Home Contests & Challenges Archives Low Poly Challenge

LPC vol2 #2 - action film - heros & baddies

Replies

• gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bit confused, it says enviroment is only 500tris, but i want all my objects destructable, does this mean so long as it breaks it wont be included within my 500 poly limit? cos then ill make prety much everything destructable :) ( if i have time )
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does any1 use bodypaint 3d? i just got it and there is nooooo tutorials to show how to use it, seriously this is silly i cnt find any that are useful, help please.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I use bodypaint, and I must say I couldn't imagine not using it for low poly characters like this. Bodypaint is ideal for this type of work IMO.
    Here are the tutorial you are after:
    http://www.vfxcast.com/search/
    Search bodypaint, and you'll get like 5 pages of stuff.
    Also, your very own Poop (Ben Mathis) here has some great tutorials that cover Bodypaint a bit. Check it out here: http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Body Paint 3D Quick Start Guide.

Start up bodypaint,
    1. Go directly to window [tab]

2. Go to layout, choose BP 3D Paint, then choose in the same tab save as startup layout,

3. Go into file open,locate your model, alt+LMB controls the zoom, alt right click controls rotations,

4. Go into materials tab (bottom right), file new material, double click the mat icon that pops up, color+spec should be automatically checked ( I turn spec off) in the material editor, locate your texture file,

5. Close the material editor,

6. Click on the RED X in (materials tab) to enable 3d painting, drag the mat icon
    under materials to your 3d model in the viewport,

7. Click on the texture tab near view to see your texture uv's.

8. (Tips) You can move the windows anyway you like after your done save the layout, and it should always appear in that layout everytime you start up BD3D.

Click on the layers tab to add new layers colors ect...

The Attributes tab allows you to change your brush settings.

Enjoy!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Or.... if you didn't want to learn a new app in the remaining time - utilise (the latest) mudbox's paint layers ability to atleast get the basic design down without seams....
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bradmyers: wow thanks alot mate ur a legend, these will help so much, and bodypaint will defo speed texturing up.

sinz: hey cheers for the quickstart im going to use bodypaint for my next character (if i have time)

ive done most of the texturing for this guy now, there are seams but ill sort um owt at the end with the rest of the little probs, im just looking for broad ideas that might need changing not realy the fine tuning. also on the body there isnt alot of texture space since his pants and face were the most important thing. i cba changing the uvs again since ive done so much so what can i do to make the upper half fit the lower half more? thnaks alot hope to here ur comments :)

pandafullbodycopy.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    gegrazion: Wow man, that is looking really nice!
    There is only one thing that bothers me and that's the reflection in the eye.

I'm assuming it's because you have the uv's of the face mirrored, but as a result you have the reflection mirrored, which looks slightly off (the eye reflection should be going to the right on both sides or the left on both sides). But, it's probably to late to change, so you might just want to make note of this for next time.

The other thing you might want to play around with is some very subtle dark grey values to make the forms of the black areas stand out more.

Anyways, these are very small crits so great job! :)

Oh, and if you haven't already, don't forget to run an unsharp mask filter. A couple areas are looking a tad blurry.
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unsharp mask filter? what areas seem blurry? yh and ur rite about the eyes lol but it is ment to be a fighting game so no1 will realy notice it tbh. thanks alot :)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please see the various threads in this forum for posting images in the right format (no anti-aliasing, gray background, mobile device screen size)
    ?we have to post the finals in actual device screen size???

Ok assuming this is the size we should be using:
    - 320 x 480
    - 480 x 272
  • achillesian
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entry
    Sarah Connor: Terminator 2: Judgement Day!

Ingame:
    ingamescene.jpg

Wireframe / Triangle counts:
    wireframesandtriangleco.jpg

Character Maps:
    Diffuse:
    sconnordiffuse.jpg
    Spec:
    sconnorspec.jpg
    Alpha:
    sconnoralpha.jpg
    UV Layout:
    sconnoruvlayout.jpg

Scene/Environment Maps:
    Diffuse:
    environmentdiffuse.jpg
    Alpha:
    environmentalpha.jpg
    UV Layout:
    environmentuvlayout.jpg

Weapon Maps:
    Diffuse:
    sweapont.jpg
    Spec:
    sweaponspec.jpg
    UV Layout:
    sweaponuvlayout.jpg

Notes:
    The in game scene is from the actual movie when arnorld first appears between the two trucks, you can see the burn marker under Sarah.

Extra:
    Larger Renders

Could we have spec map for the weapons & environments???

If you guys see anything that needs fixing up or touching up I will get right on it but seeing as I am trying to participate in more than just this comp I had to finish this one first ;).

Awesome stuff guys I can't wait to see your scene's and finals :) great comp idea I hope to participate in many more.
  • achillesian
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    A shit load of people use BP :)

sinz that is awesome. Love it
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good $!nz. One thing is the spec on the M16 is way too strong. M16's have a matte finish for the most part. I'd also double check to see if you are even allowed spec maps for this compo
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    i'm trying bodypaint for my model and i can't seem to get a showless model and my alphas only show when i move my camera :s can anyone help me ?
  • Red Handed Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Handed Gamer polycounter lvl 10
    Just posting progress. Taking longer than I had hoped.
    Getting Jack's likeness is my little hurdle, but again, it's a WIP. I'm thinking of giving him a smirk instead of being Mr. boring neutral face.

Any suggestions are welcome though. :)

Untitled-1-1.jpg
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ravenslayer, where are u getin ur tutorials from for bodypaint, im trying to get as much as pos and watch them all in the next 2 days just so i can jump rite in. i watched all ben mathis tuts on body paint but there not showin how to use it more bout his workflow so didnt realy help me much.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    $!nz: Looks great! The only thing that's a bit of a shame is the difference in texel density between the floor and everything else. Maybe it's better to just lose the burn mark and tile the texture a couple of times?

Here's an update from me. Not happy with this one at all, but he is rather boring.

LPC2ComedianRender.jpg

And playing around with the presentation a bit. DS screen size is probably too low res.

LPCTestFinalManhattan.jpg
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zwebbie: im really liking the texture work only crit is his forearms look weird, the giant vien needs to go.

ive been playing with bodypaint for like 20mins and i can use it but few thigns not sure how to do, i want to change my layout around and i no how to undock the interface just not dock it bk? wen i load my texture in bodypaint and i create a new layer to draw on it wont let me, i select the layer but it wont work, i select the original layer and it lets me draw just on it. also i want to be able to change my materail to a flat shader so i can see the bare texture. does any1 no how to change the way the smudge tool works, so instead of it smearing my texture it softens it, works more like a blur tool?

essay i no but if sum1 can help me it will be greatly apreciated :)
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn guy's some crazy stuff here!
    $!nz - I like the scene, nice work!
    gegrazion - HAha!! Cool Idea! and looking nice too!

So I finnaly got some time to work on him, it's still a wip, but with more style!

BlackDynamitewip2.jpg
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jasonin3d: thanks man. only crit his shoulder region looks bit funny, kinda like a uv seam or sumat. great work cant wait to see every1 finished peices
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Damn, is harder than it looks trying to get a decent outline of a skinny gun-slinging guitar player. :poly127:

Mariachi_WIP_01_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Head is kinda placeholder, and not to scale. :poly141:
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wt date does all this need to be handed in at?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Here is a little update on Bruce Willis model.
    I traded out some polys in the torso (vertically), so that I can make the silhouette more interesting.
    The Uv's are now done, and he has some slight A symmetry going now.

BruceWillis_UltraLP02.jpg

[Edit] Oh, and he is still 700 Tri's exactly.

cool, i recognized him, before i saw your text.
    great job.
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so heres another ortho ive done for my next character. thai lung the main bad guythailung.jpg
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    well I think this is all the work I'll have time to do on this guy, I've been working on 2 other projects that need a lot of attention . I'm fairly happy with how he turned out. I darkened him up and tweaked his hair and some other little tweaks. He's 661 polys, and the weapon is separate.

great work everyone I'm very impressed at the progress many of you have shown very inspiring!

rambo-final.jpg
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior: looking realy nice, u done this much just spend a few more hours puting it all together and getting it finished, be a shame not to mate. really nice silouete only real crit is i think his face looks a little long, great job mate :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    conte: Thank you!
    melkior: The image you posted is broken for me. Wish I could see it :( ...

Well, I baked/painted the basic AO last night, and today I did a little face painting.
    I'm painting the standard quake style lighting so no eyeballs will be painted.
    It's still very WIP, but I'm going to move onto the body now and work on the face some more later, when I have fresh eyes.

Yeah, and I'll be sure to bloody him up later too. Hope he is recognizable still! :)

BruceWillisTexturesWIP01SheetFix.jpg
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Brad that Bruce Willis is kickass!! Love the face!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, thought i'd might give this a go, 6 days left :D

wikus01.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    AARRRGGGGG!!!! 6 days to go? I need to get a move on.

Just a quick update from me I have gotten the texture to a stage I am happy enough with and I am now about to start the helmet ( about time:) ) If I have more time later on I would like to go back through and touch up the texture a little bit more but once I have done the helmet I need to start on a background. I am so behind! :(

Anyway here it is, comments and crits always welcome.

I need to get to work now so I will have to spread some love a little later. sorry :(

D.

66064519.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    This was my original entry,
    14241119.jpg
    But then I read no sci fi and raged for like 3 weeks, then i started this.
    whoopsdidntseeyouthere.gif
    Someone with a very good eye might be able to pick who it is, Not to blow my own trumpet but I think I more or less nailed the likeness.
    Maybe I'll go back to Christopher later.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice alien harry I hope you finish that!

I'm thinking blade for some reason.

Looking good duncan get a damn scene out I want to see what you come up with!

achmedthesnake nice goes with Harry's alien, odd that you two were thinking along the same lines. go go go !
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    conte: Thank you!
    melkior: The image you posted is broken for me. Wish I could see it :( ...

my web host has been freaking out off and on today hopefully itll calm down soon or ill have to complain to the host.

love the bruce willis your working on!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    $!nz wrote: »
    I'm thinking blade for some reason.

Jesus fucking christ I did get the likeness right

Not Blade though :D
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    This was my original entry,
    14241119.jpg
    But then I read no sci fi and raged for like 3 weeks, then i started this.
    whoopsdidntseeyouthere.gif
    Someone with a very good eye might be able to pick who it is, Not to blow my own trumpet but I think I more or less nailed the likeness.
    Maybe I'll go back to Christopher later.

harry - awww ffn awesome work - i was sooo gonna do wikus chris, and the mecha as well as a generic MNU solder but meh.. i''l still do it but not enter it... good practice and portfolio spam.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    oh shit I only just realised you were AUS. bros 4 lyf mang
    edit: to remedy "pointless-post"
    http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4707/blackass.jpg

EDIT2: don't wanna doublepost
    blackassn.jpg

BTW the filenames are a reference to a Bernie Mac quote and thus NOT RACIST
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    gegrazion wrote: »
    yh and ur rite about the eyes lol but it is ment to be a fighting game so no1 will realy notice it tbh. thanks alot :)

why not just put it in the upper middle so it looks like the light is coming from straight above - no problems with mirroring.

great work btw, lovely panda!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Great work, everyone!

LPC2Groupshot.jpg
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi: why didnt i just think of that. what date and time does it have to be finished by? im just updating the textures on me panda been busy latley, sorting out things cos im moving away to teeside university cant wait :)

Harry: looking awsome mate cant wait for the updates
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zwebbie: that is aaaaawwwwwsssssooooommmme totaly love it, man ur defo a contender for 1st place :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Zwebbie: That's awesome man, great job pulling this all together, your a machine!

Harry: Looking great so far!

achmedthesnake: The silhouette looks solid, although the crotch area looks a little high/square.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

TBH, I looked at what I posted this morning and I was pretty shocked at how off it seemed to me (looking at the model with fresh eyes this time).

So, I moved some stuff around on the model, and uv's, and fixed some of the texture up (eyes and chin area).

He has a very subtle A symmetry to his face now, and I'm going to move onto the body now (for real, lol).

Oh and I turned off texture filtering in the viewport for good measure.
    BruceWillisTexturesWIP02.jpg
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bradmyers: that is looking shit hot man, really got the likness spot on.
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well heree an update on my textures on po the panda, ive just played with his face to see what sort of movment the face has, heres how far i am with thai lung. ive also modeled the level going to start texturing it tomorrow, need to get ready now going clubbing :)thailung.jpg
    69669013.jpg
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That panda face looks badass.
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    These are looking effing AWESOME! I will have another WIP soon as well (I got busy with a whole bunch of other stuff and, coming back to it, didn't like how mine was going so I reworked most of it).

My work is shameful compared to Watchmen and Bruce!!!! Well done!
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think I should be participating you guys are goooood!!! well here it is anyways! all done, let me know what ya'll think! Give me some crit if you want more of a challenge next month! hehe

edit : removed the pic to save space on the forum, see the later post for the updated image.
  • gegrazion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    only crit is his weapon looks weird becos its solid black and it seems like u through in a qiuck weapon apart from that looking really nice mate, can u post your textures?
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silk spectre 2 and comedian look out of proportion some how, head to body, also the comedians face is kinda weird
This discussion has been closed.