Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    Pixel, you are a pretty cool guy. Keep em coming. I'd love to see more in this style. Perhaps a baby frankenstein etc. Dig the colors and overall texture/lighting.I'm your fan now.

Cheers, and i'm a big fan of yours too - v. disappointed when you never joined us up at crytek nottingham, but hope things are going well at rocksteady!
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ So retro, yet it gave me a Prof. Clayton-ish feel, even though I've not played that game.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scotthomer wrote: »
    @Pixel Hurder, that looks amazing. Love it!

Some more progress on the G36c im working on.
    g36c.jpg

Scott: a few things you need to work on.
    A. Super small details, you have them on the pistol grip, and the flashlight, these are way too small to show up in your bake. Generally, you need to be mindful of how much texture resolution you have, you only have so many pixels to define your shapes.
    B. Your edges are too hard in general, again not optimal for bakes, zoom out! Don't spend your entire time zoomed in much closer than anyone would ever view the asset.
    C. Intersections, right now you have a lot of primitave shapes that simply intersect in a pretty messy fashion, many of these areas are actually solid chunks of polymer, so don't just use basic clipping, merge it together, or use some floating geometry to fake the soft edge on the intersection.

Its understandable if you dont want to merge stuff together too much, or if you'de rather wait until its almost finished to do so, but some stuff really should be solidly modeled.

Here is a quick tip for easy "fake" intersections. Notice there isn't the ugly aliasing when doing it this way, and it looks like one solid chunk without actually being solid.
    fakeintersection.jpg
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha, small world! you again :) enjoyed meeting you on wed at uni for the "talk" i gave, see you soon at crytek (and on here too!)
    Ahh i didnt put 2 and 2 together! it is a small world, Thanks for coming in, it was great to meet you too and the talk was definitely one of coolest yet, something tells me you could've spent about 3 hours answering UDK vs Cryengine based questions. I think you've sold 30 more copies of crysis 2 at least, so that was a win.

Looking forward to seeing you in May!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    *Layton, not Clayton.

Also - the proportions are quite off, here's some ref:
    layton1279116654.jpglayton_low.pnglayton_tex.png
    By MadPxl
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry for big picture

simon-aublet-make-me-a-crate-mapping-area-contest.jpg
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh cheers for that, very very useful crits, the grip especially needs work. (The actual thing in real life is pretty boring, its literally just a smooth grip, so I was playing about to make it alittle more interesting. Definitely need to change that though.

Now you mention it I can see so much damn intersection. Ill post up some progress once ive sorted that out. I usually keep the areas modelling as chunks that exist as solid chunks in real life, however seeing as this is the high poly, I usually model the low poly much more attached. You're right however, it needs moulding together in places. Cheers for that Earthquake.
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Scott: a few things you need to work on.
    A. Super small details, you have them on the pistol grip, and the flashlight, these are way too small to show up in your bake. Generally, you need to be mindful of how much texture resolution you have, you only have so many pixels to define your shapes.
    B. Your edges are too hard in general, again not optimal for bakes, zoom out! Don't spend your entire time zoomed in much closer than anyone would ever view the asset.
    C. Intersections, right now you have a lot of primitave shapes that simply intersect in a pretty messy fashion, many of these areas are actually solid chunks of polymer, so don't just use basic clipping, merge it together, or use some floating geometry to fake the soft edge on the intersection.

Its understandable if you dont want to merge stuff together too much, or if you'de rather wait until its almost finished to do so, but some stuff really should be solidly modeled.

Here is a quick tip for easy "fake" intersections. Notice there isn't the ugly aliasing when doing it this way, and it looks like one solid chunk without actually being solid.
    fakeintersection.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh also, the shape of the buttstock is way off.
    Bigblock-A.jpg
    stock06.jpg

Pay closer attention to your ref. =D
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Awesome
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- you're kidding right? That lowpoly is such a huge waste of all the sculpting, and it doesn't make sense to use 1024² on a simple box like that either...
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    -Em'- something not reading well on the normal map, isn't the green channel inverted?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    for maaa game

there will be 4 level for each weapon. You get to a new level if you find the next, more powerful weapon/upgrade.

The shader is using a diffuse 512 for all 4 and a 512 spec
    model uses smoothing groups to get the right shiny shiny effect

4_swords.jpg
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    bug_ship_by_crylar-d3bzulk.png
    Practicing rigging, and animating my ship

[EDIT]
    BAAAARHG!!! Can't find how to render a quick .mov from Mayas viewport >.<*
    Would be perfect for small vids to put on youtube and 'n shit, damn it xP

Anyonw know how?
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    rollin wrote: »
    for maaa game

there will be 4 level for each weapon. You get to a new level if you find the next, more powerful weapon/upgrade.

The shader is using a diffuse 512 for all 4 and a 512 spec
    model uses smoothing groups to get the right shiny shiny effect

4_swords.jpg

This is awesome! and I checked out your game too there is some really pretty stuff there man! Are you working alone or with people?
  • Creamy_Goodness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creamy_Goodness polycounter lvl 18
    Ooh, wow, those look nice!

jungle_project_concept_by_amanitazest-d3bmk76.png

Concept art for a 3D animation class project. Hoping I can make an environment that looks close enough to this.

> Neat, reminds me of Pikmin a little.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Crylar wrote: »
    bug_ship_by_crylar-d3bzulk.png
    Practicing rigging, and animating my ship

[EDIT]
    BAAAARHG!!! Can't find how to render a quick .mov from Mayas viewport >.<*
    Would be perfect for small vids to put on youtube and 'n shit, damn it xP

Anyonw know how?

It's called playblast my friend. It's takes screen shots of all you frames and puts them together. Simple as that.
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_CWtUH5mmY[/ame]
    Pracicing rigging and animation on my bug ship :)
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Working under CG-Hub for dominance war, i did knick a PC'ers idea on the logo though ;D

Ceros.jpg

mainly doing this for shits and giggles so ;D
  • StevenEgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenEgan polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the comments and feedback everyone! Much appreciated!
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    This is amazing!
    Just had to pop out of my toll hole to say I love it.

I'm wondering about that thing popping out of his neck that looks like the clavicle.
    Is it maybe the omohyoid muscle?
    it doesnt quite like its going towards the right medial anchor point to be the clavicle.
    Figuring out how to put a bulls head on human shoulders and make it look as believable as it does must have been a bitch, and those little inconsistencies are made all the more glaring when its in this surreal style
    just my three pesos.

Yes, this is a feature carried over from the concept, but it isn't entirely random. As a bull's head is generally heavier and protrudes out further from the body, you can't rely on the trapezius and sternocleidomastoid to do all the 'visual' supporting. Cows have a broad sheath of muscle which runs from the bottom of the head down to the shoulders. So that's what I'm going to say it is, although it was just a feature of the concept I liked :)

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a play with a dew things.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Uly - Not sure which "corner trim you were talking about. You mean specifically the corner piece at the top? Or some other corner? :/ Sorry man.

Well I worked on lighting and such. It is hard to get marmosets lights to falloff without leaving a noticeable circle of light. And my other complaint is omnis not being able to cast shadows. :/ Kinda a pain in the ass. So I am using 2 lights... A spotlight with the cone at around 160 (because that is when shadows disappear) and then I am using an omni light to fill what the spotlight is not catching. So it was getting a bit light heavy to get the shadows casting from the torches on the wall...

Let me know what you guys think.

post_39_large.jpg
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    HP mostly done. just a few more details left! c&c always welcome.
    fountain3_render2-1.jpg
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Thought I'd try something low poly. My mind was blank so I put a face on my DS

LP-DS.jpg
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Screwonhed wrote: »
    HP mostly done. just a few more details left! c&c always welcome.

Have you got any reference? All I would say is that your detail modelling seems to lack the right sort of scale. Looks like there's some decent modelling there, just probably needs to be smaller and have a more "detailed" feel.
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Lots of awesome stuff in here :)

A little scribble I've been piecing together, started out something completely different and now I am just laying everything out...such a mess :/

deathhelmwip2.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    jeremiah, that's looking goood.
    Rayph, friggin awesome.

I'm making an elf girl, concepting up some armor:
    elf_05.jpg
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    ironbearxl wrote: »
    jeremiah, that's looking goood.
    Rayph, friggin awesome.

I'm making an elf girl, concepting up some armor:
    elf_05.jpg

Going for the Final Fantasy style armour I see...Toss that into FFX IV as a mod and you're golden.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Remember, the less armor there is, the better the armor class is ;)
  • ChrisWright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First post! Hello Everybody.
    I've been looking in here and then but never had anything to contribute.
    Here is a my first character 3d sculpt. Tons of poly's but I really don't know what I'm doing yet.

chicken-lady20112.jpg

Cheers!
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Need some more details, but I'm happy so far.

778955.jpeg
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    An sketch for a prop for my level. Done in Photoshop. Not the best thing ever, but enough to get an idea of what I wanted to make in 3D (the scale is a bit off, forgot to fix it, sorry).

KxFHs.png

And the current state of the 3D model:

TMZO2.png

It's still missing the handles and a lot of normal details here and there, but the basic shape is pretty much done and the very basic normal bake for the rounder corners too.
    After that I will start working on the diffuse and specular maps, then get it into UDK :). I would love to make it roll around when you hit it, but alas.. I have no much clue about how to do that, other than knowing I need to make it a dynamic object. But don't know how to make pretty much the rest..
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    17buzz.jpg

this is my latest sculpture, she's the trolley troll lady. I see this lady everyday on the bus to work and decided to model her for funzies. I plan to texture her using the mari free trial :P also for funzies
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    turntable2.gif

Working on a wooden toy -like thing, inspired by Nakagawa Takeji.

And no, those dark grey parts are not going to be in the final. They're merely placeholders for the actual parts.
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    lowpolyk.jpg

Ohman did I overdo it? it's a first person mesh btw.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall wrote: »
    Ohman did I overdo it? it's a first person mesh btw.

A first person mesh? Is it a big ogre that's gonna use it as a mele weapon or what?

I think 6k is a bit over the top. You got allot of details that's super dense. Try to keep it more evenly detailed through out the model.
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    A first person mesh? Is it a big ogre that's gonna use it as a mele weapon or what?

I think 6k is a bit over the top. You got allot of details that's super dense. Try to keep it more evenly detailed through out the model.

Noh, its for a battlefield kinda game but yeh, I got scared by the count myself as well :p

I guess the wheels and the cylinder parts need to have some reducing?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monolith polycounter lvl 18
    Lots of interesting things have been posted sice the last time I paid this Thread a Visit, always a joy to return ^__^

Here's my personal contribution to it, a Weekly Update on my Cain W.I.P.:
    robocop2_cain_2k11_12_by_war_of_art-d3c3c0a.png
    robocop2_cain_2k11_13_by_war_of_art-d3c3fy6.png
    Really love that particular Render with the new Pose :3
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Hi all !

Current character's Wip

Maskemane, character designed by Ankama

Ref :

771.jpg

Wip_Maskemane01.jpg
  • Romediggity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowLevelCompolationBLOGPOST.jpg Hey everyone! I've been working on a final level for my demo reel. Here is a comp of my major assets in the scene and what the level currently looks like :)
  • StevenEgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenEgan polycounter lvl 9
    So much win, Monolith!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Some caricatures I'm doing for my Brawl entry.
    Fernandez_11.jpg

PS: Sorry for spam, but I like to post my caricatures on this thread.
  • Veko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loving the chuck norris :D
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    jramauri: that norris is hilarious man, theyre all really awesome.

monolith: fucking shit up much?

alright so here's a high poly I just finished (almost), and I then im gonna istance around blah blah, but it was really hard to do and I learned tons about really studying ref and how splines are fucking life savers :)

fencehighpolyrender.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • joevansickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joevansickle polycounter lvl 9
    Behold!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8ARwV5Tz8[/ame]
    You can "play" it too; by visiting this link.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    @ocarion- love that style and proportions!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those rings are far too large.
    WE-Chain%20Mail%20Shirt%20&%20Coif.jpg
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
    Monolith - This is awesome
    ocarian - Great stuff looking forward to more!
    jramauri - Love them all :P

Question for you if you have the time. Polycount for this guys should it be lower or you think am on the mark? Also join deformation loops any tips would be great :P

Cheers!

tricount.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    SaferDan wrote: »
    This is awesome! and I checked out your game too there is some really pretty stuff there man! Are you working alone or with people?

Alone, for the moment. This is more of a side project
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    girl_WIP.jpg

Diffuse unfinished and no spec yet. But this is my first model I successfully got into marmoset so I'm proud :D
This discussion has been closed.