.

My framerate was like 15fps on high, running 1680x1050 (my monitors max res). Turn off antialiasing and it ran at least 3x faster.

If there's any feature to turn off first, its AA.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    My framerate was like 15fps on high, running 1680x1050 (my monitors max res). Turn off antialiasing and it ran at least 3x faster.

If there's any feature to turn off first, its AA.

putting shadows at medium helps quite a ton too, there's really something weird with shadow-performance as mentioned previously, I turned off AA and AF, but in reality I would expect this game to run flawlessly on a 560ti, it's definitely not intended to be this slow.
  • slipsius
    hmmmm..... shouldnt pc having higher performance right from the get go? they have better hardware. whats the deal?

i mean, ill still play the shit out of it. but still. kinda nervous. i guess ill find out in 8 hours?
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone else have the problem where it says 0 dragon souls when you shout at the monks?

Nevermind its Z :P go figure
  • Sean VanGorder
    Eld - Since I know you're a fellow Oblivion buff, what are your initial impressions? I have my collector's edition waiting at home, but I have a full work day first. :(
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Had a quick go last night before bed, playing on PC

UI keyboard and mouse controls made me want to cry , but luckly there seems to be some ini tweaks out there.

One thing, when i goto the inventory screen i cant see my character like i used, also the freelook around your character is very restrictive, sorta liked the free look in morrowind and oblivion to see how cool your character is.

Not really played the game yet, but from what i read im looking forward to some mods that fix the ui etc...
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    ...like the lack of 1-9 hotkeys but having to rely on the console style favorite weapons menu.

You should be able to display your favorites, select one, and press 1-9, setting that favorite as a quick swap.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    hmmmm..... shouldnt pc having higher performance right from the get go? they have better hardware. whats the deal?

i mean, ill still play the shit out of it. but still. kinda nervous. i guess ill find out in 8 hours?

I believe the 360 was the target platform?
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Geezus wrote: »
    You should be able to display your favorites, select one, and press 1-9, setting that favorite as a quick swap.

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks! going to try it out!
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Eld - Since I know you're a fellow Oblivion buff, what are your initial impressions? I have my collector's edition waiting at home, but I have a full work day first. :(

Hah, I'm a morrowind and daggerfall buff, it is the best of oblivion and morrowind though, it has the accessibility of oblivion and the deep mysterious world of morrowind, and a hint of randomness from daggerfall.

Combat is better this time too, with stamina being tons of fun, it's way more meaty, and you actually feel exhausted as your character becomes low on stamina, heavy breathing etc.

I'm not very far in, but I can already tell it's gonna be one of the better elderscrolls games so far.
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Oh, I didn't know that, thanks! going to try it out!

Yar! I was pretty stoked when I came across that. Switching from 2hander, sword and board, healing, and soul trap all on the fly is nice. <3 pc. :)
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Enemies taunting me by banging their shield with their weapon makes for some badass moments.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Game is beautiful, its really boring though. The dragon fights are amazing and im getting involved with some more... evil... factions to have more fun :)

Dark Brotherhood here I come
  • slipsius
    ... its really boring though.

trolling? or do you actually find it boring?
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    trolling? or do you actually find it boring?

Well, it's a fact the game is not for everybody.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    No I wasn't trolling, I dont like how quite some of the quests can be. Im not a story heavy person but I like the immersion.

screenshot2qo.png
    screenshot3pzu.png
    screenshot4je.png
    screenshot5o.png

:)
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Pre-ordered and paid extra for day one delivery.

It did not get delivered today.

Absolutely Flawless.

Fuck you amazon. :(
  • slipsius
    Just picked up my CE on my lunch break. that box is huge!

the art book is astounding! leather bound, high quality book. cant wait to go through it with some free time.

The dragon statue siiick. though, the stone base feels cheap, and i find it doesnt sit ontop if it very well. im thinking of rigging it up to sit peering over my computer screen. hehe
  • mLichy
    Like someone else I know noted, why are the creatures/ other objects higher res than the First Person assets? The FP Arms, ect look pretty low res..... is backwards
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    The dragon statue siiick. though, the stone base feels cheap, and i find it doesnt sit ontop if it very well. im thinking of rigging it up to sit peering over my computer screen. hehe

We had noticed that with a few that we got here. A couple of us ended up taking a heat gun or blow dryer to the dragon and fixing some of the warping issues on the feet. All of the issues we noticed were so very minor, but we wanted them to be perfect!

edit:

@frell: That Tundra Marsh area below Solitude is gorgeous. Just sayin'. :D
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    This game is huge. Picked it up at midnight last night, my wife and I played it for about 7 hours in total.

This game feels drastically different than Oblivion to me. If you were expecting to step out into the world and explore like crazy kicking ass - think again. I tried walking from where you pop out to uh...some city in the west that started with an M I think. I can't tell you how many times I died, how many times I encountered things (not at the top of mountains) that just slaughtered me. Bandit Chiefs that killed me with one or two power hits, spriggans that I didn't put a dent in, etc.

Unlike Oblivion, where you spawned and you just sort of felt...in control, of everything - this feels almost the exact opposite. You are a stranger - in a vast, strange world. You do not know what you're doing, you do not know where you are, what you'll find, or if you'll be able to survive the person who lives in the home you just broke into.

Honestly it's pretty overwhelming. I played Oblivion at 70=100% difficulty (enemies 3 to 6 times harder), probably thousands of hours. But this I'm not turning up past default for quite awhile until I get good and used to things. I wasn't expecting this to be honest. Gone are the days of "By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!" We're now in the days of "What in the hell are those monstrous elf things, and why in the world is a dead guy on the tabl--HOLY SHIT RUN AWAY!"

The PC ui took me a little bit to get used to, but now that I've got it I actually like it to a certain extent. I find it best to leave the hotkeys for items like potions since they don't need to be assigned to a hand and you can just pop them off in the heat of the moment.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Got another bastard :) These things get me everytime I walk out of a bulding, this one by dawnstar

screenshot7z.png
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I wish there was SSAO...but everything else is awesome!
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    one of you bethesda goons mind explaining why i am downloading the game from steam at 40kbps instead of installing off the disc that i have in my pc?

who's bright fucking idea was that :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: