Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• ianucci
    Offline / Send Message
    ianucci polycounter lvl 9
    Yamo - Love it, well done, think you have a good chance with that minigun.
  • SandvichInYerFace
    Yamo, you can use the pldx TF2 recording tool. It records any TF2 demo to full-quality TGAs in the desired framerate and size, you can then render them to a high-quality video.
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    I had an idea for a weapon, but I don't know how it'll work. Basically, it's the Sniper's SMG but modified, plus a Machete attached. It probably won't work as secondary AND melee, so I'll just submit it as an SMG
  • Yamo
    Thanks for the kind words guys, on to the next item I guess :)
    Yamo, you can use the pldx TF2 recording tool. It records any TF2 demo to full-quality TGAs in the desired framerate and size, you can then render them to a high-quality video.

Thanks for the tip, I checked it out but it seemed to have trouble detecting the minigun for some reason (I assume it's not seeing custom models or something). Fortunately in searching for an answer I learned that you can still render out .tga's from recorded demos via the default console, and the gun shows up there

Does anyone know if its possible to have the demo show your menu selections and stuff? I tried recording the heavy's animation from the class select menu but the demo just shows the firstperson view instead

@Comfy: consider chamfering some of those edges at the top/front of the crossbow; it's going to be your viewmodel now that they're only accepting c_model versions. Otherwise it looks pretty cool; I'd ask if you considered turning it into a wrist crossbow instead but that would require custom animations and other stuff no one wants to do :)
  • ZoraKirby
    Hi. I 'm kinda new to this modeling, but i think i got it all down. Im not so good at texturing though, so chances are, this will look kinda crappy, but if i could get some help making better textures, it would be much appreciated. So, anyway, i learned how to model last summer so i could make some tf2 stuff. considering how engi is my favorite class, i decided to make a themed pack for him, regardless of whether or not valve is still releasing stuff in packs. I got some of the stuff done, but for now im gonna finish up the hat, because im farthest with it, and i though i should at least try to get it done before the next big update. The theme is "the inventor's toolkit" and the hat's name is "the brainstorm". it's supposed to be a "thinkin' helmet" for making new inventions .(i know, it does sound kinda weird)

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/hyper-kirby/?action=view&current=brainstorm_screenshot.jpg

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/hyper-kirby/?action=view&current=brainstorm_screenshot_engi1.jpg

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/hyper-kirby/?action=view&current=brainstorm_screenshot_engi2.jpg
  • BanthaFodder
    happymedicishappy.png

ZAP!
    looks badass so far. i'd have to see it in color though before passing judgement on it. what were you thinking of as far as a color scheme goes?
  • Communist Cake
    Team colors and gray.

I'm also thinking of trying out white, but I'm not sure.
    I'll try out both.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    coudn't work on it till this evening :/
    Some texturing progress on this side. Don't mind the chain :)
    heavy_chainzaw_da_16.jpg
  • ComfyCushion
    Starting to look really great, @Noors. Do you intend it to be a melee slot item? I'm not sure Valve would put it in as a minigun replacement.

Anyway, I've upped the poly count on the Arbalest, and added some details. How does it look now?

CrossbowExample3.png
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Hey dere,
    thought the Engie could use a hammer for those pesky sappers.
    Which one do you guys prefer? the Ball Peen(right) or the Cross Peen(Left)
    Wasn't going to texture it till i get some feedback on the shapes. Probably going to put some kind of wrap on the handle. Thanks

-Attributes-
    Hammer does not speed up constructing buildings if used, but does kill sappers in ONE hit instead of two.

Hammer_time.jpg
  • Bishop
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    Hey dere,
    thought the Engie could use a hammer for those pesky sappers.
    Which one do you guys prefer? the Ball Peen(right) or the Cross Peen(Left)
    Wasn't going to texture it till i get some feedback on the shapes. Probably going to put some kind of wrap on the handle. Thanks

-Attributes-
    Hammer does not speed up constructing buildings if used, but does kill sappers in ONE hit instead of two.

Hammer_time.jpg

First, you can give the items attributes, but don't expect Valve to listen to them.

Second, neither hammer look correct. You're edges are really rounded and beveled. A hammer doesn't actually look like that. I should know; I just came from a metal shop.
  • Yamo
    Another video, mostly me familiarizing myself with the whole demo recording/editing/uploading process

Last one I promise

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgDBnu_NjY[/ame]

Wish I could get the belt to look like its actually being fed into the minigun, but I dont know how I'd go about doing that
  • ComfyCushion
    Yamo, they didn't do that with Natascha, so I don't think it's that important.
  • SandvichInYerFace
    Maybe you could make it be fed into the gun by modeling it in a way that the bullets are arranged in a circle; this circle then rotates together with the top triangular part, and the bullets are constantly coming out of the box into the gun. I think that would be possible, but I don't see why you should remodel it just for a simple extra world view effect, since even Natasha doesn't have such a feature. Your model is way more than just good already.
  • NeoDement
    Also a circle would look really really silly. Looks nice in-game, good luck Yamo!

(they should just add an interesting new minigun already damnit)
  • SaltyMcShivers
    I have been looking at the models in this thread, and a lot of these models are awesome looking. Thus, I seek your advice.

I have an idea for an Engineer Shotgun/Teleporter unlock, and I want some of the input on the teleporter model I made thus far.

Default:
    PrarieDOGSSNormal.png?t=1292305983

Start of Building Phase
    PrarieDOGSSPacked.png?t=1292305236

Triangle Count: 2992

The general idea of this teleporter is fast deployment, but vulnerable (much like the Mini-Sentry)

I want your opinions on 2 things. Firstly, I want your thoughts on the leg hinges:
    PrarieDOGSSHinge.png?t=1292306587

Even the simple shapes I placed on them make them seem to be too detailed for me (68 polys/hinge * 4 legs = 272 polys on almost unnoticeable aesthetic). Do you guys have any suggestions of a good alternative that fits the TF2 art style?

Secondly, I was wondering if I should keep the lights in the middle portions of the arms. I like how they further differentiate from the default teleporter, but I'm not sure if the polys they are taking up are worth that. Alternatively, I could use the orange rectangular lights the default teleporter has. Or should I just forget about it?

If you guys have any other thoughts, please comment. Also, if you were wondering what idea would justify a new teleporter, you can read the thread here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1643222
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Working on a little something for the sniper. I may do an entire pack of items; I have a pretty good idea for a rifle. This is still super-duper WIP. The specular is just a flat gray and I haven't really done more than lay down base colors for the texture yet.

plyCz.jpg
    Y6gFG.jpg
  • Evil_Knevil
    I finished and contributed my Gondolier Hat for the Scout, so lets hope for the best:). I added jigglebones to the ribbons, but the only problem is the ribbons go through the body:(. I tried collisions but it didn't work.

de0aao.jpg

2lvighu.jpg

j5fjw2.jpg
  • MexicanBastard
    Work in progress.
    I would like to show off what i'm doing right now! It is a garrotte, a strangler equipment for the spy. It would be a knife replacement.

The properties:

The good side
    Silent kill
    Instant kill even is razorback is equipped

The bad side
    It needs a few sec preparation time between attacks (like the bow)

And here it is a few pics of it. Sorry for the quality it's blender default render engine.
    garrotte_clay.jpg

And with texture (im not quite sure about colors):
    garrotte_texture.jpg

Welcome any comment and feedback!
    Thanks!
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    All looking good. Swizzle, very promising as usual.
    MexicanBastard, you might want to show it in valve modelviewer. It's gonna be a pain to animate and i don't really see how you can strangle a guy on such a dynamic game. But the model is clean.
    I like the gondolier hat, remembers me my holydays T_T
    Salty Mcshivers, you can import the orignal sentry see how they use poly, but i don't think you have too much trianlges there, looks fine to me. You might avoid the tiny pieces on the legs hinges or make them bigger.
    Yamo, looking ace /jealous :|
  • ZoraKirby
    I posted this a few pages back, but the pictures were links, so i dont think anyone will even notice it. Basically, its a Thinkin cap for the engi, but im not so good at texturing, so if i could get feedback and suggestions it would be appreciated.
    brainstorm_screenshot.jpg
    brainstorm_screenshot_engi2.jpg
    brainstorm_screenshot_engi1.jpg
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    ZoraKirby : not really sure what you're going for here. Whats the green thing on top supposed to be? An Apple? While it has elements of 1950's science, to me it doesn't really fit with a cowboy, whiskey slingin' Guitar Playin' builder of people problem solvers...

That was the whole point of the 'Meet the' video's, to give a glimpse at the characterization of each toon.
  • ZoraKirby
    katana wrote: »
    ZoraKirby : not really sure what you're going for here. Whats the green thing on top supposed to be? An Apple? While it has elements of 1950's science, to me it doesn't really fit with a cowboy, whiskey slingin' Guitar Playin' builder of people problem solvers...

That was the whole point of the 'Meet the' video's, to give a glimpse at the characterization of each toon.

Well, if you read my post, it said "i posted this a couple pages back", so going pack to the previous page would have shown you this post:

ZoraKirby on Yesterday 05:26 PM
    Hi. I 'm kinda new to this modeling, but i think i got it all down. Im not so good at texturing though, so chances are, this will look kinda crappy, but if i could get some help making better textures, it would be much appreciated. So, anyway, i learned how to model last summer so i could make some tf2 stuff. considering how engi is my favorite class, i decided to make a themed pack for him, regardless of whether or not valve is still releasing stuff in packs. I got some of the stuff done, but for now im gonna finish up the hat, because im farthest with it, and i though i should at least try to get it done before the next big update. The theme is "the inventor's toolkit" and the hat's name is "the brainstorm". it's supposed to be a "thinkin' helmet" for making new inventions .(i know, it does sound kinda weird)

So, it's part of a themed pack i'm making.
    as for the "Green" thing, it's a yellow lightbulb. it must look green because of the shading (darker yellow looks kinda green). but anyway, it's supposed to be a reference to the lightbulbs that appear above people's heads in cartoons 'n' stuff when they have an idea.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    Np...Keep working on it and if you haven't, maybe read the illustrative guide put out by valve for this game. Either way, good luck with the project.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Daily progress. I feel like it's a bit too rusty now. The chain is still wip, and it's gonna be painful to get the animation right.
    heavy_chainzaw_da_17.jpg
  • BanthaFodder
    Team colors and gray.

I'm also thinking of trying out white, but I'm not sure.
    I'll try out both.
    hm... maybe gray for the claw and certain metal bits, team colored for the power thingy inside (and various other parts) and white for everything else?
  • Yamo
    Looking good, its definitely coming along. The overall rust is probably OK, but I do think the inside area around the pullstart is beginning to look a little busy. Maybe flatten out some of the detail in the "inside" circle that the pullstart is connected to?
  • BanthaFodder
    Yamo wrote: »
    Another video, mostly me familiarizing myself with the whole demo recording/editing/uploading process

Last one I promise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgDBnu_NjY

Wish I could get the belt to look like its actually being fed into the minigun, but I dont know how I'd go about doing that
    i honestly cant praise this enough. everything looks incredible. the details (jiggleboned bandolier, etc) are great. best of luck; this truly deserves to get in... here's hoping Valve:
    1. accepts it
    and
    2. doesn't give it bullsh*tty traits... be a shame for something THAT nice to be forced to the real of Dalokohs Bars and other useless items
    again, good luck :)
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    neah i won't team coloured it. Yeah the claws were maybe better in light gray.
    You're right about the details Yamo. I tend to add stuff everywhere and it starts to be messy.
    gah
  • BanthaFodder
    ZoraKirby wrote: »
    I posted this a few pages back, but the pictures were links, so i dont think anyone will even notice it. Basically, its a Thinkin cap for the engi, but im not so good at texturing, so if i could get feedback and suggestions it would be appreciated.
    brainstorm_screenshot.jpg
    brainstorm_screenshot_engi2.jpg
    brainstorm_screenshot_engi1.jpg
    NOOOOOO!!! NINJA'D YET AGAIN!!!
    lol, i had a very similar idea... mine was basically a much simpler version (metal straps with a little port for the bulb). the bulb would also light up. i dubbed it the Bright Idea. looks cool so far
  • Mark Dygert
    Noors wrote: »
    Daily progress. I feel like it's a bit too rusty now. The chain is still wip, and it's gonna be painful to get the animation right.
    heavy_chainzaw_da_17.jpg
    Thats looking great, good progress.
    About the animation have you thought about trying the animated texture or scrolling UV method instead of modeling the teeth?
    I can think of two ways of doing it with bones.
    #1) Create a wheel for the teeth that sits in the front and handles the rotation around the end, then create a few segments down the length that move only a tiny distance, these would be timed so that the teeth when they get to the wheel overlap.

#2) use a sh!t load of bones, and only move them a short distance in a quick loop. Probably create a path spline and set some dummies to path deform around it, then snap and key (Jim Jaggers Animated Align Script) the final bones/teeth to the path at various points.

Either way if you wanted me to test some things out I'd be willing to try my hand at rigging it up and animating it. I wouldn't blame ya if you wanted to do it all yourself either, just offering help if ya need it.
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    One of my new creations!!
    its a beanie, and a goatee thingy.
    I kind of messed around with heavy's head, and the goatee made him look really BA.
    Beanie_and_goatee.jpg
    Thanks!
  • Communist Cake
    Even though the Goatee looks awesome, it'd clip with the jaw when he talks.
  • Just a Gigolo
    heavy_chainzaw_da_17.jpg

Why is there a Jesus Fish on the chainsaw blade?
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    idno, i think it reminded me the fish on the sandvik saw of my father and Binksi sounded kinda swedish or something to me.
    Thank you Vig <3
    i planned to use uv scroll + path follow with a lot of bones (29 actually, 1 between each tooth, still pretty less than on the sentry)
    I made the animation do 1 full loop around the blade, but i could try with your script and do only a fraction of it.
    It actually kinda works, though i have some space with the blade when the teeth rotate in the curvy areas.
    I don't know how to synchronize path deform and uv scroll in source though. Another part of fun \o/

I was thinking about this as freesbees for a second weapon.
    ssssshhhhliiing
    sandvik_blades.jpg
  • Dr.Eggman
    65950310.jpg
    71314196.jpg
    Many thanks to Jumento M.D. for great help.
  • wafff
    Offline / Send Message
    wafff polycounter lvl 12
    Been watching this thread for a while and thought I'd give it a shot too!

heavyhat.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    idno, i think it reminded me the fish on the sandvik saw of my father and Binksi sounded kinda swedish or something to me.
    Thank you Vig <3
    i planned to use uv scroll + path follow with a lot of bones (29 actually, 1 between each tooth, still pretty less than on the sentry)
    I made the animation do 1 full loop around the blade, but i could try with your script and do only a fraction of it.
    It actually kinda works, though i have some space with the blade when the teeth rotate in the curvy areas.
    I don't know how to synchronize path deform and uv scroll in source though. Another part of fun \o/

I was thinking about this as freesbees for a second weapon.
    ssssshhhhliiing
    sandvik_blades.jpg
    Heh awesome, like HL2 using the gravity gun to pick up saw blades... ahh cutting zombies in half...good times...
  • Simski
    Hey, I have a request that I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in doing.

However it should be known that I'm requesting this as a mod that would be be released to the public as a personal skin, and an item that would be highly unlikely to get into TF2 both because of not fitting the TF2 theme and for possible legality issues.

User Hideous_ on Facepunch showed us with his new model, that the new Killing Floor promo mask makes it possible to replace Pyro's entire head.
    Kg3bu.png

So what me and a lot of other people think would be really awesome, was if someone made an Earthworm Jim model to replace the new Killing Floor mask.
    Earthworm-Jim-earthworm-jim-877244_226_460.jpg

Like I said earlier, I would like this as an item put up on perhaps a popular skin website such as FPS banana. The reason for this is that modeling this item and not putting it up for download will be a waste of time and effort, due to how very unlikely it is that Valve would accept this as an official item.
  • Ruskeydoo
    @ Yamo - The bullets in your feed look almost exactly the same as the ones on his bullet bandolier... but not quite. Being so similar but not actually the same I find quite visually jarring. Also Nat has an enclosed ammo feed. With this one having the bullets on display but not going anywhere, that is a bit weird.
    Apart from that amazing model and would like to see a shotgun in the same theme.

@ Noors - I reckon less is more with the detail. The form of your model is beautiful and I don't think you want to distract from that.
  • lampekap
    noors i think the spec is a bit too much on the rusty handle. i also wonder if you will add those black greasy stains for contrast or leave it as is. either way, it looks amazing
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    Waff: That's just scary fun. Nice Job.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Simski wrote: »
    So what me and a lot of other people think would be really awesome, was if someone made an Earthworm Jim model to replace the new Killing Floor mask.

or PSYCROW !

psycrowa.jpg
    aaww Ruskeydoo, your the guy on steam forums, you crits whore :)
  • The Scrub
    wafff wrote: »
    Been watching this thread for a while and thought I'd give it a shot too!

heavyhat.jpg

:|
    :/
    :)
    :D

OMG this is awesome!
  • RedSheep
    @Wafff That looks great. If (and hopefully when) you submit it, perhaps you submit the hat and beard separately (the beard being a misc item). There may be a little clipping issues with some hats with the beard, but if you do split it up, that gets rid of the beard interfering with any other misc. items that may exist in the future. I would at least like to have this as a skin for a Christmas promotional hat that does get in if this one doesn't.
  • Kebab
    Work in progress.
    I would like to show off what i'm doing right now! It is a garrotte, a strangler equipment for the spy. It would be a knife replacement.

The properties:

The good side
    Silent kill
    Instant kill even is razorback is equipped

The bad side
    It needs a few sec preparation time between attacks (like the bow)

And here it is a few pics of it. Sorry for the quality it's blender default render engine.
    garrotte_clay.jpg

And with texture (im not quite sure about colors):
    garrotte_texture.jpg

Welcome any comment and feedback!
    Thanks!

Looks nice but couple of problems:
    1) You need two hands to operate it. The way cloaking works it basically adds third hand. -> When cloaking you'd see three hands on the screen.
    Way around it would be to animate it so that the 2nd hand would appear when you are "readying" it, like arrow, holding the fire key.
    2) While making it bypass Razorback would make sense, it would make razorback pretty useless. It's only purpose is to bypass backstabs. Considering how easy it is to shoot lone snipers (two ambassador hits kills sniper before he can even unscope), I don't think the weapon would be that useful for that.
    I think better would be to give it silent kills when the wire is fully prepared and making it more useless face-to-face by reducing normal melee damage by 50% or something.
  • Bboy
    @Simski

Damn right you're gonna have some legality issues. Tesla will go crazy when he hears about this.
  • Don Karnage
    Simski wrote: »
    the new Killing Floor promo mask makes it possible to replace Pyro's entire head.

Got bored. Made this.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYhWLaiTJG8&quot;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYhWLaiTJG8[/ame]
  • Contrails
    @swizzle - good start :) ... I don't like the knot though - it doesn't seem too sturdy and I think you should make it into more interesting as it's the focal point looking at it from the front. Just out of curiosity what animal is it supposed to be?

@noors - since I have no idea what any of these parts are called, I labeled them

chainsawareasofinterest.jpg

1 I think the splotching is not subtle enough on the darker part and to a lesser extent on the blade - you should make it follow the contour of the object and maybe lower the contrast; the blade seems off to me as if someone literally took a paintbrush and painted squares onto it - again lower contrast

2 is the opposite problem - it may be the lighting but the wood (I assume) looks more or less like a solid color - svdl's shotgun a few pages back (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1252337&postcount=3561) is a good example of what I'm talking about - also it shouldn't be as shiny as the metal right next to it

lastly 3 seems odd to me as the top is extremely dirty and the bottom isn't - I'd think that dirt and rust would have a easier time accumulating in the bottom there rather than the top where it'd be easy to clean - I agree the rust in general should be toned down a bit too... good progress :)
  • Yamo
    Concept for my next item

zorroconcept.jpg

Not sure how I would do the mask, I guess a misc item combined with a reskin. Would be cool if I could have the mask keep as much of the face deformations as possible