Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahem.
    Mad Mike wrote: »
    Right, I got my cart unwrapped but for some reason when baking AO with Render to Texture Edge Padding won't work. Also regardless of what element I choose (CompleteMap, AO) it uses the material currently assigned to the model. It also doesn't use the background color from the baking dialog but the environment color. Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem? I also tried baking with TexTools but it fails to save the output. It bakes the whole thing (I think so as it takes some time) and then says it failed to create bitmap. I'd really appreciate some help, I didn't go this far to drop it when it's almost finished.

Little help?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Apply a white material to the model before baking AO. Press 8 to bring up the background menu and change it to white. Things should work then.
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Essentially the problem is with the edge padding, it doesn't work. It feels to me like the whole render to texture dialog doesn't work, so I also wrote other symptoms.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Render to texture is what I've always used for AO. If it's not turning out then you're doing something wrong. Can you go through a basic list of steps you did to bake the AO? I'm not sure if the edge padding works since I've never used it but I'd assume it does.
  • Communist Cake
    Shadowplay wrote: »
    Ok did someone else post a plague doctor mask besides me? If not then they just took mine , cut the hat and lower jaw off and renamed it =(

i sent them mine about a month and a half ago

2090521420103400502S500x500Q85.jpg

I'm sorry, I didn't even know about that. I didn't try to steal your work, I promise. :(
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    I agree with Cronotic, piercings would be just a bit overkill if you ask me.

Once again, i've put my projects on hold to work on another one. This time is a wrench, only this time I'm hoping to make something of it.

wip_render.jpg

ingame_wip.jpg

If theres' anything wrong with it, or any improvements modelwise, let me know. Texturewise, its just a projection map over a slight gradient ATM. It just thought it would look nicer than the checkerboard. There are some noticable clipping errors, espiacially on the 1st person view.

Looking good man, model looks good. iv been trying this whole weekend to get my wrench replacement in-game, i hate compiling into source with a passion. Which model did you replace for yours? Everytime i try to decompile any of the wrench models(C,V,W) MDLDecompiler just crashs. This prob isn't the best place to ask compiling questions, but every thread i find anywhere else is from like 2008. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be amazing.

Compile_error.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Make sure you have the appropriate folders set up. GUIStudioMDL throws that error when you don't have the folder it's supposed to be pointing to. In your case, you should have a folder in your models directory called weapons, then further nested folders called c_models and c_wrench.

Also make sure that you're using the correct bone for your item. bip_head is the head bone of the character rig and weapons are usually parented to weapon_bone or some variant thereof.
  • Blasphemy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been considering going back and re-starting my model.

koth_nucleus0009.jpg
    koth_nucleus0010.jpg
    koth_nucleus0011.jpg

Do you guys think it would be worth it? Would it be declined as I already submitted a previous one of the same kind a month or two ago?

The reason is, the smoothing groups aren't up to the grade of absolute perfection (in my opinion) and I am completely certain I could re-do the model and make the face space more optimized for UV face layout, thus making the quality of the texture better. I could also make sure that the heavy holds it perfectly this time around.

Thoughts?
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    What if the iron mask BECAME a Misc item? that way, you wouldn't need to worry about the beard... although some of the hats might clip
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Congratulations to those that got their stuff in. Well done.
  • Jman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can resubmit updates of your model, I've emailed Robin on this matter before, though in my case they missed the new version of my model when they implemented it (though they are updating it with the new model/texture).
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jman, congratulations. Now I can build a level 3 sentry in less than a minute :D

Hail the Jag :3
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But is that what it would look like in tf2, @Jman? Although, I suppose the phong is pretty high on those grenades.

Okay, lots of texturing progress on the Auld Alba Aegis. What do you think: Blood or no blood?

AuldAlbaAegis2.png

I like your shield dud. I dont know if you know, but im also making a shield for demo. Just a question, from where do you get the textures from ? Do you all make them your self ?

P.S. Dont be very competitive and tell me, dont ignore me.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    @sharkisss: You have to make the textures yourself, always. unless you have a friend that can do it for you.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    He means the DeGroot emblem.

It can be seen on this comic, but I'm afraid you're going to have to remake it yourself, unless ComfyCushion is willing to share his version of it with you.
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I made the whole thing myself. Put the emblem together in an open-source vector program called Inkscape, then painted the rest of the texture in behind it in Paint Tool SAI. I also model with Blender, so that should indicate how poor and/or cheap I am. Nothing but free programs for this guy.
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellow,

I think I am going to try out some stuff as well now. Basicly I'm focusing on the Engineer once again :3. I wanne give him some stuff, that looks more tinker like that actually modern/common. For e.g. some of the stuff may be also an idea to make the engineer more usefull for the medival mode or whatever. Here are my basic ideas:

1. A Blacksmith/Tinker Hammer as Melee Weapon
    2. A Cardbox/Portable Mini File Cabinet as Alternative for the PDA Builder (The Constructionremote)
    3. A Slingshot Pistol made out wood and elastic straps or something
    4. A Lvl 1 Minisentry, which actually is a Baliste
    5. A new Dispencermodel, which looks a bit like an iron oven.
    6. Also I wanne make the Golddiggerbeard i missed to make on the Polycount Contest.
    Here is some progress stuff.

hammer01.jpg

I just thought of the basic hammer form now. You can also decide, which one you like mostly. I Prefer the middle one, cause i don't want to clumsy, but not detailed shaped either. I still have to think about a good Handle for it, but i can't think of a good shape for it. It should be wooden, not Iron or Plastic. Maybe it should gets some cracks at the end, but it still needs to look very solid. If you have a good idea, let me hear about it :3

cardbox01.jpg

The basic Cardbox just made in a few minutes. It should fit within the same animation the Engi makes while he has the PDA in his hand, but the boxtops flips over when he puts it out. Mayve I change the boxform itself a bit more, cause this looks a bit more too office like for me XD and not something like a Tinkerbox.

carnuntum-balliste-050604g.jpg
    This is the main reference for my planning sentry. I will use nearly exactly the same design like on this picture, but some changes are planned, so that it can turn 180 degress or that it can reload itself or something.

I didn't searched for a good reference for my idea for the dispencer, but it may look a bit like an older oven XD. Old, rusty, smoking, dirty thing, just welded together with some random iron pieces or somthing.

I don't have any slingshotpistol references Either ^^.

But I have a good reference I wanne use as Engibeard:
    114886_vollbart_big.jpg114885_vollbart_big.jpg

Also Old and Dirty XD. I may start with the basic beard form soon as well :3

I hope the thread isn't too big/long now XD

Have Fun!
  • Jman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting Closer
    8db24dasd2.png
  • Colossal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jman wrote: »
    Getting Closer
    8db24dasd2.png

Small request.

Remove one side of it and put a blade there.
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    m11918_wip03.png

Just something rather simple I'm working on, not quite sure how damaged I want to go with it, opinions would be nice ;)
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #2, except with the tip, or at least more of it.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    Pierate wrote: »
    m11918_wip03.png

Just something rather simple I'm working on, not quite sure how damaged I want to go with it, opinions would be nice ;)

I'd go with option 1.

The sharper, the better.
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I say option 2, but with a sharp point.
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 need some love, so.... 3 with a sharp point
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 don't need love, it need sex, so it need a sharp point.
  • Builder_Anthony
    I like 3.Everyone seems to want a sharp point which isnt a bad idea but i was thinking maybe bending the blade back a litte would be nice.
    >
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spy's weapons are clean and professional, so I'd say go with 1. If you are wedded to it being damaged, then 3 with the tip of 1 and a little more damage elsewhere. but still 1 i think fits the best
    I've got the Christmas light engie hat, it's my favourite hat ever! Ever!
    Just unboxed this in its purple plasma variety of an unusual hat :O love it!

yay, thanks guys! wow unusual, you lucky fk! i haven't even seen it in game though since i don't have it yet myself poly126.gif
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey congrats man, your christmas lights are awesome :D. I WANT THAT HAT SO MUCH D:
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do we know its for the spy? My first thought was soldier
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is a knife :D? you're right XD, It can be a soldier melee but when I see a knife, the first thing that comes to my mind is the spy :)
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aha, should have clarified that it is indeed for the soldier. Anyway the majority seems to favor nr 3 with a sharp point, so I'll go with that :)
  • XDiV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, plz talk, with the help of what program you model projects? And, if it is possible, give references on any tutorials
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to see how well I'll manage in doing the old concept of the unmasked pyro.

I don't think it was all that succesful.
    maskless.jpg
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Svdl wrote: »
    I decided to see how well I'll manage in doing the old concept of the unmasked pyro.

maskless.jpg
    The man-face doesn't fit for some reason... Try woman.

After you're done, upload them to FPS banana wrong way. (title and images say Pyro unmasked-male but when you download it you get the female version and other way around)
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    problem i see with the face is that it doesn't reflect the character and personality of the pyro. You would think someone that has gas mask on all the time would have a more sweaty look, marks on their face from the mask pushing up against the skin all that time. might also think about making the skin more pale due to lack of direct sunlight. Maybe use some oil workers as a reference. Also maybe mole eyed people since without a mask he'd be more squinty eyed from the sunlight. just a thought. :)
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree with oorbersli. But first, let's see what other people think about this one :)
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I third oobersli as well. The face just doesn't look like a deranged psychopath who likes to set stuff on fire. Make him crazier looking.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    No, doesn't fit "his" personality at all really. Pyro is too lighthearted and goofy to look that stoic. Cool face though, would be a good replacement for the soldier, for example.
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    engibeard2.jpg

A static beard for the Engineer. It doesn't have jigglebones and it won't be rigged on the facialsetup. Althrough the Engi ingame doesn't make that much expressions and i already tested the beard itself about clipping when the Engi starts to smile. Current Polycount is 400, but the model itself isn't finished. I need to randomize it more cause it pretty Symetric atm. Althrough it hasn't got any textures on it now. I may change some shapes of it as well, merging some spikes and maybe making them longer a bit or whatever.
  • Ruskibuski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

maskless.jpg

That's awesome! Can i have the download link?
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I'm done, yeah sure.

In the meantime, while I'm not disagreeing with anything that has been said about it, I didn't do much anything yet.
    I did put it ingame to see how hats look like on him.

pyroingame.jpg

He also looks even more stern and serious when looked at from an angle, so... whoops, I guess.
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The man-face doesn't fit for some reason... Try woman.

After you're done, upload them to FPS banana wrong way. (title and images say Pyro unmasked-male but when you download it you get the female version and other way around)
    oobersli wrote: »
    problem i see with the face is that it doesn't reflect the character and personality of the pyro. You would think someone that has gas mask on all the time would have a more sweaty look, marks on their face from the mask pushing up against the skin all that time. might also think about making the skin more pale due to lack of direct sunlight. Maybe use some oil workers as a reference. Also maybe mole eyed people since without a mask he'd be more squinty eyed from the sunlight. just a thought.

Captain of the Chalk Ship, I think what oobersli is trying to say is...the man-face doesn't look like the face of a very good looking guy...
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @svdl: I can see where your coming from, but it just doesn't seem to fit for me. I mean... he just doesn't look like the type of man who would go around burning people whilst wearing a rubber glove or flowery hat on his head.

He's just too stern and serious, which doesn't fit the pyro's quircky, sporidic nature. Maybe if you widen his eyes a bit and exaggerate some of his facial expressions if thats possible to give him a more crazy look. Also, like oobersli was saying, add more burns and sweat to his face, as wearing a full gas mask on your head all day can't do you any good.

What you've got so far is great, but it's just not the Pyro.

I've fixed up the clipping and started texturing my wrench. Just solid colours+AO with a few added details ATM:

textured_wip.jpg
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I'm done, yeah sure.

In the meantime, while I'm not disagreeing with anything that has been said about it, I didn't do much anything yet.
    I did put it ingame to see how hats look like on him.

pyroingame.jpg

He also looks even more stern and serious when looked at from an angle, so... whoops, I guess.

The Whiskered gentleman looks awesome on this man! but a lot of the hats are a little misplaced a little repositioning is in order, as well as face posing

In the meantime evil bond villain Pyro GO!
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Svdl: His mouth looks a bit weird, although I'm not quite sure why, theres just something about the mouth area, or maybe it's just me. Anyway, keep it up, I'm sure it'll look awesome when finished (even without the whiskered gentleman) :)

Got some more work done on this:
    m11918_wip05.png
    Gonna keep tweaking the textures until I'm satisfied.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

maskless.jpg

Female. It should be female and you know it.
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop wrote: »
    Female. It should be female and you know it.

ha ha ha!

+1000000000000000000000
  • Dashtoronto
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate wrote: »
    @Svdl: His mouth looks a bit weird, although I'm not quite sure why, theres just something about the mouth area, or maybe it's just me. Anyway, keep it up, I'm sure it'll look awesome when finished (even without the whiskered gentleman) :)

Got some more work done on this:
    m11918_wip05.png
    Gonna keep tweaking the textures until I'm satisfied.

A "I got raped" face? yes :D (no offence svld:) ). Good work, but you should move the engraved date to another place. Remember that the soldier have to hold it with his hand, making it impossible to see .
  • Cronotic