Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    new title image for dicta boelcke, mimicking the style of old aviation adverts
    a1a13bbe9b6e88e17cee9aade7336709.png
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    follow up to that weird giger'esque thing i posted few weeks ago, deciding on a much more simple look for my team's android game. This is a mockup for level 1 background, the player will not see all of this at once, and there should be parallax type background scrolling, and bubbles and shit later.

If you don't know what you're looking at, thats pretty much the idea, you play and fight microorganisms, and from all the references i've found, not much recognizable. So "organic abstract" is my design philosophy in this game.

Thoughts?
    2q32593.jpg
  • Dewclaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you not going to make a high resolution scult in zbrush ?
    Originally, no. I was trying to learn how to just work a lower-poly model (been referencing Ben Mathis' stuff quite a bit lately), but you're about the third person to suggest it so I might do so anyways.

Well, probably in Mudbox. I've tried ZBrush a few times but don't enjoy it that much. I'll be learning it/Mudbox ANYWAYS since it's obviously good to know, but I honestly enjoy building lower poly-models more.
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    MsMarvel wrote: »
    whhat.jpg
    MALicivs wrote: »
    that looks pretty good mate, not sure about those purple pipes in the ceilling though. Is that supposed to be final? I think they stand out a bit too much. Show more stuff! wires and textures maps and whatnot. What engine are you using btw? Is that unreal?

Yeah you have some great work here MsMarvel! Deff digging the light on the outside. I think the pipes are purple because they havent been unwrapped or textured.I am sure they will be textured soon. Trimsheets!
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Harry wrote: »
    new title image for dicta boelcke, mimicking the style of old aviation adverts
    a1a13bbe9b6e88e17cee9aade7336709.png

I like this a lot! I'd recommend putting some space between the pilot's face and the wing though. The scarf is a good indicator that he's there, but I think having the profile of his face strongly visible will help the first read of the image.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    I like this a lot! I'd recommend putting some space between the pilot's face and the wing though. The scarf is a good indicator that he's there, but I think having the profile of his face strongly visible will help the first read of the image.
    He's looking at the enemy plane though ;) I might try tweaking it to make it more obvious, but i'm not sure how without ruining the style

I guess this is sort of final
    45263_427321127014_659337014_5474227_276258_n.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    For an illustration, you need to make it simple... If you can share more info about those drawings

Thanks for your interest, these illustrations were required for a job application and had to follow a style. www.changepeople.co.uk
    I really thought they were simple enough and the second one did convey a simple message. The first one could mean various things though and I was considering changing it but ran out of time due to the deadline for submission.
    I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not... not to be rude, BUT LOOK AT THAT BABIES FACE!

Ahh the baby, yes. Well, I'm not particularly fond of babies, that's perhaps why it looks like a little crying pig!

Pedro, that's awesome work :)
  • TNO
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Well ive broken my screen caps of my model character down into about 20 clips so far, 2x-3x speeds but it still seems an aweful lot... 4x+ you lose too much for it to be worth it really so fuuu. After this ive still got to edit the proportions back down, uv map, texture and then rig.

Ahh well something else to do ehh?

The first vid.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU-fneDGd_g[/ame]

Yea im not a professional modeler, itermediate at best, so dont expect a dazzeling performance, Though i only made four mistakes throughout so, pretty good ;D

Uploading as i sort them, The crusor is off track on some of them and i have no idea why.. Ohh well

Not sure how to create autoplay on the clips yet but heres the rest of them anyway;
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lazerusreborn?feature=mhum#g/u
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello all im pretty new to the boards and finally decided to post something and get some crits and comments because its the only way im going to improve. This is a current high poly wip of a shotgun ive been working on. Im pretty sure ive uploaded correctly.
  • TNO
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Great work everybody :O

I shall do tiny details now, k.

tank7.jpg
    tank8.jpg
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    working on this galleon (both interior and exterior), really need to finish it soon, it's still empty but the cannons and all other props will be added.
    Ship_Wip01.png
  • karera
  • dougjuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dougjuno polycounter lvl 18
    I started a thread with these but I don't think I'll update it enough to keep it going so I'm just going to post updates on here going forward.

cor1.JPG
    cor2.JPG
    cor3.JPG
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    That's awesome doug :), I'm digging the oldschool feeling of it!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    For my udk enviorment.. 23rv9g2.jpg
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got alot of junk kicking around that I always plan to work on but probably won't.

prototypeabwipxi.png
    katanawip5.png
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Trying mudbox with my new computer :
    2ee6f442c366232e1c7844bb97977tt.jpg

And for the fun :
    6a69ae899627ff9c66acf976c56cdt.jpg
    :explosion:
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    luke wrote: »
    render223.jpg

The wood boards look painted... are they supposed to be painted? If they are painted, the paint should be worn off in spots, especially around the edges, and if it's not painted, it looks too chocolately and there's not enough contrast and detail in the wood grain.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    gear01.jpg

I took my old axe I made for Torchlight and "ported" it to match my wood sword. now with green Orc blood. I just started on a rickety wood shield made of fence posts. It won't stop an axe, but it might block a wood sword :P shield is just started so its super wip, just thought I'd post up the trio because they're fun.
  • naturon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving it man, my only comment would be maybe a bit of colour variation ?? I dunno some streaks of paint on the fence shield or something. but seriously looking great
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    that wooden sword is so dope!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Love the style Slum! ;)
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    TNO wrote: »
    the latest update for today (1719 vertices)
    1719-vertices.jpg

no animate-able eyes? thats too bad.. but then again, this is PC, who the f thinks about the next step in character creation eh? ;)
    the couple of cartoon ducks or whatever that I've kinda modeled and animated, have all been kinda difficult to get the eyes done right on.. like, its not a round eye, so I didnt rly figure out how to set it up :P lazy and all..

looking good though!:poly136:
  • ıomeen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generic sci-fi guy. Early work in progress.
    Edit: Goddamnit, how do I make this image smaller?
    Whatever. Link removed. I'll finish it first.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    TNO - was it actually worth sculpting that? i would have just subd's the duck and accessories since thee are no real shapes that demand sculpting and TBH it would have a been a lot sharper.
    Its good that you are practicing the whole workflow thing, but why make things harder on yourself
  • achillesian
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    no animate-able eyes? thats too bad.. but then again, this is PC, who the f thinks about the next step in character creation eh? ;)
    the couple of cartoon ducks or whatever that I've kinda modeled and animated, have all been kinda difficult to get the eyes done right on.. like, its not a round eye, so I didnt rly figure out how to set it up :P lazy and all..

looking good though!:poly136:

you could always model the form to look right and use animated UVs to move the iris around
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    achillesian - I imagine that's what AIDS looks like or better yet crabs
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    @ thatanimator
    you are right if i wanted to animate him the eyes would be a little bit tricky at the current state.

@ Neox
    cool idea
    haven´t thought about this yet - many thanks

update
    image.jpg

EDIT;
    @Ruz
    I don´t know if it was worth it ;-)
    what is TBH? (I only now silhouette,box and poly by poly modelling )
    I like the freedom sculpting gives me.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ace work harry
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Well got the mesh down anyway. Still got the hair to plane but ill do that when i texture.
    render13-2.jpg

Im thinking dual weild high cal smg/pistols so futurism look to match the armour.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    Neox wrote: »
    you could always model the form to look right and use animated UVs to move the iris around

sorry to have turned this page into kind of a tech talk thread :poly122:

youtube.com/watch?v=5XFcnKquyew
    youtube.com/watch?v=gpavwiEtKX0

some quick stuff I did a couple of years ago where I had the kind of problem we got into. none of them are done using uv's or anything. marvin is just a plane with an alpha on it, animated using a joint. bugs eyes as well, and his eyesocket is rigged up with tons of joints (go game!) lol :)
    problem here is also facial expressions. like brow movement and whatnot. blendshapes could work better than joints perhaps. together with a pupil on a uvanimation.

ooooh well! :)
    keep working on that duck TNO. I'd wanna see him turn into a Darkwing Duck rather than a vanilla one, but whatever :D haha, next one eh!:poly136:
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    TBH is To Be Honest:) TNO

I just think if stuff needs sculpting then scuplt it, but the beak came out looking a bit melty so in my book it would be better to model that sub d, then for the body, you could a little hint of feathers for the sculpt.I did something similar here
    cuteowl.jpg
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    2yl1dew.jpg

I have no idea what that is, but it is awesome.
  • Niwon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, fixed the dof Ravenslayer: I also fixed a whole bunch of other things in this render:
    adasaurus_desert_scene_new.jpg
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    TNO wrote: »
    @ thatanimator
    you are right if i wanted to animate him the eyes would be a little bit tricky at the current state.

How about replacing your current eye pupils with alpha-transparent planes and have them animate-able instead? You could move them around instead of rotating a sphere like you would otherwise do.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    rollin wrote: »
    I'm working on many different things at the same time

here I'm testing the ground textures and playing a bit with the unity terrain.

The shot is edited in ps to stretch the colors to the whole range. (level)
    I hope I can do this with screen effects in the pro version.. Otherwise the result would be poor :(

demoon_ingame_06.jpg

Looks cool, but what do you mean by stretching the colors? can you not get the effect you want by adjusting texture contrast and lighting?
  • Todd McCullough
    Hi guys.

Very new and never posted any art.

Intimidating group here.

I've been updating my portfolio and would love some feedback.

I'm working on this right now. She's not rigged but I'd like her to be.
    Now that I look at the expression I shaped for her quickly, I see how bad it looks.
    Gotta finish her hands.

Image41.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    commander_keen/felipefrango: man I really was going to write a big text about this but after testing a little bit around I was able to set the color levels of the textures (without damaging them) and it DOES now look ingame like the edited shot. :thumbup:

But nonetheless.. how big would be the performance hit of full screen color correction?

cheers :)
  • ıomeen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright – early work in progress. A generic sci-fi guy. I hope the image scales down properly like in the other posts of you guys.

PerspektiveWIP10.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ıomeen wrote: »
    Alright – early work in progress. A generic sci-fi guy. I hope the image scales down properly like in the other posts of you guys.

It does not scale down bc its not wider then allowed. the height is unimportant.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    rollin, a brightness/contrast post effect should be pretty cheap. All you need is a texture sample, multiply by constant, and power() by constant. It would require SM2 (because thats the lowest shader model unity allows you to make programmable shaders afaik) so on very old hardware it wouldnt be rendered. I would imagine that on any graphics hardware that supports it you wouldnt see any performance hit for such a simple shader.

If your going for very low end specs like facebook games or something I would suggest not relying on any advanced shading/post effects for the game and dropping them out on low end hardware for performance, which is easy to do with a quality slider and the shader LOD system.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks great fuse. eyes look a bit cloudy though
    bit of progress
    dude1.jpg
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    I remember texturing that owl for nexus productions Ruz!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hah cool, kite. yeah my blue texture didn't impress them
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Rus that looks good, but next time can you mirror the missing parts of the body so we can have a full view of your model? :D
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers Cap Hotkill yeah its just a pain to have so many subtools, but i will put them in next time
This discussion has been closed.