Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - LucyCharm

Hello people, i will try to make something here. First of all, sorry for my english, you know how bad i am on it.

So, i will try to make a remodel of the tradicional sentry, my idea is simple: Sentries act like some kind of plant; they stay in the same place, grow, react and need some care. My entry is a small sentry wich became more strong and powerfull (artisticaly, since it´s the goal of this contest) growing.

The theme is the TF2 itself, im making buildings based on nature of the farm. I will try to make a new view of the old things by the creative engineer.

CLASS: ENGINEER
Theme: Floral Defense

IDEA (not considered for the contest anyway XD):

More health(due his shield)
Less damage
Ruin the accuracy of players hitted.

FINAL VERSION:

Here we go..the final video of Lucycharm, showing animations, gibs, sounds...as you wanted!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH2jlLjlC1o[/ame]

lucy.jpg
By Satoshi54

The texas way to take care of a violent mecanic plant. :D: LucyCharm

Im not good at drawing, but here you have the basics of the level 1:

sentry_l1.jpg

ALSO WORKING ON A DISPENSER!!! Almost done..im finishing up the animations!!! Go to the last pages to know more!

ALLLL.jpg

Soon, a teleporter to close the pack! ;)

Replies

• pyanodon
    The first mockup of LucyCharm Lvl.01. :D

LC_lv01-01.jpg
  • Some Jerk
    Hm. I like the concept of a defensive sentry. But I would change the barrel of it so it doesn't look like something you'd insert a coin into.
  • pyanodon
    Some Jerk wrote: »
    Hm. I like the concept of a defensive sentry. But I would change the barrel of it so it doesn't look like something you'd insert a coin into.

HUmm thanks for the tip!. When im making the concept, I was thinking in another bullet shape..but i will try others barrels! :thumbup:
  • pyanodon
    Better barrels or should i go on in the square one?barrels.jpg
  • DDSN
    2 and 6 look really nice.
  • pyanodon
    The number 2 is the original setry level 1 barrel.
  • Luxy
    3 in the style of 2, with the gaps radiating outwards.
  • Galago
    Luxy wrote: »
    3 in the style of 2, with the gaps radiating outwards.

I second this notion.
  • pyanodon
    HUmm Thanks! here is LucyCharm lvl01 with the new barrels, please, take a look:
    new_barrel.jpg
  • Rogue Trooper
    Looking quite nice. How, if I may ask, are you going to do the levels 2 and 3 SGs? In my minds eye, I can as it gets bigger, guns pop out of the sides to peek outside of the shield.
  • Ritz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ritz polycounter lvl 10
    Looks a little front heavy in the way it stands, I'd slide it backwards a touch.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Ha, I just realized that it incorporates the TF logo in its theme. Neato burrito.
  • VANGUARD
    I have to admit I was rather cautious of the idea at first but once its off the page and in 3D its looking great, I agree with the front heavy comment though I'd scoot it forward a little bit :D but apart from that, great! I cant wait to see more =]
  • pyanodon
    Ritz and VANGUARD:

"Looks a little front heavy in the way it stands, I'd slide it backwards a touch."
    Hummm good point, i put the main structure more in the middle and i liked it. THanks
    Sentry_lvl01_mod.jpg
    Rogue Trooper:

"Looking quite nice. How, if I may ask, are you going to do the levels 2 and 3 SGs? In my minds eye, I can as it gets bigger, guns pop out of the sides to peek outside of the shield. "
    The shield wont block the sentry growth, look that level 2:
    LC_lv02.jpg

I put the two machine guns in a big ass one in the middle. Sure, for the rockets in the level 3, i will need to make the sentry more agressive and i will need to move the shield :poly121: .
    Karkasmolenklok:

"Ha, I just realized that it incorporates the TF logo in its theme. Neato burrito."
    haahah Thank you, that was the first idea :D
  • Karkasmolenklok
    The stage 1 and stage 2 legs don't look much alike. How do you plan on one transitioning to the other?

Also for the rocket launcher I see the whole shield rotating 45 degrees, the portion that will be on top retracting and a rocket launcher positioning itself in the now-open section. How does that seem?
  • pyanodon
    The stage 1 and stage 2 legs don't look much alike. How do you plan on one transitioning to the other?

Also for the rocket launcher I see the whole shield rotating 45 degrees, the portion that will be on top retracting and a rocket launcher positioning itself in the now-open section. How does that seem?

You're right. I will use the legs of lvl2 to remake the lvl1 and lvl3. Thanks
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Yeah there's a lot you can get away with (like how a much much bigger lvl 2 sentry pops out of the tiny lvl 1) so don't think I'm telling you to change stuff, just probably something to take into consideration before you start animating this and go "Damn, this is a lot more work than I was hoping it would be."
  • pyanodon
    Yeah there's a lot you can get away with (like how a much much bigger lvl 2 sentry pops out of the tiny lvl 1) so don't think I'm telling you to change stuff, just probably something to take into consideration before you start animating this and go "Damn, this is a lot more work than I was hoping it would be."

Yes, but that's why we have a thread to discuss about, sure i will forget something and nothing better to show to another people who can see what i cant. I dont have plans to make new animations, i will just use the same animations of the original TF2 sentries that's why the leg thing you pointed helped me.
  • Karkasmolenklok
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pyanodon
    looks great I like the plant theme a lot. any plans for animations? I am currently dealing with how to handle animations and compiling.

Hi bud, i have no idea how to compile custom animations. I also dont know if i need ot send the sentry as it is or need to animate it since i planned this sentry uses the same movement of the original sentries. I think that part will be the worse in the contest for me.
  • Khthon
    Animation is going to be a problemo. Hopefully someone will help you with it, because this looks magnificent.

And for the name do you mean Lucky Charm? Or Lucy because it's a girl's name so it's a pun on Lucky?
  • pyanodon
    Khthon wrote: »
    Animation is going to be a problemo. Hopefully someone will help you with it, because this looks magnificent.

And for the name do you mean Lucky Charm? Or Lucy because it's a girl's name so it's a pun on Lucky?

The cereal would give me problems, but the name is both a joke with luckycharm and with his wife Lucy (ahah i know, i created that wife in a previous comic i was drawing to my fake update, but i didnt have time to finish it.)

p1_prev.jpg

Here is the Lucy with new legs, i change the legs to help me in the transition from level 1 to level 2 since level 3 will share the same parts of legs.

lvl1_newLegs.jpg
  • Khthon
    You're a very talented artist. What are your ideas for the rocket launcher shape/position?
  • pyanodon
    Moving up! here is the level 3 protoype. My plant bloom in a kiling carnivorous machine. A dream for every spy XD

LC_lv03.jpg

Every rose has his thorn :\

Also, a comparative in size of all levels and our fella.

lucy_comp.jpg
  • Snowloss
    Get that thing AWAY from me!
  • Some Jerk
    Hm. The level 2 reminds me of a frilled lizard.
  • pyanodon
    Some Jerk wrote: »
    Hm. The level 2 reminds me of a frilled lizard.

ahahahah yes. Engineering always try to copy nature forms :)
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Seems like way too much. Went from a solid relatively simple concept to spiky metal hell.

Look at the difference between the original sentries:
    lvl 1: a barrel mag with a barrel coming out of it.
    lvl 2: two guns come out of the side of the canister, legs grow to support this.
    lvl 3: a rocket launcher pops out the back, barrel mag moves down.

What you've got going on is this:
    lvl 1: shield with gun
    lvl 2: gun becomes gatling gun, shield gets bigger (and cracks?) stuff pops out the back, legs grow to support this
    lvl 3: second gatling pops out the side, rocket launcher pops out between them, the legs change completely, a whole other support system expands out in the front, four new shields with spikes appear, and the whole thing gets...shorter?

Look at the progression in your scale model next to the engi; the third one looks completely out of sequence. Now model-wise it's cool looking and very well modeled but it doesn't look like it fits in the progression at all.
  • pyanodon

Look at the difference between the original sentries:
    lvl 1: a barrel mag with a barrel coming out of it.
    lvl 2: two guns come out of the side of the canister, legs grow to support this.
    lvl 3: a rocket launcher pops out the back, barrel mag moves down.

What you've got going on is this:
    lvl 1: shield with gun
    lvl 2: gun becomes gatling gun, shield gets bigger (and cracks?) stuff pops out the back, legs grow to support this
    lvl 3: second gatling pops out the side, rocket launcher pops out between them, the legs change completely, a whole other support system expands out in the front, four new shields with spikes appear, and the whole thing gets...shorter?

THanks for the crits. Im not contesting you, i m explaining what i thought while building that level 3.

Ok, let's go, in the level 2, the shield grow due the senty size grow too, it need to cover the new area. I put some cracks to damage the weapon a bit. The back area is the machinery of the sentry which need more legs (actually the same legs form level 1 in another dispose to deal better with the new weight).

The level 3 is more heavier, and them thinking in how to stabilize that, i spread the legs and put the entire sentry more near to the ground to gain stabilization.
    I needed to move the shield up to protect the sentry, it's the same lvl2 shield, i just flip the last part of it to front, since that parts are jointed. The legs is the same legs of the lvl2, this time, more spread and new two legs (support system) in the front (like the original Sentry in TF2, in the original sentry, the new legs appear in the back).
    For the machine gun and rocket luncher, i agree...i think im still use one machine gun and the rocket in the place of the another, that should fit better. humm...The spikes is only to make the machine more agressive look :)
  • JimeeB
    Offline / Send Message
    JimeeB polycounter lvl 10
    My two cents is keep the legs the same through out the first two sentries, don't make it get any taller, or if it DOES get taller don't extend the legs more than what would be feasible. Remember, metal can't grow. So what you start with for the legs at the first one should stay the same. Changing the dimensions of your objects breaks the metarules for TF2 which states for the sentry and dispenser that no matter how big it gets, it came from somewhere.

I'd take the damage out, unless you ad it in the first one as well. To make the shield feel as thought it CAN grow, maybe add another section of shielding right behind the first one on the level one sentry.

EDIT:

Also, the plain square blocks you have behind your guns on level three RUIN the overall organic shape you have going on there.
  • nex
    yep, my mind is pretty much blown...

and offtopic question for OP...did you made guard dog? (:
  • pyanodon
    DKK wrote: »
    One issue with spreading the legs out that Rhinokey brought up was the footprint of the turret, basically Its feet can never get wider than the original toolbox, because that would prevent it from being upgraded if its built in tight corners.

HUmmmm great point... I measure the sizes and proportions of my buildings near the original ones. This image have the comparative, the same colors is the same measure. The origina level 1 and my sentry have the same area in the legs. The original level 2 when pop out all the things have the same width of my level 3. I used that sizes while building my sentries, i thought that "box"area is my working area and build inside it. I dont know if the legs spread while in the same area of the original lvl 2 sentry could be a problem :/

original.jpg
  • Karkasmolenklok
    pyanodon wrote: »
    THanks for the crits. Im not contesting you, i m explaining what i thought while building that level 3.

Ok, let's go, in the level 2, the shield grow due the senty size grow too, it need to cover the new area. I put some cracks to damage the weapon a bit. The back area is the machinery of the sentry which need more legs (actually the same legs form level 1 in another dispose to deal better with the new weight).

The level 3 is more heavier, and them thinking in how to stabilize that, i spread the legs and put the entire sentry more near to the ground to gain stabilization.
    I needed to move the shield up to protect the sentry, it's the same lvl2 shield, i just flip the last part of it to front, since that parts are jointed. The legs is the same legs of the lvl2, this time, more spread and new two legs (support system) in the front (like the original Sentry in TF2, in the original sentry, the new legs appear in the back).
    For the machine gun and rocket luncher, i agree...i think im still use one machine gun and the rocket in the place of the another, that should fit better. humm...The spikes is only to make the machine more agressive look :)
    Alright here's some possible suggestions;
    EDIT: Hey the image the numbers correspond to! Maybe I should, like, include it?
    ae3e40883c0ac88abd35ce8bc82c5868_goddamnitiforgot.jpg
    1. have the cracks here manifest themselves in the first part of it, so that they don't appear inexplicably.
    2. instead of having a whole mess of spikes show up on lvl 3, tone it down to just a few spikes and have them come out on lvl 2 or 1. Maybe in the middle where it gets bigger anyway?
    3. Instead of having it descend dramatically down and outward, try and keep the size relatively similar between lvl 2 and 3, kind of like with the original sentry (the original one is only taller because of the rocket launcher)
    4. The gun, which was central, kind of gets replaced here with the rocket launcher and then two full-sized guns sprout out the sides. Maybe instead keep the gun in the middle and have rockets on the sides? Coming out the top and/or bottom could work too.
    5. If you wanted somehow to make the main sentry gun look beefier (I think it's fine the way it is, kind of like how the guns stay the same between lvl 2 and 3 on the original) then another way to do it is to simply have it protrude more, perhaps revealing more mechanism behind it? It could telescope out somewhat during the upgrade animation
    Anyway, these are all just possibilities. I liked the theme that you were going with and I think it could be one of the best sentry gun entries thusfar, which from the look of it is going to be utterly the hardest class to make stuff for (and probably why they've spent so long at putting out the update for this class. Best of luck!
  • pyanodon
    JimeeB wrote: »
    My two cents is keep the legs the same through out the first two sentries, don't make it get any taller, or if it DOES get taller don't extend the legs more than what would be feasible. Remember, metal can't grow. So what you start with for the legs at the first one should stay the same. Changing the dimensions of your objects breaks the metarules for TF2 which states for the sentry and dispenser that no matter how big it gets, it came from somewhere.

I'd take the damage out, unless you ad it in the first one as well. To make the shield feel as thought it CAN grow, maybe add another section of shielding right behind the first one on the level one sentry.

EDIT:

Also, the plain square blocks you have behind your guns on level three RUIN the overall organic shape you have going on there.

Thanks Jimee, your two cents are good ideas! I understand the metal grow stuff and i will fix the legs. My idea was two square "O" tubes, one inside the other which can glide between them allowing the "grow" effect without change the dimensions of parts. I disagree with the things on tf2 always come from somewhere, the machine guns in the original lvl2 sentry arent present in the level 1, that machine guns just pop out, like my one :D

Ah, i will fix the square ammoboxes and put hinges (maybe in a texture) in the movable parts of the shield too, thanks!
  • pyanodon
    nex wrote: »
    did you made guard dog? (:

ahah yes. :)
  • Snowloss
    That... is actually an interesting find and conundrum. I think the bottom maintaining the same size would be a good idea specifically for the 'floor zoning' issue brought up previously... however the boxing of the model itself having bearing on placement and all is also quite a possibility with this new evidence.

It might be a good idea to jump into TF2 (or import the models) and toy around with Sentry placement and area in order to find out which applies, a boxed in area or floor space.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    ahah yes. :)
    I did not realize that was you. You're already quite experienced at designing, modeling, and animating excellent engineer buildings (the simple laser turret being my personal favorite)
  • pyanodon
    ;

1. have the cracks here manifest themselves in the first part of it, so that they don't appear inexplicably.
    2. instead of having a whole mess of spikes show up on lvl 3, tone it down to just a few spikes and have them come out on lvl 2 or 1. Maybe in the middle where it gets bigger anyway?
    3. Instead of having it descend dramatically down and outward, try and keep the size relatively similar between lvl 2 and 3, kind of like with the original sentry (the original one is only taller because of the rocket launcher)
    4. The gun, which was central, kind of gets replaced here with the rocket launcher and then two full-sized guns sprout out the sides. Maybe instead keep the gun in the middle and have rockets on the sides? Coming out the top and/or bottom could work too.
    5. If you wanted somehow to make the main sentry gun look beefier (I think it's fine the way it is, kind of like how the guns stay the same between lvl 2 and 3 on the original) then another way to do it is to simply have it protrude more, perhaps revealing more mechanism behind it? It could telescope out somewhat during the upgrade animation

Thank you bud, i like your suggestions and will modify some things. The spikes idea is great as the cracks.
    I did not realize that was you. You're already quite experienced at designing, modeling, and animating excellent engineer buildings (the simple laser turret being my personal favorite)

Glad you like my work! I like that turret, it's a shame tf2 dont have lasers XD XD
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Glad you like my work! I like that turret, it's a shame tf2 dont have lasers XD XD
    'cept of course in gravel pit.

But yes, dear valve more lasers please kthx
  • Psyke
    the engie unused laser kill icon anyone?
  • pyanodon
    Ok... i made some changes based on tips people gave to me here and particulary, i like the result a lot. The sentry became more elegant, flourish and agressive in the same time. Thank you people!

I keep the same size, removed the cracks (i will damage the metal in the textures), came back with the one machine gun and put the rockets belllow. Also, i used the shield in this level as a armor to the sentry, protecting all the parts (well, in front, his back is the weak point).

I put the legs in the same width of the level 2, put a bit more machinery in the middle and rocket area and reduces the spikes. In this image i put the old level 2 to compare the sizes, i will put smaller spikes in the level 2 soon when i start the mapping job (oh god...). Well..i have a lot of work here, i will go on in this contest on monday.

LC_lv03-02.jpg
  • Khthon
    My god you are talented. I hope if you have time you do a couple more things...although this will probably take all of your time and then some.
  • chickenman
    i really like the second iteration a lot better. But it seems like you're making it overdetailed. That might be a pain when you go in to do the animations.
  • Some Jerk
    chickenman wrote: »
    i really like the second iteration a lot better. But it seems like you're making it overdetailed. That might be a pain when you go in to do the animations.

This man makes a point.

Try making a less detailed version and see how that works.
  • pyanodon
    I will do a less detailed to see. Also, thank you people for the feedback!

So...that's my problem:

I have no idea how the animation-comunication will work..i see the original TF2 sentries starts with a number of polygons, when they're updated, this number increase, some parts dissapear and stuff. I made my sentries based in what i see in the game, but...HOW? How tell to engine that specific part will be deleted, that another will be created...etc? I know how to make my sentries working, rotating, growing, unpacking...but i dont have any ideia how to make these parts which wil be deleted or/and created in the building process working in a...file?

That animation part (the interaction with the engine, deleting, creating parts) will be my main problem in this contest...i dont know how export it, or how to make it works in the game (i was thinking Valve team would figure it out since im not creating new animations, my sentries would work like the original ones but...)

This contest as said in the rules, is a contest which will bring new itens to the game, that itens will replace the old ones like almost the same funcionality, not a entire new item, the functionality need to be the same, and thats why i used the same sizes, attacks etc of the original sentries. I was thinking there's no need for custom animations since sentries only rotates, building, targeting and reloading, also, being destroyed.

In resume: What animations i need to do (if it's true) and how to send it to Valve?

Well, i need help :D:D Anyone? Or at least, some clarification.
  • Some Jerk
    You can always email robin or somebody at valve if you have any questions like that need answering.
  • Khthon
    Oh that reminds me, you may need custom metal gibs. Bits of the sentry to pick up for ammo/metal after it explodes, since the gibs of teleporters/sentrys/dispensers all look like parts of those machines.
  • pyanodon
    ok...i find someone to help me in the animations...I think i can continue on it. :)
  • yrogerg
    Wow these models look great! I can't wait to see what it looks like with textures! I don't have the time to build one this month for the contest, but I hope to try my hand at making a new sentry at some point also :)