Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    ...Mother of god...

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there is a difference between the regular, paperback strategy guide, and the collectors, hardcover guide, apart from aesthetics?
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    This game looks WAY too linear... i might as well just get MW3.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Virtuosic wrote: »
    This game looks WAY too linear... i might as well just get MW3.

1094649-futurama_fry_looking_squint_super.jpg
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Its a staggered steam release it will release at midnight for your timezone. Im unsure if connecting to a steam server someone else will advance this though.
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    IT feels like it's going to play just like Final Fantasy 13.
  • Sean VanGorder

squint.jpg
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    ZayU7.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I'm going for the collectors edition mainly for the art book and the behind-the-scenes videos. Kinda steep in EU though 240$ (150 pounds? 150 Euros?).
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    http://kotaku.com/5858056/skyrim-will-have-infinite-randomly-generated-content-but-will-it-ever-feel-as-real-as-minecraft

Never have I raged so hard, I wanted to flip open this giant book of "the development history of elderscrolls" and wave my cane around at people, telling them to read up on facts.

But comments are mostly filled with theoretical "what ifs" on the if a future elderscrolls game was entirely made of procedural content, with article creator talking about random quests like it was some weird new thing, and most likely not even knowing that notch himself probably was and is quite inspired by the early procedural elderscrolls games.
  • neolith
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    I miss the good old times when I got a game, inserted the disc, installed and could play.
    Now I have a boxed copy of Skyrim that tells me I am not allowed to install, because the game has not yet been released.

But the map that came with the game is a nice touch. I think the last game I got that came with one was... Morrowind? I have to say though - the translations on the map are not beautiful. I have to assume the localization of the game is similar. I am definitely going to play the original version.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    neolith wrote: »
    I miss the good old times when I got a game, inserted the disc, installed and could play.
    Now I have a boxed copy of Skyrim that tells me I am not allowed to install, because the game has not yet been released.

But the map that came with the game is a nice touch. I think the last game I got that came with one was... Morrowind? I have to say though - the translations on the map are not beautiful. I have to assume the localization of the game is similar. I am definitely going to play the original version.

All R* open world games come with a map.
  • neolith
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [HP] wrote: »
    All R* open world games come with a map.
    Haven't played any of them. The only one that I was interested in was Red Dead Redemption - but there's no PC version so I didn't get a chance to play it.

Still - it's nice to see that there are still some games that come with maps. I consider it a beautiful and often useful feature.
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i recall that Witcher games came with world maps as well.
  • Zpanzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Didn't Oblivion also come with one?

Can't wait to play the game!
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Oh no Fearian, did that happen to you?!

I hate those troll meme things though, they're so weird! :D
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I honestly hope it feels open world and they dont try to weave me between mountains :S
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    YAY

It arrived :D PS3 version.

Looks like someone is on my side. I've grown a bit bored doing TF2 stuff day in and day out so this is the break I need. THANK you Play.com :D
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I've never wanted crack in my life this bad.
  • slipsius
    fearian, is that yours? or just something from the net?

How do people have it already!? its only thursday (holy F... its THURSDAY!!! where did this week go!?)
  • Kurry
    My second copy arrived today, the CE :). There is now a large dragon next to my monitor <3
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    ugh theres no way i can play this at midnight :S I hope I can get to sleep tonight
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    • Eurogamer - 10/10
    • Destructoid - 10/10
    • OXM - 10/10
    • ShopToNews - 6/6
    • Joystiq - 5/5
    • WGTC - 5/5
    • Giantbomb - 5/5
    • X360A - 99/100
    • IGN - 9.5/10
    • CVG - 9.5/10
    • Strategy Informer - 9.5/10
    • Game Informer - 9.5/10
    • PC Gamer - 94/100
    • CheatCC - 4.5/5
    • Everyeye.it - 9/10
    • TheSixthAxis - 9/10
    • Gamespot - 9/10
    • Gaming Union - 9/10
    • Edge - 9/10
    • Videogamer - 9/10

And gametrailers – 9.3
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-elder-scrolls/723801
  • MiAlx
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Ah, damn I can't wait till tomorrow evening.. :D

I also read (its been mentioned before i think) that when you meet the dark brotherhood and/or the thieves guild, you basically get a quest line and after that you get random jobs assigned to you (like kill the bartender at town X, in that and that way, or steal that from there). I totally missed that in Oblivion. Can't. Wait. :D

edit: HP you are NOT making this easier for me! :D
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    PogoP wrote: »
    Oh no Fearian, did that happen to you?!

I hate those troll meme things though, they're so weird! :D

yep, its me :( to be fair, it's just a rental copy my mate got from his work.

haha, I've been reading alot of them lately :poly142: half the faces creep me out so I drew my own :D
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I wanted to be post 1337, in this thread. ;)

Some note worthy quotes that put a smile to my face:
    Skyrim, following Fallout 3 and Oblivion, is yet another ambitious title that presents a massive and fully explorable world with only the players’ disposition to guide them through the seemingly endless number of quests and adventures. Those previous titles were strong, evocative games that still had the lingering sense of not fully realizing their ambitions. Skyrim is that realization and is the apotheosis, not only of the open-world format, but of what games can accomplish. It is perhaps the finest experience ever made available in the medium.
    It evokes a word that's overused in reviewing of all kinds: one that's best kept in the cellar in a plainly marked box and reserved only for the most special of occasions. For Skyrim though, I'd like to blow the dust off it, open up the lid, and enjoy a masterpiece with you.
    Not only is Skyrim, for my money, the game of the year, but… oh this is hard. Very hard. I’m sorry Morrowind – I love you, but I don’t need you anymore. I think, at last, there is a new Best Elder Scrolls Ever.

I, personally, have been on the project for a little over a year now. When I first came here, I was blown away. But, to see it grow into the experience it is now makes me very happy. I hope you all enjoy something that everyone here is extremely proud of.

edit:
    Oh... and this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTM6rB5zxdU&quot;]Dragonborn--Skyrim Hip Hop Remix.m4v - YouTube[/ame]
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    fearian wrote: »
    yep, its me :( to be fair, it's just a rental copy my mate got from his work.

haha, I've been reading alot of them lately :poly142: half the faces creep me out so I drew my own :D

That's what you get for renting games :) Haha, that sucks!
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Just bought it on steam, can't wait until it's released 9 hours left :D

fearian: They are trolling you, probably laughing there ass of right now :P
  • doc rob
  • bbob
    lol ian, that must've sucked XD
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    I might as well just play Minecraft, i mean.... minecraft has the same combat as skyrim. Run up to an enemy, attack, back away from enemy, repeat.

Minecraft's world is much bigger, and IMO, the graphics are much nicer.
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    doc rob wrote: »

Ok, maybe don't watch right now. He sure likes walking in a circle and returning to Helgen (the starting town). He's been there 4 times now and every time he's like "oh, what's this place?"
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I might as well just play Minecraft, i mean.... minecraft has the same combat as skyrim. Run up to an enemy, attack, back away from enemy, repeat.

Minecraft's world is much bigger, and IMO, the graphics are much nicer.

:)
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Does any one knows if the PC gets better textures than the consoles? Because from the videos I've seen everywhere it's super dupper lowres everywhere.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    doc rob wrote: »
    Ok, maybe don't watch right now. He sure likes walking in a circle and returning to Helgen (the starting town). He's been there 4 times now and every time he's like "oh, what's this place?"

Yeah, it drove me mad... the guy has no sense of... nothing, lol.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ParoXum wrote: »
    Does any one knows if the PC gets better textures than the consoles? Because from the videos I've seen everywhere it's super dupper lowres everywhere.

There seems to be some issues with the texture streaming on consoles, or atleast the 360 version.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    From the destructoid review.. its explained perfectly in the first paragraph! lol.
    Preparing for a new Elder Scrolls game is like preparing to die. One must ensure they get all their worldly affairs in order, speak with the people who mean everything to them, and have a final meal. After all, once that disc goes in, the user may as well have departed from our mortal world.
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a game that will murder you, for the time it steals from your life could rightfully be considered criminal. It is a game that will literally never end while simultaneously bringing you closer to your own end.
    This is all before the dragons show up.

ive been killing myself watching videos, listening to the soundtrack, looking at screens and just sitting around waiting for this release! im taking a half day at work tomorrow and next week off. :) (not completely for skyrim but ill definitely get a good amount of time in).

the only negative.. and its a positive negative, is that ill be playing the SW:TOR weekend tomorrow through sunday.. so i have to balance time between that and skyrim.. in general its gonna be a fun weekend. haha.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    My fucking god, GameTrailers gave the game a 9.3 and the fucking fans are filled with people pissing their assholes with rage that it wasn't rated high enough. I swear to god, the comments sections of gaming sites are Dens of Snakes and Vipers. So unappreciative and whiny. Little shits complaining about how MW3 was rated too high or too low or Skyrim wasn't rated high enough. Everyone is an asshole.
  • slipsius
    that destructoid article just made me cream...

Hey, is there a level cap in this game? I know "levels" are for each individual skill. not an over all character level like most games. but, is there a cap? and if so. any idea how long it takes to cap?
  • Sean VanGorder
    slipsius wrote: »
    Hey, is there a level cap in this game? I know "levels" are for each individual skill. not an over all character level like most games. but, is there a cap? and if so. any idea how long it takes to cap?

Howard then went on to say that "You level faster in the beginning and then it slows down." While the level cap is 50, Howard continued on by saying that the game's "mathematical" level cap --or hard cap-- is "probably somewhere in the 70s."

Looks like I have a lot of leveling to do.
  • slipsius
    wait, so there are character levels as well as leveling your individual skills? man, im confused. lol

and what? lvl cap is 50? but its actually 70? uhhh?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Yeah, you can level up both individual skills and your character as a whole. I'm not really certain what the 50 and 70 thing is about though, haha.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ErichWK wrote: »
    My fucking god, GameTrailers gave the game a 9.3 and the fucking fans are filled with people pissing their assholes with rage that it wasn't rated high enough. I swear to god, the comments sections of gaming sites are Dens of Snakes and Vipers. So unappreciative and whiny. Little shits complaining about how MW3 was rated too high or too low or Skyrim wasn't rated high enough. Everyone is an asshole.

The Gametrailers comments can be quite a shithole

I do wish the many reviews would take up the random elements of skyrim though, gametrailers had no mention of it at all, which could potentially be a good thing, if they didn't notice it at all :P
  • Adam L. Gray
    wait, so there are character levels as well as leveling your individual skills? man, im confused. lol

Yep, like in oblivion and morrowind I guess. Acrobatics, lockpicking, spell schools etc.

Level cap is 50, though more experience is required to level as you progress. So in order to reach lvl 50, you need to gather roughly the amount of experience for lvl 70, had each level required the same amount of xp.

I think!
  • slipsius
    hmmm... alrighty.

so. just to be clear. there is a character level cap, then the side stuff, like acrobatics and lock picking and 1h swords and stuff liek that? i didnt play oblivion or morrow wind. just dagger fall. so im a little behind on the times. i remember levelling all my skill slike running and jumping and stuff, but i dont remember character levels
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Each skill point increase gets you closer to gaining a level. Each level gained lets you unlock one new perk. As you level up, it takes more skill points to unlock a level.

You can play well beyond 50, and keep leveling up and unlocking perks, but at that lofty height, you might actually have more fun rolling a new character build and doing different stuff in the game.
  • slipsius
    oooo thats a cool setup. thanks doc.

ugh. 27 hours till i can play!
  • Sean VanGorder
    slipsius wrote: »
    hmmm... alrighty.

so. just to be clear. there is a character level cap, then the side stuff, like acrobatics and lock picking and 1h swords and stuff liek that? i didnt play oblivion or morrow wind. just dagger fall. so im a little behind on the times. i remember levelling all my skill slike running and jumping and stuff, but i dont remember character levels

Yup, pretty much. You level up your individual skills by using them a lot, such as blade weapons, lockpicking, sneak, and stuff like that. By doing that, you gain experience towards your character level. When your character levels up, you gain a minor boost across all your skills, and you can pick 3 skills to give a major boost too. And the level of your character is what determined the level of the enemies in the world. Of course, that's how it was in Oblivion. I know the whole system has been tweaked for Skyrim.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, pretty much. You level up your individual skills by using them a lot, such as blade weapons, lockpicking, sneak, and stuff like that. By doing that, you gain experience towards your character level. When your character levels up, you gain a minor boost across all your skills, and you can pick 3 skills to give a major boost too. And the level of your character is what determined the level of the enemies in the world. Of course, that's how it was in Oblivion. I know the whole system has been tweaked for Skyrim.

It worked in morrowind as it wasn't as heavily monster leveled, levels were just a number, but you gained stats from them 1-5 depending on what kind of skills you had used to level up.

So you could essentially get really shitty attributes at level up for playing casually.

And then came oblivion where you could intentionally put skills you wouldn't use as primary, and you would never level up but become super powerful, with monsters in the game staying at the same level as you, even if you had maxed out skills.

So yeah, broken :P
  • Sean VanGorder
    Broken for sure. That was really my only big problem with Oblivion. From what I've read though, they've done their best to fix that issue with Skyrim.