Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• AGuyCalledSpyke
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    I should actually make a hat... anyway, who was it that made the Headsplitter? Because I just unboxed it! :D
    http://imgur.com/BaXU1
    Also, 2 weeks hols next week... should I try and make a hat or weapon?
  • BanthaFodder
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good Yamo, will be interesting to know if they accept re skins.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Want to add something to the whole teabagged experience

bagged.jpg

Not sure how I am going to get this to work, but i'll cross that road when I get there. unwrapping is next
  • Yamo
    Have it replace the smiley-face paper on the demoman
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    ahh exelent idea!
  • KevinLongtime
    Yamo wrote: »
    Concept for my next item

zorroconcept.jpg

Not sure how I would do the mask, I guess a misc item combined with a reskin. Would be cool if I could have the mask keep as much of the face deformations as possible

Noooo! I've been working on this for a while now - just never posted anything about it yet :O
  • Yamo
    Haha by all means keep working on it, if the minigun I just finished is any indicator, it'll take me a month to finish the single hat
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Speculation time!

I recently got an email from Valve (as did a bunch of other people) asking for bank information and such so they can pay contributors for stuff they're putting in the Mann Co. store. I figured they were just going to be adding some stuff like the Pain Train to the store.

Then I got another email today asking for the same info. This email exchange occurred:
    hDiyB.png

So. This means that more community items are bound for the store, and not just ones that already existed in the game. As for which items Robin's referring to, it could be any of these:

6y9UH.png
  • Yamo
    God I hope its the meat and tongs
  • KevinLongtime
    Haha by all means keep working on it, if the minigun I just finished is any indicator, it'll take me a month to finish the single hat

Lol thanks!! :) Yeah im the same way ill keep hammering at it until it feels right which is what is taking me so long on this in peticular hat and mask. To be honest im suprised I havent seen anyone else attempt this one for the spy yet considering his knife taunt which is what suprised me to see your post which is the only other person ive personally seen start on it! Really nice concept art though, looks really well done. Not to mention the minigun - wow!! I feel sort of bad haulting your awsome start on it though - seems you would have probably pulled it off better than I but I guess ill see how mine turns out once I figure it out fully. I've been trying hard to get it to work right lol.
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    ugh ive started and done so many things but i cant even run tf2 anymore or compile from maya for that matter. Would someone mind doing a fairly detailed compile and getting in game video from max for someone who does not use max (i.e me)
  • KevinLongtime
    ugh ive started and done so many things but i cant even run tf2 anymore or compile from maya for that matter. Would someone mind doing a fairly detailed compile and getting in game video from max for someone who does not use max (i.e me)

Hey man I know your pain but I ended up using milkshape for my exporting of maya created stuff and has worked great. But if you are wanting to just use maya instead of switching to a different program here is a detailed write up assuming you are one of the many people who uses maya 2011 and cant get it to work properly for exporting smds:
    http://www.northcapestudios.com/blog/

(just scroll down a tad)
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man I know your pain but I ended up using milkshape for my exporting of maya created stuff and has worked great. But if you are wanting to just use maya instead of switching to a different program here is a detailed write up assuming you are one of the people who uses maya 2011 and cant get it to work properly for exporting smds:
    http://www.northcapestudios.com/blog/

(just scroll down a tad)

will try this out asap, ive tried countless tutorials from maya to source but in a glance this seems to be in better shape then most others
  • SaltyMcShivers
    Updated My Teleporter:

QuickBuildTeleNormal.png?t=1292485462

Packed Up:

QuickBuildTelePackedUp.png?t=1292485467

Triangle Count: 2948
    Pretty Happy with this, may move on to unwrapping or continue modeling my shotgun.

C+C encouraged.

EDIT: Congrats again Swizzle. I suspect we'll find out which item(s) are in game on the 20th, when there will be high traffic on Steam. Also guessing that in the same update, the new game mode will be revealed with the unannounced 6th Polycount Contest winner. I heard it was the Medic getting the new Polycount Pack, so maybe yours got in.
  • Larate
    Looks like the Medic Pack + some random things from other people.
  • Randdalf
    Heh Swizzle, I submitted a hat almost identical to your Napoleon hat

submission_preview.png

Probably not as good though. Congrats in getting in!
  • ComfyCushion
    I submitted a bicorne, as well.

BourgeoisBicorneThumb.jpg
  • Randdalf
  • Ruskeydoo
    Noors wrote: »
    aaww Ruskeydoo, your the guy on steam forums, you crits whore :)

Your chainsaw made me think "I haven't checked out the polyforums in ages, I totally should"

I'm glad I did, some amazing stuff going on :)
  • Arcaltarion
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Speculation time!

I recently got an email from Valve (as did a bunch of other people) asking for bank information and such so they can pay contributors for stuff they're putting in the Mann Co. store. I figured they were just going to be adding some stuff like the Pain Train to the store.

Then I got another email today asking for the same info.

So. This means that more community items are bound for the store, and not just ones that already existed in the game.

I though Valve didn't say a word to that people until the items were already in the game. So, we would know the possible new items if we just track and stalk the pople that received those E-mails
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    lol was thinking about zorro hat/mask for the spy aswell :q
    congrats swizzle. The tax ID seems a bit shity to get :s
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    The tax ID seems a bit shity to get :s
    I'm still trying to get one too :/
  • Yamo
    What problem are you guys having? Isn't your tax ID just your social security #?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    What problem are you guys having? Isn't your tax ID just your social security #?

They live in France and Belgium though. I'm not sure if they use the same system.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    ^ this
    we have to send a form to US irs to get a taxpayer ID, which apparently takes 2 months. I think valve is beeing a bit lazy here, coz most european countries have an agreement with USA so we don't have to pay US taxes + our own country taxes.
    And it's already painful to fill forms in my own language :|
    Well i won't complain too much, i'm happy to have this opportunity, but...administration...
    Gerre, which side of Belgium ? The good one ? :p
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    Swizzle if there is a 100% chance one of those will get in-game I will put money in my Steam Wallet right now.
  • Yamo
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    They live in France and Belgium though. I'm not sure if they use the same system.

Oh I'm an idiot, I didn't even consider that. I guess it speaks to how well you guys use English though :)
  • larolaro
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    I had a right hassle sorting out my US Tax ID, being from the UK i had to set one up before i could receive any money from valve.

Here is a huge suggestion to you folk who are setting up your tax ID for Jane lo.

Jane asks for either an ITIN or an EIN for the W-8BEN Tax form:

ITIN - Can take up to 6 months to get one, requires an appropriate ID that has to be verified by a solicitor which costs money.

EIN - 20 minutes over the phone, basically an US correspondent just fills out the SS-4 form over the phone with you. They ask you the questions, you answer, they write it down on the form and then give you the EIN immediately.

However, to be eligible for the much simpler EIN, you have to be a sole proprietor (Self Employed)

SO, i would definitely suggest getting an EIN like me, if you can that is.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    oh thank you, i doubt i will understand a fuck with a yankee over the phone, but i might ask about the EIN at the irs office at the usa ambassade here.
    Ah nevermind, i'm not self employed :(
  • Arcaltarion
    oh thank you, i doubt i will understand a fuck with a yankee over the phone, but i might ask about the EIN at the irs office at the usa ambassade here.
    Ah nevermind, i'm not self employed :(
    are you asking because one of your items is going to be added? what would be?
  • Yamo
    The teleporter is looking good Salty, I think the hinges you have now work

Can we see the other stuff in your pack?
  • Dr.cube
    Glad to see Valve is gonna be releasing more user made content.

Finally unwrapped and started texturing the guitar. I decide to use the small/short gas tank just because it seems to look less front heavy then the other shapes.

preview2t.jpg

Any suggestions for improvements?
  • Arcaltarion
    do the stock animations work with this design? or are you going to make custom ones?
  • Dr.cube
    I plan to do custom ones and use the tf2 theme looped as the firing sound.

Something like this:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD_kLhKu7do[/ame]
    obviously not the whole thing but a part of it to loop.
  • Cronotic
    and the hello kitty strap is included?. BTW, the gutar looks awesome and maybe you should use the axe taunt for it instead of the flamethrower taunt :). Also, to make the looks better, add some painted flames :D, just an idea.
  • misterdevious
    The 2nd weapon in my Tank Division pack, THE POW!TZER. Combining POW! and a Soviet multi-baffle Howitzer using the power of rubber bands.
    powitzerview.jpg
    polypowpose2.jpg
    polypowhlmv.jpg
    The barrel and recuperator slide during firing (in 1st person) and shells eject from the rear.

This was the first weapon I started working on:
    • It isn't very symmetrical, so most parts have both sides painted separately.
    • Because of the moving parts, it also has painted interior surfaces.
    • The UV map is full of tiny hard to paint islands.
    • It uses a 512x512 texture.
    • The whole thing is rather low-resolution. It is too low-resolution to add sharp little paint chips/exposed metal, and the edge-wear is rather broad.
    If you were me, how would you improve this to get it acceptable?
  • BanthaFodder
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Speculation time!

Then I got another email today asking for the same info. This email exchange occurred:
    hDiyB.png

So. This means that more community items are bound for the store, and not just ones that already existed in the game. As for which items Robin's referring to, it could be any of these:

6y9UH.png
    if i had to guess, i'd say either the nade launcher or the medic schtuff...
    they didnt release a new nade launcher with the WAR! update and the medic was the first class to get an update. i had an idea that theyd just do the whole thing over again (least played class=next update). OR COULD ONE OF THE PACKS BE THE FABLED SUPRISE POLYCOUNT PACK?!?!
    *sits down in thinking chair*
    but what does a MEDIC, or a DEMO have to do with a new GAME MODE?
  • Arcaltarion
    an object the enemies have to break and medics can heal ¿_?
  • KevinLongtime
    Maybe this is old news but for whichever reason I cant decompile any weapons? Every time I try it says it cant load model even when I change the 0 to a , in the MDL. I also find it sort of weird that the weapon models are located in teamfortress 2 materials rather than team fortress 2 content for me. Hat and props work perfectly but the weapons are what just dont want to work for me - Any quick help? Maybe Im missing the weapons in the content folder somehow?
  • Arcaltarion
    they moved the weapon models in the scream fortress update, it's normal they are there. about the failure, this web may be helpfull
    http://www.kathar.net/hl2modding/errors.php
  • Dr.cube
    @Cronotic

No, sorry I don't plan on doing any straps for it. Seems like too much of a pain to animate. I plan on doing a kill animation for the taunt so I dont think the axe taunt animation would work.

The Pyro is gonna jump into the air and strum his guitar really hard causing flames too shoot around him and setting everyone on fire.( valve would need to code the aoe effect cause I have no idea I would do that lol)

@misterdevious

Don't worry you're not the only one having problems with the 512x512 limit. The gun looks very unique. I'd suggest you use more color variation, it looks too green right now like have the cylinder bits on the side and the trigger be gray. Also,have all the green bits have variation in tone dont make it too noticeable but enough to make each part stand out more as and individual piece.
  • Mnemosynaut
    Here's a taser I made last week for the Soldier/Demoman.

stun4.png

I'm also reworking an old soda bottle model I made. Comes in three flavors: Proto-Orange, Emission of Lemon and Radioactive Half-Lime.

cola7.png

If you were me, how would you improve this to get it acceptable?

My only major gripe with this and the minigun replacement you made is that the texture seems really washed out. You should really up the contrast or the saturation uniformly on the whole thing.

You could also add some more diversity to the color scheme. For instance, the handle could be brown, the trigger could be grey, those pipes near the back could be black to match the ones up front, the inner surface of those cogs could be a different color, etc. It's hard to see minor details from a distance when they all blend together. Even if you just made all the parts slightly different shades of green, it would look much better.

Edit: Basically, what cube said.
  • RedSheep
    @ mnemosynaut
    I like the brand name on the taser, quite clever. I think that you should lengthen the top two prongs just a tad because they seem somewhat stubby right now. I am liking the Bonk Classic so far, but it could use a nice background design like some curvy lines (maybe in the shape of a splash) with some accompanying gradients.
  • crazy-g
    EVIL wrote: »
    Want to add something to the whole teabagged experience

bagged.jpg

Not sure how I am going to get this to work, but i'll cross that road when I get there. unwrapping is next
    Have it replace the smiley-face paper on the demoman

I would like to know if you can accomplish this without having to recompile the entire demoman model. I started to make some holiday jingle-sticky-balls as a replacement, but when i went to test, i couldn't just replace the paper which is a submodel. I tried skinning to bip_crotchflap_0 but it clips and is always visible.

Anyway i scrapped that and did some other winter hats for fun

Stocking Stuffer:
    scoutstocking.jpg

string of colored lights:
    engielights.jpg

Lil' Melty:
    pyrosnowman.jpg
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    I love that engie hat! It's one of the best Christmas hats I've seen.
  • PolyCracker
    Hey guys, I was inspired by the Halloween multi-class pumpkin heads....I did a quick sketch on a napkin and made it 3d, something christmas-y and fun....It's Rudolf's head *think mascot style costume*...I keep thinking it looks like a "deer in the headlights" kinda deal! lol

I was gonna have one of his eyeballs hanging off the horns as a xmas tree novelty (maybe for the demo, with an X where the left eye was?)

- 1806 tris

sshot01.png

any tuts for the following?

- Jiggle for pingpong-like eyeballs

- Jiggle for the strap

Thanks.
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Gerre, which side of Belgium ? The good one ? :p
    You being from France, I guess the bad one :D
    larolaro wrote: »
    I had a right hassle sorting out my US Tax ID, being from the UK i had to set one up before i could receive any money from valve.

Here is a huge suggestion to you folk who are setting up your tax ID for Jane lo.

Jane asks for either an ITIN or an EIN for the W-8BEN Tax form:

ITIN - Can take up to 6 months to get one, requires an appropriate ID that has to be verified by a solicitor which costs money.

EIN - 20 minutes over the phone, basically an US correspondent just fills out the SS-4 form over the phone with you. They ask you the questions, you answer, they write it down on the form and then give you the EIN immediately.

However, to be eligible for the much simpler EIN, you have to be a sole proprietor (Self Employed)

SO, i would definitely suggest getting an EIN like me, if you can that is.
    I'm still a student, so I think I don't qualify for an EIN. I've been trying to contact the Belgian acceptance agent though, but they haven't answered any of my emails or calls yet :(
    If that doesn't work I'll have to send the form by mail I'm afraid *shrug*
  • SaltyMcShivers
    PolyCracker: I audibly laughed when I scrolled down and saw that hat. Good job.

As for the Jiggling for the eyes, I believe that there was someone here earlier that gave the Pyro giant Googly Eyes. You may want to ask him what he ended up doing, since you guys would probably end up doing something similar.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    an object the enemies have to break and medics can heal ¿_?
    I just wish it's the hunted.