Home General Discussion

L O S T

Replies

• Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Watched the ending last night. Sad to see it go :( The ending was alright for me, Made a bit of sense so I wasn't yelling at the t or anything more like going OHHHHH shit, I SEEEE!!!!

So what was everyone's thoughts on what the island was? I do know some of you just attribute it to magic, but thinking up possible solutions is always fun.

Here was what Haz and I came up with last night.
    We had and idea that it was an Inter-dimensional Gate that sat stationary in space and time between two dimensions. (our dimension and a higher dimension. -String theory here-)
    Smoke monster was from the other dimension wanting to escape. When they moved the island they weren't actually moving it they were moving their dimension and jacob, mother and later richard became conduits between the two dimensions, hence why they had power over time.

But in the end perhaps the island doesnt have an explanation, just a catalyst in the shaping of those characters.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Actually I also thought your post was bordering on the idiotic Hyru...I just ignored it :)

I don't believe it was idiotic, that's a pretty strong word, I was making an analogy that seems like a fair assumption. And your animated gif sums up how a lot of people feel about the ending as well - the kind of nonsense a sleeping dog would come up with.

You can only take mystery and intrigue so far, for many people the ISLAND was the biggest mystery of all. And it seems the writers had no answer for it, or ever intended to tie together what many people felt were important plot devices. If you're going to spend whole episodes on certain plot elements, to just dismiss them as " it doesn't matter" seems like bad storytelling in the end.

Sure, I loved the show, and was entertained. But I can't help but feel let down by the finale. If it was the writer's intention to polarize viewers, mission accomplished.
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    I also just watched the final episodes yesterday and I got to say I kinda did not really care what the island was. I loved the ending, because I wanted to know what was going to happen to the characters.

To me the island represented our souls / fears / joys / happiness and all these emotions that us humans have. All of the characters had a shitty, lonely and miserable lives and this island allowed them to look deeper into their souls to try to answer their own questions. Obviously if the whole plot from the beginning was to be about a bright light and spirituality then I am sure that would have killed the show.

The producers had to add that sci-fi / mystical element to get you and of course if you were one of those Oceanic survivors interested and intrigued and have a purpose to fight and try to leave the island. But deep down the series was about humanity. I can see how easy we can get attached to the science and facts and we so desperately need answers to everything we could not understand.

To me the island was just an entity that gave those characters a chance to perfect themselves and become better people. Obviously some made it and some failed which can be reflected by who was at the church.

Bottom line is, I have never felt or experienced these kinds of emotions / attachments to characters from any other show on prime time TV as I did with lost. And for that, the show was awesome dudes.

"Live together, die alone!" That's just what Jack went through.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was amazing, eyes all watery!,
    but i cannot connect a good bunch of dots at this point.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Really? We men's.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I am sad you resurrected this thread and reminded me of the ending of LOST.

Near the end of the series the fun was all in the phenomena and watching along with people and the internet, much less the actual show. Not that I hated it, it just wasn't strong or particularly good.

I have a shelved Hurley T-Shirt that I haven't worn in months.

Enjoy the earlier seasons though!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I dunno, I thought the entire series was fantastic, including the ending. Different strokes, I suppose.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I still haven't gotten over that last season of LOST. Unforgivable :(
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    No need to even have a flash-whatever going on, they would have had more time spent with the losties while they were still alive, hell, they would have avoided the whole 'dead the whole time of the flashes' BS altogether.

Still got a lot of <3 for Lost though.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I just finished re-watching the first 3 seasons. Was still quite enjoyable.

But I can't bring myself to watching the last 3. The very last season in particular was what did it for me. I hated it so much that it's painful to watch.

First three are still cool though it seems.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved Lost from beginning to end. The very last episode felt a bit rushed, but more in the sense of "I want MOAR", less in that I wouldn't agree with ending the story like this.

It's true though: A lot of the fun back then was watching it parallel with millions of people on the internet, with flat mates who needed to catch up episodes, work mates talking about episodes, etc.. The whole thing went totally viral, in how it became basically the pop-culture phenomenon and the ongoing movie you had to see.

I would love to see a spin off series or a movie or a game that catches the same mood and characters (and not that crappy via lost game)...
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    I have to say I have no complaints with lost not even the ending. The mysteries were great but it was all about how amazign the character developement was. People who are too wrapped up in the mysteries and needing explinations don't like the ending but really think about, is there any possible way to explain the questions with any sort of satisfaction? Mysteries are great because it leaves everyone wondering and trying to come up with their own solution, why ruin that?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    So basically this thread will periodically resurface to remind everyone they disagreed with each other on the ending huh ? :)

I guess I'll chunder on then! I loved it, start to finish I found there was something for me to enjoy, but then I pegged what the title of the show meant early on. I also like puzzles.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved the journey, I loved the discussions and the speculations along the way, that was probably the best part.

One thing I didn't like was "previously on lost" for the first 15min. Seriously if you tell me 815 crashed on an island one more time... I get the itch to go back and watch it but the time filling recap is brutal in DVD format, I KNOW I JUST WATCHED IT 3 seconds ago...

EDIT:
    The ending was still better than looping it back to the beginning so the next episode after the season finale, would be the first episode.

Causing you to sit in front of your TV with your 1970's Dharma jumpsuit on, watching in an endless loop the entire series over and over again, until you finally stand up and say "It all makes sense now..." then start making plans to set up a "save the polar bears" foundation and instead of saving them, stock pile them, to unleash on a future target of your choosing...