Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    doodle time while on phone with my mum :D

robotdoodle.png
  • D R E A M N T
    Offline / Send Message
    D R E A M N T polycounter lvl 10
  • adamlewis
    Thanks for the tip catstyle, the cheeks were bugging me too. I lowered the spec value, increased the gloss and it looks much better now.
  • Niwon
    Looking very nice adamlewis, and I am curious about what made the rendertime monster sized with a lot of noise? Due to the fact that I am a vray user myself. The vray skin shader of yours might also need a bit higher scatter radius in the thinner parts like the ears, perhaps an area specific scatter map is what your're missing? :)

Been playing a bit with Vray today as well:
    FumeFX 2.0 with Vray
  • adamlewis
    I'm not sure about other apps, but if you're using Max and have it configured for a linear workflow, you need to setup the color mapping settings in Vray so it correctly samples the image at a gamma of 2.2 (with an inverse of .454). If you don't, Vray will try to sample from the gamma 1.0 output, and won't catch the noise in darker areas, even with a really low noise threshold setting. I originally thought my sample settings were too low, so I increased them, at a huge cost to render time with minimal benefit in quality. Once I sorted out the color mapping settings, I was able to use a lot cheaper sample rate while still achieving a nice clean result. Send me a PM if you need more info.
  • Drew++
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 10
    Here's a Magpul UBR stock that I rushed. :P

261ivc1.png
  • Marshal Banana
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshal Banana polycounter lvl 13
    How's this one?
    KoE_hero_group2.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi interpolator
    WOW Notorious PIG, that's just AWESOME!

MOP THAT is ALSO Amazingly Awesome. Looks a lot like an old Ibanez Music Man I had with a Floyd Rose Tremello Bridge. Amazing render! Think you could write us a tutorial on how you rendered that?

Neox - GL With Airborn. HUGE fan of your work, and GL with E3.

Well, here's a new addition to the portfolio:

Started out as some kind of Kit-bashing test thing for a generic character over a year ago.

Just posting it anyways:

Malika_1.jpg

Malika_2.jpg

Malika_3.jpg
  • kite
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 13
    really nice work guys, some great hard surface stuff
    adamlewis - that looks awesome adam, very nice pore detail
    jacquechoi - cool character jacque
    notorious p.i.g - great train!
    Vitor - very nice character, render looks great, just like a toy
    marshallbanana - i like the designs, i would paint some more shadow in there and maybe add a little more volume to the face, perhaps subtle gradients down the flat cloth elements?

here is a Tf2 Vip doodle from this weekend

ideas -
    Sort of like a turtle, player controlled, map contextual class that can take lots of damage. A super buff class that offers bonuses to all other classes from his transparent case when you get him on your side. How do you get him on your side? bribe with monies or blackmail with pics of him in red sequinned dress. can use Glowing red telephones on the map to negate barriers hindering teams progress/ call in airstrikes.

Once VIP takes a certain amount of damage he can invoke diplomatic immunity. Pull cord to inflate jacket which uberises him and critifys him.
    pyro blast VIP ball of death into enemies for much hilarity!
    bottle of neuf de pap as melee weapon?
    camera in case can be used to take photos of enemy classes, that class takes krit damage.
    Atomic bomb case can be detonated by demomen when VIP places it. umbrella deflects bullets?
    Spare umbrellas can be gathered from elephants feet.

not really got the hang of the tf2 facial style yet and his silhouette looks kind of bulbous right now but fun so far, sort of based on mr bridger from the italian job and george smiley from the le carre books. Figure he would speak like the duke of edinburgh crossed with matt berry.

vipballofdoom.jpg
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 12
    Kite you rock. Love the tie coming out over the neck rim. He kind of feels too detailed compared to the TF2 characters though.
  • bbob
    duuude, kite!

Thats waay awesome..
  • Spacey
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 14
    Seriously kite, what the fuck, man? That's beautiful <3

Also Marshal, it's really cool to see how you've progressed as an artist. Getting better with every post!
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin interpolator
    hehe.. dis is cool kite!
  • catstyle
    lmao that's amazing kite
  • Niwon
    adamlewis wrote: »
    I'm not sure about other apps, but if you're using Max and have it configured for a linear workflow, you need to setup the color mapping settings in Vray so it correctly samples the image at a gamma of 2.2 (with an inverse of .454). If you don't, Vray will try to sample from the gamma 1.0 output, and won't catch the noise in darker areas, even with a really low noise threshold setting. I originally thought my sample settings were too low, so I increased them, at a huge cost to render time with minimal benefit in quality. Once I sorted out the color mapping settings, I was able to use a lot cheaper sample rate while still achieving a nice clean result. Send me a PM if you need more info.

Thanks a lot for sharing the info adamlewis. I will give the 2.2 gamma a go. I have had the exact same issue, not getting why the increase of material samples did not get rid of noise. I had a feeling that why the vray sss fast skin material was looking so over-saturated and dark, had to do something with gamma settings that needed to be adjusted. Now I have it confirmed.
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 11
    jesus kite!, i'd thought you'd evolved into a higher plane of being with your work by now...

now...must..finish...
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 14
    kite, your every piece oozes with style and attention to minor detail that give your characters a lot of .... well.. character :)

I'd love to see more ! It's heartwarming how much personality your designs carry :)
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Damn a lot of good stuff on here...

Vitor/adamlewis> > damn. Nice renders.

Pig/Kite> Sheeeit. Actually kite, I think that balloon ripped his feet off... :/

Still very wip. Been learning a lot of new tools.
    my head hurts. crits appreciated though

liono02.jpg
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 11
    @moof: Looks good so far, but who is this? I sure that i know this figure somehow, but i can´t remember from where.
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 14
    you rock, Andy Nisbet.
  • mat
    andy, seriously fantastic character once again
  • morte
    kite, you are seriously just too awesome... I was looking through your stuff recently and i wanted to ask what kind of matcap/settings you use that your every piece, no matter if it is cartoonish or realistic looks so smooth and yet details are clearly visible?

A wip of a guy form me:
    panx.jpg
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 11
    moof wrote: »
    specter> thundercats... which curiously I just read the guy who wrote that show was murdered, his arm taken off?

weird friggan world.

Ah, good old times, i grew up with this kind of shows.But wasn´t the Sword smaller? Like a dagger? Or was it growing bigger, can´t remember correctly...
  • Medestruit
    Meh, some painting I've been messing with. Still heavy WIP.

straightjacket.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 12
    A fan of Lady GaGa, I see.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D interpolator
    steampunkish gnomeish scientist
    steamscientist.jpg
  • dang87
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 10
    Here's what I'm currently working on for class.

tub_HI-POLY-SHEET.jpg
  • PolyHertz
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz sublime tool
    Mop, just make a thread for it already so we can have all the rendered goodness in one spot :)

Adamlewis, caught the vray bug did ya? Good luck on the eyes, window to soul and all that.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 14
    PolyHertz: Heh, I thought I moved it before anyone saw that. Damn :)
    It's in its own thread now!
  • Medestruit
    Snader wrote: »
    A fan of Lady GaGa, I see.

Actually, no. I was searching for a straight jacket stock and came across a pose I liked with it(it's not Lady Gaga, it's an alt model from DeviantArt). I originally was going to do a unique character/pose with it, and still plan to where 1 arm is unlatched, but getting back into the swing of painting needs lots of practice, so voila :p
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 10
    Here is an M4 I've been making over the past couple weeks.. It was being made as part of some contract work, but the contractor has decided they don't want it... cool.

This is using 3Point Studios awesome new shader too, which I really like. Great work on that guys!

wip29b.jpg

wip28.jpg
    wip30.jpg
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 11
    Brandoom, its nice but it doesn't look like theres any normal map at all on it, or even a decent spec map? Its like its just using one texture...?
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 10
    odium wrote: »
    Brandoom, its nice but it doesn't look like theres any normal map at all on it, or even a decent spec map? Its like its just using one texture...?

Thanks,

Yea there is both a spec and normal. I added another picture. It was a little hard to capture the normal map detail while trying to show the whole model.. I need monitors that support a higher resolution.. lol
  • JFinn_UK
    Offline / Send Message
    JFinn_UK polycounter lvl 7
    Oh my days, crikey you guys are good :o And hello, this is my first post here :D

Here's just some furniture I've been working on, it's actually the first proper game stuff I've been making, I've not been into game creation related stuff for very long so I'm a newbie to it (been learning loads of technical stuff though). Also the textures are like twice what they will be in game...

Bed.png
    Couch2.png
    Kitchencabinet1.png
    Kitchencabinet_overhead.png
    woodenchair.png
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Hmm, try posting the model with just the normal map applied so we can see how well the high poly translated to the bake. Also maybe texture flats.
  • WOLFREIM
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome Wolfreim!
  • JFinn_UK
    Offline / Send Message
    JFinn_UK polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome Wolfreim!

I second that :D
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work Wolfreim!!!

I have been working on this for a little bit, getting close to finish, thought i'd share it with you all, for now all u get is screenies, i'll post the finished render etc when its done :). Then i'm off to make a new character model for my next year at college(animating) and hopefully i can squeeze my site and some assets in there too :poly142:

14ms5uc.jpg

mrs9oy.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Cool, I followed the same Digital Tutors DVD a while ago, looking good.
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Cool, I followed the same Digital Tutors DVD a while ago, looking good.

Haha yeah i've been working on it off and on, I've actually learned a great deal from it alone, i catch myself doing what he's about to before he actually does now haha.
  • RedRogueXIII
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 11
  • Moosey_G
    sstillcrap.png

My first ever model from low to high to low with normals, then textured. So many smoothing errors. I guess it could have been worse.
  • Marshal Banana
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshal Banana polycounter lvl 13
    Looks pretty good, Wolfreim. The only problem I can see is that his fingers are a bit spindly.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 9
    Working on grass for sports game, still trying to figure out a good way about getting it very nice looking without being a strain on the engine:

grasstest.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 12
    mrjimmy wrote: »
    Oh my days, crikey you guys are good :o And hello, this is my first post here :D

Here's just some furniture I've been working on, it's actually the first proper game stuff I've been making, I've not been into game creation related stuff for very long so I'm a newbie to it (been learning loads of technical stuff though). Also the textures are like twice what they will be in game...

Your textures need a lot of work. I'm not seeing wood end at the ends of planks etc, and you've got a veins running in the wrong direction. For instance, on the chair legs you've got = horizontal veins while they should be || vertical. Carpenters make furniture so the veins run along the longest side, because that's the sturdiest.

It's also very obvious that you haven't done much with the textures. The one on the cupboard is straight off of CGtextures, and the one you choose looks more like a PS filter then actual wood. To get a good look, you'll need to paint in some (subtle) dirt in crevices, have some details like hinges, screws perhaps, and painting in the grooves between planks.

The cupboards are really simple planar maps and it shows. You need to texture in all the different planks. You can get a long way with just mixing up a single texture, but better is to have multiple texture sources combined (several samples of similar wood, instead of just a 1024 like I used). Here's a really quick mockup with just one grain texture, one end texture, and a simple colour adjustment to make them match:
    planks.jpg
    Left is like your, right is what you should do instead. Notice how you can see that there's a top plank, sideplanks, and a bottom, and notice that the planks look like planks because of the end grain. As I said though, this is a very simple example, because it's only 8 planks, whereas a real cupboard usually has 25+ (look at the borders on the doors on the reference photo).
  • Hatred
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred polycounter lvl 14
    ae. wrote: »
    Working on grass for sports game, still trying to figure out a good way about getting it very nice looking without being a strain on the engine:

grasstest.jpg

ae what engine is it? it looks VERY nice!
  • Lonewolf
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 11
    ae, what engine? Alpha blending is very expensive to draw in the correct order so I'll be interested to see what engine it is and how it looks when its all clumped together :)
This discussion has been closed.