Home General Discussion

L O S T

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ben was never shot by Sayid, because Sayid never got on the island. The only reason ben and his dad stayed during the evac was because he was shot, and at the temple.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I thought Sayid shot Ben as a child. He was put back in time with Jack, Hugo, and Kate, but ended up in a different spot than them. Darma thought he was an 'other'.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    What I'm saying is, if Sayid never got to the island because of the events of the bomb, in this alternate timeline, Ben and his dad would have left the island in the 1970's
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    b1ll wrote: »
    wittmore

!@##%!..... WIDMORE :E

I noticed something strange about the hanso foundation website, too. Not sure what the deal is but it's just an image that looks like a wormhole/portal. After a few seconds it kicks you back to the Widmore industries page.

http://thehansogroup.com/

maybe they just got lazy and abandoned the site, but I don't recall seeing it before.

@b1ll - I think you're right about the alternate universe thing. It seems like something more is going on for sure. I recall someone meeting another lostie and asking if they've met before, or that they looked familiar? Like there's some kind of mental imprint or the like. Definitely seems to be more there.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    What I'm saying is, if Sayid never got to the island because of the events of the bomb, in this alternate timeline, Ben and his dad would have left the island in the 1970's

And that's what I'M saying ;) If they left during the evac, Ben still would have been shot. That happened before the bomb was detonated. So, what I'm saying is, he would need to survive that gunshot by Sayid.
    lol, this is where playing with time fucks with things. I see what you're saying, but if Sayid had never been there, then Jack, Kate, Sawyer, etc... wouldn't have been there to det the bomb either :P
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    lol, this is where playing with time fucks with things. I see what you're saying, but if Sayid had never been there, then Jack, Kate, Sawyer, etc... wouldn't have been there to det the bomb either :P

That could be why it's a split-off timeline too. The paradox of repeating invalidation of their own actions might have made their space-time continuum adjust by snapping the contradictions off into an alternate timeline and flashing all the anomalous people (the losties) back onto a timeline where they could logically continue without paradoxes, with the Ajira survivors and Ben, where they'd have been if they hadn't time-traveled. Like an empty bottle submerged in water or something-- stuff gets displaced because the pressure naturally has to equalize. Some kind of quantum self-righting mechanism.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    And that's what I'M saying ;) If they left during the evac, Ben still would have been shot. That happened before the bomb was detonated. So, what I'm saying is, he would need to survive that gunshot by Sayid.

Exactly. None of those guys went to the island either. I think you're missing a key point - when the bomb went off, a LOT changed. The effects of the events were so huge, in fact, in this other timeline, there is no bomb. It was like a big fat reset button - everything shifted into some sort of completely unrelated timeline.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Now that Widmore is on his way, will he be good or bad? I enjoyed the episode, watching the 3rd series at the same time, Ben seemed to be half bad, half okay, never great and Jacob probably knew that and wasn't sure to trust him.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I thought Ben had 'sacrificed' Alex in favour of power again in the school scene where he's holding the principals name plaque, but it seems he's not the bad guy after all in the alternate time-line.

Almost welled up when Ilana says "I'll have you" - hope things work out for Ben.

Is Lapidus a Candidate still? Being that Ben mentioned how "the island got him in the end"?

I'm waiting for a homage to Lawnmower man where he creates some early 90's VR Bees or something with his digital ESP powers. :D
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly. None of those guys went to the island either. I think you're missing a key point - when the bomb went off, a LOT changed. The effects of the events were so huge, in fact, in this other timeline, there is no bomb. It was like a big fat reset button - everything shifted into some sort of completely unrelated timeline.

Well, now you go back to one of my original statements. Why did Ben and his Dad leave then? If they've moved into a different timeline with that much change, then why the evac? It seemed to me, that the losties were the reason for drilling too far (the DARMA guys were distracted from the machine while the losties were fighting with them).

And I think Widmore's return should be interesting.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Well, now you go back to one of my original statements. Why did Ben and his Dad leave then? If they've moved into a different timeline with that much change, then why the evac? It seemed to me, that the losties were the reason for drilling too far (the DARMA guys were distracted from the machine while the losties were fighting with them).

And I think Widmore's return should be interesting.

We don't know, it could be any arbitrary reason his dad came up with. In this time line they just didn't stay there, if they even went there. I think they didn't considering the island is deep underwater. Or they might have been taken to a different island.

This was a great episode, I liked that Ben didn't sacrifice Alex in the new timeline and didn't go to unLocke.

My favorite part, though, was when Richard was all freaked out and then immediately after his talk with Jack he realized he now has his reason to live back. Following and helping Jack, the future Jacob.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Didn't they tease that someone would meet their demise? Did I miss a death here? I thought it was going to be Richard, but he pulled through also.
    Ben, Jack, and Richard all 'met' their demise. Gotta think metaphorically.

After all the bitching about Jack on here lately, he was SO AWESOME in that dynamite scene. People need to have some more faith and recognize that stories have progression. Sometimes you got to let a character be a dick for a while in order to make them that much more great when they get back in form. If he sucks when it ends, then okay, but until then I am the Jack Defense Force. Jack is awesome.

Little theory here, don't remember if I said it before or if anyone else brought it up, but I think that this 'alternate timeline' may very well be the ending of the show. It would be pretty incredible to find out that you've been watching the ending throughout the entire season.

It fits. All the characters seem to be finding peace. It would make for both a mindfuck and happy ending.

...or what if it's the beginning? What if this alternate timeline was actually the first timeline, and the show itself has been 'what happened afterwards'.

Ooooooooooooo
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    acc wrote: »
    It fits.

Not unless Alex was able to shrug off a bullet through the skull. It's definitely an alternate timeline.

Good to see Widmore returning...things should get fun. Wonder how he found the island though, without the lighthouse guiding him. Probably something to do with Faradays mom...really good episode though, and I expect the next will be just as good.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Frump wrote: »
    My favorite part, though, was when Richard was all freaked out and then immediately after his talk with Jack he realized he now has his reason to live back. Following and helping Jack, the future Jacob.

I really hope not. Jack has become a selfish douche. I just kept wanting that dynamite to go boom and there be no more jack.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I liked how they finally tied Richard to the Black Rock :) The line in the 2nd or 3rd episode where SmokeLocke said something to the effect of "glad to see you back in those chains," and seeing Richard kinda lamenting at the chains on the boat was a nice subtle touch either hinting at him being a slave/prisoner, or been held captive for some reason

I also want them to tie up the 1st Mate's Journal from the Black Rock... maybe Widmore used it! He looked like he was reading something, didnt pay attention to what though.

I wonder whenexactly Jacob "touched" Richard, since in the 1950's section he seemed to not know anything about him... but was obviously there before that on the Black Rock... I also wonder how he was touched (heh heh heh), because when ever other character was "touched" by Jacob - Jack, Jin/sun, Sayid, Sawyer, Kate, and Hurley it was through some inanimate object (candy bar, flowers, map, pen, money/backpack, guitar case) - except for Locke, who I think he touched his shoulder. That could have some hints as to who would be favored more. Did Hurley shake his hand? i cant remember...

Ben's character keeps getting stronger and stronger, I've always been a big fan of that character, but he seems to just keep getting cooler and cooler. I wish they would have put a joke in about the Science teacher complaining that students didn't know about chemical reactions within dynamite, that would have been nice :)

Also.. was the principal the reporter from Die Hard? He's aged!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you guys recall, way back, Michael and Walt.... Walt must have been considered the ultimate 'candidate'. But, to add to that, remember earlier that Michael kept trying to kill himself, but couldn't. So he must have been 'touched' also.

And I think Widmore may have known the whole time how to get back. Maybe he was just banished in a way that wouldn't allow him to return until something was changed. I don't think he actually needed the lighthouse. That was just a story Jacob used to get Jack to the lighthouse. He wanted Jack to see what the mirror did, and probably knew that Jack would destroy it.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    As much as I love this show I have a feeling even after the last episode airs I'll be crawling through threads like this for things I missed, theres just so much to the show!

And whats the deal with the lack of Desmond this series? He was shot but was told he would be perfectly fine, yet we have only seen him in the alt timeline since? How did he go from best character on the show to nothing at all :s
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Because his storyline is for the most part wrapped up. His issue was penelope and widmore and he didn't get 'back' on the plane he finally stood up to widmore and told him about his grandkid and then widmore told him to keep them safe. He got on penny's boat and lived happily ever after as far as we know. We saw him on the oceanic alternate timeline on the plane (which he wasn't on the first time) but in the current alternate 2004 timeline he's apparently still with penny..
    odium wrote: »
    As much as I love this show I have a feeling even after the last episode airs I'll be crawling through threads like this for things I missed, theres just so much to the show!

And whats the deal with the lack of Desmond this series? He was shot but was told he would be perfectly fine, yet we have only seen him in the alt timeline since? How did he go from best character on the show to nothing at all :s
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the alternate timeline, Desmond was on the plane. He talked with Jack, and they went through the 'have we met' scenario.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was weird because I'm not sure if it was a recognition across alt time lines, or was Jack remembering back to when he met Des running steps at the stadium?

IF that even happened in the alt timeline? Des was running the steps to train for the boat race that put him on the island. Maybe he still ran the race but because the island sunk it didn't trap him and he made it back safe?
  • KING-TAHARKA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have a feeling that Jacob will appear in the alternate timeline and do something cool. :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    perna wrote: »
    :)

My theory:

The bomb was not responsible for any changes. It's only a story telling device to divert the viewer's attention.

"Flocke" wins.

The coming episodes will feature bad juju, including unexpected deaths.

There is no alternate timeline.
    Flocke is the good guy. What you see is not a flash sideways; it's the ending of the show. Desmond may have some idea what's going on.

dude this is seriously the coolest theory that i've heard. the idea that the alt timeline is flocke sending everyone back to the beginning where they didn't crash (but does this explain why their entire lives have differences?), and this is how it then plays out is great.

I also love the idea that that IS the ending.. mainly because people need to be blown away by the ending and it has to be a big 'omg WTF?' moment to really be LOST. if they can pull that off I will be impressed. Can't wait for more episodes.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Not sure if its the man in black that grants wishes, I think its more to do with if people are willing to redeem themselves then, good things will happen to them. Ben does not join Locke and in the alternate timeline does a good deed - nothing to do with being granted a wish. Sawyer did not avenge Juliette's death by killing Jack, again he redeems himself by doing the right thing. Although it could be that the character's traits will always stay the same, no matter what happens on the island. In the 3rd series, Jack gets the tatoo - something about being a great leader, then all of the sudden the locals beat the crap out of him, and his girlfriend states that he is a good person, ands she is not. It kind of shows that the world is made up of two sorts of people, and the island is a microcosm of this.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    bounchfx: stuff

I love you. that's seriously one of the best ways to interpret everything that's happened, and it makes sense. the only thing I'm not completely sure about is the fact that
    flocke is the one that 'saves' or 'returns' them. could be jacob, could be both (doubtful), and i really like the idea of Desmond as the new Jacob, but there's no way he'd be without penny and charlie, so I imagine he'd do that job from off island

I'm gonna miss these characters when the show is over, for sure..

and then I'll buy the complete series box set.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I think you've hit the nail on the head there Perna. Damn you, now I don't get to be surprised :D

However, they really do seem to be setting up Jack as the next Jacob, but he gets his happily ever after too...which is weird.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    what if jacob and the man in black are the same person.... just the two sides of the same coin.. You can't kill him... O_o
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    per :yup thats the only way they can end it really. The shows title was always spiritual, they were all Lost and then found themselves thanks to their experiences on the island
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    So based on latest ep, how do you guys feel about ben? Do you have sympathy for him or is it all his fault.

i feel sorry for him
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I hope he dies.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I would definitely be satisfied if Per is right and that is the ending. However I've heard the same sort of thing from many different sources now (though, with not as much thought or explanation put in) and due to the fact that so many people think this is the ending, kind of makes me doubt it. When has Lost ever been predictable and when have the theories been true? I think the writers are definitely setting us up for a curveball, not necessarily a twist ending or anything, just that it won't turn out anything like people think. I kind of hope for this, I want to see what they do with it if not that. That seems too easy.:)

The showrunners have said that the ending is going to be polarizing, with some people loving it and some people hating it. I can't see many people being disappointed with that happy reset ending.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I see tons of people not understanding what the alt time line is for and thus disliking it. It obviously serves a purpose, just more obvious to some of us than others.

also, I really hope the ending isn't the way the dark tower ended where
    *SPOILER*
    it basically resets the journey again
    , but they have said there was a lot of influence from that series. and if we play off the theme of 'progress' and not everyone fully developing, I guess it could make sense to. I don't know.

I'll trust the writers, they've done an epic job so far. So excited!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm wondering if when the smoke monster kills people, or perhaps when people die on the island in general, if
    they're sent off to an alternate non-island timeline and aren't really dead in the normal sense, despite leaving a body on the island
    . Up until this season, the MIB was taking the form of dead people, but if I recall, only ones who either died on the island or whose bodies were sent there (Boone, Yemi, Dr. Shepard, Locke). So it appears he's got some kind of special relationship with death on the island. Way back in season 1 or 2, when Locke encountered the smoke monster and he was saying he "saw the heart of the island" and it was a "beautiful bright light", the smoke kind of hesitated in front of him before not killing him. I'm thinking maybe
    it started to do whatever process of pre-island-death timeline-shifting it might do, but quickly reconsidered when it realized Locke had more to do on the island first

If Per's theory is correct, then that would explain how characters who died way back are still active and finding their way in the alt timeline along with the ones who are currently involved on the island. The replacements for Jacob or the MIB might be people who
    can't find their way in the off-island world no matter what
    . That could be a rare enough thing that there's a big sorting process. And perhaps it can only happen when
    Jacob and the MIB themselves can be reintegrated off-island as well-- which maybe Jacob already was, which is how he was able to be killed

But I think the smoke took the form of a horse once too.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    It seems that Jacob has powers on the island and Flocke off the island. That's the theme throughout, that they're two sides of the same coin.

Last series we saw Locke get resurrected after he was pushed from the window by his Dad, laying on the ground Dead, Jackob touched his his shoulder and brought him back to life.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I might prefer a dark ending simply because it probably takes more balls to do that, since it would undoubtedly piss people off more than a happy ending. but i'm open to anything. and since they've had it in mind since the beginning they've had like 7 years to make sure lol
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha, sometimes you just gotta smack a bitch. Claire is definitely out to lunch
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    meh, this week was just Meh

Next week will be interesting, Richard story!

I HOPE WE HAVE GOOD ANSWERS!

ben
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah...locke is playing deese fools..he's telling the truth.....but not all of the truth...so help him dog
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I enjoyed it.

but holy FUCK was sayid out of it.

shit was pure
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Sideways Sawyer is Batman. He decided to fight for justice because his parents were killed in front of him at a young age.:)

Kind of a slow episode, but it answered a few things, like whether Widmore came alone or not. And what happened to the Ajira passengers.

Every time Claire and Kate are in the same scene together I always hope one steps on a land mine or something. That is really what came to mind when they were hugging. Get rid of the two worst characters in one fell swoop.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm beginning to agree with Perna's theory. I'm thinking maybe the Locke character isn't 'bad', and actually keeps his promise. Basically, everyone's life has improved when they returned. The only person who is still having issues in the new timeline, is Kate and Jin. Makes me wonder if they try to stop Locke, and thus don't get to change their lives.

And yeah, this ep we meh for me too. I'm beginning to dislike episodes that really don't push towards answers, and only really only fill part of the timeline.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Something I'm wondering: What big ticket mysteries have yet to be answered? I know we get caught up in the little things, but what really significant questions are left?

A lot of times I feel like "good episode, but where are the answers?" but I guess a lot of stuff has been covered at this point - so what are we hoping to solve each week that we find disappointing?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the overall biggy is, why they are there? There seems to be a purpose behind it, but there seems to be more to it than just getting candidates. The powers of the island needs to be explained (why it's so special and why people can't kill themselves). I'd love know more about what happened with Walt, but that seems to be a storyline that they decided to sweep under the carpet.
    Problem is, there were so many questions throughout the show, that you forget which ones you'd still want answers for ;)

The only real BIG answer, was what the numbers are for.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Why is it that the Lochness Monster, upon Jacob's death, can no longer assume the form of anyone else who has died, including Jacob?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something I'm wondering: What big ticket mysteries have yet to be answered? I know we get caught up in the little things, but what really significant questions are left?

A lot of times I feel like "good episode, but where are the answers?" but I guess a lot of stuff has been covered at this point - so what are we hoping to solve each week that we find disappointing?
    Whats with the frozen donkey wheel, is it actually The Wheel of Dharma? Interesting because the outer wheel edge is missing if it is.

Why do people who use it, end up in northern Africa?

What is a Dharma polar bear doing in the desert, what kind of a dig site was it?
    I guess they used a polar bear to find out what the wheel did, or polar bears where used to pull the frozen donkey wheel?

Is the island Atlantis...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Well, the overall biggy is, why they are there? There seems to be a purpose behind it, but there seems to be more to it than just getting candidates. The powers of the island needs to be explained (why it's so special and why people can't kill themselves). I'd love know more about what happened with Walt, but that seems to be a storyline that they decided to sweep under the carpet.
    Problem is, there were so many questions throughout the show, that you forget which ones you'd still want answers for ;)

The only real BIG answer, was what the numbers are for.

I don't think we learned what the numbers were for at all. we just saw them in another location, which happened to be corresponding to the oceanic 6. doesn't explain why they were everywhere outside of coincidence, or i suppose, 'fate'. I didn't find scribbled writing on a ceiling to be an explanation. even then Valenzetti equation is a better answer, but they've yet to reference that in the show itself, only outside the show in the bonus stuff.

:from LostPedia
    "During the video, Alvar Hanso also states that the radio transmitter on the Island, will "broadcast the core numerical values of the Valenzetti Equation." The numbers, 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42, are explained in the Sri Lanka Video, as the numerical values to the core environmental and human factors of the Valenzetti Equation. Alvar Hanso also states in the video that the purpose of the DHARMA Initiative is to change the numerical values of any one of the core factors in the equation in order to give humanity a chance to survive by, effectively, changing doomsday."

it's sad this hasn't be developed in the show at all yet. is it a key to what's happening between jacob and locke? to change one of the 'core' numbers/people? at the first episode of season 5 jacob seems convinced 'they' will be different and flocke argues that they'll never change.

i donno, just brainshitting here.

one of the biggest things we learned was what the smoke monster was. it's him.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The numbers also correlated to the candidates' location in the lighthouse.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    The numbers also correlated to the candidates' location in the lighthouse.

I saw those and the cave ceiling as one and the same. same person using the same people for the same numbers. he was just keeping tabs on the ceiling, but apparently, also on the lighthouse (by scratchin em out)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    So what else is there to know about them? I don't think we'll ever know why they are so significant (hatch, computer, secret places elsewhere). But I think we've been given enough by being told pretty clearly what they are, where they come from, and what they mean.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    So what else is there to know about them? I don't think we'll ever know why they are so significant (hatch, computer, secret places elsewhere). But I think we've been given enough by being told pretty clearly what they are, where they come from, and what they mean.

so the fact that they were everywhere we just have to assume that it was all a coincidence that they were the hatch numbers, hurley's winning numbers, flight number, dharma station password, etc?

think it's a 'the number 23' sorta thing?

I could buy that, I was just hoping there was more of an explanation to that. I just saw the 6's being those numbers as another string of the coincidence, though I suppose with greater meaning. Is the real main timeline even real?

donno, dawg! :P
    I'd just really like to see some of the valenzetti stuff they kept pushing make it into the actual show.
    or even more mention of hanso and dharma overall, but I suppose that stuff will stay with the extra stuff outside of the show. no biggie.