Home Contests & Challenges Archives Low Poly Challenge

LPC vol2 #2 - action film - heros & baddies

Replies

• Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
  • genericnamedave
    Jasonin3D...looks like you have exceeded the 700tris limit by your own admission of 564 polys-- which is 1128 tris. He looks good-- probably due to the additional geometry! :)

I have to agree with achillesian-- Silk Spectre does look a little squat. But overall the Watchmen ensemble is quite impressive.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    harry - nice work!
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    silk spectre 2 and comedian look out of proportion some how, head to body, also the comedians face is kinda weird

Agree with Achillesian - If you scaled down their heads 80% they'd look more in proportion. Also Dr M's dong needs a bigger schlong - at least from how I remember him in the film - and the audience reaction every time they did a wide shot of him.
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :poly122:made a mistake it's not polys it's tris!! my bad! it's my first time doing this, noob mistake! as soon as I get back home I'll fix that up! and I'll post my textures too.... Thanks!

genericnamedave ... I'll take it as a compliment, since it's tris not polys!

Gegrazion.. Yeah, the sceond weapon is black, thought I'd get away with it too!! lol ..Ok, I'll texture the nunchucks!

Harry... I love your scene made me laugh cause I forgot that, looks awesome!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    harry, thats obiously scifi, it plays 50 or so years in the future (hahahaha)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    gegrazion: Thanks, but there's no way I'm a contender. Have you seen some of the others? They're waaaaaay better. Your characters are great, by the way, very refreshing in this competition.

BradMyers: Thank you too. As for yours, I'll have to agree with the others, it's spot on. I'd just make the wrinkles on the forehead less obvious, they're a bit distracting as it is now.

Jasonin3D: I don't know how you made that final render, but it's not doing your model any good. It looks like it's scaled up or something? The model is too good to end up with such jagged edges ;) .

achillesian: Thanks, I played with the proportions a bit and they do look better now. Anything in particular that I should change on the Comedian's face? He's very difficult to get right.

genericnamedave: Another thanks. Proportions are now changed, Spectre's a bit taller. I didn't realise she'd stand that much taller than Ror, but I looked at some images and apparently she does (it's probably the high heels).

JohnnySix: 80% is ridiculously much (it's about half the volume of the original), but they are scaled down now. Don't know about Dr. Manhattan, though, I think people overreacted to his nudity... and I'd rather have his nether polygons catch too little attention than too much :p !

Harry: Very nice. Works amazingly well at that resolution too.

No visual update from me today.
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im feeling so angry right now, ive never rigged something b4 and i never want to do it lol ive tried for hours to get it right but for some reason wen i start changing the topology around a little all the concetinos get fuked up, so i try retype them in but it doesnt work arghghghghg
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swi bout my rant lol for some reason i restarted maya and it works now, wtf, my crack must be little mess up :) bk to rigging
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright thanks guys for the crits, I made a texture for the nunchuck ( I likey!) and I fixed his face up cause at 11pm sometimes you miss stuff. and posted the textures, I hope you like! thanks again!
    blackDynamiteFini.jpg
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    massive improvement, love the new face. btw how do u make an alpha map and aply it to ur model? im a bit of a noob lol swi
  • Red Handed Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Handed Gamer polycounter lvl 10
    Hey everyone! I know I'm working a little slow on this guy, but all my other classes are getting in the way! >_<

Anyway, here's Jack's texture in progress. If anyone wouldn't mind giving me some feedback for the painting style/direction I'm going with so far, I would greatly appreciate it.

My professor, isn't too crazy for low poly stuff, and he doesn't seem to like the idea of me doing this as a project (which he waited two weeks into the semester to tell me), but that doesn't matter. Tell me what you think, and be honest, I can take it.

Untitled-1-3.jpg
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can someone tell me how long we have til the comp ends? like date and time please
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its too early to say much apart from ur wrinkles look a little noisey, if ur going for a painter look it would be nice flowing strokes. the most important part of a character is the face so once u do that then the rest always falls into place
  • Taizy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taizy79 polycounter lvl 14
    Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in all his glory. Straight from the Rundown.
    Character: tris 694
    Shotgun: tris 96

dj_22.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    gegrazion wrote: »
    can someone tell me how long we have til the comp ends? like date and time please

midnight Sept 30th

I'll add the final submissions thread today
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    massive improvement, love the new face. btw how do u make an alpha map and aply it to ur model? im a bit of a noob lol swi

Well I'm guessing the step-by-step are gonna be a little different depending wich program you use but basically, you create a black and white image (assigning black or white for transparancy) and you link it in the transparency attribute of your texture just like you would attach an image to the color attribute. Hope this helps
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    I went ahead and (hopefully) fixed the proportion problems, did an unwrap and am now texturing (my big weak point normally).

foura.png

and the texture so far:

diffuse.png
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jasonin3d: thanks alot man ill try it owt :)
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since theres 6 days left im gonig to do another character, im not goin to finish the lion tho i just never fell in love wit doing him, wasnt interested enough i guess :)
  • TipsyMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A friend showed me this website and I really want to participate in this contest. I'm going to do Mad Max. WIP's to come.
  • TipsyMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoops! I didn't see that someone else was doing Mad Max. I went ahead and decided to do JCVD from Universal Soldier. Almost finished modeling it now.
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    need more help guys, im rigging my character very basicaly, ive weighted him and ive made some controls but havent made any conections yet, im only using fk and this is in maya 2008. now the local rotation is perfect, ive freezed transformations, given the controls all names, got the pivot points perfect so im ready to constain the controls to the bones. i tried parenting the bones to the controls and it donest work, it cuts the bones of each other so it isnt a joint chain anymore rather just a joint. instead i went to display - transform display - selection handles and ive now got some controls, but some of them dont have forzen transformations simply becos i roated the bones to fit them in place in the rigging process. so i try parent the selcection handles to the controls and the local rotation on the fingers has moved, i try go to the bones and everything is fine.im so close to finishing the panda if i can solve this issue i can move on to the environment. thanks alot

edit post- i figured it out, i need to change the rotation of the pivot from the controls but i dont no how to do that?
  • genericnamedave
    need more help guys, im rigging my character very basicaly, ive weighted him and ive made some controls but havent made any conections yet, im only using fk and this is in maya 2008. now the local rotation is perfect, ive freezed transformations, given the controls all names, got the pivot points perfect so im ready to constain the controls to the bones. i tried parenting the bones to the controls and it donest work, it cuts the bones of each other so it isnt a joint chain anymore rather just a joint. instead i went to display - transform display - selection handles and ive now got some controls, but some of them dont have forzen transformations simply becos i roated the bones to fit them in place in the rigging process. so i try parent the selcection handles to the controls and the local rotation on the fingers has moved, i try go to the bones and everything is fine.im so close to finishing the panda if i can solve this issue i can move on to the environment. thanks alot

edit post- i figured it out, i need to change the rotation of the pivot from the controls but i dont no how to do that?

In your animation menu, there is a 'Constraints' drop down menu, use the 'Parent' constraint to have the control handle control the joint (select the handle, then the joint, then select 'Parent' constraint). You'll see your joint(s) turn purple when properly constrained...move your handle and the joint will move too. You would then use normal Parents for control handles in relation to each other, such as the torso control parenting the head control-- your FK controls aren't parented to the body, but they are parented to the global control (all controls and FK handles are parented by the global control, a large controler that sits at the feet).

Maybe orient yor joints when you first laid them out. Make sure your controls are snapped to the joint points properly, then Freeze Transforms on the control, you want it zeroed out.
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genericnamedave: ive tried alll that, i have relaised the problem tho, i ned to parent contrain the ctrls to the bones but when i do it the bones rotation changes and follows the ctrls rotation axis. i dont no how to change the rotation of the ctrl whilst keeping the transformation zeroed owt. ive spent like hours trying to do it and i just cant, ive never rigged owt b4 its jsut a pain in the arse. is there a function where u can change it like u would the bones rotation axis? thanks alot and hope to hear your reply

heres a diagram of what i mean

jointproblem.jpg
  • genericnamedave
    I would suggest laying out your joints again-- you can lay the knew ones to the existing ones using the 'snap-to-point' method, then orient your joints then.

I'm not sure why you are trying to control a joint 'tip'....
  • Red Handed Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Handed Gamer polycounter lvl 10
    Another update. Almost done >_<

Untitled-1-4.jpg

and for teh lulz...

lol_face.jpg
  • genericnamedave
    This is what I meant by trying to rig a joint tip. Joint tips are usually just anchors in a way. If you see this animation, there are 'joint tips' at the ends of the fingers and on the crown of the head. They have zero weight painted to them, and when I did lay them out, they do tend to have their orientation move about. My controls are placed minimally, one for the head, one for hand (with lots of set-driven keys to move the fingers).
    Rigging.gif
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    red handed gamer hahaha i love it man, realy refreshing to see someone do something funny, seriously love the character mate :)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Fuck, why didn't I see this before... I love this stuff, I guess I'll give it a try in the time left.
    I've started the mesh but I want to tweak some things better before I post it so I don't get crits on an early wip.

Some sexy work in here :)

[edit] Decided to go for Wolverine from Origins. Still a lot to tweak but the model weighs in at 672 tris and I'll be using a single 256x256. Still some tris to play with and add alpha planes and such. It has sci-fi in the description on IMDB but it also has action and I noticed there are a fair few entries from the Watchmen which also has Sci-fi in its info. Hope its ok.

model.jpg
  • Azimn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b8mu80.jpg

Here is a WIP Update I think i am almost done but I need to lower res the texture and fix the hair...
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the in-game shot, can we draw in a basic HUD/menu to make it look more like a mockup?
  • Azimn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was curous about the textures I saw it is 4 128s or 1 256.. Can that be 1 256 TGA with an Alpha channel?
  • Azimn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here I posed him Please tell me what you guys think.11jnryh.jpg
  • genericnamedave
    Azimn wrote: »
    Here I posed him Please tell me what you guys think.

He looks very good overall. Good proportions, textures, I can tell who it is (nice choice!). Very well done.

The only advice I would offer is to compress the collar a bit, have the tie knot rest a bit lower, give him a more visible neck line/jaw line...he almost looks neckless. Don't be afraid to have his lower jaw overlap the collar a touch. Overall he looks really good, just a bit unnatural from the neck up.

Just some food for thought: he almost looks like he is standing with his back to us, but got all exorcist on this mofo and turned his head 180 degrees. Make sense? Hard for me to describe!
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still struggling for accuracy, would love some advice

lpc2_8.jpg
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okno: i do like what youve done but heres some things that might help. his eyes look too small, his hair colour looks too light, kinda ginger, he has more prominant bags. big forehead wrinkle, try dirty up the face texture a bit, looks way too shiney. sounds like alot i no but u do have a very good likness hope to see an update shortly :)
  • genericnamedave
  • TipsyMonk
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A start on the face texture.

texstart.jpg

Hope I can finish on time for once.
  • Jakten_hizeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm damn slow coming into this challenge, as I just started today haha. I just also found out about it though. Anyways, I'm going to do the movie The Good, The Bad, The Weird a korean western style action movie. Here is the reference of the 3 characters:
    thegoodthebadtheweird.jpg
    And here is my current model of "The Weird":
    weird01rot.gif
    He is currently 690 tris
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xaltar: the texturing is good but few things bugging me. i love the face but the wrinkles on the top look mirrored and not subtle enuf, the belt looks fuzzy and the wrinkles on the knees look to slack. light is coming from above so the shading on the forearms near the joint are too dark, i understand your trying to make it show contours but be more subtle. now regards to your model you need to distribute your polys more wisely. you dont have enuf loops in your model to make it animate properly. his knees have too many polys ( belive it or not, after u watch this tut ull understand what i mean ) what you need to do is add a loop above the knee and below it so when the knee bends it will retain the main bulk. remove some poly from his fingers cos theres way too many, remove the half loop from the neck, the loop on the pit will just concave when u close the arm giving realy bad shading also. when u make a low poly model you need to think whats most important, the fact his hand has a nice silouete or the fact he moves really smoothly? i hope this helps :)

http://www.pig-brain.com/tut02/tut02_02.htm

modelk.jpg

presentationshot.jpg
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    JOhnnysix: well some of your loops could be optomised so heres a few tuts to show how to model joints so they deform better.

http://www.pig-brain.com/tut02/tut02_01.htm
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/tips/limb_deformations.gif
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/tips/shoulder_deform.jpg

Thanks for the links dude - really wish I'd have had more free time to work on this one. Times I do I've just managed to break it more lol. :poly117:

Mariachi_WIP_02_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gegrazion, thanks dude, I have added a few loops here and there and optimized a bit more since my first post. I'm doing a basic rig to pose him tonight so I'll take a look at how he deforms. The 2 loop joint I have found works best for this low poly stuff but thats just preference, there are loads of different views on this topic. Basicly, so long as I don't get any outright squashing of the limb I'm happy. A bit of overlapping/ collapsing can be forgiven at this polycount and at the res these will be displayed.

I'll look at the forehead again and see if I can correct the wrinkles.

I have just started the jeans, still very early wip there ;)

I'll give the forearms another pass to fix up the lighting info, thanks, I didn't spot that.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I'm calling this texture done now. I still have to rig and come up with some poses. :)

I have a question for Hawken: is it an absolute requirement to render the final images without texture filtering? The PSP does actually support texture filtering.

Anyway, without much further ado, here's what I have:

Cherry_Darling_wip03.jpg
  • genericnamedave
    ooooo nice work Demon Princess! Flawless as you can get for such a low poly character. I like how you managed to squeeze the gun into the texture...I would've followed the rules to the letter and modeled and textured it separately instead of treating it as a limb-- you managed to pull it off! Nice.

I like the junk in the trunk. Her upper abdomen/rib cage seems a touch too pointed outward, almost as much as the boobs.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I would've followed the rules to the letter and modeled and textured it separately instead of treating it as a limb-- you managed to pull it off! Nice.

I considered doing that actually... But the gun ended up well over a 100 tris and at 64x64 pixels I would not have been able to give it enough texture space compared to the body. So then I decided to just make it as part of the body. :)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    DemonPrincess: RMB -> Save image as...

Hawken: are we limited to just one ingame and one beauty image? And do we have to provide the wires and textures for everything, even boring backgrounds and such?
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    I realize I probably won't finish the church before the end of the competition but I'll try to finish it on my own time because of school.

Church from movie at resolution: 500 tris in total.
    church1.png
    Ref:
    church1.png
This discussion has been closed.