Home General Discussion

L O S T

Replies

• leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    liked the last episode, but they better have a damn good plot to go with it ! :P
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Micheal could be dead (He was on the boat when it exploded), since Hurley is seeing him.
  • yeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne wrote: »
    It isn't like a world-within-a-world Matrix, it's really an alternate possible future. The thing is, the Sideways world is the wrong future - not the way things are supposed to be, not what god/the universe intended. I wish I could think of a great example of this, as it's common in a lot of SF/fantasy writing, but nothing is coming to mind :( Maybe Quantum Leap is a good example.

About Desmond, his unique ability is to move through time with just his mind. Remember the episode The Constant from the 4th season (my all time fave Lost ep), when Desmond from the current timeline kept slipping back to the past. It was current Desmond who, in his past self's body, traveled to Cambridge to meet Faraday the first time. It's also how he was able to tell Penny to answer the phone when he called her years and years into the future.

Tonight, we saw the current Desmond travel from the real timeline reality to the Sideways timeline reality. He remained there from the moment he 'came to' in front of the Oceanic Air luggage gate display until he made contact with Penny, who is the real Desmond's constant. Making contact with her returned current Desmond's mind to his real body, just seconds after he left. This is the real reason Widmore wanted him on the island - not that Desmond can survive major electromagnetic events, but because he's the one person who can move through all possible times and futures.

I have no idea how it's all going to play out, but GOD DAMN if tonight's episode didn't get me excited to see how they tie it all together :)

I agree with Desmond having the unique ability of traveling through time and alt-universes, rather than simply flashing sideways like everyone else. I think the key note here is that Desmond is the only one not on the original Oceanic 815, but still took the plane in the alternative reality.
  • yeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof wrote: »
    Sayid: come with me.
    Desmond: sure thing! (faints)

Yeah, that's gotta be the coolest moment of Desmond Hume
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glib wrote: »
    'What if I told you that God and the devil made a wager for the souls of all mankind?

No direct contact -- just influence...see who would win. '

--- Constantine

Much more than this and influencing to the above is the Faust by Goethe which again is an spin-off from The Book Of Hiob from the bible. But yeah, basically that's what Jacob and the MiB seem to do all the time.
  • WesleyTack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
    I wasn't sure about the MRI Desmond got, the numbers on the scanner, are they the same as the degree they had to take to leave the island with the boat, at the ending of season 1 or 2 I believe, where Walt left? wasn't that also 215° (maybe the MRI scan meant something as well). Just a thought I had :)
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    AHAHAHAH did that ugly girl just blow up? AHAHAHAH FINALY, what a useless character, what lies in the shadow of the statue Pffffff shut it shut it!

Ah, sorry, but that was Great.!

edit: OH WAIT, locke getting OWN by desmond car, is the best moment ever.

Interesting episode, lots of small interesting fact.

ben
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i liked they were playing willy wonka from the tunnel scene for the previews next week. :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ahahaha. Fucking AWESOME episode

I wonder if the deaths in the each universe (locke in ATL, Desmond on the island) will impact their other-sides? I also thought it was great how locke killed desmond and desmond killed locke. so sweet.

Desmond is totally not dead though.

I am left to wonder what's up with Locke now that he's dead in both.
    so interesting seeing everyone 'remember'. yay hugo!

& now we have an answer to those whispers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Those whispers used to come around whenever the Others were drawing near too. I wonder what the deal with that is. Unless the early Other encounters were just in more well-haunted areas of the island. It makes me really curious what they've been saying now too. There are transcripts around online, but the audio samples that go with them look nothing like what they say.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    I don't think Locke is dead bounch.

That was a great episode. I for one, am glad that one chick blew up. Really grating character.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    bounchfx wrote: »
    ahahaha. Fucking AWESOME episode

I wonder if the deaths in the each universe (locke in ATL, Desmond on the island) will impact their other-sides? I also thought it was great how locke killed desmond and desmond killed locke. so sweet.

I don't think either Desmond or Locke are dead. Desmond hit Locke with the car so he would have a near death experience and see the other timeline. I guess because he had no lover in that timeline to help him see it (he's already with Helen in the alt timeline). I just don't think Desmond is dead either. The well wasn't that deep and clearly had water at the bottom to help break the fall.

Awesome episode. I was afraid when Michael popped up that he would spoil it, but his role was very brief.

Lots of action!
    Ilana blew up (I was wondering at the time why she was so nonchalant with the VERY unstable dynamite that they really emphasized was UNSTABLE earlier in the series. I was thinking something was going to blow up.)
    Desmond got thrown down a well (also at the time I was kind of expecting something like this to happen.)
    Locke was hit with a car
    Black Rock got demolished
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know why you'd think the well 'clearly had water'. I didn't hear a splash. They show, for next week, Desmond sitting at the bottom of the well.

They also show Locke on a stretcher, so I'm sure he's rushed to the hospital, and survives. I agree though, it may trigger him seeing his alternate reality. But death obviously has nothing to do with their other lives now, because Libby and Charlie are alive in the alternate timeline.

Great episode. The chick blowing up was sweet. And I laughed pretty good watching Hurley running away from the Black Rock.
  • WesleyTack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
    notman wrote: »
    I don't know why you'd think the well 'clearly had water'. I didn't hear a splash.

There was a very clear water splash for sure, wasn't even that deep as mentioned above.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I'll have to watch that part over, but it sounded like sand/rocks settling to me. Not water. I thought it was crap the torch hit on the way down.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah I'm not sure why my mind jumped to point out that they were both dead now, when I don't think either of them are. Locke was close and clinging to life (thus perhaps triggering his vision of his other life.. which would be weird now that it's all like... evil.. :P) and Desmond of course ain't gonna go out like no punk bitch!
  • KING-TAHARKA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey what's up with miles's dad? he looked pretty much young there... aren't he supposed to be dead or really old kind of like ben's dad?
    is he one of these never die guys now?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    man, seeing illana blow up was awesome!!! hahahahahahahha. As soon as she was putting water in her bag i told my girlfriend "ARR CAPTAIN SHE'S GONNA BLOW!" 3 seconds later, BLAMOO!!!!! I dont know why, but I was laughing like crazy. Jack can live now, all the episodes with her in it were worth that death scene.

I agree with Locke needing a near-death experience from Desmond hitting him. When it happens, locke's eyes widen like he is "seeing" something, like how Desmond first showed him "the light" from the hatch. I see this as Desmond showing him the light again.

I kinda liked Jack in this episode, and said some pretty cool stuff - that "maybe he's supposed to take the sidelines." i kept thinking Hurley would realize he's supposed to step up and be a leader - but he was doin that already.

I also really dug Desmond's line "why is there any reason to fear at all.." or something to that effect. It really struck a chord with me, as its kind of how i like to live my life.

They were very literal with Michael too.. "we're the ones who can't pass on..." is being pretty blatant with the spiritual theories, dunno. I think unless hurley explicitly says it, then its not to be trusted, as he has always been the most blunt, straight-forward, and easy-to-interpret answer giver in the series (re: time travel).

No mention of Empire Strikes Back though, sad :(
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    moose wrote: »
    No mention of Empire Strikes Back though, sad :(

Ahaha, yeah I felt the same. I was hoping that for a Hurley episode they would have some more Star Wars references.:)

It's for sure that Desmond hit Locke to trigger him seeing. It's the same way both Desmond and Charlie saw. A near death experience. Desmond is out to show everyone the other timeline. So with Locke the way he did it was to hit him with the car. I hope he does more brutal ones like this, just for fun. Especially to Kate, Sayid and Claire.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and I think the reasons they heard the voices when the others were around, was maybe spirits trying to warn the losties.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    I agree with Locke needing a near-death experience from Desmond hitting him. When it happens, locke's eyes widen like he is "seeing" something, like how Desmond first showed him "the light" from the hatch. I see this as Desmond showing him the light again.
    There's a pretty strong parallel to what Jacob did over the course of their lives to bring them to the island the first time and what Desmond is doing now in the alternate reality.

I think Jacob is using Desmond as a bridge between the two realities?

I really want to know whats up with the cabin boy kid showing up by flock kind of taunting him.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Desmond's back! Hooray!!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Shame on any of you who are happy the hot one with the big tits got blown up.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Shame on any of you who are happy the hot one with the big tits got blown up.

Juliet got crushed at the beginning of the season, not blown up.

edit: ok she kinda blew up
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    The brunette hot one with the big tits.

Though I also miss Juliette.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I just miss the tits. :(

Can't wait to see Des does next! :D
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    The Star Wars references probably cost big bucks to include. You could tell the budget got tighter when they introduced the CG shark/sub.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Are you kidding? I'm glad they're both dead. They were both annoying. Although we all know dead doesn't mean shit on this island. . .
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    so, is Desmond in the Flash Sideways/paralle univers acctualy jacob? Cause he seem to know a lot, hes likes annoying like jacob was aswell.

Its funny that jake know "believe or so" hes there for a reason, and fake locke wanna get the fuck out of the island, Reversal role I guess...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    oh man, the buildup in this episode was fucking killer. 2 more then the finale. URGH.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    [MILES] wrote: »
    The Star Wars references probably cost big bucks to include. You could tell the budget got tighter when they introduced the CG shark/sub.

there was one last night! go hurley! hahahaha
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    3 more than finale.
    "The Candidate"
    "Across the Sea"
    "What They Died For"
    "The End" (two hour episode)

and i still feel like their dragging their feet. answer some fucking questions already. hey-zeus!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I thought What They Died For and The End were showing the same night? I read that it was a 3 hour finale night. damn
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Strange epidose, Jack and Locke are now stuck together, much like Jacob and the MiB. The rest of the good guys are in the lurch because of Widmore, probably because of Claire being there. I really hope they answer more on the people that used to live there/egyptian style people.
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    I really hope they answer more on the people that used to live there/egyptian style people.

the writers have specifically said they will not be addressing that at all in the series. so you'll have to look forward to the inevitable books/movies/spinoffs/magazine/art books/etc/etc/etc for that info.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Rerun tonight? Wtf
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Slum wrote: »
    Rerun tonight? Wtf

yup.. they announced this a few weeks ago. very sad :(
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hadn't heard of this ... fuckers! They don't have much time left!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw the subtitles come up and my jaw just dropped. I'm pissed.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    no kidding. I've been waiting for tonight. And now... nada.
  • illadam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illadam polycounter lvl 14
    I know the first thing I did was type in google "What no new episode of lost tonight?" such a bummer.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it starts back up until May 4th.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    you're right miles! good thing that's next week :D
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    FUCK! I was looking forward to a new episode all day!
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    you're right miles! good thing that's next week :D

...and a Tuesday no less! :D
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Jin AND sun, Fuck U

Sayid whatever, lapidus whatever, But Jin and sun, NOway.

I was hoping for jack or dirty claire. DAMN!

this show is full of pattern, Lock asking Jack to trust him, Jack asking Sawer to trust him. Gah.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    WHAT THE FUCK.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    geez, what a depressing episode. Kill off Claire, not Sun and Jin! Dammit! They spent 2 seasons seeking each other and they are finally united at the bottom of the ocean :(
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Im so sad. Jack go get Desmond Brotha!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    SO awesome. and I love the dialog trade between jack and locke at the end of the ep in the hospital. CALLBACCCKKKK. so good.